ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

We tuned in to the Pitt game (SiriusXM) on the way back to Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Observations:
Bill Hillgrove needs retired immediately. He makes glaring mistakes on every series and has to be corrected by Pat Bostick or the producer in his ear.
He is simply awful and makes the broadcast unlistenable.
I feel for Bostick, who not only has to concentrate on doing his job well, but has to pick up Hillgrove constantly.
If he was to listen back to his performance I’m sure he’d reach to same conclusion. Time to hang up the headphones.
It’s Pittsburgh....you know, where Myron Cope had a career in broadcasting.

Ah, The Lair...don't see the funnies in the paper anymore...the lair fills the void.

Reactions: TheGLOV
We tuned in to the Pitt game (SiriusXM) on the way back to Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Observations:
Bill Hillgrove needs retired immediately. He makes glaring mistakes on every series and has to be corrected by Pat Bostick or the producer in his ear.
He is simply awful and makes the broadcast unlistenable.
I feel for Bostick, who not only has to concentrate on doing his job well, but has to pick up Hillgrove constantly.
If he was to listen back to his performance I’m sure he’d reach to same conclusion. Time to hang up the headphones.
Agree on this for sure. I’ve been a fan of Bill Hillgrove for along time, mainly from being the Steelers lead radio announcer ~ Tunch Ilkin/Craig Wolfley have been covering him & correcting him often the past few years. There comes a time when it’s time to give it up and theres no doubt it’s time for Billy Hillgrove.

Agree on this for sure. I’ve been a fan of Bill Hillgrove for along time, mainly from being the Steelers lead radio announcer ~ Tunch Ilkin/Craig Wolfley have been covering him & correcting him often the past few years. There comes a time when it’s time to give it up and theres no doubt it’s time for Billy Hillgrove.
Hillgrove is a great guy and lives a modest lifestyle. He truly is a class act. Sadly he is up there in years and his best broadcasting days are behind him. All the same his voice behind Pitt and the Steelers is an identity. When he decides to move on it will be a sad day.

AWS, normally I click 'like' on your posts but not this time kind sir.

Myron Cop, back in the day when being a journalist had something to do with being a proficient writer, was indeed one of the very, very best. SI can vouch for that.

Separate his voice from his ability and you got a top notch sports journalist sir.

Last edited:
AWS, normally I click 'like' on your posts but not this time kind sir.

Myron Cop, back in the day when being a journalist had something to do with being a proficient writer, was indeed one of the very, very best. SI can vouch for that.

Separate his voice from his ability nd you got a top notch sports journalist sir.
That’s fine, but obviously he would have been better to read than listen to.

That’s fine, but obviously he would have been better to read than listen to.

And, I must add that Myron had a special needs son.

I used to have a tenant in my front house (Carla)

She used to work @Allegheny Valley School and she would occasionally care for Myron's son.

Hence, all proceeds from the sales of all Terrible Towels now go to that school. - Set up by Myron himself sir.

Cope’s voice was very distinctive but he was quite good at his vocation. And, as stated above, he was an exceptional journalist.
Poor Billy, he is truly a class act but his mistakes are way too frequent.

Cope’s voice was very distinctive but he was quite good at his vocation. And, as stated above, he was an exceptional journalist.
Poor Billy, he is truly a class act but his mistakes are way too frequent.

Exactly!

Nobody could come close to writing like Myron did back in the day!

'ArtsandLetters' would have loved this guy!!

Last edited:
Listen to Hilgrove on the Steelers call sometimes. Very rough. Most times, you have no idea what the result of the play was, whether it gained a yard or 20. I understand he's an institution but he is very poor at his job. Way past time for him to give the microphone to a much younger man.

Adding fuel to the fire, when they refer to Penn State on their threads, they speak of the "Pedophile front 7," and the " Ped D. "

That's so confusing, since PSU has been exonerated in court, and their coach was at MSU during the largest pedophile scandal in history.

Reactions: colt21
Picket and McSwirly are not even remotely in the same universe. Anyone with 2 eyeballs can see that Pickett is talent wise head and shoulders above that poser from the cesspool.

Lots of good material right now. I love the suffering of the pitt panthers. Tell some more child rape jokes while you lose, you miserable swine.
You have to give them credit though...even as they lose, they still think they will beat us. Even if they lose to Ohio this week, they will be sure they will beat us. They ignore recruiting and feel that winning is just about wanting it...the poor, delusional little souls.

You have to give them credit though...even as they lose, they still think they will beat us. Even if they lose to Ohio this week, they will be sure they will beat us. They ignore recruiting and feel that winning is just about wanting it...the poor, delusional little souls.

It just sets them up for more suffering, which I endorse. I want to crush these people and squeeze out that last little bit of hope, like the last dollop in a rolled up old tube of Preparation H.

Assholes.

The use of that word is more a reflection on them than it is us.

Absolutely.

If you have to resort to making jokes about sexual assault to insult your sports rival, you have serious issues. Particularly when one considers not a single player or coach on this Penn State team had anything to do with Sandusky (and no Penn State player EVER committed any such assault).

Their program has fallen to the point where they only get satisfaction by rooting against Penn State. How pathetic. But I guess when you have one 10-win season in 36 years, this is how you approach sports.

It's really difficult, at least for me, to distinguish between the legit posters and the trolls on that site.

Last edited:
Picket and McSwirly are not even remotely in the same universe. Anyone with 2 eyeballs can see that Pickett is talent wise head and shoulders above that poser from the cesspool.

I tell you what, there are some classic delusional stuff in that thread. Not just McSorley, but that Barkley sucks too. Even now, they believe that Pickett would be a better QB if he had a competent OC. A more delusional fan base does not exist.

Lots of good material right now. I love the suffering of the pitt panthers. Tell some more child rape jokes while you lose, you miserable swine.

They don't understand that their suffering as a fan base is karma for their behavior. They compensate for their losing by telling more lies about PSU and telling more rape jokes. But that that just makes their karma worse. Conversely, because PSU fans have suffered unjustly for so many years, is why we are going to be rewarded.

Absolutely.

If you have to resort to making jokes about sexual assault to insult your sports rival, you have serious issues. Particularly when one considers not a single player or coach on this Penn State team had anything to do with Sandusky (and no Penn State player EVER committed any such assault).

Their program has fallen to the point where they only get satisfaction by rooting against Penn State. How pathetic. But I guess when you have one 10-win season in 36 years, this is how you approach sports.

To be fair, no PSU player or coach ever had anything to do with Sandusky's crimes. Sandusky was an ex-employee. When PSU employees caught wind that a teen might have been abused, they handled it to the best of their ability by reporting it to his employer... who dropped the ball.

I tell you what, there are some classic delusional stuff in that thread. Not just McSorley, but that Barkley sucks too. Even now, they believe that Pickett would be a better QB if he had a competent OC. A more delusional fan base does not exist.

Pickett is better than McSorley, but Trace always plays better than he actually is.

To be fair I think most Pitt fans are seeing the writing on the wall this year. In general the people posting aren't representative of their fanbase.

90% of the people I have talked Pitt football with expect Penn St to demolish them. They know Pickett sucks. They know Nar dog isnt recruiting. The admit to missing Wanstadt. They hate Penn St though and the idea of rooting against Penn St rather than for Pitt is very real.

Of course I ran into one yesterday who was calling Paterno a child molestor because that is his created reality. I shut him down and then immediately hoped we give them a beating of a lifetime and then "take our ball and go home."

Reactions: marshall23
Most PSU fans would rather that PSU lose the Pitt game if it meant winning all the others (including the conference championship) and making the playoff.

Most Pitt fans would rather that Pitt win the PSU game if it meant losing all the others.

PSU lives rent free in their heads. Waking up every morning is their own private hell.

Last edited:
Most PSU fans would rather that PSU lose the Pitt game if it meant winning all the others (including the conference championship) and making the playoff.

Most Pitt fans would rather that Pitt win the PSU game if it meant losing all the others.

PSU lives rent free in their heads. Waking up every morning is their own private hell.
I have heard this firsthand from a guy I used to work with. I proposed the same scenario you mentioned and he said "of course I would take beating psu and losing the rest" I then said it wouldn't mean psu also lost the rest of the games, they would still probably win at least 8 and then his dumb ass said, "no if that's our only win psu would have to lose all the others"

It was either the smartest remark I've ever heard or the dumbest. I'm still struggling as to which it is...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT