ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates down 4-0 already.

I'm thinking that this is what being a Phillies fan feels like.....

Pitching has fallen apart with not much hope in sight, unless the Bucs bring up at least 3 minor league pitchers, and they have showed not inclination to do that. Liriano's season has fallen apart, and Cole in now hurt and couldn't seem to get the wins even when he pitched well. The other 3 are pot luck and they've been pretty sorry lately with the exception of the one gem that Locke pitched last week.

Earlier in the year the offense would take over some games and get wins when the pitching faltered, but that hasn't happened lately either......

They need to make some moves now. And picking up this catcher looks like desperation to me. Every time I turned on the game the last 2 days I see a passed ball. Wouldn't bringing up a minor league catcher and giving him a chance have been a better move? This guy can't catch and has a career .210 BA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Cervelli on the DL, Liriano not right, bullpen a mess....this could be a rough month for the Bucs.

I'm a big Pirate fan and the Walker for Niese trade was an excellent one for the Bucs, 3 years of a solid starting pitcher for 1 year of the 2nd best 2nd baseman on the roster. Having said that, put a fork in them, they're done.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I'm a big Pirate fan and the Walker for Niese trade was an excellent one for the Bucs, 3 years of a solid starting pitcher for 1 year of the 2nd best 2nd baseman on the roster. Having said that, put a fork in them, they're done.

LOL.. Solid starter?? Neise isn't a solid starter

Reactions: Mixolydian
I'm thinking that this is what being a Phillies fan feels like.....

Pitching has fallen apart with not much hope in sight, unless the Bucs bring up at least 3 minor league pitchers, and they have showed not inclination to do that. Liriano's season has fallen apart, and Cole in now hurt and couldn't seem to get the wins even when he pitched well. The other 3 are pot luck and they've been pretty sorry lately with the exception of the one gem that Locke pitched last week.

Earlier in the year the offense would take over some games and get wins when the pitching faltered, but that hasn't happened lately either......

They need to make some moves now. And picking up this catcher looks like desperation to me. Every time I turned on the game the last 2 days I see a passed ball. Wouldn't bringing up a minor league catcher and giving him a chance have been a better move? This guy can't catch and has a career .210 BA.
Yes Greg, it would be nice to know what it's like to win a world series within the last 10 years

Yes Greg, it would be nice to know what it's like to win a world series within the last 10 years

Not exactly the "City of Champions", as that city is located in Western PA.....

Maybe another tonight!

Not exactly the "City of Champions", as that city is located in Western PA.....

Maybe another tonight!
I love Pittsburgh as well however, look @ Wikipedia for a listing of championships by city. I just don't understand the hate. I grew up in central pa, I like both cities & their teams. It's rather small on your part to have to reference Philly in a negative manner, constantly. That being said, I think we are both going to be very happy shortly

LOL.. Solid starter?? Neise isn't a solid starter
Niese is 6-3 with a 4.60 ERA, not outstanding, but solid average, plus he's lefthanded and under contract for 2 yrs. after this season. Right now, he's a lot better than Liriano. All but the elite have up and down performances.

For statistics buffs this is called regression to the mean. Because of their miserable TV contract the Pirates had no business making 3 straight playoff appearances. It was an aberration. They don't have the money to compete with teams like the Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, etc. These clubs buy good players. The Pirates lose good players to the buyers. If the Pirates had money, their starting pitchers would include JA Happ, Volquez, and likely Cole Hamels. Instead they have a group of low priced stiffs. They will soon lose Cole and McCutchen to teams in better markets. Five years from now the Pirates will be fighting with the Reds and Brewers for last place and Hurdle will have been sacrificed. It's a shame but that is the way it is in baseball.

Niese is 6-3 with a 4.60 ERA, not outstanding, but solid average, plus he's lefthanded and under contract for 2 yrs. after this season. Right now, he's a lot better than Liriano. All but the elite have up and down performances.

Good grief a 4.60 ERA for a starter is not "solid" or "average". It borderline sucks. His W/L record is because they scored a bunch of runs for him on several starts early in the season. Niese has had a few good starts but has mostly been below average. Pitchers like him are a dime a dozen and therefore having him under contract at almost $10 mil a year is not valuable at all. If you're lefty and you suck, you still suck. I am not high on Walker at 2B but thought they could have gotten more more him than the Mets 6th or 7th best starter.

Good grief a 4.60 ERA for a starter is not "solid" or "average". It borderline sucks. His W/L record is because they scored a bunch of runs for him on several starts early in the season. Niese has had a few good starts but has mostly been below average. Pitchers like him are a dime a dozen and therefore having him under contract at almost $10 mil a year is not valuable at all. If you're lefty and you suck, you still suck. I am not high on Walker at 2B but thought they could have gotten more more him than the Mets 6th or 7th best starter.
The average ERA in the major leagues is around 4.10 and relievers tend to be a bit lower than the starters. No one is saying Niese is anything special, but for the Pirates right now, he is a mid rotation starter and not on the top of the list to lose his spot in the rotation.

The average ERA in the major leagues is around 4.10 and relievers tend to be a bit lower than the starters. No one is saying Niese is anything special, but for the Pirates right now, he is a mid rotation starter and not on the top of the list to lose his spot in the rotation.

Because Locke and now Liriano are performing at levels near the worst for starters in the NL doesn't make Niese solid. Dime a dozen stuff...

I always thought that Walker was going to eventually solve the Pirates' chronic first base problem. He is a decent hitter and I think could have become a solid first baseman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT