ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA football state championship game threads

State title game in AAAA was TJ vs Erie Prep. Cherpak is a whiner. Every year he bitches about Prep having an all star team. Prep should move up, but Cherpak isnt just growing them stronger in Jefferson Hills

Reactions: Cosmos
Now 68-7

Southern has also set record for most points in a season topping Terrell Pryor and the Jeanette Jayhawks standing record.

Reactions: TheGLOV
SC is not private. Have commits going to Wisky, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich st, Brown and New Hampshire

SC is not private. Have commits going to Wisky, Ohio St, Michigan, Mich st, Brown and New Hampshire
From Wiki:

Southern Columbia Area High School is a small, rural public high school located in Catawissa, Pennsylvania. It is the sole high school operated by Southern Columbia Area School District. In 2013, Southern Columbia Area High School reported an enrollment of 437 pupils in grades 9th through 12th, with 23.5% of its pupils eligible for a federal free or reduced price lunch due to the family meeting the federal poverty level.

In athletics, also outstanding in wrestling and track and field. Above average academically based on graduation percentage and average test scores.

I don’t think the 6 classifications is working. More mis-matches.
It is definitely a disaster. I get it on some areas of the state, but overall, it is ridiculous. (See thread from a few weeks ago regarding the decline of population through the coal region).

NEPA football champions

Congrats to the Wyoming Area Warriors football team in their comeback win over Central Valley. Down 14 - 0 in the third quarter they scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to win the PIAA 3A championship. The last TD scored with seconds remaining.

I know they lost big to Southern Columbia, but this is still a great accomplishmemt.

NEPA football champions

Congrats to the Wyoming Area Warriors football team in their comeback win over Central Valley. Down 14 - 0 in the third quarter they scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to win the PIAA 3A championship. The last TD scored with seconds remaining.

I know they lost big to Southern Columbia, but this is still a great accomplishmemt.
Awesome, I can’t remember the last time a team from the W-B/Scranton area won states. It may have been Dallas in 1993! I recall Riverside and Dunmore getting to Hershey a few times since but I believe they always came up empty (I am aware of Dunmore winning in 89)

They have been crazy strong in the small school PIAA for decades . Perfect storm of their best D1 talent ever there .
School in the Knoebels Grove backyard . Must be the fries with vinegar and Caesaris Pizza fueling athletes .
After the trophy presentation , Fleming gathered the team around and said Get in the weight room Monday , you’ve got big shoes to fill . ..... Seems like the winning attitude , breeds more winning .

They have been crazy strong in the small school PIAA for decades . Perfect storm of their best D1 talent ever there .
School in the Knoebels Grove backyard . Must be the fries with vinegar and Caesaris Pizza fueling athletes .
And any family with a kid they even remotely think is going to be good at football that lives within 25 miles of Southern moves there, given their success over the last 30+ years. Housing is affordable in that whole area and academics are not really an issue, as all the schools there are pretty much the same.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
Awesome, I can’t remember the last time a team from the W-B/Scranton area won states. It may have been Dallas in 1993! I recall Riverside and Dunmore getting to Hershey a few times since but I believe they always came up empty (I am aware of Dunmore winning in 89)
If you count Mt. Carmel, 2000. Otherwise Dallas in 93 and Valley View the year before that.

If you count Mt. Carmel, 2000. Otherwise Dallas in 93 and Valley View the year before that.
Ya, was thinking true Lackawanna/Luzerne teams.

Good run in the late 80’s early 90’s with Hanover Area as well then slim pickens for years.

State title game in AAAA was TJ vs Erie Prep. Cherpak is a whiner. Every year he bitches about Prep having an all star team. Prep should move up, but Cherpak isnt just growing them stronger in Jefferson Hills
What?

TJ beat cathedral prep last week in the semis and destroyed Dallas in Hershey on Thursday, but don’t let facts get in the way of your whine and cheese party.

The last names of the kids, are largely the same as the 70's. The backbone I'd guess are largely true Southern kids. IDK how Fleming came into the mix.
I think the backbone is kids who’s parents are from Mt.Carmel and Shamokin. Families with decent jobs are moving over the mountain to Southern to escape decaying towns and districts with a changing population.

There is no question that St Joe Prep is the best team in the Commonwealth. Spanking CD 35-7 without the best QB in the state and the best LB.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
The last names of the kids, are largely the same as the 70's. The backbone I'd guess are largely true Southern kids. IDK how Fleming came into the mix.
The father of the Garcia brothers, I'm pretty sure, was a standout wrestler at Mount Carmel. The Tillet boy is almost certainly from Shamokin. Halady is a long standing Southern name. Point is, they certainly have had many players who's family moved there for sports, essentially recruiting because of sustained on field success.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
No shit. The two best teams in AAAA are TJ and Erie Prep. De facto state title was semi finals
It's hard to argue with the result since Dallas didn't show up in the state final. But Dallas did beat Imhotep early in the tournament. On paper, some would have said Imhotep was a top-two team in the state.

I recognize alot of the last names of the Wyoming Area kids as well. Second generation of some of the great players from the ‘84 to ‘88 teams. Just missing a Medico or Sperazza—looks like the rich families moved out. Also 70% eastern European instead of like 90% Italian back in the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT