ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Wrestling /Coaching Staff Matches Video Vault

Quentin Wright vs Chris Honeycutt - 2011 NCAA Quarterfinals

You probably remember Quentin’s semifinal pin of Grant Gambrall of Iowa, which clinched Penn State’s first national title under Cael Sanderson, but before that Quentin needed to knock off the tournament’s #1 seed at 184LBS, Chris Honeycutt. This win also clinched All-American status for Quentin, for the 2nd time.

Cael Sanderson vs Lee Fullhart - 2004 Olympic Trials 84 kg - This is the 3rd match, in the best of 3

Sitting in the stands, with the Sanderson family, is a young David Taylor.

Reactions: danoftw
Cael Sanderson vs Jessman Smith(Iowa) - 2001 NCAA Quarterfinals, Cael on his way to his 3rd of 4 Titles

Funny, Iowa coaches are concerned that Smith will “Give-Up” after the first takedown, in the opening seconds of the first period.🤣

I love all the videos, I just wish you wouldnt divulge the outcome 😂

Dylan Alton vs James Green(Nebraska)

This is the famous match where the Nebraska student announcer’s claimed that coach Manning wanted “the illegal fist to the back call”, but the Ref wouldn’t give it to him.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ski and Split shot
David Taylor vs Derek St. John(Iowa) - 2011 157LB NCAA Quarterfinals

Love this match and it's a shame it was their final meeting. DSJ was one of the only guys who could scramble with DT. Tons of wild exchanges in this one. Brought out the best in DT every time.

I think DSJ is probably one of the most underrated scramblers of all time. His counter to beat Alton the next year on his one-legged finals run is all timer for me.

Dylan Alton vs James Green(Nebraska)

This is the famous match where the Nebraska student announcer’s claimed that coach Manning wanted “the illegal fist to the back call”, but the Ref wouldn’t give it to him.🤣

ce3b5e3f-c4c0-4ce8-a2aa-cf13f7805481_text.gif

Cael Sanderson vs Scott Barker(Missouri) - Replay of the TV Coverage of Big 12 Championship, Cael’s Senior Year, Including an Interview of Cael

That was a slick roll through to the half by Cael. Because Cael was so great on his feet it is easy to forget how great his top skills were also. The relentlessness of Cael was something to behold. As phenomenal as 159-0 was, the way he dominated the competition was even more amazing. I have yet to see any college wrestler who moved as fluidly and seemingly effortlessly as Cael, and the fact he could create all that movement as a 184/197 wrestler makes it even more impressive.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Quentin Wright vs Matt Everson(Minnesota) 174LBS

Even as a freshman Quentin was hitting that outside knee pick from an underhook where he would simultaneously hook his opponent's leg on the same side as his underhook. Three years later he would hit variations of that move three times against Kilgore to win his second NCAA title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT