ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PENN STATE VS NORTHWESTERN - PREVIEW & GAME THREAD

I hope PSU realizes that they now need to pay Shrewsberry and lock him in for at least a few yearshims

the new AD probably understands this but historically PSU had total morons as AD
He's a GD coach. He's getting paid plenty and if he doesn't appreciate Happy Valley he can đź–•himself.

He's a GD coach. He's getting paid plenty and if he doesn't appreciate Happy Valley he can đź–•himself.
Not exactly a lot to appreciate about being the basketball coach in Happy Valley. It’s a tough gig with little reward. I hope he stays, but wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on to a better opportunity.

Not exactly a lot to appreciate about being the basketball coach in Happy Valley. It’s a tough gig with little reward. I hope he stays, but wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on to a better opportunity.
Happy Valley is one of the best places on earth to live and raise a family. If he doesn't appreciate that let him go.

gee i wonder why anyone would want to leave

what's your problem with him?

this is the same school that paid its football coach to stay here until 2030 after he had two mediocre years

they can pay this guy to stay here as well. especially after having 20+ years of total zeros coaching the program. this guy is worth keeping

Happy Valley is one of the best places on earth to live and raise a family. If he doesn't appreciate that let him go.
It’s not one of the best places to coach basketball and that’s his livelihood. If he wants to win a lot of games, make it to the dance annually, and have a shot at a NC, Happy Valley isn’t the place to be. I’m sure Durham is a great place to live too, but I wouldn’t want to be the football coach there.

Reactions: bison13
It’s not one of the best places to coach basketball and that’s his livelihood. If he wants to win a lot of games, make it to the dance annually, and have a shot at a NC, Happy Valley isn’t the place to be. I’m sure Durham is a great place to live too, but I wouldn’t want to be the football coach there.
also if he gets paid 2 million and someone offers him 3.5 million, and his employer won't match it, that's kind of a good reason to leave

also if he gets paid 2 million and someone offers him 3.5 million, and his employer won't match it, that's kind of a good reason to leave
Or if someone offers him the same amount but at a better basketball school with better recruiting opportunities, that’s a good reason to leave too. Not to mention not everyone wants to live in State College, PA (I know, hard to believe). In basketball, we’re a stepping stone job, we have to accept that.

Or if someone offers him the same amount but at a better basketball school with better recruiting opportunities, that’s a good reason to leave too. Not to mention not everyone wants to live in State College, PA (I know, hard to believe). In basketball, we’re a stepping stone job, we have to accept that.
if he goes to a place like Georgetown or ND he is going to get paid a lot more

PSU should lock him up with a big buyout like they did with Franklin. then if he goes PSU gets a bunch of money to hire the replacement with

Reactions: AWS1022
But Shrews can change all of that. The man can coach. Smart plays abound. Just need some more talented bigs. No reason why PSU can be a good BBall program.

Cut tbe excuses. Pay Shrews. And the rest will take care of itself.

gee i wonder why anyone would want to leave

what's your problem with him?

this is the same school that paid its football coach to stay here until 2030 after he had two mediocre years

they can pay this guy to stay here as well. especially after having 20+ years of total zeros coaching the program. this guy is worth keeping
We need to keep Coach Shrews and if that means paying him more then we better do it. That is obvious. He's done more in the last week than our previous hoops coaches did in the last 20 years combined.

We need to keep Coach Shrews and if that means paying him more then we better do it. That is obvious. He's done more in the last week than our previous hoops coaches did in the last 20 years combined.
He recruited his son to play here, so I have my doubts that he is leaving in the next 3-4 years.

The previous 20 years were ridiculous. As frustrating as Jerry Dunn was, nobody could have imagined that PSU would fail to find a better coach for almost 20 years. Until now. It is just very nice to see.

Yes, it is obvious to pay him more. They should give him a huge raise after this one. The program has only been to the NCAA tournament three times since joining the Big Ten. And he gets us there in two seasons.

He recruited his son to play here, so I have my doubts that he is leaving in the next 3-4 years.

The previous 20 years were ridiculous. As frustrating as Jerry Dunn was, nobody could have imagined that PSU would fail to find a better coach for almost 20 years. Until now. It is just very nice to see.

Yes, it is obvious to pay him more. They should give him a huge raise after this one. The program has only been to the NCAA tournament three times since joining the Big Ten. And he gets us there in two seasons.
What I love is how he has us playing well in crunch time of games. We make winning plays and now win close games. You never saw that before from Penn State basketball.

Reactions: AWS1022
What I love is how he has us playing well in crunch time of games. We make winning plays and now win close games. You never saw that before from Penn State basketball.

We have seen it before, but not often. Parkhill's teams in the A10, Jerry Dunn's 1st and 6th seasons. DeChellis' last season. That's about it.

Plus his son just signed on for the next 4-5 yrs. Krafty should extend him for 5 yrs. He is a great coach and you can see it in their play but ND is coming hard for him.

Plus his son just signed on for the next 4-5 yrs. Krafty should extend him for 5 yrs. He is a great coach and you can see it in their play but ND is coming hard for him.
when USC supposedly came after the football coach they extended him, so they should do the same here

But Shrews can change all of that. The man can coach. Smart plays abound. Just need some more talented bigs. No reason why PSU can be a good BBall program.

Cut tbe excuses. Pay Shrews. And the rest will take care of itself.
Paying him only works if he wants to stay. He definitely can coach, but recruiting is the challenge for any coach. I hope he wants to stay and I hope they pay him, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he left.

Reactions: CattyGuy51

With the transfer portal, his son coming here means very little unfortunately.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Cmon nothing beats living in State College. They call it Happy Valley for a reason.

Chambers took awhile but eventually built an actual Big Ten basketball team. The athletes he recruited matched up with anyone. I never thought much for his X’s and O’s but his teams played great d and brought a ton of effort. Shrews knows what he’s doing. Once he has the players PSU is set up to look like a basketball school.

Some people love it, some people not so much. Let’s hope Shrews is one that loves it.
Agreed, Shrews is a keeper. I remember halfway through the season having heated discussions in game threads about letting the man have at least 5 or 6 years to prove himself which would allow a couple of data points of an entire line up of his recruits as senior leaders to see what they can do. Some were adamant that he get only 2 or 3 years to make the tournament. Fun times.

We're already in which sort of proves to those that wanted him gone sooner with little time to judge even what he's trying to build that they needed to give him a chance. Now the debate has shifted to can we keep him? How about we take a less dramatic approach and realize that he's likely here for at least a little while and it will be very interesting to see what he can accomplish.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Chamber had PSU ranked #9 in the country. That team lost a few late in the season but would have been in the dance if not for covid.
How many good seasons did he have? Would have gone to one NCAA. He was the NIT king a few years so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Agreed, Shrews is a keeper. I remember halfway through the season having heated discussions in game threads about letting the man have at least 5 or 6 years to prove himself which would allow a couple of data points of an entire line up of his recruits as senior leaders to see what they can do. Some were adamant that he get only 2 or 3 years to make the tournament. Fun times.

We're already in which sort of proves to those that wanted him gone sooner with little time to judge even what he's trying to build that they needed to give him a chance. Now the debate has shifted to can we keep him? How about we take a less dramatic approach and realize that he's likely here for at least a little while and it will be very interesting to see what he can accomplish.
Apparently he didn't need much time! People were saying this was not a tourney team and next year the cupboard is bare and we will never win, blah, blah, blah. PSU has every right to be a good hoops program. Shrews is showing what a good coach can do.

How many good seasons did he have? Would have gone to one NCAA. He was the NIT king a few years so he's got that going for him, which is nice.
Chambers never had the portal. He did a good job at PSU especially given what he started with and then the whole Sandusky mess. His teams always played hard.

those that wanted him gone sooner with little time to judge even what he's trying to build that they needed to give him a chance. Now the debate has shifted to can we keep him? How about we take a less dramatic approach and realize that he's likely here for at least a little while and it will be very interesting to see what he can accomplish.

Are you new here? Lol

Reading the game threads, you would think we are perpetually down by 20. And that's when we lead by 2.

Reactions: Online Persona
What Shrew has done is remarkable in that he essentially had to build the team up from scratch. I hope the admin. and other fans appreciate him as much as I (and I think most of us) do. Players seem to like playing for him.

Even in the worse case scenario that he leaves, it will be the first time I can remember that PSU hoops has ever been a stepping stone job for a coach - instead of a career killer - and this might improve PSU's rep with subsequent coaching candidates.

I'm confident he will stay, and the admin will re-up him, though. We have a winner here, and need to remember this next year when we lose four starters and the team is completely rebuilding with freshmen, sophomores, and portal players.

Krafy’s cred will plummet it they let Shrew go… it’s his job that’s on the line. Can’t be just a Franklion shill. Krafty said he wants everyone to compete for championships. Time for him to deliver on that statement. It’s a great opportunity for him to drop the spear at mid court and “say not in my house”. If not, his rep will forever be tarnished because Shrew will be a great one over the next 10 years.

Where has Dallion Johnson been? Shrews finally realized that he sucks I guess. Caleb Dorsey has been out as well but I believe he's injured. Could use him as a depth piece at Forward.

Where has Dallion Johnson been? Shrews finally realized that he sucks I guess. Caleb Dorsey has been out as well but I believe he's injured. Could use him as a depth piece at Forward.
I believe that both of them are simply coaches decisions…there aren’t injuries involved.

I believe that both of them are simply coaches decisions…there aren’t injuries involved.
I did see an injury report last week that Dorsey is listed as injured and out, but that was from the other team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT