ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PENN STATE VS NORTHWESTERN - PREVIEW & GAME THREAD

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020

Penn State looks to upset Northwestern for a second time in just over a week on Friday night but will do so as a two-point underdog. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and the game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

What's everyone's prediction for today? I have Penn State 68 - Northwestern 63.

Reactions: NedFromYork
We’re getting invited to the dance either way . Correct ?

From SI today:
  • Penn State was one of the few bubble teams to help itself, beating Illinois for a third straight Quad 1 win and essentially locking up its place in the field. The Nittany Lions have 20 wins (including six in Quad 1) and no disastrous losses. They should dance and now will very likely avoid the First Four. The same likely goes for Mississippi State, which survived in overtime against Florida to get some stability.
and then:

Last Four Byes​

Penn State

Mississippi State

Providence

Rutgers

Last Four In​

NC State

Utah State

Arizona State

Pittsburgh

First Four Out​

Oklahoma State

Nevada

Wisconsin

Clemson

Next Four Out​

Oregon

North Carolina

North Texas

Michigan

Lastly they project:

Midwest Region​

No. 1 Houston* vs. No. 16 Grambling*/SEMO**

No. 8 Arkansas vs. No. 9 Iowa

No. 5 Miami vs. No. 12 VCU*

No. 4 Indiana vs. No. 13 Utah Valley

No. 6 San Diego State* vs. No. 11 NC State/Arizona State

No. 3 UConn vs. No. 14 Furman**

No. 7 Kentucky vs. No. 10 Penn State

No. 2 Baylor vs. No. 15 Montana State**

NW gets 3 chances on first possession. Just like 1st half last night.

0-5 shooting plus 3 early TOs. Ugh!

Ugly first four minutes by PSU….turnovers and weak rebounding. Need to tighten up.

Reactions: bdgan
Northwestern plays some really tough defense. Luckily they’re missing shots all over. I don’t think they’re going to keep missing layups, so we better start taking care of the ball better.

Reactions: Online Persona
Northwestern plays some really tough defense. Luckily they’re missing shots all over. I don’t think they’re going to keep missing layups, so we better start taking care of the ball better.
PSU shooting 18%
NW shooting 12%

The new Lundy banging inside, missing on the perimeter.

I hope you boys bet the under.

We look out of sorts...especially when a team Ds us up in our face...really lack shot creators

We look out of sorts...especially when a team Ds us up in our face...really lack shot creators
Think the key is to play without Njie so that we can backdoor them more if they're going to overplay the passing lanes (plus seems like Collins won't play Nicholson if we have five shooters, and he's been killing us inside).

Reactions: scrivener
Think the key is to play without Njie so that we can backdoor them more if they're going to overplay the passing lanes (plus seems like Collins won't play Nicholson if we have five shooters, and he's been killing us inside).
Yep Kebba just doesn't have it so far.

Thought the foul call on Funk was really weak. Dude was jumping backward and I didn’t see any contact at all.

Reactions: Online Persona
I think PSU should have had Pickett back Buie into the paint once he got his 2nd foul. Missed opportunity IMO.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Nice 8-0 run, but then let NW finish the half strong. Down 1 at the half.

I think PSU should have had Pickett back Buie into the paint once he got his 2nd foul. Missed opportunity IMO.
I was thinking the same thing…have to try and get him in foul trouble.

Though Wynter picked up the charge, I loved him taking it at Buie and forcing the refs to make that call.

-7 with Njie on the floor and +6 without him...just think we match up so much better with Henn or going small with Dread at the 5.

Though Wynter picked up the charge, I loved him taking it at Buie and forcing the refs to make that call.

-7 with Njie on the floor and +6 without him...just think we match up so much better with Henn or going small with Dread at the 5.
Henn at least gives us some option of offense, Njie not so much.

In the other game of note for us right now, Memphis is up 5 on UCF in the first half.

Even with mahaffey on the floor, he at least gives a more athletic offensive rebounding option.

I said it to a friend last night...in my history of following Penn State basketball (back to about 1990), I've never felt more confident in a guy making an open 3 than Andrew Funk. We've had guys with a lot better all around games, guys that could create their own shot, etc. But if you told me I had to have a guy to hit a 3 with no one around him, it would be Funk. When we get him really clean looks, he doesn't miss.

Such a different feeling watching tonight's game vs. every other game over the last month. Can actually enjoy it...though if we end up playing in Dayton, that feeling will return. So badly want these guys to experience the "real thing" on Thursday or Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT