ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State receives pre-seeds for Big Ten Tournament

Seabass got the worst possible draw of anyone in any weight class (considering there is a valid argument he should be #1). Micic->Eierman->Lee. It's hard to imagine anyone will be able to run that gauntlet.
At what point do we say Micic is a bad draw by name only? He's lost to Chad Red, Cole Matthews, Jake Bergeland and Dresden Simon. Can he turn it around for Big Tens and Nationals and become a bad draw? Absolutely but as of today, nothing says he's a worse draw than Bergeland or Red.

At what point do we say Micic is a bad draw by name only? He's lost to Chad Red, Cole Matthews, Jake Bergeland and Dresden Simon. Can he turn it around for Big Tens and Nationals and become a bad draw? Absolutely but as of today, nothing says he's a worse draw than Bergeland or Red.
But Red is a 4, not a 5-8, so no one could possibly face all of Red->Eierman->Lee in the winners draw as a top 4, and I don't know about you, but wins and losses be damned, I'd much rather face Bergeland than Micic in the quarters. I do get what you're saying, and Micic has looked like a shell of the 3-time AA that he is and there's a good reason he's a 5-8 instead of a top 4, but as a 5-8 QF matchup, I'd really rather not see him.

Reactions: zzs006
@jmadden1998 has been a fantastic contributor to this board in terms of providing informational and administrative stuff. His commitment to using gifs half the time has also made him more humorous.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Seabass got the worst possible draw of anyone in any weight class (considering there is a valid argument he should be #1). Micic->Eierman->Lee. It's hard to imagine anyone will be able to run that gauntlet.

Huh? What? Valid argument for #1, wtf??? Micic has looked awful this year and Rivera is facing The Riddler wether he's seeded 2 or 3???

well no one thought Cassar had a chance either! or as cp said gable is the greatest of all time!!
I think most thought Cassar had a fighting chance. That was the chubby version of Gable who has beaten everyone his entire life on just talent alone. Cassar made him realize he couldn't do that anymore and we have this new version of Gable that is very terrifying.

They wanted to give us something to b!tch about.
A little curious that 10-3 Edsell is behind 14-13 Carlson (loser of his last 5 matches; 2-6 against Big Ten starters) and 8-9 Bubba Wilson (3-5 against Big Ten Starters).

I understand Edsell’s schedule hasn’t been the strongest. But his record is appreciably better. And he has decent non-conference wins over Revano and Meyer.

Note I said only “a little”.

That said, I like his chances against Lohrey regardless.

Not his fault Micic is not good right now

Huh? What? Valid argument for #1, wtf??? Micic has looked awful this year and Rivera is facing The Riddler wether he's seeded 2 or 3???
Nick Lee is seeded just where he should be.

But the argument for Seabass at one is that he is undefeated this year and took the mat for the Penn State dual. It wasn't his fault that Nick was not able to wrestle.

That argument doesn't carry the day for me, but it is does not deserve a wtf.

the valid argument for #1 would be that he is undefeated and lee sat out against him, robbing him of the opportunity to beat him. there are some that think that should be considered a sort of unofficial loss for seeding purposes to mitigate ducking - not for this specifically, but in general. that would be the argument, but no argument under the current application.

Reactions: donboy6499
the valid argument for #1 would be that he is undefeated and lee sat out against him, robbing him of the opportunity to beat him. there are some that think that should be considered a sort of unofficial loss for seeding purposes to mitigate ducking - not for this specifically, but in general. that would be the argument, but no argument under the current application.
Agree. It would be a fair argument if the Big 10 Seeded that way straight down the board. Since they don’t, Lee seeded 1 is the correct.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Agree. It would be a fair argument if the Big 10 Seeded that way straight down the board. Since they don’t, Lee seeded 1 is the correct.
agree and i don't think it's a feasible way of doing things either. think of all the messes it would create among the lower seeds where teams tend to switch back and forth between guys because none of them are that good. for example, in this scenario it would hurt lee, but help someone like edsell who was robbed of 3 chances to notch a win against the field because teams didn't send out their final starter against him.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Parris' draw is much tougher than Rivera's.
he's got kerk's face taped to a punching bag for that draw lol. also basically guarantees he's on gable's side at ncaa's unless he does worse than 4th here.

he's got kerk's face taped to a punching bag for that draw lol. also basically guarantees he's on gable's side at ncaa's unless he does worse than 4th here.
He should tape Kerks hands to that bag. Maybe if he breaks them, Kerk won’t be able to snatch his legs all night like the last time

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Where I do agree with you that ducking should be penalized. It is very hard to clearly state what Lees reason for being out against Rutgers. If he was either a close contact or even got COVID then he clearly wasnt going to wrestle and it would be hard to penalize Lee if he had COVID and needed to work his stamina back up. Either way it is hard to say. Now we know Lee sat out the week prior so it is justifiable. On the flip side, we know Schultz was there and wrestling at the Collegiate Duals, it is a lot easier to pin-point that as Schultz ducking compared to Lee vs Seabass.

I understand the argument for an undefeated SeaBass to be #1. And I understand why the undefeated returning NCAA champ wouldn’t get bumped for him. What’s the argument for Eierman ahead of SeaBass? It doesn’t matter (2 vs 3 seed); I’m just curious. I have SeaBass as 9-0 in the Big Ten and Eierman as 5-1 in the Big Ten. Eierman wrestled the better schedule, but that’s certainly not the fault of SeaBass who wrestled all eight Big Ten duals. Hard to believe 5-1 gets ahead of 9-0, even on schedule.

I understand the argument for an undefeated SeaBass to be #1. And I understand why the undefeated returning NCAA champ wouldn’t get bumped for him. What’s the argument for Eierman ahead of SeaBass? It doesn’t matter (2 vs 3 seed); I’m just curious. I have SeaBass as 9-0 in the Big Ten and Eierman as 5-1 in the Big Ten. Eierman wrestled the better schedule, but that’s certainly not the fault of SeaBass who wrestled all eight Big Ten duals. Hard to believe 5-1 gets ahead of 9-0, even on schedule.
And the fact that Nick Lee doesn't duck anyone. If he was suited up like Shultz and then didn't wrestle that's one thing nick was out like not in uniform it happens

Reactions: Hotshoe and ccdiver
It's not the same Gable. Barring injury no one is touching him. He might be the most complete college heavyweight that I have ever seen.
Might? I’m so bored waiting for Saturday ….. I gotta ask, . . . what other 2 or 3 all-timers at HWT “might” be better than Gable? 🤪. Snyder, the stud from Pitt/ Johnstown?

Last edited:
Nick Lee is seeded just where he should be.

But the argument for Seabass at one is that he is undefeated this year and took the mat for the Penn State dual. It wasn't his fault that Nick was not able to wrestle.

That argument doesn't carry the day for me, but it is does not deserve a wtf.

Disagree completely - there is zero case for Rivera over Lee given seeding precedent. Lee is defending National Champ at the weight-class, undefeated and beat the #2 - undefeated at the time - returning Finalist from last year. Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year. When precisely did Northwestern and PSU have a dual?

Believing Rivera had any case whatsoever for the #1 seed @41 is definitely huh? wtf stuff.

Reactions: ccdiver
And the fact that Nick Lee doesn't duck anyone. If he was suited up like Shultz and then didn't wrestle that's one thing nick was out like not in uniform it happens
That’s not what McPat is asking. He wants to know why Seabass isn’t #2 over Eierman. Though it ultimately really doesn’t matter in the 2v3 spot usually….but it is curious to give 5-1 over 9-0. Guess they went with weight class returning champ?

I didn’t mean to start a controversy. I didn’t say Seabass should actually be seeded ahead of Nick, just that he has a resume that has a valid claim to be, and instead, he’s bumped down to three and given the toughest draw on paper of any top 3 seed and certainly any undefeated wrestler. He got shafted.

Reactions: mcpat
That’s not what McPat is asking. He wants to know why Seabass isn’t #2 over Eierman. Though it ultimately really doesn’t matter in the 2v3 spot usually….but it is curious to give 5-1 over 9-0. Guess they went with weight class returning champ?
Thats what I was assuming as well. Returning Big 10 champ.

The 3 seed screws Seabass because he’s coming off surgery and has to wrestle an extra match.

Agree with you that SeaBass #3 v #2 is a very legit beef (unlike SeaBass having a truly legit argument for #1 using all known seedling precedent). The only real difference between #2 and #3 is whether you wrestle in opening round against the 14 Seed (SeaBass should be able to bonus here) and whether you wrestle the #6 Seed (Micic) or #7 Seed (D'Emilio [sp?]). Given Micic's record this year, both overall and non-conference, there is not a huge difference here and SeaBass should win fairly handily against either.

But Red is a 4, not a 5-8, so no one could possibly face all of Red->Eierman->Lee in the winners draw as a top 4, and I don't know about you, but wins and losses be damned, I'd much rather face Bergeland than Micic in the quarters. I do get what you're saying, and Micic has looked like a shell of the 3-time AA that he is and there's a good reason he's a 5-8 instead of a top 4, but as a 5-8 QF matchup, I'd really rather not see him.
It is the same argument people made with Joe Smith in 2019. He was a shell of the guy from 2016 and 2017. He had 6 matches at 165 in the Big 12 Tournament and that was it.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
Sorry must have misread it.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Disagree completely - there is zero case for Rivera over Lee given seeding precedent. Lee is defending National Champ at the weight-class, undefeated and beat the #2 - undefeated at the time - returning Finalist from last year. Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year. When precisely did Northwestern and PSU have a dual?

Believing Rivera had any case whatsoever for the #1 seed @41 is definitely huh? wtf stuff.

Huh? You know that Nick Lee wrestled and beat Rivera twice last year, and that Rivera wrestles for Rutgers (last year as well as this year), right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT