ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State receives pre-seeds for Big Ten Tournament

I think we're going to lose the bonus points race in a big way unless some of our guys really step up. As talented as some of our guys are (e.g., Marinelli), they should never be settling for decisions against unranked opponents. That said, they won't be facing many unranked opponents at B10s, but they need to take advantage of the few opportunities or this situation will get out of hand quickly. WRT Kerk vs. Cass, Kerk has the speed but he can't try the power moves against Cass...that dog won't hunt. Despite the loss in Iowa City, I still think this one's a toss-up...perhaps coming down to who wrestles smarter. Looking forward to the action! And as always good luck to your fellas. You've got a stout team that will be hard to beat in Lincoln and Detroit.

I think we're going to lose the bonus points race in a big way unless some of our guys really step up. As talented as some of our guys are (e.g., Marinelli), they should never be settling for decisions against unranked opponents. That said, they won't be facing many unranked opponents at B10s, but they need to take advantage of the few opportunities or this situation will get out of hand quickly. WRT Kerk vs. Cass, Kerk has the speed but he can't try the power moves against Cass...that dog won't hunt. Despite the loss in Iowa City, I still think this one's a toss-up...perhaps coming down to who wrestles smarter. Looking forward to the action! And as always good luck to your fellas. You've got a stout team that will be hard to beat in Lincoln and Detroit.
And as always, good luck to the Hawkeyes! Right Nashville? Come on man, get it together! I'm about to pack some of your bags for ya ;)

Hopefully Kerk has figured out how to get out from Cass's crotch ride. A lot of Iowa wrestlers use it. The issue I have with it, is when Ref allows it for more than 10-15 seconds. It's certainly parallel(albeit vertical?)and not a move used to put opponent on their back .

Last edited:
Reactions: js8793
Hopefully Kerk has figured out how to get out from Cass's crotch ride. A lot of Iowa wrestlers use it. The issue I have with it, is when Ref allows it for more than 10-15 seconds. It's certainly parallel(albeit vertical?)and not a move used to put opponent on his back .
KERK JUST NEEDS A FEW TD AND NOT TAKE BOTTOM,HE WILL WIN!AND NO BODY LOCKS

Hopefully Kerk has figured out how to get out from Cass's crotch ride. A lot of Iowa wrestlers use it. The issue I have with it, is when Ref allows it for more than 10-15 seconds. It's certainly parallel(albeit vertical?)and not a move used to put opponent on his back .
At least it's not lacing the ankle. That is the ultimate stalling sin on HR. That and getting pushed out of bounds by The Bull. And being flattened when in double boots.
Come to think of it, there are a lot of stalling sins on HR, but the crotch ride ain't one!
giphy.gif

Spiral Ride (one arm wrapped around far shoulder, other arm wrapped around waist and hand wrapped into upper thigh OR both arms around waist with hands locking onto inner thighs and high body pressure with chest on upper-back)..... An entire period of a Spiral Ride where top-wrestler never breaks bottom wrestler down and spends large amounts of time just laying on top wrestler's upper-back is definitely "Top Stalling" under the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Callthestall
Hopefully Kerk has figured out how to get out from Cass's crotch ride. A lot of Iowa wrestlers use it. The issue I have with it, is when Ref allows it for more than 10-15 seconds. It's certainly parallel(albeit vertical?)and not a move used to put opponent on their back .
Yeah, there are pros and cons to several of the maneuvers used by both sides. I'm of the opinion that if someone hasn't done something to improve a position within X number of seconds, let's go back to the center of the mat and get it on. I hate matches with 3 or more minutes of riding time. If you can ride that long then surely you can turn someone...and if you can't turn them then release them and go for another TD. I want action.

user name checks out haha. totally agree. big issue with top stalling. double thigh pry, ankle ride, running guys out of bounds, etc... top stalling is really bad right now.

Reactions: Callthestall
Yeah, there are pros and cons to several of the maneuvers used by both sides. I'm of the opinion that if someone hasn't done something to improve a position within X number of seconds, let's go back to the center of the mat and get it on. I hate matches with 3 or more minutes of riding time. If you can ride that long then surely you can turn someone...and if you can't turn them then release them and go for another TD. I want action.
Here is a possible rule change that might help. First you have to tighten up the rules for top stalling(or make it a point of emphasis to the refs). As soon as the top man gets hit for stalling the riding time clock is turned off. It can not go back on until the top man gets a swipe. Just a thought.

Here is a possible rule change that might help. First you have to tighten up the rules for top stalling(or make it a point of emphasis to the refs). As soon as the top man gets hit for stalling the riding time clock is turned off. It can not go back on until the top man gets a swipe. Just a thought.
Either that or limit the riding time for a single ride (to 30 secs or 45 secs or something). Just like the number of swipes/back points is maxed out at 4, do the same for RT. If you hit 30 secs, release & take him down to start a new clock.

Either that or limit the riding time for a single ride (to 30 secs or 45 secs or something). Just like the number of swipes/back points is maxed out at 4, do the same for RT. If you hit 30 secs, release & take him down to start a new clock.
Riding time only after a take down or reversal. After 30 seconds, unless the top wrestler is actively collecting near fall points, back to neutral.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I agree I think the clock needs shut off after a minute. Why not if you ride a guy for a minute it's a point to the other guy stand them up and reset the clock when someone gets take down and repeat as needed.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
I'm liking some of these ideas. As fans we want action. And the more action perhaps the better chance we have to bring in new fans. Clearly Iowa and PSU are good to go but the same can't be said for many of the schools in the B10. And outside the B10 things get even worse for fan bases. Clearly there are exceptions but not all that many.

I'd rather watch Daniel Lewis ride for 6:50 than watch three seconds of someone trying to push someone else out of a circle and then try and explain how that is wrestling.
have you ever actually watched a freestyle match?

Hey everyone!
For clarity, will b10+ allow you to watch any of the mats? B10 network will highlight mats until semi’s, correct?
BTN says they are showing “semis” but it is 11am Saturday so I guess they will jump mats for early rounds. BTN will probably have split screen for semis and then Obviously show the finals.

Semis and Finals won’t be on BTN+ but you can stream them on BTN if you have BTN cable service already.

Last edited:
BTN won’t show any wrestling before semis. Early rounds only on BTN+. BTN will probably have split screen for semis and the. Obviously show the finals.

Semis and Finals won’t be on BTN+ but you can stream them on BTN if you have BTN cable service already.
Regular BTN is televising Session 1 from 11:00am until 3:00pm.

Reactions: hlstone
freestyle is a joke one guy pushes the other guy out of bounds and get a point while never attempting to get a td???

ADVERTISEMENT