ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State receives pre-seeds for Big Ten Tournament

Huh? You know that Nick Lee wrestled and beat Rivera twice last year, and that Rivera wrestles for Rutgers (last year as well as this year), right?

You need to go re-read the posts - I'm not the one who said that SeaBass took the mat for Northwestern against PSU this year.

Disagree completely - there is zero case for Rivera over Lee given seeding precedent. Lee is defending National Champ at the weight-class, undefeated and beat the #2 - undefeated at the time - returning Finalist from last year. Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year. When precisely did Northwestern and PSU have a dual?

Believing Rivera had any case whatsoever for the #1 seed @41 is definitely huh? wtf stuff.
Does that even "Matter" ( Rutgers pun). Rivera has wrestled for Rutgers this year....and last. Sorry about your Coma.....glad to see you have recovered :)

Reactions: nitlion6
Might? I’m so bored waiting for Saturday ….. I gotta ask, . . . what other 2 or 3 all-timers at HWT “might” be better than Gable? 🤪. Snyder, the stud from Pitt/ Johnstown?
"Might" was used to cover the history of the sport. Guys I never saw( i.e. Dick Hutton?) I would doubt that they could be competitive against the athlete of today.
As for guys I saw, Carlton Haselrig was awesome. I saw him win PIAA his Senior year when his high school dropped wrestling. He' s the only guy that had to win about 8 matches to be NCAA Div. 1 champ. He would qualify by winning Div. 3 National Title ,which would qualify him for the Big Show. A lot of chance for injury or the big move costing him the chance to win. He was just a tremendous athlete on the mat. Became All-pro NFL player.

Snyder although very quick and fundamentally sound, I just don't think could cope with Gable size.

Mocco would be someone that could probably give Gable tough match on mat but probably not match Gable quickness on their feet.

Last edited:
Non-bonus points based on preseeds: 1. IOWA, 126.5 2. PSU, 125 3. MICH, 110.5 4. NEB, 89 5. OSU, 82 6. WIS, 60 7. NU, 53.5 8. MSU, 49 9. MINN, 42 10. RUT, 41 11. PUR, 40 12. ILL, 27 13. IND, 9.5 14. MD, 5
I knew the gap would be closer at BigTens, but didn't think Iowa would be 30 points better than what's projected at NCAAs.

Berge back and at 157 really looms large. He's a wildcard that may provide the difference between 1st and 2nd much like James Vollrath a few years back.

Where I do agree with you that ducking should be penalized. It is very hard to clearly state what Lees reason for being out against Rutgers. If he was either a close contact or even got COVID then he clearly wasnt going to wrestle and it would be hard to penalize Lee if he had COVID and needed to work his stamina back up. Either way it is hard to say. Now we know Lee sat out the week prior so it is justifiable. On the flip side, we know Schultz was there and wrestling at the Collegiate Duals, it is a lot easier to pin-point that as Schultz ducking compared to Lee vs Seabass.
Yes I agree and I wasn't saying that Lee ducked. But IF you were to institute something like that it would have to be all or nothing and any matches missed would need to be counted as losses. That's a major reason why I don't think it's workable.

Reactions: donboy6499
You need to go re-read the posts - I'm not the one who said that SeaBass took the mat for Northwestern against PSU this year.
You're just the one who said Rivera "didn't wrestle at 41 last year."

Disagree completely - there is zero case for Rivera over Lee given seeding precedent. Lee is defending National Champ at the weight-class, undefeated and beat the #2 - undefeated at the time - returning Finalist from last year. Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year. When precisely did Northwestern and PSU have a dual?

Believing Rivera had any case whatsoever for the #1 seed @41 is definitely huh? wtf stuff.

My picks at 141. However, I can see why the Big Ten seeds Eierman #2 and Rivera #3. Eierman only lost once, to the #1 seed, and didn't wrestle HTH vs Rivera. There is no solid basis either way. Eierman did have the better win (vs Red). I guess the Big Ten must have used Wrestlestat ;):).

#1 Nick Lee (PSU)
#2 Sebastian Rivera (RUT)
#3 Jaydin Eierman (IOWA)
#4 Chad Red (NEB)
#5 Steven Micic (MICH)
#6 Dylan D’Emilio (tOSU)
#7 Jake Bergeland (MINN)
#8 Dylan Duncan (ILL)
#9 Frankie Tal-Shahar (NU)
#10 Joseph Zargo (WIS)
#11 Parker Filius (PUR)
#12 Cayden Rooks (IND)
#13 Matt Santos (MSU)
#14 Danny Bertoni (MD)

A second weight class with two undefeated, quality guys at the top. Again it is the Penn Stater (#1 Nick Lee) getting the nod for #1, for similar reasons to those at 133, Lee is top dog until he loses. #2 Rivera (RUT) has been uber-impressive this season, with bonus points in all but one bout this season (it wasn't a Big Ten dual), but his schedule has been weak. #3 Eierman (IOWA) is easily my third seed, beating #4 Red (NEB) HTH. Red has a HTH win over my #5 Micic (MICH). To be honest, Micic was going to be lower until both #7 Bergeland (MINN), who owns a win against Micic, and #8 Duncan (ILL) who started the conference duals 3-0, both took recent losses. Here's where it gets tricky as we have a couple of guys that beat up on each other. I'll go #6 D'Emilio (tOSU) after a solid win HTH vs #7 Bergeland this past weekend. #8 Duncan gets the nod over #9 Tal-Shahar, beating him HTH, while Tal-Shahar beat #11 Filius (PUR) HTH.

#10 Zargo (WIS) slips in front of Filius, beating him HTH. Here’s a case where record doesn’t mean much. Filius is 5-3, but his wins are against three back-ups and two guys behind him. #9 Tal-Shahar beat #10 Zargo so that’s the reasoning at 9/10. Zargo has had an up-and-down season, beating a guy in front of him in these seedings (Duncan), but the loss to Tal-Shahar sealed his seed. You can see the remaining three seeds above.

Does that even "Matter" ( Rutgers pun). Rivera has wrestled for Rutgers this year....and last. Sorry about your Coma.....glad to see you have recovered :)

If you check the OP's seminal post that I responded to, you will see it was him, NOT ME, that claimed SeaBass wrestled for Northwestern against us THIS YEAR. I know full well who SeaBass wrestles for which is why I responded that I wasn't aware at all that we wrestled Northwestern, let alone SeaBass wrestling for Northwestern against us and Lee ducking him in the meet. Maybe you should try reading the post I responded to genius.

If you check the OP's seminal post that I responded to, you will see it was him, NOT ME, that claimed SeaBass wrestled for Northwestern against us THIS YEAR. I know full well who SeaBass wrestles for which is why I responded that I wasn't aware at all that we wrestled Northwestern, let alone SeaBass wrestling for Northwestern against us and Lee ducking him in the meet. Maybe you should try reading the post I responded to genius.
I know I should just read right past this...but I just can't help myself.

Who, specifically, claimed or even mentioned SeaBass wrestling for Northwestern in this thread? Other than you, of course.

(See...now that I've edited this comment, it says so below.)

Last edited:
INCORRECT, YOU brought up Northwestern. Nobody else mentioned them. The post your responded to said Lee didn't take the mat against Seabass, which he didn't in the Rutgers dual and for some reason you made it up that he mentioned Northwestern. You need to seek help and SOON.

You are the ONLY one who mentioned NW.

You also claimed that SeaBass didn't wrestle at 141 last year. Which he clearly did; he lost to Nick Lee at B1Gs and at NCAAs.

Reactions: js8793 and KCLion

Huh? You know that Nick Lee wrestled and beat Rivera twice last year, and that Rivera wrestles for Rutgers (last year as well as this year), right?
this man has a humiliation fetish.

My picks at 141. However, I can see why the Big Ten seeds Eierman #2 and Rivera #3. Eierman only lost once, to the #1 seed, and didn't wrestle HTH vs Rivera. There is no solid basis either way. Eierman did have the better win (vs Red). I guess the Big Ten must have used Wrestlestat ;):).

#1 Nick Lee (PSU)
#2 Sebastian Rivera (RUT)
#3 Jaydin Eierman (IOWA)
#4 Chad Red (NEB)
#5 Steven Micic (MICH)
#6 Dylan D’Emilio (tOSU)
#7 Jake Bergeland (MINN)
#8 Dylan Duncan (ILL)
#9 Frankie Tal-Shahar (NU)
#10 Joseph Zargo (WIS)
#11 Parker Filius (PUR)
#12 Cayden Rooks (IND)
#13 Matt Santos (MSU)
#14 Danny Bertoni (MD)

A second weight class with two undefeated, quality guys at the top. Again it is the Penn Stater (#1 Nick Lee) getting the nod for #1, for similar reasons to those at 133, Lee is top dog until he loses. #2 Rivera (RUT) has been uber-impressive this season, with bonus points in all but one bout this season (it wasn't a Big Ten dual), but his schedule has been weak. #3 Eierman (IOWA) is easily my third seed, beating #4 Red (NEB) HTH. Red has a HTH win over my #5 Micic (MICH). To be honest, Micic was going to be lower until both #7 Bergeland (MINN), who owns a win against Micic, and #8 Duncan (ILL) who started the conference duals 3-0, both took recent losses. Here's where it gets tricky as we have a couple of guys that beat up on each other. I'll go #6 D'Emilio (tOSU) after a solid win HTH vs #7 Bergeland this past weekend. #8 Duncan gets the nod over #9 Tal-Shahar, beating him HTH, while Tal-Shahar beat #11 Filius (PUR) HTH.

#10 Zargo (WIS) slips in front of Filius, beating him HTH. Here’s a case where record doesn’t mean much. Filius is 5-3, but his wins are against three back-ups and two guys behind him. #9 Tal-Shahar beat #10 Zargo so that’s the reasoning at 9/10. Zargo has had an up-and-down season, beating a guy in front of him in these seedings (Duncan), but the loss to Tal-Shahar sealed his seed. You can see the remaining three seeds above.

Rivera has really taken to 141 in his first season there.

giphy.gif

" Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year.". The problem, genius, is that people do read your post(s) and they even copy them. Yet you still claim that you didn't say what is in your post and blame the reader for your issues. Well-played :)

" Rivera has not wrestled Eierman and he didn't wrestle at 41 last year.". The problem, genius, is that people do read your post(s) and they even copy them. Yet you still claim that you didn't say what is in your post and blame the reader for your issues. Well-played :)
Reading Bushwood's posts is a problem. For everyone reading them.

I know I should just read right past this...but I just can't help myself.

Who, specifically, claimed or even mentioned SeaBass wrestling for Northwestern in this thread? Other than you, of course.

Complete bullshit - the OP I responded to stated that Lee ducked Rivera in the "Northwestern dual". I'm the one that responded that PSU and Northwestern never met this year, contrary to your continued absurd, and diametrically wrong, contention. Just because he subsequently edited Lee ducking the "Northwestern dual" doesn't mean he never said it.

Complete bullshit - the OP I responded to stated that Lee ducked Rivera in the "Northwestern dual". I'm the one that responded that PSU and Northwestern never met this year, contrary to your continued absurd, and diametrically wrong, contention. Just because he subsequently edited Lee ducking the "Northwestern dual" doesn't mean he never said it.
A few things:

When a person edits a comment, that edit is noted. See the comment I made, and subsequently edited, above. The edit is noted. The original comment you replied to has no such note, indicating it wasn't edited.

This is my first comment on this thread, so I haven't made any "continued" contentions (see, that's how you use quotes...to indicate or repeat words another person actually used).

It's OK, man. You were wrong. It happens. Being an insufferable hard-on about it only makes things worse.

There should be a council of elders to rule on all “who was right” arguments. Three long-time members.

Each party to the argument submits one post of 250 words or less. No rebuttals. The council of elders then renders its decision. We can have a sticky thread for it.

Link or it didn't happen.

There should be a council of elders to rule on all “who was right” arguments. Three long-time members.

Each party to the argument submits one post of 250 words or less. No rebuttals. The council of elders then renders its decision. We can have a sticky thread for it.
Who needs elders, I nominate mcpat to lead the group.

No thanks. :)

I proposed the following minimum qualifications:

- 5+ year member
- At least a 2-1 reaction score
- Not an Iowa fan
criteria #4: at least 1,000 posts

I’ll add to this, but a short search yields the following qualified candidates:

diggerpup
Used2BErie
Slushhead
Johnstownsteel
Cali_Nittany
Tikk10
Backdrft76
El-Jefe
Creamery Freak

Last edited:

diggerpup
Used2BErie
Slushhead
Johnstownsteel
Cali_Nittany
Tikk10
Backdrft76
El-Jefe
Creamery Freak
Can I stay if I repost this 79 times?

Reactions: mcpat
Can I stay if I repost this 79 times?
You now need 78 more posts with 188 (now 187) more likes and 8 more days. :)

Edit: if you did PBP for Big Tens and NCAAs, my guess is you’d then qualify for the council of elders. (Everyone likes PBP.)

diggerpup
Used2BErie
Slushhead
Johnstownsteel
Cali_Nittany
Tikk10
Backdrft76
El-Jefe
Creamery Freak
No Roar? I thought he was a shoe in, though he would certainly decline the offer….

You now need 78 more posts with 188 (now) more likes and 8 more days. :)

Edit: if you did PBP for Big Tens and NCAAs, my guess is you’d then qualify for the council of elders. (Everyone likes PBP.)
I work full time, I have four kids and I am in bed promptly at 8:00....

I'm out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT