ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defeats Rutgers on Senior Day 27-6

Has a press conference question ever been asked - on the many, many passes where Cephas and the ball are multiple yards apart, what is the problem? Is Allar missing or is Cephas running the wrong route? Seems like it happens at least twice a week...

Clifford, Evans, Ivey, Saunders, and even McClain who hasn't gotten targeted much lately.

It's not unheard of for players to take a while to develop and produce. My opinion is that a some of the WR "problems" are the result of a pathetic offensive game plan, poor play calling and a good many inaccurate throws by Allar when he finally did have open WR's. Just a few plays ago Allar had Cephus with a step on his man and he underthrew him allowing the DB to break up the pass. The completion he had to Johnson was an easy, short throw that Allar threw at his feet. Allar has been a less than average QB this season.
Have to agree here.

Schiano just showed Franklin how to make smart calls. At midfield Schiano punted on 4th and 3 and pinned the PSU offense deep, then trusted the defense. Now they get the ball back with plenty of time in good field position after a three and out.

Franklin would have gone for it in that position, not have gotten it, and gave the opposing team an easy potential for additional points.

PSU needs a stop here, hold them to a FG. Not going to get many 2nd half possessions, plus Rutgers gets the ball to start the 2nd half

Reactions: NCLION
F that, its 10 games into the season. No eccuses. Fr all over the country are making far better throws and decisions than he is.
The entire offense sucks. We have zero juice, no play makers, a QB that looks like he needs his teddy bear, and play calling that would be basic for junior high.

I dont say this lightly but its time to bench Allar. He's not ready for prime time when the pressure is on.

They have been playing the season with the fear of Allar transferring.

It's clear in the playcalling and forcing the pass when yp attempt is lower than yp run.

It's clear in the playcalling and forcing the pass when yp attempt is lower than yp run.
So let him transfer if he's just going through the motions, which is what that last series looked like. The WRs and TEs deserve the route issue criticisms but Allar looks like a Jr High QB back there missing those easy throws.

There better be an open competition at QB next year
we can’t endure another year of this

F that, its 10 games into the season. No eccuses. Fr all over the country are making far better throws and decisions than he is.
I watched the Colorado Wazzu game last night. Both those QBs were able to make nice throws and have some fun offense to watch. For the life of me, I can’t understand how the PSU offense can look so stuttering and awful in comparison.

Schiano just showed Franklin how to make smart calls. At midfield Schiano punted on 4th and 3 and pinned the PSU offense deep, then trusted the defense. Now they get the ball back with plenty of time in good field position after a three and out.

Franklin would have gone for it in that position, not have gotten it, and gave the opposing team an easy potential for additional points.
Franklin should never have called TO. PSU would still have had plenty of time with all 3 TOs.

Allar would have options if he chooses to transfer. But not the options he had out of high school. QB's with big arms and outstanding "potential" don't always turn out to be great decision makers or have the ability to throw accurately under pressure.

The strategy of getting a 5 star QB and going all in on him without seemingly really knowing if he is going to be a great B10 QB seems like a poor strategy. OSU can bring in multiple top QB and they then have competition. When none of their recruits pan out they go out and get the best transfer, Fields. Franklin can't do either. It might be a better strategy for PSU to try and recruit 2 QB's every year and possibly have a better chance through competition to find a QB that can actually play and make throws under pressure. Put more players through the program at QB and find one that can play the game. Right now I'd take Zach Mills over Allar in a heartbeat. Mills had a less than average arm but he was pretty accurate and had game moxie.

Halftime stats-

Penn State
-6/12 for 79 yards passing.
-17 rushes for 57 yards.
-136 total yards

Rutgers-
-5/8 for 81 yards passing
-20 rushes for 72 yards.
-153 total yards

• Wow
Reactions: jjw165
Has KLS played?
M.I.A.

Remember during bowl season when KLS seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about people questioning his ability to be a true #1 WR for PSU in 2023? It sure seems like PSU does not have a real college football #1 WR. probably not a #2 from a top 15 team. KLS wouldn't likely be #4 at OSU.

It's not time to bench him. That doesn't do us any good.
I disagree. The kid has never had to work for it. He shows up he is #2 - why? Because he is a 5 star wtf that means He has always been a star and told he is just that. He shows up on campus and has a Tesla just because he has potential. I had a 19 yr old once who was a talented D1 athlete who just could not handle all the expectation. It reminds me of allar.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I disagree. The kid has never had to work for it. He shows up he is #2 - why? Because he is a 5 star wtf that means He has always been a star and told he is just that. He shows up on campus and has a Tesla just because he has potential. I had a 19 yr old once who was a talented D1 athlete who just could not handle all the expectation. It reminds me of allar.
He absolutely had to work for it. If not, he would have played last year. He's light years ahead of Beau at this point.

Is a QB missing a receiver that he can't anticipate where he's going surprising?
Allar hasn't been good--don't get me wrong--but there's obvious factors impacting him
He threw the same terrible pass to 84 at the beginning of the game and Theo was able to bail him out. The release on those is so ugly - like he is afraid to let it go.

He threw the same terrible pass to 84 at the beginning of the game and Theo was able to bail him out. The release on those is so ugly - like he is afraid to let it go.
I do think he's absolutely terrified of making a mistake that he's in his head and I blame the staff for that.
I just think he gives us the best chance to win. Beau's not a threat to throw the ball at all.
I don't think Allar fits our scheme though--I do think it would best for him to portal. Franklin & co need to do a better job recruiting players that fit what they want to do offensively IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT