ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State choosing money over attendance?

Like my realtor says, “you can’t fix split level”
That building just sucks.

I watched an unbelievably entertaining Iowa-PSU wrestling match there. Place was rocking.They are a winning program which makes it easier, but that is sort of the point. Put a top product on the court and PSU fans will show up irrespective of where it is played.

Reactions: Ski and Ranger Dan
I was able to buy tickets over the weekend directly from PSU by calling the ticket office at face value. Got lower bowl tickets for the OSU Game for $24 a piece after taxes and fees for adults, and $14 for children. If you call and do not go through whatever ticketing site they are using you can get very affordable tickets to the game. Even if they lose to Rutgers, I am assuming they will start to get a very good atmosphere for the games in conference play.

I watched an unbelievably entertaining Iowa-PSU wrestling match there. Place was rocking.They are a winning program which makes it easier, but that is sort of the point. Put a top product on the court and PSU fans will show up irrespective of where it is played.

I agree. It's never going to be a great basketball arena. Will always have too much dead space at end-lines, court side seats far away, cavernous.... But you get 11,000-12,000 people in there, and the place would be rocking.... still a crappy building. But would be rocking.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I would tend to agree with this. And that Chambers was consulted in this decision.

I am not sure of the BJC attendance ... so do NOT nitt-pick on the numbers. But I could definitely see a conversation between sandy & Chambers where they discussed having maybe 9,000 or 10,000 fans scattered around the 14,000 seat building OR having the entire 8,000 seat lower bowl jam-packed. If I am Chambers, I to would pick simply having the lower bowl sold out. The optics would be much better.
My issue was never that they held back any upper deck seating, it was that they jacked the price from $24 to $50. I agree to keep the attendees/fans in close proximity but it’s like they were hoping to not open the remaining sections. Also, now seats in upper section are $20, while seats in opposite side but same relative position were $50. If I paid $50 last week and someone paid $20 this week I would be angry.

My issue was never that they held back any upper deck seating, it was that they jacked the price from $24 to $50. I agree to keep the attendees/fans in close proximity but it’s like they were hoping to not open the remaining sections. Also, now seats in upper section are $20, while seats in opposite side but same relative position were $50. If I paid $50 last week and someone paid $20 this week I would be angry.
Almost happened to me. Was debating and almost bought tickets more than half way up the upper section for $50 on Friday. Glad I waited and got front row upper section for only $20 ... I would have been pissed.

Now I just paid more than I wanted to for the hockey game Friday night (making a weekend of it), but those tickets are shrinking fast and "you can't take it with you". Saturday night hockey game prices are ridiculous!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I went to Glennrook North - lived in Norhbrook.

Well, there goes the neighborhood. ;) Seriously, I knew a bunch of people at North, and taught summer school there every other year. I remain grateful that the bulk of my teaching career happened in that neck of the woods. I was blessed.

Well, there goes the neighborhood. ;) Seriously, I knew a bunch of people at North, and taught summer school there every other year. I remain grateful that the bulk of my teaching career happened in that neck of the woods. I was blessed.
Great place to grow up - went to Oakland Elementary School which is now a Korean Church I believe- lot of money in the area (which we didn’t have) but it really helped with the school system which was first class and I am sure you contributed to that.

Sounds like the situation is ripe for a new Assistant Associate Athletic Rep for Basketball Ticket Prices for Key Games. The new position will pay $110,000 per year with full benefits. Poor Sandy is overworked and can't possibly handle this without more help.

benefits include a bonus based on price per ticket sold.
Saw the other day that nfl attendance is down, while viewership is up ( despite the nauseating number of commercials). Pretty clear signal, I’d say.

FC: Prices dropped to $20 now.

I called the ticket office and brought that up. The person I talked to had no idea why the prices went up, or even that they did. He is looking into it and giving me a call back. I commented how short-sighted that is if we are trying to build a fanbase, I’m glad to see the prices dropped. All of this happen while the ticketing office was out for winter break (fwiw, maybe it was automated thing having to do with demand, and it got changed when the ticket office was back?)

Forget the BJC... Let's do what Oklahoma State did a few years ago and renovate Rec Hall like they did Gallagher Iba Arena.

23af5c0a99978a90d7bd016cfc1d12d8.jpg

:cool:

I tend to think they'll be refunded. I realized that it was clearly a mistake when I called to complain. I have lower level sideline seats, so I wasn't wronged by it either

Let just say their ticket pricing schemes aren’t on the mark. It took them all the way to mid November to figure out what we knew in July: that PSU v Rutgers Football after Thanksgiving Day would be the lowest priced ticket of the year. They had them at $60 while open resale was at $15-18....and then lowered them to $30 in November trying to sell the remaining tickets. Smh

Good to see the price drop to something reasonable. There is no excuse for it not to be sold out or close to it other than weather.. this team is really good. Saturday afternoon. Hockey at night. Revenge game vs OSU. White it out and make it a hornet's nest for Ohio State. Bryce Jordan can be absolutely rocking given the right circumstances. This is one of them. Now hopefully we can take care of business tomorrow night and the next couple games and maybe be sitting in the top 15 or 10 by then. This is the year to make a national statement.

I’m a block off Dundee now, just above the lagoons.
Too funny - grew up at 1035 Marshall Road - 3 bedroom ranch that the new owners put a second story on like a lot in that neighborhood- crazy how much those houses now go for - I think my Dad paid $35K for it but that was way back in 1964 I think.

I think Sandy should put together a TASK. FORCE. :eek: to hire a leading consulting firm to conduct an extensive study to propose an expanded athletic administrative structure to optimize profitability.

Reactions: m48tank
Good to see the price drop to something reasonable. There is no excuse for it not to be sold out or close to it other than weather.. this team is really good. Saturday afternoon. Hockey at night. Revenge game vs OSU. White it out and make it a hornet's nest for Ohio State. Bryce Jordan can be absolutely rocking given the right circumstances. This is one of them. Now hopefully we can take care of business tomorrow night and the next couple games and maybe be sitting in the top 15 or 10 by then. This is the year to make a national statement.
RU opened as a 2.5 point favorite for tonight

RU opened as a 2.5 point favorite for tonight
We’ll see... Rutgers is no pushover. Unfortunately, if Penn State loses to Rutgers it will bring everyone out of the woodwork criticizing Chambers. Winning on the road in the Big Ten is tough.

Yup, big game.. PSU is now favored. Definitely a scary game. No Geo Baker for them is a break for us. Have to show up ready or they'll beat us.
I’m a little worried about the toll that playing in the Palestra game (was crazy hot in there) will have. Hopefully the team gets very hydrated.

We’ll see... Rutgers is no pushover. Unfortunately, if Penn State loses to Rutgers it will bring everyone out of the woodwork criticizing Chambers. Winning on the road in the Big Ten is tough.
This may be the best RU team since their 1976 Final 4 team

I’m a little worried about the toll that playing in the Palestra game (was crazy hot in there) will have. Hopefully the team gets very hydrated.

Lamar only played 24 minutes and Mike 21 due to foul trouble. They went 10 deep and nobody played 30 minutes. Also, the team traveled from Philly to NJ Saturday evening so they have been settled in for a few days. I don't think physically the team will be drained. The mental side is a different story.

These are college kids in early January. Physical fatigue is a non-issue. Maybe if they were 30, but not as 20 year olds

We need to ditch water polo like Klempsun. Go to some private school in New England if you wanna do that stuff.

#WomensWaterPoloIsTheProblem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT