ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State basketball

Penn State could finish 7th in the Big Ten. Unless you fire Chambers for pushing Dread, or for the 10th straight loss to start conference play, then you’d be firing Chambers for not making the big dance. Is this the criteria... you have 8 years to make the big dance or else?
Plz describe how we finish 7th

Reactions: Lion8286
Penn State could finish 7th in the Big Ten. Unless you fire Chambers for pushing Dread, or for the 10th straight loss to start conference play, then you’d be firing Chambers for not making the big dance. Is this the criteria... you have 8 years to make the big dance or else?

No they couldn't. Katz doesn't know what he's talking about. They can get a bye though. If Indiana wins out (over Illinois and Rutgers) and we win Sunday (against Illinois) we get the ten seed for the tournament.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
No they couldn't. Katz doesn't know what he's talking about. They can get a bye though. If Indiana wins out (over Illinois and Rutgers) and we win Sunday (against Illinois) we get the ten seed for the tournament.
Dude is a clown. A simple pulling up of the standings show this to be the case

Just to follow up...we’ll probably be about a 7-8 point favorite over Illinois, and Indiana will be a 6-7 point favorite over Rutgers. However, Indiana is a two point underdog at Illinois tomorrow night. That’s the biggest hurdle in these 3 games we need.

No, I'm firing Pat Chambers for, in eight years, losing more games than he's won. Don't know how clearer it has to be. But if you want to use eight years to make the NCAA tournament as a benchmark, that works, too. Don't know of any other school that has that much patience.

Right or wrong, I think Pat has probably ensured his return at this point. hard to believe; it looked like a sure bet he was getting fired as of about a month ago.

Reactions: bison13
Blowing a huge lead and beating Rutgers in their own crib is the best news we're going to get on a Wednesday in the first week of March. Miracle win, really. Sip a drink or have a cigar. You're gonna go far....

PSU can win 7 games and play 7th seed OSU on Thursday, but that's it for the 7s. Max 10 seed

Bo Ryan? Haven't read this whole thread but is he really an option?
Next season Bo Ryan will be 72 years old ......not to mention he made a mess of his last job with an affair that brought law suits against his former employer. Can we please move on from the absurd idea that Penn State should hire him.

Next season Bo Ryan will be 72 years old ......not to mention he made a mess of his last job with an affair that brought law suits against his former employer. Can we please move on from the absurd idea that Penn State should hire him.
This season, coach K is 72. I’d also return his calls if he were interested.

Pitt found the money in a little place called "Tuition."

But you're right. PSU has the financial resources to buy out Chambers and pay a new coach considerably more. I just think that there's something in Barbour's makeup that causes her to be gun shy, otherwise she would have fired Chambers before last year.

Oh, and I agree. Washington is gone (that's an easy one) and Chambers stays.

Not gun shy at all ... and I can't believe i'm about to defend Sandy but ... she had her (correct) priorities in order. Money that was needed was going towards football and things Franklin needed first. You're correct though that PSU now has the money to do both .... its just a matter if he's winning enough at the end of the season with the #2 hardest SOS in the country to want to give him a 9th year to make the tournament. Btw if he was retained and didn't make it next year, we still wouldnt be the longest school to stick with a coach who hasn't made the tournament. Northwestern will probably never lose that title lol

Not gun shy at all ... and I can't believe i'm about to defend Sandy but ... she had her (correct) priorities in order. Money that was needed was going towards football and things Franklin needed first. You're correct though that PSU now has the money to do both .... its just a matter if he's winning enough at the end of the season with the #2 hardest SOS in the country to want to give him a 9th year to make the tournament. Btw if he was retained and didn't make it next year, we still wouldnt be the longest school to stick with a coach who hasn't made the tournament. Northwestern will probably never lose that title lol

I don't think money is an object. She can just borrow. How do you think she's funding "the things that Franklin needed," the $4mm she's sending to the University so that Indiana Fats and Molly can get greater joy on their regular walks through the Arboretum? I would think that an investment in the basketball program would be a high priority, particularly for someone who wants to leave a mark.

All evidence to the contrary:

Changes in Annual Expenditures since Barbour hired:

Student Aid: +$5,044,251 +33.1%

Coaching: +$6,483,086 +28.5%

Administration: +$10,207,214 +62.6%

"Priority #1" is pretty clear :)

Gotta spend money to make money!:)

Just to follow up...we’ll probably be about a 7-8 point favorite over Illinois, and Indiana will be a 6-7 point favorite over Rutgers. However, Indiana is a two point underdog at Illinois tomorrow night. That’s the biggest hurdle in these 3 games we need.

Mission accomplished. Indiana tromps Illinois 92-74.

Nothing will change until Sunday. Both games tip-off at noon. Indiana will be favored hosting Rutgers and so will we hosting Illinois. If chalk holds, we get the 10th seed and a Wednesday bye. No other games matter for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT