ADVERTISEMENT

PC being set up at OSU (and results of, and reaction to, BOT decision)

The whole press conference just raises more questions. Urbs and his wife met with the Smith''s at UF to counsel them. Courtney was in contact with all the coaches wives. BUT Urbs only knew him through work. A whole lot of stuff does not add up, but nothing to see here. We met with Urbs twice and believe him. We just didn't bother to ask too many questions.

For anyone that didn't see the presser:

White was the first to speak at Wednesday's press conference. From her comments:

White said more than 40 witnesses were interviewed as part of Ohio State's investigation.

White says that Urban Meyer and Gene Smith "acted in good faith," but they did not report the allegations against Zach Smith in 2015 to compliance in the manner in which investigators felt they should have.

White said investigators "did not determine that Urban Meyer deliberately lied" about the 2015 allegations against Zach Smith at Big Ten Media Days.

Meyer, Smith and Drake then all took their seats at the stage to make statements and answer questions. From their comments:

Drake: "We made this decision today based on our values as a university."

Smith: "I want to express my sincere apologies for the situation that we have before us."

Smith: "I fully support the findings of the report, and the subsequent actions that the university has taken."

Smith: "I understand that I could have done a better job in this particular instance."

Smith thanks Ryan Day for his leadership while Meyer has been away from the team, and asks everyone to continue to support Day as well as the rest of the staff and the football team. Said he will meet with Day in the coming days to "reaffirm his commitment" to being the interim head coach.

Meyer: "I want to apologize to Buckeye Nation. I followed my heart, not my head ... At each juncture, I gave Zach Smith the benefit of the doubt." Meyer admits that his loyalty to Zach's grandfather, Earle Bruce, affected his decision-making.

Meyer: "I did a poor job at media day. It's a big reason why we're here today ... but there was no intent to mislead."

Meyer: "I appreciate the opportunity to learn from a mistake, and I'll work as hard as I ever have to make our strong program even stronger."

Smith: "I have huge regret for my inability to be the particular leader that I should have been in this situation."

Smith: "I am very supportive of the decisions that have been made."

Meyer on how he handled the Zach Smith situation: "I wish I would have known more. If I would have known more, I would have acted quicker."

Drake on Wednesday's lengthy deliberations: "We wanted to be fair, we wanted to be equitable." Said they took the time they did to make sure that they put the time in they needed to make the right decision.

Gene Smith said he was not part of Wednesday's deliberations.
Do you feel you should have been suspended? Meyer: "I trust and support our president."

Meyer said he was not aware of Zach Smith's citation for criminal trespassing before it was reported publicly.

Meyer said the decision to terminate Zach Smith entered his mind on July 23 when he found out that Smith had a domestic violence civil protection order against him.

Gene Smith said he was not aware of the domestic violence allegations made against Zach

Smith while he was a graduate assistant at Florida in 2009 when Zach Smith was hired in

Meyer on being away from his team: "It's been very tough. One of the toughest things that I've experienced."

Meyer described his current team as "one of the best groups I've ever been around."

Asked about the Richard Strauss investigation, Drake said he could not comment on that because it is an ongoing investigation.

Meyer: "Ultimately, I'm responsible for everyone's behavior in the football department, and there was some behavior going on that maybe I was unaware of, but I should have been aware of it."

What's your message for Courtney Smith? Meyer: "I'm sorry we're in this situation. I'm just sorry we're in this situation."

Meyer said he was not aware of Shelley Meyer's text messages to Courtney Smith.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The question now is whether recruits care or not? The other question is over/under that LJ announces his intent to retire after this season?

IndolentCostlyAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif
Is that Emerett or Delaney? I can't tell.

Wait a minute, Gene Smith is suspended. How is going to have this conversation?

Gene Smith said he will meet with Ryan Day in the coming days to "reaffirm his commitment" to being Ohio State's interim head coach.
I believe his suspension doesn't start until August 31st

This result was is exactly what I expected, and I believe I said this is what would happen when OSU launches their “investigation.” UM is too important for OSU to lose so they just give him a BS punishment to save face.

At least one truth at OSU Press Conference

We base this decision on the values of the University!!!-- or lack thereof!!

Mary Jo lady says-- Urban Meyer did not tell the truth at Big 10 Media Days-- but the board concluded he did not lie!! Seems like we are in an alternate universe.

The whiteout will be vicious!!!

There are three things you can say in answer to a question: the truth, a false statement that is the result of a mistake, or a lie.

Except at Ohio State. There is apparently a fourth category in Columbus: the "non-deliberate lie." The woman who used to be head of the SEC repeatedly and pointedly said that Urban did not "deliberately lie."

Lies are intentionally false statements. They are deliberate. Even when they happen reflexively, as they often do with Urban, they are deliberate, intentional misstatements of fact.
Somehow she knew if she called it a mistake, the hoots of derision would have drowned her out. So she used a negative to create a thing that nobody has ever done...the non-deliberate lie.

“...I will be focused on making our strong program even stronger” - but not one comment about Courtney Smith, her kids, treatment and abuse of women.

Chock full of lies! I love thiis scumbag is sticking around. He is a “scarlett” letter wirh an “A” for “Abuse” covering the warts on his face. Osu students are tone deaf too.

We base this decision on the values of the University!!!-- or lack thereof!!

Mary Jo lady says-- Urban Meyer did not tell the truth at Big 10 Media Days-- but the board concluded he did not lie!! Seems like we are in an alternate universe.

The whiteout will be vicious!!!
Bizarro world.

about future hiring practices when he didn't know his fate? Or did he?

Urban is still abusing the victim. No remorse.

Da O$U had over 2 weeks to work this obviously orchestrated outcome and ended up with that crap performance?!?! I guess it’s what I’d expect of the dumbass buckeyes (or is it ‘blackeyes‘). I find it comical / like a theater of the absurd.

about future hiring practices when he didn't know his fate? Or did he?

I found it weird on a lot of levels that he met with HR “today” - Genie “dumb as a atump” Smith just figured out today he needs HR help?!?! He’s got 3 other more senior coaches on Urbie’s staff that they had to pass over for the interim head coach role - wtf is that? You have people you are paying millions that may seem to be bad choices for leading your student athletes?!?!

Herbstreit on ESPN going soft on and making excuses for Meyer.

I'm pretty neutral to even positive on Herbstreit in general, but the BS he was peddling was heavy. His logic basically came down to "the coach has too much responsibility to deal with this stuff" and "a head coach isn't the right person to address things like this because they aren't trained for it".

So, Kirk, what should they do? Maybe pass on what they know to the proper folks and then butt the heck out? And what should they do if the person in question doesn't even work for them anymore?

Again--what obligation was he under to tell the truth in that situation? Literally everyone lies...if you haven't ever lied enjoy sainthood.

I agree, the lie isn't the issue. It's no skin off your teeth unless you perjure yourself. But here's the kicker (and there's no way around it). Our leaders anymore seem to be bereft of moral compass. Rules and regulations are for us 'little people', not them. So we might as well shutdown the Mueller probe and save ourselves a whole boatload in unnecessary legal fees. It has come to be expected, and Meyer getting off-the-hook only confirms it. Yes? In closing, we can only hope they take down that 'respect women' poster in the Woody Hayes center. If it's not too much to ask for. :oops:

Watch this. This is the best. She says Meyer “falsely stated” several things but did not deliberately lie!! Hahahaha.

Reactions: richmin3
I wonder how mothers of recruits will react. Momma is often the key in grabbing elite players. Respect for women and family is lower than it has ever been. Good mother’s raise their sons to respect and protect women.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT