ADVERTISEMENT

PC being set up at OSU (and results of, and reaction to, BOT decision)

Or time to prepare and coordinate statements, etc. once they announce his reinstatement.
my guess is that they are questioning what other shoes may drop. If Meyer says, ostensibly, "none" he is OK. But it doesn't make sense for either party to reinstate him if another bomb goes off in two days. If so, Meyer would be much better off to act outraged and resign (with tOSU's approval).

Stand down Gentlemen...

"An Ohio State spokesman just came out told us this could go on for while, and no promise decision will be revealed today. Oh, and that they ordered pizza for the media."

Reactions: nittany dave
If Meyer has been in with the BOT for that long it would seem to me they have the report from the investigators and a lot of questions for Urban. In theory that sounds like bad news for Urban as it would imply there are a lot more issues involved than simply what he knew of in 2015 and why he lied. Thatwould have been covered by the investigative team. Perhaps the BOT feels they cannot reinstate him until they get him on the record about everything that has come out or will come out when the report is released.
One other thing that has not been discussed. OSU a huge university with many thousands of employees. It seems reasonable to assume there have been other instances with a similar fact pattern involving a management employee who failed to take appropriate action - what happened to that/those employees? If they were suspended for a month, that's what should happen to Urban. If they were terminated, same result here.

Hmm. Already trying to get the media on their side.
Well, lots of motives. perhaps just for comic relief:

dc-pizza-boy.jpg

Reactions: nittany dave
From the very beginning, Ohio State officials were working to find a scenario in which they could retain Urban without causing an uproar. Nothing that happens should surprise anyone.

Since Urban - an enabler of a documented wife beater - has clearly won, does it mean the #MeToo movement is weakened if not dead?

Obviously he isn't being fired. If they were going to fire him they would have given him a piece of paper with a number on it for him to call.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Or time to prepare and coordinate statements, etc. once they announce his reinstatement.
To this point, if Meyer is reinstated, whoever writes the OSU statement is going to have do a world class piece of work. In essence they are going to have to construct a statement that talks about the university's core values, everyone at OSU must comply with them, they have a culture of zero tolerance for domestic abuse.... and then explain why they knew of abuse allegations (makes no difference if they are true or not) but made a determination those allegations and that employees' conduct did not warrant discipline, and the people who made those determinations (Meyer and Smith) are still entrusted to lead the program even though they seem to display a very high tolerance for domestic violence.
By the way, to those who say Smith was never convicted, or even charged of anything, the reason that is not relevant is because that would imply that OSU conducted a full investigation of the allegations in whatever year and determined them to be without merit. I think we all know there was no effort by OSU to learn about the facts; if they had done so, there would never have been a suspension or investigation and they would have released the history on day on as it would have cleared all involved.

From the very beginning, Ohio State officials were working to find a scenario in which they could retain Urban without causing an uproar. Nothing that happens should surprise anyone.

Since Urban - an enabler of a documented wife beater - has clearly won, does it mean the #MeToo movement is weakened if not dead?

Asia Argento says yes.

9am - BOT welcomes Urban. Scolds him to never hire another coach that beats women. Welcome back Coach!!! Wink wink!!!

9:05am. Now, let’s draft our statement to the press and draw straws as to who has to give it.

9:15am - Brakfast buffet with Bloody Mary’s.

I'd blame any damage to the Me Too movement on Asia Argento.

To this point, if Meyer is reinstated, whoever writes the OSU statement is going to have do a world class piece of work. In essence they are going to have to construct a statement that talks about the university's core values, everyone at OSU must comply with them, they have a culture of zero tolerance for domestic abuse.... and then explain why they knew of abuse allegations (makes no difference if they are true or not) but made a determination those allegations and that employees' conduct did not warrant discipline, and the people who made those determinations (Meyer and Smith) are still entrusted to lead the program even though they seem to display a very high tolerance for domestic violence.
By the way, to those who say Smith was never convicted, or even charged of anything, the reason that is not relevant is because that would imply that OSU conducted a full investigation of the allegations in whatever year and determined them to be without merit. I think we all know there was no effort by OSU to learn about the facts; if they had done so, there would never have been a suspension or investigation and they would have released the history on day on as it would have cleared all involved.
I can't wait to do a full compare and contrast between how OSU's BOT handled this vs. how PSU's supremely incompetent BOT handled Sandusky matters.

The good news is that no matter what these jerks decide, osu loses.

Except on the football field where they most likely will continue to win more than they deserve.

Reactions: acg116
Her 2015 text that she's afraid of her husbands assistant coach has been forgotten about by the Buckeye mob.

My position from the beginning was this would come down to a "letter" vs. "spirit" debate. I think their BOT/admin will put the burden of blame on the ambiguity of the policies. "We need to tighten up and clarify our policies". UM followed the vague letter of the policy and therefore is off the hook.
Totally agree

The story of the Powell police changing the police records needs to be investigated further. Modifying a police report 3 years after the incident is beyond sketchy.
my wife has a case like that. DA admitted evidence was falsified. Then they give 40 people that handled the records and have no idea who falsified it....then the penalty is simply retrial. So its like a guy robbing a bank and then just giving the money back: no harm no foul, right?

My position from the beginning was this would come down to a "letter" vs. "spirit" debate. I think their BOT/admin will put the burden of blame on the ambiguity of the policies. "We need to tighten up and clarify our policies". UM followed the vague letter of the policy and therefore is off the hook.

Agree...OSU BOT probably also discussing plus and minus of keeping UM on board if more info comes out later that shows he knew. Whether its better to cut bait now with him or risk more bad info coming out later

I am not sure. I heard on the radio that the Powell Police Dept admitted they changed the 2015 report in 2018. Very coincidental.

That would be a big deal if true. I was under the impression the box was changed in a period of a day or so in 2015. If it was changed in 2018 that would be a real issue and major chicanery.

Reactions: step.eng69
My position from the beginning was this would come down to a "letter" vs. "spirit" debate. I think their BOT/admin will put the burden of blame9 on the ambiguity of the policies. "We need to tighten up and clarify our policies". UM followed the vague letter of the policy and therefore is off the hook.
There is a clause in his contract that states if he becomes aware of such a situation, he must report it IN WRITING up the chain of command. Failure to do so is a fireable event. If such a report was not made at the time, I am sure it exists now, written sometime in the last two weeks.

Kinda like Private Santiago's transfer orders in A Few Good Men.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT