ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Nardouche

I'll take it one step further here. The Lairbots actually will root against/boycott their own pro team if a player from Penn State is on it. I've read posts from how bad Jesse James sucks and how he supports child rape to bad mouthing Marcus Allen up and down despite him never having played a down for the Steelers. Do you think people here piss and moan about James Conner and say they'll never watch their favorite NFL team again for drafting a Pitt player?
I grew up a Dolphins fan and I was not happy when they drafted Marino because he was a Pitt grad....but I quickly because a huge fan. If you’re cheering against a player on your team because of where he went to college, then you’re not a real fan. It’s time to find another hobby.

Not caring to enter the argument, but isn't living vicariously precisely what a fan of any team/sport is doing?

No, living vicariously implies you want to have the experience they are having. Most fans likely just enjoy watching the game.

Perhaps it's because you didn't grow up in a pro football city? .
I grew up in Pittsburgh and am old enough to remember watching 4 of the 6 Super Bowls. I care about the Steelers an order of magnitude less than I do PSU. I only probably see half of the Steelers games each year (I don't have Sunday ticket and rarely go to a bar to watch, so unless they are on TV in the DMV, I don't see them). I never miss watching a PSU game. Ever.

Who said that makes you a bad person?

Nobody, but everyone else was embellishing things in this thread, so I figured it was allowed.

Did you read the entire thread before commenting, because I think you missed this part:

I have read every post in this thread.

Do you get "excited" about what Penn State players do after they graduate?

When they are successful, yes. Absolutely.

Are you "very enthusiastic and eager" to talk about their NFL success on message boards?

Absolutely, though I'm not sure where on the enthusiasm and eagerness meters you are talking about with this question. So I'll try to be more specific. I check box scores to see how Penn Staters did. And I'll gladly chime in on a message board where people are discussing these players. When possible, I'll watch games.

Do you prioritize following their careers above most other aspects of your life?

Of course not. Sports is a hobby, not my life. But it is one of my bigger hobbies, so maybe I do more than you are willing to accept as a healthy level.

Do you put what past PSU players do in the NFL above what current PSU players are doing?

Above? No. But as I said already, I put PSU players in the NFL above what the Steelers do. And I don't dismiss them simply because they no longer play on Saturday's in Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I grew up in Pittsburgh and am old enough to remember watching 4 of the 6 Super Bowls. I care about the Steelers an order of magnitude less than I do PSU. I only probably see half of the Steelers games each year (I don't have Sunday ticket and rarely go to a bar to watch, so unless they are on TV in the DMV, I don't see them). I never miss watching a PSU game. Ever.

I was born in Butler and I watched all 8 Super Bowls -- the 6 wins and the 2 losses. I usually don't even watch the Steelers unless they are on during prime time. But, like you, I watch every PSU game.

My idiot friend got married on PSU - OSU Saturday in '95 maybe (the Eddie George fumble game). He was mad at us for not hanging out in the reception room. A bunch of us were in the room next door where the game was on TV.

Also, I watched the Pitt game on my phone driving back from Maine in 2016. Made my father in law drive that stretch.

I watched the Pitt game last year on my phone too -- via facetime (I was in Maine and they had the University of Maine on instead). Had a friend position his iPad in front of his TV so I could watch.

I'll take it one step further here. The Lairbots actually will root against/boycott their own pro team if a player from Penn State is on it. I've read posts from how bad Jesse James sucks and how he supports child rape to bad mouthing Marcus Allen up and down despite him never having played a down for the Steelers. Do you think people here piss and moan about James Conner and say they'll never watch their favorite NFL team again for drafting a Pitt player?
One of those a-holes actually hoped JJ blew out his knee and never played again because he was from PSU and he was a Steelers fan as well. They are a special group of scum on the liar.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
Nobody, but everyone else was embellishing things in this thread, so I figured it was allowed.

I have read every post in this thread.

When they are successful, yes. Absolutely.

Absolutely, though I'm not sure where on the enthusiasm and eagerness meters you are talking about with this question. So I'll try to be more specific. I check box scores to see how Penn Staters did. And I'll gladly chime in on a message board where people are discussing these players. When possible, I'll watch games.

Of course not. Sports is a hobby, not my life. But it is one of my bigger hobbies, so maybe I do more than you are willing to accept as a healthy level.

Above? No. But as I said already, I put PSU players in the NFL above what the Steelers do. And I don't dismiss them simply because they no longer play on Saturday's in Beaver Stadium.

So you care a little more than me, but you clearly don't act like Pitt fans do in this regard.

Agree 100%. I grew up in Wash Pa and while yes everyone there is a big steeler fan, I view it like this: The blue collar non college educated are much more of pro football fans than those who are not. Even my friends who went to small schools like W & J, Waynesburg, Cal PA, etc. are more college football/basketball fans than pro ones. Around there its a 3 way split between PSU/Pitt/WVU.

They didn’t get him and Kela just for this year. Under team control until 2021. Very good move.

Boy, I sure am excited about this trade! ;)

I’m a Pirate fan and it’s nice to see them put in effort but it will result in continuous middle of the pack finishes and just missing the wild card

You should see how exciting it is to see a team compete on a national level in college football

Reactions: odshowtime
Who said that makes you a bad person? Did you read the entire thread before commenting, because I think you missed this part:

Do you get "excited" about what Penn State players do after they graduate? Are you "very enthusiastic and eager" to talk about their NFL success on message boards? Do you prioritize following their careers above most other aspects of your life? Do you put what past PSU players do in the NFL above what current PSU players are doing? If so, you might be a Pitt fan.

Where in the list of examples of things that I specifically say are exciting to me, did I say it was exhaustive or should apply to others? Now I understand why you feel stupid... back to 3rd grade reading class for you! Working on your reading comprehension will be a better use of your time than making embarrassing posts that make no sense and add no value.

If you get excited by living vicariously through some kids you never met after they have graduated, more power to you. But some of us have more to our lives than that.

Lol. You still don’t get it. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, so let me make it simple for you. Only an arrogant a$$ would presume to tell others what they should and should not be excited about. You live your life as you want, let others do as they please. My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. Your need to control someone else’s priorities is the issue.

Edit: Oh, and turn your sarcasm meter back on.

Lol. You still don’t get it. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, so let me make it simple for you. Only an arrogant a$$ would presume to tell others what they should and should not be excited about. You live your life as you want, let others do as they please. My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. Your need to control someone else’s priorities is the issue.

Edit: Oh, and turn your sarcasm meter back on.

Lol. You still don’t get it. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, so let me make it simple for you. I never told anyone what they should and should not be excited about. In fact, I challenged you in my previous post to provide evidence of this ridiculous accusation. Only an arrogant a$$ would ignore these facts and keep on on posting nonsense. The only other explanation is that your reading comprehension sucks, neither is a good look for you. No one cares if you get excited by Pitt football, my little ponies, or sleep overs with Jim Harbaugh. But if your priorities are abnormal, and you share them on a message board, don't be surprised if you get made fun of. I can't believe I have to explain this.

I think that part is obvious, and I never meant to imply that. The Penn State fan base is simply too big to just be from Central PA, which is a compliment.

I was just brainstorming, trying to come up with an explanation for liking college football over pro football. Nothing wrong with that.

It not that complicated - I find the college game more interesting and entertaining. I like the variety approaches to the game on both sides of the ball; it creates more interesting games. I can sit down and thoroughly enjoy a college game even if I don't have an rooting interest because of that. That CFB brings added color through school traditions and rivalries only adds to the appeal. At this point, I don't find most NFL games very compelling. There isn't nearly the variety in approaches to the game, and an individual regular season game lacks the significance of any CFB regular season game involving a team with championship aspirations.

All good points. College football is unique in its own, special way. Definitely agree that there's more tradition and pride that comes with it.

I love college football, but I'm a pro football guy. That's just how I'm wired. Mostly because that's how my family was when I was growing up. I'd take a lot of pride in watching my team win Super Bowls growing up and then, as I grew up and moved to different places, got to say that I'm from Pittsburgh. I get goosebumps when we go to Steelers games on the road and the home fans are just baffled at how much black and gold there is.

Maybe it's because, for the most part, my pro team is much better than my college team! :D:oops:
"Nitter!" signed The Lair

All good points. College football is unique in its own, special way. Definitely agree that there's more tradition and pride that comes with it.

I love college football, but I'm a pro football guy. That's just how I'm wired. Mostly because that's how my family was when I was growing up. I'd take a lot of pride in watching my team win Super Bowls growing up and then, as I grew up and moved to different places, got to say that I'm from Pittsburgh. I get goosebumps when we go to Steelers games on the road and the home fans are just baffled at how much black and gold there is.

Maybe it's because, for the most part, my pro team is much better than my college team! :D:oops:

I'm from NEPA, but started rooting for the Steelers in 1970 when I was all of 7 years old. I did it largely as a product of being a Pirates fan - talk about buying in at the right time. I've been in the DC area since '87, and there are plenty of good places to watch games with fellow fans. Even during the Joe Gibbs era it wasn't a bad place to be a Steelers fan; the area has no shortage of native Pennsylvanians. I don't dislike the NFL, I just prefer the college game.

I'm from NEPA, but started rooting for the Steelers in 1970 when I was all of 7 years old. I did it largely as a product of being a Pirates fan - talk about buying in at the right time. I've been in the DC area since '87, and there are plenty of good places to watch games with fellow fans. Even during the Joe Gibbs era it wasn't a bad place to be a Steelers fan; the area has no shortage of native Pennsylvanians. I don't dislike the NFL, I just prefer the college game.
The “Out of the Way Cafe” in Derwood, MD, s short drive for me, is a maniac Steelers bar.

Well, Pat put up his "Pat Signal" about 10 hours ago and the player has kept it a secret. I'm guessing he's embarrassed?

Reactions: odshowtime
Well, Pat put up his "Pat Signal" about 10 hours ago and the player has kept it a secret. I'm guessing he's embarrassed?

He has probably been texting Rakim Jarrett and negative recruiting Ohio State. Noticed a few of penn states coaching staff liked this tweet. We know that’s how pitt tried to recruit previously. I would think they’d stick to negative recruiting Stoney brook and mount union the teams they are competing for kids with

Lol. You still don’t get it. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, so let me make it simple for you. I never told anyone what they should and should not be excited about. In fact, I challenged you in my previous post to provide evidence of this ridiculous accusation. Only an arrogant a$$ would ignore these facts and keep on on posting nonsense. The only other explanation is that your reading comprehension sucks, neither is a good look for you. No one cares if you get excited by Pitt football, my little ponies, or sleep overs with Jim Harbaugh. But if your priorities are abnormal, and you share them on a message board, don't be surprised if you get made fun of. I can't believe I have to explain this.

Sigh.. just re-read the post I initially quoted where you told HailToPitt725 that his priorities were screwed up, and now you tell me that mine are. I can’t believe you are so thick as to not see yourself in the mirror, but alas, welcome to ignore. You aren’t worth the trouble.

You might want to take a look at this video where Pennsylvania QB Phil Jurkovec is asked what staff negatively recruited the most. His answer... Pitt. It's at the very end of the video................

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/getting-to-know-notre-dame-qb-signee-phil-jurkovec/

Haha, I was just looking at this kid's tweet, how ironic. Considering we're not in the race for him while Penn State is, I don't think he's referring to Coach Narduzzi.

I think yinz are a bit too critical of Pat. Here's what an anonymous ACC head coach had to say about him at the recent ACC Media Day:

"Pat (Narduzzi) is one of my favorite guys in the business. A tough guy, a fair guy, a fun guy. That team plays exactly to his personality — and I mean that in a good way."

They also share my confidence in the defense and feel a bit better about it than you do:

"They really started playing well on defense near the end of the season, and you really saw what they could do in the Miami game. They’re going to be very good on defense this year. That front seven is filthy. They look a lot like those Michigan State defenses he had that were the foundation of that program becoming elite."

Sorry Mike, but I'm going to have to side with the coaches who evaluate talent for a living and know him first hand. ;)

Haha, I was just looking at this kid's tweet, how ironic. Considering we're not in the race for him while Penn State is, I don't think he's referring to Coach Narduzzi.

I think yinz are a bit too critical of Pat. Here's what an anonymous ACC head coach had to say about him at the recent ACC Media Day:

"Pat (Narduzzi) is one of my favorite guys in the business. A tough guy, a fair guy, a fun guy. That team plays exactly to his personality — and I mean that in a good way."

They also share my confidence in the defense and feel a bit better about it than you do:

"They really started playing well on defense near the end of the season, and you really saw what they could do in the Miami game. They’re going to be very good on defense this year. That front seven is filthy. They look a lot like those Michigan State defenses he had that were the foundation of that program becoming elite."

Sorry Mike, but I'm going to have to side with the coaches who evaluate talent for a living and know him first hand. ;)

Pitt has been known to use that tactic. I’m guessing it was probably them because they lack anything to sell on their own

I’d love to hear from Narduzzi’s former coaches that he threw under the bus and blamed for his failures. Conklin, both OC’s, Sims, the list goes on

As for the D, 1 coach said that. The fact that he used filthy to describe them is hilarious. Check back on sept 9th. Nothing about that front 7 is filthy.

Ask North Carolina’s third string offense

Last edited:
Sigh.. just re-read the post I initially quoted where you told HailToPitt725 that his priorities were screwed up, and now you tell me that mine are. I can’t believe you are so thick as to not see yourself in the mirror, but alas, welcome to ignore. You aren’t worth the trouble.

Sigh... I see your reading comprehension has not improved, you refuse to defend your ridiculous statements, and now you want to slink away with your tail between your legs, so very predictable. Have fun with your my little ponies.

I went to Pitt for lawschool. I actually liked Shady Side/Oakland/Schenley Park areas despite what people on here say. However, it is easy to see why Pitt does not retain alums as diehard fans. The gameday atmosphere was severely lacking. I remember my buddies and I going down early for the Notre Dame game and not being allowed in the lots. It was a night game and we had to go to a North Shore bar 12:00pm b/c we weren't allowed to tailgate. Walking around Oakland on a Friday night there is virtually no buzz about the game. Its just a different vibe than at a big time program. Also, Pitt just isn't very good most years which doesn't help. I know tix are cheap but even as a fan of college football, Pitt games almost never have any energy beforehand or in the stadium that even tempt me to go down. I'd rather spend 4x the price and go to a Steeler game even though I consider myself more of a college fan. The Pitt fans that do go are just as good as PSU fans, they are just much fewer and the program/experience makes it hard to get all that into it.

Reactions: AJSH2P
Again, since Pitt’s not in the race for him, it’d be a bad bet to say we are the one he’s referring to. However, you can continue to believe what you want based on what one student athlete said.

I also don’t think I’d call moving on for a better job getting “thrown under the bus.” Chaney went to Georgia, Canada become the highest paid offensive coordinator in the country at LSU, and Conklin went on to take his first head coaching job. Good for them.

I will continue to side with an ACC head coach over your judgement. Once again, you ignore everything that doesn’t align with your thinking. You asked previously if it was “just you” that doesn't see the improvement. I believe that’s the case.

Apparently, you have missed all the interviews where Narduzzi blames each of those coaches for his teams failures. Not my fault Pat.

That’s fine. I will continue to comment on what my eyes see and that’s a team that played a 4 game stretch against the lowest rated offenses it had seen and those teams still had receivers running wide open. They just had poor qb play. Rozier and Jackson were not good last year.

Care to bet Pitt’s D finishes 40 or above this year?

I feel bad. The hot topics for pitt today

Landed a unwanted receiver
I’m glad you used your second post to respond to a random Pitt fan wandering over to the Penn State board :)

I have seen the interviews, but that isn’t the reason why they left. Also, we play for an ACC Championship in 2016 without a poor defense and Penn State makes the playoffs that same year if they don’t get curb-stomped by Michigan. They’re coulda-woulda-shouldas. What happened, happened, and we shut down the #2 team in the country. Either our defense was terrible or the other team’s offense was terrible. Make up your mind.

I’m not a betting man, but I’d say we will finish with a top 40 defense, since we have to go up against all those overrated quarterbacks ;) that, and we won’t get scorched again by OK State. Thank goodness they’re off the schedule!

Miami’s offense was terrible last year. They weren’t number two because of their offense and were proven to be a fraud at their #2 ranking

I’ll take the bet with you at top 40. You’ll will be a pleasure to watch implode this year when reality hits

What the hell is this nonsense doing in a thread made to bash the gorilla clown pitt coach? This is BS. I don't understand why you are allowed to push your stupid agenda here. It's not subjective, narduzzi is a garbage person and a terrible coach. He's a cheater and a liar.

I'm tired of reading your nonsense. You're all casual and friendly, yet you have friends inside the program. BS. You're playing games with us and I'm not falling for it. You've already totally co-opted and destroyed this thread.

If it was up to me you'd be out of here.

I think you misunderstood the quotes. It’s not some inside information, it’s from a piece that Athlon produces for each conference, each year.

Again, I have no problems talking with different college football fan bases on Rivals, except for here. Why? I mean no harm. I have no agenda. I just want to have a good discussion about football.

Also, I find it funny that you’re furious over me “hijacking” a thread meant to “bash the gorilla clown Pitt coach.” That’s definitely “not subjective,” right? ;)

No, you misunderstood my post. And I'm not furious with you, I don't get mad about trolls.

But OD, I am not a troll. I’m on the national board, I have no problems. We talk football, have a good time. Heck, there’s a few WVU fans on there and we’re friendly to each other. I go to home boards like UCF or OK State, and I have no problems. Why here? I try to be as respectful as possible. I think I’ve done a good job at that.
Most of us welcome you......and I hope most of us are civil. But, you must agree that your discourse here is more engaging and more extensive than I would get on the Lair. I was banned after 2 posts. In the fatal post I merely asked why they "now" touted SB as a great back? (This was when the Lair faithful were bragging about limiting a "great" RB in the game last year. This, after years of claiming he was over rated and afraid of running up the middle. LOL

Definitely, and I respect @Hotshoe for keeping me around this along. I just love to talk football. I'm around here a little more than usual since it's the offseason and we had a good discussion going in the Pat thread, and I'll probably come back for the week of the Pitt-Penn State game.

Yeah, the Barkley comments are definitely LOL-worthy. I think they're trigger happy because there's a troll that comes over there every now and then with a new account and creates a dozen troll threads simultaneously bashing Pitt. If he's everything he was in college, he'll be the next great NFL RB. Workhorse back + can catch the ball. His ceiling is better than Bell. Put Barkley on any other school, and they sing praises for him. The free board can be a mess at times. That's why I bought the subscription to Fifth and Forbes (much better) and spend more time on the national board.
Thankfully no Pitt posters every create multiple accounts on here and trash Penn State (sarcasm font).

You know why there are plenty of places to watch the steelers? Because they win. I've seen more steelers shit across the country then any other team. Not you, because you laid your story out.. But holy F'n bandwagon.

I think the winning has to do with it, but I think the transplants do play a factor.

But you’re right, I’ve gone to a Steelers/Chiefs game and Steelers/Blues game. There were a ton at the Chiefs game and the Blues game was almost 50/50. I never really thought of the bandwagon part, I was just astonished at how many there really are at road games. They weren’t kidding when they say that!

How did the Steelers play on skates?

You know why there are plenty of places to watch the steelers? Because they win. I've seen more steelers shit across the country then any other team. Not you, because you laid your story out.. But holy F'n bandwagon.
Gnat you're in Jax so you see it all the time.

There's something in the water out here. People may relocate from Pittsburgh or Western Penna. but they never, never leave. I'm one of them now, I'm originally from the opposite side of the state. Sure there's plenty of bandwagon, but a lot of people - a lot - had to leave when the steel industry collapsed in the '80's. Most went to the Sun Belt, so now you have the diaspora.

As for @HailToPitt725 you've been fine and I'm (at least) glad you dropped in. Unfortunately we've only had a few Pitt rooters who add anything positive. Myself, I stay off the Lair (or as many here refer to it, the Liar). What people say on their own board is up to them - it's THEIR board. I know I'm probably not going to like it, so it's my own fault if I get upset.

Definitely, and I respect @Hotshoe for keeping me around this along. I just love to talk football. I'm around here a little more than usual since it's the offseason and we had a good discussion going in the Pat thread, and I'll probably come back for the week of the Pitt-Penn State game.

Yeah, the Barkley comments are definitely LOL-worthy. I think they're trigger happy because there's a troll that comes over there every now and then with a new account and creates a dozen troll threads simultaneously bashing Pitt. If he's everything he was in college, he'll be the next great NFL RB. Workhorse back + can catch the ball. His ceiling is better than Bell. Put Barkley on any other school, and they sing praises for him. The free board can be a mess at times. That's why I bought the subscription to Fifth and Forbes (much better) and spend more time on the national board.
Of course as a PSU fan, I'm a big SB fan as well. To add to that, growing up just out side of Shamokin, we got WPIX 11 and they had all the Yankee and Giant games at that time. Dave Gettleman (current Giant GM) and I worked as HS coaches up here in the Hudson Valley of NY in the 80s and worked camps and clinics together. I'm really pumped for the Giants. I believe barring injury Barkley will be the most complete NYG running back since Frank Gifford. I can tell you that Dave, who is not given to superlatives, is giddy about Barkley.

I think it is just you. Almost every Pitt Football preview I’ve read mentions an improved defense, featuring a LB’s core that’s near the top of the ACC. Not only have we improved at every position, making up for some of the losses to graduation, but we have some great posters on the Pitt pay board that broke down how the defense changed after the UNC game. Beginning with the next game and on, they changed the alignment of the defense that made it easier to guard the spread while making it easier to get pressure on the QB.

I won’t elaborate too much on it, but it was a different alignment from the rest of the season and was very noticeable. It was a very good presentation with some informative graphics and charts, all created by PantherLair posters. I had no idea of the change until I read it. It looked like something off a sports website made by people who do that stuff for a living. Very impressive.

@HailToPitt725 care to come back and elaborate on how good the Pitt’s defense has been HailtoPitt. Don’t you wish it was still July and August aka Pantherlair silly season?

Reactions: m48tank and TheGLOV
Hail to Pitt sounds Germanic doesn’t it? They need branding work and...85 football players.

Go Heels!!! Who suck but they’re not Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT