ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde on Franklin answering the doubters

There’s a difference between missing calls and absolutely blowing calls. Yes, missed calls happen in every game. Absolutely blown calls don’t happen very often.

I disagree. Blown calls happen pretty much every game. But either they balance themselves out or the game isn't close enough for them to matter (see Texas vs USC).

One of the things that always bugs me (and there are a few with regard to how Franklin is viewed) is with regards to Moorhead. Why doesn't CJF get a ton of credit for discovering this guy and giving him a chance? It isn't like CJF just threw a ton of money at the highest profile offensive mind in the country... Moorhead was anything but an obvious choice. CJF identified something special in Moorhead and his system, and had enough confidence in himself to make what was, at the time, a pretty controversial or risky hire. He should get a ton of credit for that.
+1000 Damn right. NOBODY heard or cared about Morehead until he came to PSU. Morehead was/is great but somebody hired him and made him hot.

The only knock I can see on Franklin is that he or his coaches haven't figured how to close out games against better competition. That 24-3 could be 27-0. I don't think Joe would've lost games when up 18 points in the second half. When we lost under Joe it rarely felt like we were robbed or gave it away. The other team just beat us. Franklin's last 3 losses were not like that. They were all winnable with the right calls. In fairness there were some great players on the other side - Darnold played lights out and JT Barrett looked like Joe Montana in the 4th quarter last year. But in both of those games there were questionable play calls at critical times that cost us. He's a pretty self-aware guy, so I'm sure he'll get that fixed. Also in fairness, we probably wouldn't have scored enough points under Joe to be in position to win those games. We used to make scoring against top teams like Ohio State look like the hardest thing in the world.
I disagree with this bigtime. I think the losses looked EXACTLY like JoePa losses. Try to run out the clock w the running game, fail because everyone knew what was coming, hang it all on the defense, and get beat. Joe was almost always conservative with a lead. And twice when he wasn't (82 Sugar Bowl passing for a crucial first down, and '95 Michigan fake FG) it worked.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Yea, it's ugly little thing called "jealousy"...or as the saying goes: "he's green with envy.". You can see it on this board on a daily basis as he suffers from the same malady as all the fraud PSU posing-troll fans on this board and their incessant anti-reality, anti-factual ad hominem attacks on CJF. LMFAO!

Perhaps my standard is different than yours for what constitutes an "attack on CJF" from among anti-factual "PSU posing-troll fans," but I don't see much of that here. I read some debate on strength/weakness aspects of team performance, but don't see any of it as an "attack," much less an attack on CJF.

For the record, go back and read posts during the coaching search. You'll find that not only was Franklin the top pick of mine and others, but I said he was probably the only one likely to quickly turn things around. He drew some fear within the SEC, at Vanderbilt no less.

Whereas some aspects of his early game-day decisions were questionable, that could be expected from any young head coach. I think he is learning and has improved dramatically in this area.

I disagree. Blown calls happen pretty much every game. But either they balance themselves out or the game isn't close enough for them to matter (see Texas vs USC).

How many times in those 12 games was PSU the favorite?

When I’m talking blown calls, I’m talking ones where the only explanation is deliberate cheating or outright favoritism. I haven’t seen many of those. Missing a hold or a pass interference is one thing, calling a dropped ball an interception, then saying the replay wasn’t working, is a whole different level.

When I’m talking blown calls, I’m talking ones where the only explanation is deliberate cheating or outright favoritism. I haven’t seen many of those. Missing a hold or a pass interference is one thing, calling a dropped ball an interception, then saying the replay wasn’t working, is a whole different level.

Still one of my "favorites" (so to speak) is O'Neill's call of unsportsmanlike conduct against McGloin for (quoting O'Neill now) "... spiking the ball in anger." With that call, following his admonishment to a constantly held Devon Still ("be quiet, you're lucky to even be playing" ), O'Neill placed himself in the Officiating Hall of Shame.

Remember the retired Big Ten ref who admitted in an interview that both Woody and Bo had veto power of the refs who called their game? Meanwhile, Penn State gets the guy who openly admits despising them.

Franklin hasn't won any bad weather games? Been fortunate with questionable ref calls? Every team has to play in crap weather from time to time. And every team has to deal with bad calls by the refs.
Fvck you tool!!! Crap weather is one thing...…..having to spend 4-5 hours in a crap locker room eating cold pizza while your opponent has the benefit of a home stadium and all of it's amenities is something completely different. And bad calls by the refs is one thing, but "out and out" cheating and helping a head coach by calling a TO on their behalf is something ALSO completely different!! Go suck some nuts and rodent balls!!!!

All very true. So is 3-9 in his last 12 vs his top division foes. Maybe on Sunday he will have climbed to 4-9.

Talk about cherry picking. The point is that since he's actually had the horses to compete (i.e. once we emerged from the ravages of unfair sanctions), Franklin has been as good as any coach out there.

If you want a fair comparison, we can point out that Franklin is 3-3 against those teams since the start of 2016. 2014-15 were pretty much lost years and had nothing to do with Franklin's (or his staff's) ability to coach. Just being over .500 those years was a big accomplishment.

I believe that people who view him poorly generally do so because he looks different than they do.

To be fair... I do think that a big element of Franklin being called "overrated" is people - whether consciously or subconsciously - holding out mediocre records in 2014-15 against him. At the time, there was definitely a sense that a great coach "should" do more with that, even the idea that O'Brien did better under the "same" circumstances. Of course, that's bullcrap, since O'Brien did not suffer the worse of the sanction. O'Brien still had a solid core and a decent sized roster to work with. The way the sanctions played out, the worse years were always to come when the impact on smaller recruiting classes and weaker-due-the-black-cloud quality of players worked their way through. 2015 was probably the nadir of our talent level and depth so it's no surprise that we were kinda luck just to get to 7-6. I'd argue that not having losing seasons was very impressive, but the media ignores that due to just a simplistic take on W-L.

My point being that Franklin suffered a bit in terms of his "first impressions" as a PSU coach in 2014-15 and I think that that perception has lingered going forward. Such that people (like in the media or even fellow coaches) are hesitant to buy into the 2016+ success as being "real". But it doesn't matter, another year or two, especially if we make the CFP one of the years, will finally break people of that tune.

Reactions: psugisher
To be fair... I do think that a big element of Franklin being called "overrated" is people - whether consciously or subconsciously - holding out mediocre records in 2014-15 against him. At the time, there was definitely a sense that a great coach "should" do more with that, even the idea that O'Brien did better under the "same" circumstances. Of course, that's bullcrap, since O'Brien did not suffer the worse of the sanction. O'Brien still had a solid core and a decent sized roster to work with. The way the sanctions played out, the worse years were always to come when the impact on smaller recruiting classes and weaker-due-the-black-cloud quality of players worked their way through. 2015 was probably the nadir of our talent level and depth so it's no surprise that we were kinda luck just to get to 7-6. I'd argue that not having losing seasons was very impressive, but the media ignores that due to just a simplistic take on W-L.

My point being that Franklin suffered a bit in terms of his "first impressions" as a PSU coach in 2014-15 and I think that that perception has lingered going forward. Such that people (like in the media or even fellow coaches) are hesitant to buy into the 2016+ success as being "real". But it doesn't matter, another year or two, especially if we make the CFP one of the years, will finally break people of that tune.
But imagine if he would have had this kind of success at a school like Florida or LSU....he’d be talked about the same as Meyer and Saban.

But imagine if he would have had this kind of success at a school like Florida or LSU....he’d be talked about the same as Meyer and Saban.
The only legitimate question about Franklin's work at Penn State is whether to give him an A or an A+
He can help his case this weekend ;)

Reactions: PSU&Trout

Ummmm, no....everyone except the anti-PSU posing-troll fraud PSU fans on here was well aware that FLO intentionally decimated the program, left the cupboard absolutely bare and recruiting in an utter shambles when he slunk out of town in the dead of night backstabbing the program in orchestration with asshole PSU-hater Douchebag Davey Jones. Laughable to claim that expectations were high given the "hot mess" CJF inherited from FLO (including several of PSU's best players leaving with eligibility remaining from a 7-6 underperforming FLO team that lost multiple games in 2013 that they had no business losing). All of the pundits were projecting a losing record for multiple years when CJF took the job which not only didn't happen, but CJF has not had a losing record and has gone bowling every year he's been at PSU. Winning the B1G East Division (beating #2 duhO$U to do it) and the Conference Championship in only his 3rd year shocked the CFB world contrary to your laughable "rrvisionist" claims.

Last edited:
Ummmm, no....everyone except the anti-PSU posing-troll fraud PSU fans on here was well aware that FLO intentionally decimated the program, left the cupboard absolutely bare and recruiting in an utter shambles when he slunk out of town in the dead of night backstabbing the program in orchestration with asshole PSU-hater Douchebag Davey Jones. Laughable to claim that expectations were high given the "hot mess" CJF inherited from FLO (including several of PSU's best players leaving with eligibility remaining from a 7-6 underperforming FLO team that lost multiple games in 2013 that they had no business losing). All of the pundits were projecting a losing record for multiple years when CJF took the job which not only didn't happen, but CJF has not had a losing record and has gone bowling every year he's been at PSU. Winning the B1G East Division (beating #2 duhO$U to do it) and the Conference Championship in only his 3rd year shocked the CFB world contrary to your laighable "rrvisionist" claims.
Insightful

Reactions: marshall23
So my neighbor's a big Pitt fan, and doesn't like Franklin at all. Like all people, he says he is overrated. At a gathering a few weeks ago I asked him what Franklin had to do to no longer be "overrated". His won/loss record is up there with Meyer and Saban. His recruiting is off the charts. He's won a Big Ten championship and been in two big bowl games over the last two years, winning one of them. So again I asked him, what does he need to do to no longer be "overrated"?

Silence. He had no answer. He still thinks he is "overrated".
Your neighbor and his fellow Pitters say outloud "overrated", then whisper in their prayers "Lord, can we please have James Franklin". The Lord then sits in heaven and laughs until he cries. That's why it has been so wet this entire year.

Reactions: 81b&w
I know it's early, but Rahne has been an improvement. JoeMo really was stubborn with the running game. How many slow mesh point plays were blown up for big losses during his tenure? How many times did I see linemen pulling into holes and not blocking anyone? The running game has really improved, and it's not just from the offensive line getting physically better.

I couldn't agree more. And while I can understand what Howie said regarding the better OL, I think if you take 3 of the top 4 offensive weapons (Hamilton, Gesicki, Barkley) and have a statistically BETTER offense???? that was either a problem with Moorhead or a VAST improvement for Rahne (or both). I mean shit, WE HAVE A SHORT GAME! Sure, it's only 4 games, but things are looking UP!

Reactions: Judge Smails
do you know what the NFL is? do you know what a punt is? do you know what vs means? break it down, you'll figure it maybe, but I am not sure.

Yet another complete fail..too funny.. Do you know what moron means? Clearly you don't due to internal shortcomings, so I'm quite sure you won't figure it out, but that won't stop you from continuing to prove it with every post.

Yet another complete fail..too funny.. Do you know what moron means? Clearly you don't due to internal shortcomings, so I'm quite sure you won't figure it out, but that won't stop you from continuing to prove it with every post.
so you dont know what the NFL is or a punt or what VS means, got it.
I cant wait for your insight during the game thread.

so you dont know what the NFL is or a punt or what VS means, got it.
I cant wait for your insight during the game thread.

You're like watching a fish out of water desperately flopping around on land, but going absolutely nowhere. LMFAO!

You definitely don't know the meaning of moron, but we already knew that, didn't we?

You're like watching a fish out of water desperately flopping around on land, but going absolutely nowhere. LMFAO!

You definitely don't know the meaning of moron, but we already knew that, didn't we?
ok Buschwood you win, I will just be waiting for your get insight during the game tomorrow!! We all hope for a win!

Victoria’s Secret?
as far as I concerned that is close enough for a flag!! But I will pick it up for you!
iu

Reactions: JJTopp99 and MJG-90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT