ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde on Franklin answering the doubters

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://sports.yahoo.com/no-saquon-...ohio-state-despite-star-exodus-030404100.html

9531610-james-franklin-ncaa-football-penn-state-pittsburgh.jpg

Since that 2-2 start to year three, Franklin’s record is 24-3. Over the past 27 games, that is just one game worse than Nick Saban (25-2) and the same as Dabo Swinney. In comparison to Big Ten East coaches who are routinely coated in greater hype, Franklin’s record is one game better than Urban Meyer (23-4) and six games better than Jim Harbaugh (18-9).

That was the latest suspicion from the critics: wait until Franklin doesn’t have a top-three NFL draft pick running and catching the ball, and wait until he doesn’t have star offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead dialing up the plays. Then we’ll see what kind of coach he is.

Here’s your early returns on that: Penn State leads the nation in scoring at 55.5 points per game. Penn State is 10th in the nation in rushing offense at 275 yards per game. Penn State is 15th in the nation in yards per play at 7.25. Penn State has scored more than 50 points in three straight games for the first time in school history. Penn State became just the fourth Big Ten team in the last 100 years to score more than 60 in consecutive games.

Miles Sanders, Barkley’s replacement, ran for 200 yards on the nose against Illinois and is seventh nationally in rushing yards per game. And Ricky Rahne, Moorhead’s replacement, certainly doesn’t seem to be struggling with play calling and game planning.

“The biggest thing is that the standard is the standard,” said senior quarterback Trace McSorley. “It doesn’t matter who’s in the game, doesn’t matter who’s calling plays, the standard is the standard. The expectations are the same.

“You talk about great programs, that’s what they do. They’re able to reload and keep going.”

When McSorley is done at Penn State, that will be the next hill for James Franklin doubters to defend — what will he do without his three-year starting quarterback? The answer is probably what he’s done every time a star player or top assistant coach has left.

Keep winning.

So my neighbor's a big Pitt fan, and doesn't like Franklin at all. Like all people, he says he is overrated. At a gathering a few weeks ago I asked him what Franklin had to do to no longer be "overrated". His won/loss record is up there with Meyer and Saban. His recruiting is off the charts. He's won a Big Ten championship and been in two big bowl games over the last two years, winning one of them. So again I asked him, what does he need to do to no longer be "overrated"?

Silence. He had no answer. He still thinks he is "overrated".

One of the things that always bugs me (and there are a few with regard to how Franklin is viewed) is with regards to Moorhead. Why doesn't CJF get a ton of credit for discovering this guy and giving him a chance? It isn't like CJF just threw a ton of money at the highest profile offensive mind in the country... Moorhead was anything but an obvious choice. CJF identified something special in Moorhead and his system, and had enough confidence in himself to make what was, at the time, a pretty controversial or risky hire. He should get a ton of credit for that.

Best of all? He is carrying on the grand experiment. He oversees a program that focuses on all the phases of great character needed to graduate young men who will succeed in life. As a 55 year student and alumna, I could not be more pleased. He is the perfect coach for Penn State football.

One of the things that always bugs me (and there are a few with regard to how Franklin is viewed) is with regards to Moorhead. Why doesn't CJF get a ton of credit for discovering this guy and giving him a chance? It isn't like CJF just threw a ton of money at the highest profile offensive mind in the country... Moorhead was anything but an obvious choice. CJF identified something special in Moorhead and his system, and had enough confidence in himself to make what was, at the time, a pretty controversial or risky hire. He should get a ton of credit for that.

I believe that people who view him poorly generally do so because he looks different than they do.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-saquon-...ohio-state-despite-star-exodus-030404100.html

Since that 2-2 start to year three, Franklin’s record is 24-3. Over the past 27 games, that is just one game worse than Nick Saban (25-2) and the same as Dabo Swinney. In comparison to Big Ten East coaches who are routinely coated in greater hype, Franklin’s record is one game better than Urban Meyer (23-4) and six games better than Jim Harbaugh (18-9).

That was the latest suspicion from the critics: wait until Franklin doesn’t have a top-three NFL draft pick running and catching the ball, and wait until he doesn’t have star offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead dialing up the plays. Then we’ll see what kind of coach he is.

Here’s your early returns on that: Penn State leads the nation in scoring at 55.5 points per game. Penn State is 10th in the nation in rushing offense at 275 yards per game. Penn State is 15th in the nation in yards per play at 7.25. Penn State has scored more than 50 points in three straight games for the first time in school history. Penn State became just the fourth Big Ten team in the last 100 years to score more than 60 in consecutive games.

Miles Sanders, Barkley’s replacement, ran for 200 yards on the nose against Illinois and is seventh nationally in rushing yards per game. And Ricky Rahne, Moorhead’s replacement, certainly doesn’t seem to be struggling with play calling and game planning.

“The biggest thing is that the standard is the standard,” said senior quarterback Trace McSorley. “It doesn’t matter who’s in the game, doesn’t matter who’s calling plays, the standard is the standard. The expectations are the same.

“You talk about great programs, that’s what they do. They’re able to reload and keep going.”

When McSorley is done at Penn State, that will be the next hill for James Franklin doubters to defend — what will he do without his three-year starting quarterback? The answer is probably what he’s done every time a star player or top assistant coach has left.

Keep winning.
Franklin's record is better than Meyer’s over that timeframe and with significantly lower average recruiting class ranking for players in those games. Franklin is now recruiting at top 5 level. Let that sink in.

Meyer could barely hang with Franklin with a huge talent gap but that gap will be gone soon. What will the results be when Franklin has taken over the recruiting edge as well? Anyone hungry for pizza?

It’s basic human nature. Someone that is successful is going to be greeted by jealousy. And with jealousy turns into hatred. The coaching community respects and fears him. Fan bases that dislike PSU. In return bad mouth James. That’s when you truly know you have a special coach. If you didn’t think the coaching circle. Didn’t already know that when PSU hired James. He was going to be a major problem for other programs. Your just kidding yourself. Haters are going to hate. It is what it is. I personally don’t waste my energy. We are very fortunate and blessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

Keep winning.
This article sees the narrative next year...”They won’t be good because they’re losing McSorley”. We could finish undefeated, win the NC this year, and next year be ranked 10th or 11th in the opening poll because we lost Trace.

So my neighbor's a big Pitt fan, and doesn't like Franklin at all. Like all people, he says he is overrated. At a gathering a few weeks ago I asked him what Franklin had to do to no longer be "overrated". His won/loss record is up there with Meyer and Saban. His recruiting is off the charts. He's won a Big Ten championship and been in two big bowl games over the last two years, winning one of them. So again I asked him, what does he need to do to no longer be "overrated"?

I had a Miami fan say that about Trace. I said is it because he is so big, fast, and his cannon arm....he looked at me like WTF are you talking about. I said he has none of those attributes, but just goes out there and wins every single week so where is he "overrated". Drop dead silence.....it was funny to me.

Reactions: Option Bob
This article sees the narrative next year...”They won’t be good because they’re losing McSorley”. We could finish undefeated, win the NC this year, and next year be ranked 10th or 11th in the opening poll because we lost Trace.

Meanwhile, Sean Clifford has the highest quarterback rating in the history of the universe.

Yea, it's ugly little thing called "jealousy"...or as the saying goes: "he's green with envy.". You can see it on this board on a daily basis as he suffers from the same malady as all the fraud PSU posing-troll fans on this board and their incessant anti-reality, anti-factual ad hominem attacks on CJF. LMFAO!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

His CEO qualities are off the charts. Hiring the right guys, marketing the program, recruiting.. he's nailing everything. Believing in Trace as a qb was obviously huge. His two years with full scholarships are 11-3 with a conference championship and 11-2 with a Fiesta Bowl win. 3rd year with full scholarships 4-0 sitting in the top ten. The recruiting machine is in place. The excitement for Saturday seems to be at an all time high. It's pretty incredible. I doubted him in his first two years and still question some of his in game decisions, but he's the freaking man and deserves a lot more credit than he's gotten. I think he's massively underrated.

Reactions: odshowtime
I doubted him in his first two years

I can't give you a pass for this. Anyone who understood how the sanctions effected this roster would have understood the results of Franklin's first two years. You had all of the players who transferred, and then Franklin's upperclassmen were what remained of two recruiting classes that averaged #50 in the country. He was also recruiting when he started with a bowl ban, and was playing with like 60 or less scholarship players. Not to mention the horrific shape the offensive line was left in (7 scholarship offensive linemen).

Even if you couldn't grasp all of THAT, all you had to do was see how he was recruiting to know that he just needed time for all these blue chippers he was bringing in to mature.

It still bothers me how shortsighted some Penn State fans were. I expect that from opposing fanbases, from national writers. They flipped from "Penn State will be down for decades" to "Why aren't they winning double digit games?" without a thought in their heads how stupid that is.

What really irks the haters is they finally thought they had the goods to bury PSU for good when the sanctions hit. Thought PSU would take a dozen years if ever to return to the top. PSU ends up never having a losing season and Franklin returns them to the top in a few years. The haters see the results and recruiting efforts and realize PSU is here to stay and with JF running the ship they will be making numerous runs at national titles. The haters will look to hang on any last hail Mary hoping PSU crashes and burns but in fact JF has got PSU to the point of reloading every year not rebuilding

Nailed it. Franklin got slammed by MANY people on this board and elsewhere for that hire. It was anything but a slam dunk hire at the time. But like he tends to do on most things, Franklin got it right and should be getting credit for it instead of the "let's see what he does without Moorhead" narrative.

I can't give you a pass for this. Anyone who understood how the sanctions effected this roster would have understood the results of Franklin's first two years. You had all of the players who transferred, and then Franklin's upperclassmen were what remained of two recruiting classes that averaged #50 in the country. He was also recruiting when he started with a bowl ban, and was playing with like 60 or less scholarship players. Not to mention the horrific shape the offensive line was left in (7 scholarship offensive linemen).

Even if you couldn't grasp all of THAT, all you had to do was see how he was recruiting to know that he just needed time for all these blue chippers he was bringing in to mature.

It still bothers me how shortsighted some Penn State fans were. I expect that from opposing fanbases, from national writers. They flipped from "Penn State will be down for decades" to "Why aren't they winning double digit games?" without a thought in their heads how stupid that is.
I listen to a lot of talk radio and when talking about the new coaches that are starting off this year badly, they all say you have to be patient....there will be some losing seasons. And there are a lot of these coaches that are doing poorly early. None of these coaches are facing what Franklin did, yet he never had a losing season. That’s why Franklin is not overrated, he’s underrated. Looking at the new coaches this year shows just how amazing Franklin is.

Nailed it. Franklin got slammed by MANY people on this board and elsewhere for that hire. It was anything but a slam dunk hire at the time. But like he tends to do on most things, Franklin got it right and should be getting credit for it instead of the "let's see what he does without Moorhead" narrative.
We all remember Gunsy just blasting Franklin for that hire. He was over the top upset saying PSU cannot compete with that guy as the OC.

It is jealously pure and simple and actually stupid by many fan bases - I'm looking at you Pitt, who constantly say he is overrated or a used car salesman after they just their asses kicked in by him - that just makes you sound like a moron. Many wanted us to never recover and can't stand that we are squarely back on the National Stage and their programs forever circle the toilet bowl - I love it.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Anyone complaining about CJF today needs to have their head examined. Oh, one can nitpick but overall it is hard to name a coach I'd rather have over CJF.

If we beat tOSU Saturday, one would think the media would have to sit up and take notice. The record you point out is awesome. We need to get away from the notion that winning the B1G was a fluke and that we can consistently compete with tOSU on a year in and out basis. Fact is, we are 3-7 against them in the last ten years. 1-6 under BOB and CJF. 1-3 under CJF (IIRC). The job of getting out from under tOSU's shadow starts Saturday. For the first time, we are not handicapped by the sanctions (which included weak recruiting classes and a lack of depth/ST until this year).

Not only Moorhead, (and I know it's still early) but what about Rahne? He's the second OC in a row that appears to be a "hidden gem" so to speak. Could have gone out and gotten someone after Moorhead left, but he promoted from within and the O is clicking BETTER than with Moorhead so far.

His offense won’t work against D-1 defenses! He can only be successful in the Patriot League.
He had the vision to bring in Moorhead to implement the RPO. I've watched NFL games this year in which teams run some RPO. Even last year the RPO was credited for sparking the Eagles' Super Bowl run. But yeah, Franklin is a Patriot Leaguer. :eek:

You're right. I was way wrong. it's easy to be emotional while watching every week which is what makes me a fan. You can't say you knew how he was going to manage the coaching staff though. The moves after year two had a huge impact. He definitely managed the roster the first two years with redshirting players set up the run going on now. He's addressed all the team shortcomings in recruiting in a very short period of time and made all the right moves with respect to his staff. It's incredibly impressive.

Not only Moorhead, (and I know it's still early) but what about Rahne? He's the second OC in a row that appears to be a "hidden gem" so to speak. Could have gone out and gotten someone after Moorhead left, but he promoted from within and the O is clicking BETTER than with Moorhead so far.
In fairness, Rahne's working with a better o-line, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT