ADVERTISEMENT

Parents...how is school going

Cletus11

Aug 8, 2003
My kids are hybrid, basically they split the school in half and one group goes M-W-F, T-Th and then is virtual the opposite day while the other group is in school. School day ends at 12:45 so they don't have to feed kids as cannot be in cafeteria in large group. Generally seems to be going about as good as can be expected. Some technical issues with the Zoom video/audio the first week but most of them have appeared to be solved with experience. So way better than last spring, but I would say that kids are probably getting about 50% of a normal education.

From a Covid standpoint, first teacher tested positive last week. Starting to see more positives with kids. Was convinced when the teacher tested positive they would go all virtue but they are not.

Just on Wednesday a bunch of football players tested positive, including the starting QB so game cancelled tonight, all the players are supposed to get tested and stay in quarantine, sort of a mess.

My wife works as a teacher’s aid helping High school kids with algebra, geometry, pre-calculus, and statistics. She gets paid very little but makes a huge difference in the kids’ lives and loves what she does. She has adapted to remote learning and continues to work with kids struggling in these subjects in Zoom sessions.

Our school district is caving to pressure from parents and is going back to in-school classes and she has been told she must resign her position if she refuses to be on site 5 days a week. We have family members who are high risk and she fears bringing the virus home. Sadly, she will be resigning her position in 2 weeks.

• Sad
Reactions: bytir
My kids are hybrid, basically they split the school in half and one group goes M-W-F, T-Th and then is virtual the opposite day while the other group is in school. School day ends at 12:45 so they don't have to feed kids as cannot be in cafeteria in large group. Generally seems to be going about as good as can be expected. Some technical issues with the Zoom video/audio the first week but most of them have appeared to be solved with experience. So way better than last spring, but I would say that kids are probably getting about 50% of a normal education.

From a Covid standpoint, first teacher tested positive last week. Starting to see more positives with kids. Was convinced when the teacher tested positive they would go all virtue but they are not.

Just on Wednesday a bunch of football players tested positive, including the starting QB so game cancelled tonight, all the players are supposed to get tested and stay in quarantine, sort of a mess.
My daughter is going full time to a private school. One kid turned up positive on Tuesday. Other than that, nothing. They are using contact tracing:
  • each desk/device/facility has a QR code taped to it.
  • the kid hits it with snapchat and it uses a URL to open an HTML page
  • the kid validates the desk/device/facility
  • desk/device/facility is cleaned after x number of hits
  • Kids wear masks full time
Using the contact tracing, they sent emails to each parent that had a kid that "contacted" the infected kid. We weren't contacted. So far, so good.....

Our children are back 5 days a week full time. Very few COVID cases and things are going about as normal as could be expected under this pandemic condition. We were given 3 options to choose from; in person learning, remote learning, or an independant cyber accademy. We chose in person because we felt that the kids needed the structure and also the social interaction and development. They were out of school and activites for nearly a half year! Not good.

5-day in-person classes for all grades, kids 10 and under don't have to wear masks. No issues after 6 weeks. The biggest change is just limiting the number of outsiders into the school (volunteer, parents w/o an appointment, etc) and staff wearing masks except for when teaching in the classroom from an approved buffer zone area of the room.

My daughter is in 10th grade here in Howard County, MD. She has 4 classes per day, 9:10, 10:10, 1:10 and 2:10. That is M, T, R and F. Wednesday is their asynchronous day where they work on assignments. She hates it. My son is in 6th grade and we enrolled him in catholic school for several reasons. One reason was so he could actually go to school and the other was that we are not happy with the education being provided in Howard County. My kids are 4 years apart and what my daughter learned in elementary school is light years ahead of what my son was learning/doing. My son is loving school, he said there are no class interruptions like their were in public school. Howard County once had a good school system, but they are just getting by on reputation now. If we were looking for a house, we would not look in Howard.

In Carroll County, Maryland. They started in virtual, then they were planning on opening Oct. 19th in a hybrid format. About 300 or so teachers submitted retirement, leave, or resignation papers.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/09/29/carroll-county-public-schools-teacher-shortage/
This seems like a great opportunity for some young Education grads to land their first full-time position. I'm going to inform a few that I know who have been stuck substituting for their first teaching position.

My daughter started half days everyday yesterday. Its about frigging time.

there are no class interruptions like their were in public school. Howard County once had a good school system, but they are just getting by on reputation now. If we were looking for a house, we would not look in Howard.
There it is...the parents of the Catholic school students make sure their students are not disrupting class. As always, the quality of the education is directly related to the parental involvement.

I always laugh when people talk about good schools vs bad schools. It's about the parents.

Mine is starting hybrid on 10/5 - she is a Freshman in High School - She is in A Group so Monday and Tuesday with all off Wednesday and B's on Thurs/Fri - they will have lunches in the Cafeteria which surprised me because here in West Chester, PA they have been very conservative about COVID. They will wear masks in School. Other freshman college daughter is home since her college is virtual at least until January - really sucky year for her as a High School Senior then college freshman all screwed up with COVID.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Awesome !! Down here in Atlanta area. My kids started formal Cross Country practices in early August (earlier in Summer it was in-formal practices & voluntary). Then school started in mid August. Besides school, they've also had 4 Cross Country Meets and their 5th Meet is this Saturday ......... Amazingly, none of these teenagers is dropping over dead from this dreaded virus.

In Carroll County, Maryland. They started in virtual, then they were planning on opening Oct. 19th in a hybrid format. About 300 or so teachers submitted retirement, leave, or resignation papers.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/09/29/carroll-county-public-schools-teacher-shortage/

The Tuesday before labor day (school started after Labor Day) the teachers union sent out an open letter saying they wanted all virtual for safety. This was the day before the Wednesday night school board meeting where the final decision on hybrid vs. virtual was going to be decided. The letter backfired as it just looked like the teachers were really out of touch with what all the parents are going through that have private sector jobs and just looked like a complaint. The letter gave zero options of how to make it better or how to help the kids, etc..just complained about why they should not be made to go back. I read it and it was really unprofessional.

Anyway, the vote went unanimous hybrid model and the next day about 15 teachers put in for FMLA. Also a lot of call outs by teachers in the first month to the point where their literally is no substitutes left and when a teacher calls out, they have to double up.

Another very interesting thing happened at the elementary school level. They are also hybrid but the teachers are either virtual only or in school only. And all the virtual only teachers are the teachers that everybody knows are the best teachers. So basically what happened is the district put all the best teachers virtual as a way to make sure that if parents were listening and watching the virtual class, they saw teachers actually doing something. Thought that was pretty interesting.

And yes, so far with all the positives, nobody has even been to the hospital yet. Basically every student that has contracted it has been asymptomatic or a light flu like sympton.

My wife works for the largest public school system here in Georgia, and both of my daughters (one a Senior, the other in 5th grade) are back in school. No major issues here. At my wife's school there have been a few here and there that have had to quarantine, but overall, no major outbreaks. Pretty pleased with how our school system is handling things. Overall, outside of the Paulding County School District (which was highly publicized) at the beginning of the school year, Georgia seems to be doing rather well despite being a "hotspot" state.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Must be nice to see your kids going back at least in a hybrid scenario. Our Governor in Maryland wanted all the counties to look at going back after the 1st quarter. Here in Howard County they had voted to be virtual for the 1st semester or first 2 quarters. One of the board members put forth a motion during the last board meeting to start looking at it and it was voted down 7 to 1. Glad we were able to get the 6th grader our of public school.

This seems like a great opportunity for some young Education grads to land their first full-time position. I'm going to inform a few that I know who have been stuck substituting for their first teaching position.

Agree 100%. I'm tired of hearing the same old line treacher like to use when they are pushing of pay increases above what the rest of America is getting. The old "who do you want teaching your childern" nonsense. We need to get new younger blood into the school system. Teacher who can grasp technology and not have to be retrained every time a new version of software or operating system ends up on their computer. Teachers who have been taught the latest in education techniques, and teachers who are cheaper than the dinosaurs who keep holding on. Who do you a child is going to relate too better. Some crusty old hag or some 20 something??? Based on my three boys when they were in elementary and HS, they all loved the younger teachers.

There it is...the parents of the Catholic school students make sure their students are not disrupting class. As always, the quality of the education is directly related to the parental involvement.

I always laugh when people talk about good schools vs bad schools. It's about the parents.

artworks-000017289777-n5qjf4-t500x500.jpg

Reactions: dailybuck777
Daughter is in private school in VA; they went back this week (1st grade; two days a week in person). All kids and staff were COVID tested prior to return to campus - only one positive out of about 1,125 tests. So far, so good (knocking the f*ck out of the wood). Has been a tremendous relief for the wife and I though my daughter has been doing pretty well with the virtual learning too (she loves interacting with technology/iPad). The school is big enough to allow for plenty of space for the kids (she only has six or seven in her 'cohort' when on campus) and they've invested in cameras, tents, new ventilation systems, etc. to allow for social distancing while on campus. I know the school would like to move to the next phase of on campus learning which would be all kids on campus with social distancing efforts in place; and if things go well I expect that could happen after Christmas. We'll see.

Big thanks to all folks (teachers/aids, etc.) working at schools and helping kids; really tremendous act of selfless service that does not go unnoticed. Go well!

My youngest daughter is in school full time and having no issues. Second youngest is in high school and going hybrid at least until Christmas after have 3 or 4 weeks just online. They are both handling their situations well. My oldest two are in college. One is on a campus that is pretty free, the other is very strict with the tracking (which included my daughter being placed in a hotel for 2 weeks to quarantine).

Im sorry to hear about your son's public school experience. It's funny how each kid is so unique when it comes to learning environment. My wife and I loved my kids public school education k-12 and university. Sometimes you have to fight like the devil to get them tracked appropriately. We fought and fought and fought and thankfully it paid off in spades. Our experience was that a lot of the miss-tracking of kids is not because they kid can't handle the work, its because of seating space.
If they get into the GT/AP track, it's like a small school inside a big school. The kids are brilliant, competitive and they drive each other forward.

When were your kids in K-12? I think it used to be that way. My son was in as much GT that the elementary school had and my daughter in high school is as well. Unfortunately there are still kids that are in those classes that should not be in them either due to behavioral issues or an intelligence issue. They are there to fill quotas of a certain background and it is a disservice to them and the rest of the kids in the class. It is the new way of making sure there is equity in the schools. There are some school districts that are trying to do away with the GT level classes because it is not equitable.

Two in a small (Roman Catholic) parochial school, about 350 students total pre-k through 8th grade. Started August 24 full time five days per week. No cases through six weeks. Two in diocesan high school, about 900 students. Full-time, five days per week. Two confirmed cases. One on day two. Next was 10 days later. Both students went virtual for 14 days and returned. No spread from what we can tell. Again, started August 24. So far, so good...<knocks on wood>.

Frederick County, MD... all virtual... and it sucks. My wife and I work FT from home, but we cannot supervise the kids to ensure they are in class. My daughter loves school, so she pretty much knows when to be on and makes it so... my son thinks this is party time and goofs off most of the day. My daughter does go to school in person M, T, R, F in the morning so that helps.

Our County has no plans to return to full in person learning. They did release a 212 page 'plan' but that is a joke.

• Sad
Not a parent - but the kids in my area of central Missouri have been going full time in class since mid August. They will play their 5th/6th week of football tonight. Haven’t heard of any problems.

All remote here till January. Kids started in early August and are in the routine now after an adjustment period. I've been impressed with the teachers' attention to detail. We've noticed our children are discussing school more with us so that's a positive. They're meeting with friends outside on some school nights and on the weekend -- masks and not touching etc. It's different but it appears to be going well so far.

Hunterdon County, NJ and we've been in-class 5 days a week since Sept 1st with no issues. We have a bunch of remote students who will be returning to school on the 13th. Parent support has been terrific.

My daughter is in 10th grade here in Howard County, MD. She has 4 classes per day, 9:10, 10:10, 1:10 and 2:10. That is M, T, R and F. Wednesday is their asynchronous day where they work on assignments. She hates it. My son is in 6th grade and we enrolled him in catholic school for several reasons. One reason was so he could actually go to school and the other was that we are not happy with the education being provided in Howard County. My kids are 4 years apart and what my daughter learned in elementary school is light years ahead of what my son was learning/doing. My son is loving school, he said there are no class interruptions like their were in public school. Howard County once had a good school system, but they are just getting by on reputation now. If we were looking for a house, we would not look in Howard.
My wife and I moved into Howard County specifically for the school system. So I'm going to have to disagree with you as I know firsthand and that each High School in Howard County is better than any High School in the surrounding counties of Anne Arundel and Baltimore. Especially if you stay out in the western half all of those schools are fantastic. I'm going to guess the that part of your issue at the elementary level his many of the Columbia in Ellicott City area schools have not been hiring the best candidate for the job recently. I know a few principals of elementary schools who said that human resources and people at the board pick out their new teachers instead of them.

Anne Arundel schools really vary widely. Some really good schools. Some really bad ones.

My opinion of the virtual experience is not very high - they are trying but my daughter thinks it is terrible as do all her friends - they aren't really learning anything.
This is exactly how it's going with my son in Montgomery County, MD. If it doesn't change soon we'll be looking to go private next year.

My kids are both in school full-time, five days a week. The school is K-8 and private, and students have the option of virtual or hybrid. No issues whatsoever one month in, with students or faculty. Every morning we take our kids’ temperatures and answer questions on an app. If they had a fever, they wouldn’t be able to attend and would quarantined for a reasonable period of time. To be honest. I think the whole hybrid idea is dumb. if it isn’t safe to be in school five days a week, then it isn’t safe to be in school. The virtual option, I totally understand.

Reactions: psu00
Daughter is in private school in VA; they went back this week (1st grade; two days a week in person). All kids and staff were COVID tested prior to return to campus - only one positive out of about 1,125 tests. So far, so good (knocking the f*ck out of the wood). Has been a tremendous relief for the wife and I though my daughter has been doing pretty well with the virtual learning too (she loves interacting with technology/iPad). The school is big enough to allow for plenty of space for the kids (she only has six or seven in her 'cohort' when on campus) and they've invested in cameras, tents, new ventilation systems, etc. to allow for social distancing while on campus. I know the school would like to move to the next phase of on campus learning which would be all kids on campus with social distancing efforts in place; and if things go well I expect that could happen after Christmas. We'll see.

Big thanks to all folks (teachers/aids, etc.) working at schools and helping kids; really tremendous act of selfless service that does not go unnoticed. Go well!
Selfless service? I, respectfully, disagree. They are being paid and need a paycheck like anybody else. I have been at work, full time, in the office, since 6/1 and have neither received nor expect a pat on the back. I would love to have the luxury of working virtually from home, it such is life. The school environment, especially (it seems) with elementary and middle school is no more dangerous than an office building full of adults.

Reactions: harjeff and psualt
Selfless service? I, respectfully, disagree. They are being paid and need a paycheck like anybody else. I have been at work, full time, in the office, since 6/1 and have neither received nor expect a pat on the back. I would love to have the luxury of working virtually from home, it such is life. The school environment, especially (it seems) with elementary and middle school is no more dangerous than an office building full of adults.

That they, or anyone else, are choosing to work - for whatever reason - when they could opt out, is appreciated. You don’t think so, fine with me.

Reactions: dwiz and marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT