ADVERTISEMENT

The amazing Aliquippa football program.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I have posted several times about their highly successful football team. Just won this week to play in their 16th consecutive WPIAL title game next week. A school with single A enrollment but playing a Quad A schedule. But this about more than football.

I heard an interview with their head coach, Mike Warfield, today. After chatting about football the interviewer said that one of the Quip’s players is going to Yale next year and asked about the academics. Coach Warfield said that they had higher standards than the WPIAL which requires only a 1.0 GPA to be eligible but the Quips require a 2.0 and check every week for eligibility.

But even better…Coach Warfield went on to say that they require their players to maintain a 3.0 and anyone that falls below 3.0 must attend weekly tutoring with their academic coach. Said out of forty players only four kids have had to attend tutoring sessions which is incredible for a poor urban school. Shows what can be accomplished with standards and motivation.

The reporter then asked about the academic coach and Coach Warfield explained that he noticed a few years ago that the kids grades would drop during the off season. Said that was understandable for young kids to slack off but unacceptable so he asked the administration to hire an academic coach to monitor kids year round, which they did. Now they make sure the kids hit those standards year round.

Highly impressive program. Wish more were like it as this is what sports should do for high school kids.

I have posted several times about their highly successful football team. Just won this week to play in their 16th consecutive WPIAL title game next week. A school with single A enrollment but playing a Quad A schedule. But this about more than football.

I heard an interview with their head coach, Mike Warfield, today. After chatting about football the interviewer said that one of the Quip’s players is going to Yale next year and asked about the academics. Coach Warfield said that they had higher standards than the WPIAL which requires only a 1.0 GPA to be eligible but the Quips require a 2.0 and check every week for eligibility.

But even better…Coach Warfield went on to say that they require their players to maintain a 3.0 and anyone that falls below 3.0 must attend weekly tutoring with their academic coach. Said out of forty players only four kids have had to attend tutoring sessions which is incredible for a poor urban school. Shows what can be accomplished with standards and motivation.

The reporter then asked about the academic coach and Coach Warfield explained that he noticed a few years ago that the kids grades would drop during the off season. Said that was understandable for young kids to slack off but unacceptable so he asked the administration to hire an academic coach to monitor kids year round, which they did. Now they make sure the kids hit those standards year round.

Highly impressive program. Wish more were like it as this is what sports should do for high school kids.
It’s funny what happens when you don’t place low expectations on kids who don’t come from privileged backgrounds, but rather actually place great expectations on them and don’t treat them as victims of one “ism” or another.

My family has lived in the Montour School District since the 50s. This district is made up of several western suburbs of Pittsburgh, including Kennedy Township and Robinson Township. Those areas are turning into very upper middle class areas, and Montour’s facilities are amazing. Their football team had a great season and only lost one regular season game until they lost to McKeesport last night in the semi-finals; if they had won, they would’ve played Aliquippa for the championship.

You may ask why I am talking about Montour vis a vis Aliquippa. Well, Montour’s lone regular season loss was to Aliquippa. Based on almost every factor, there is no logical reason why Aliquippa should be able to compete with and beat schools like Montour, West A and Mars, but they do, because they expect to and don’t fall victim to the bigotry of low expectations.

Last edited:
It’s funny what happens when you don’t place low expectations on kids who don’t come from privileged backgrounds, but rather actually place great expectations on them and don’t treat them as victims of one “ism” or another.

My family has lived in the Montour School District since the 50s. This district is made up of several western suburbs of Pittsburgh, including Kennedy Township and Robinson Township. Those areas are turning into very upper middle class areas, and Montour’s facilities are amazing. Their football team had a great season and only lost one regular season game until they lost to McKesport last night in the semi-finals; if they had won, they would’ve played Aliquippa for the championship.

You may ask why I am talking about Montour vis a vis Aliquippa. Well, Montour’s lone regular season loss was to Aliquippa. Based on almost every factor, there is no logical reason why Aliquippa should be able to compete with and beat schools like Montour, West A and Mars, but they do, because they expect to and don’t fall victim to the bigotry of low expectations.

It is legitimately racist to act like kids cannot learn and should therefore have their requirements lowered. Disgusting.

It is legitimately racist to act like kids cannot learn and should therefore have their requirements lowered. Disgusting.
That’s exactly right. This country would be in a hell of a lot better shape if that wasn’t happening, but we all know that it is happening, and it’s getting worse with each passing year, thanks to the asses who govern this country.

Same thing with Farrell in District 10. I believe they should be 1A but compete in 2A and they beat the big dogs in 3A (Sharon, Hickory, Grove City) regularly. They played Prep (Erie) who is 5A and got creamed (44 - 18) a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea about academics.

I just found this old Sports Illustrated article about Aliquippa. It paints a picture of a hell that will give you shivers and bring you to tears. One out take: before games the players take Sharpies and write on their arm pads….RIP WILLY Or RIP Brother. Or team mate, cousin, friend, father. All people they know who died on those mean streets.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Same thing with Farrell in District 10. I believe they should be 1A but compete in 2A and they beat the big dogs in 3A (Sharon, Hickory, Grove City) regularly. They played Prep (Erie) who is 5A and got creamed (44 - 18) a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea about academics.
Farrell basketball used to compete in 4A and consistently won state titles in basketball. From what I hear their academics are pretty good.

And Farrell just voted to leave D7 and joined the WPIAL.

Reactions: Fac

My family has lived in the Montour School District since the 50s. This district is made up of several western suburbs of Pittsburgh, including Kennedy Township and Robinson Township. Those areas are turning into very upper middle class areas, and Montour’s facilities are amazing. Their football team had a great season and only lost one regular season game until they lost to McKeesport last night in the semi-finals; if they had won, they would’ve played Aliquippa for the championship.

Did you play football at Montour? If so what year?

Did you play football at Montour? If so what year?
I did not. I actually attended Bishop Canevin High School in the Green Tree area and played football there; I graduated in 1985. We actually made the WPIAL championship game in one of my years there. Bishop Canevin is the same high school that Tom Clements attended. However, my godfather, Bill Kriger, was the longtime head coach for Montour, and I both attended many Montour High School football games when I was a kid and played several youth football games at their stadium.

I still follow Montour football, especially the last several seasons, because my nephew played Little League baseball with many of their current players, and I know the parents of several of the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
One of the keys to Aliquippa's football success is transfers. Top players from the Pittsburgh area transfer in there on a yearly basis. The team's success and the high visibility to college recruiters attract them. These large numbers of transfers combined with winning is why the PIAA has forced them to play up in classification. They regularly have lines averaging 300 # and D1 players at the skill positions. Class A enrollment schools don't have that kind of talent legitimately.

One of the keys to Aliquippa's football success is transfers. Top players from the Pittsburgh area transfer in there on a yearly basis. The team's success and the high visibility to college recruiters attract them. These large numbers of transfers combined with winning is why the PIAA has forced them to play up in classification. They regularly have lines averaging 300 # and D1 players at the skill positions. Class A enrollment schools don't have that kind of talent legitimately.
Yes, lots of the best kids in the area transfer info Aliquippa. They should be competitive with most WPIAL schools. Good to see they expect these kids to excel in class also

I did not. I actually attended Bishop Canevin High School in the Green Tree area and played football there; I graduated in 1985. We actually made the WPIAL championship game in one of years there. Bishop Canevin is the same high school that Tom Clements attended. However, my godfather, Bill Kriger, was the longtime head coach for Montour, and I both attended many Montour High School football games when I was a kid and played several youth football games at their stadium.

I still follow Montour football, especially the last several seasons, because my nephew played Little League baseball with many of their current players, and I know the parents of several of the players.
I'm very familiar with Bill Kriger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT