ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Ams

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
Start this Wednesday and we are sending most of our top guys and gals. Gilman, Zain, Dake, and Snyder going from the NLWC. No DT but Mark Hall is going at 86kg. Rest of the team is Vito, Yianni, Burroughs, Macchiavello, and Bradley. Men’s freestyle starts on Friday and concludes on Saturday

Streamed on Flo?

EDIT: It isn't in the article, but it shows on the Flo schedule

Is David Taylor injured?
On his April 10th FB page he says he’s looking forward to competing at the Pan- Am.
Now Mark Hall is taking his place at 86kg.
Why no Aaron Brooks the U.S. Open Champ?

Men’s freestyle starts tomorrow morning. Only 2 weights going tomorrow along with most of the women’s weights. Men’s freestyle finishes out on Saturday. Tomorrow’s schedule looks like this

Women’s freestyle 50 kg, 53 kg, 57 kg, 62 kg, 68 kg, 76 kg

Men’s freestyle 79 kg, 92 kg

9:00 a.m. – Qualification rounds and repechage

5:00 p.m. – Medal matches

Helen Maroulis lost her only match and did not place! Only her and Tristan Kelly at 76kg did not place

Helen Maroulis lost her only match and did not place! Only her and Tristan Kelly at 76kg did not place
Helen lost on a last-second exchange. Initially, she won, but the exchange was challenged and she ended up giving up 4, making it 8-5 instead of 5-4 Helen. I had it pulled up on one of my monitors at work and was only half paying attention, so I'd have to go back and re-watch it to see how it went down.

That stinks for Helen!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is not the qualifier for the weight for the Olympics, right? This only has seeding implications at 2023 worlds?

Last edited:
That stinks for Helen!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is not the qualifier for the weight for the Olympics, right? This only has seeding applications at 2023 worlds?
Nothing to do with Olympics and she is already in Final X for the 2023 World Champs Team. Not sure about seeding. She got beat by being on an ankle pick twice that her opponent countered for a TD. Very unusual match for her,

Nothing to do with Olympics and she is already in Final X for the 2023 World Champs Team. Not sure about seeding. She got beat by being on an ankle pick twice that her opponent countered for a TD. Very unusual match for her,
I’m pretty sure that apart from being a returning world medalist, winning your continental championship is the most seeding points you can earn.

Is David Taylor injured?
On his April 10th FB page he says he’s looking forward to competing at the Pan- Am.
Now Mark Hall is taking his place at 86kg.
Why no Aaron Brooks the U.S. Open Champ?
Good question about DT. Aaron Brooks isn't there because he's on the current national team.

So Sarah H. comes to the mat for the Gold medal, they shake hands and camera goes to interview of bronze medal winner. Camera returns to the mat in time to see Sarah ankle lacing the opponant for the win. Five seconds later, we miss the entire match.

Note to video production supervisors:

DO NOT show interviews while live match is underway!!!!!

Thank you.

Last edited:
FB-IMG-1683333310901.jpg

Mark wins 10-0--but I have NO idea how his pentultimate score wasn't a 5 instead of 2. It was a 5, right??? Feet over head, landed ON his back. Very confused.

She's making me look like I can actually judge wrestling talent. Saw her at MSG's small arena at last year's Final X and she stole the show for me. I posted her about her here and said, barring injury, she will become the greatest women's international wrestler in USA history. I've seen nothing since then to make me change my mind. In fact, we might wind up removing the "USA" qualifier given her age and what she's accomplished already. Yoshida Saori (or Saori Yoshida) better watch out!

Mark wins 10-0--but I have NO idea how his pentultimate score wasn't a 5 instead of 2. It was a 5, right??? Feet over head, landed ON his back. Very confused.
Yeah, bare minimum of 4. Both wrestlers stopped wrestling because they thought it was at least 4.

Reactions: nerfstate
She's making me look like I can actually judge wrestling talent. Saw her at MSG's small arena at last year's Final X and she stole the show for me. I posted her about her here and said, barring injury, she will become the greatest women's international wrestler in USA history. I've seen nothing since then to make me change my mind. In fact, we might wind up removing the "USA" qualifier given her age and what she's accomplished already. Yoshida Saori (or Saori Yoshida) better watch out!
Not to burst your bubble, but everyone has been saying that she's the best. She won 3 world titles last year!

Not to burst your bubble, but everyone has been saying that she's the best. She won 3 world titles last year!
Starting w/ @mrh1645 over 4 years ago, in fact. But it sure is fun to watch her go!
Willie Saylor wrote an article about Fargo this summer that had a section on breakout stars for the girls. The article mentioned a girl from Cali who was not at Fargo because she was still in junior high but is elite (e.g., can go toe-to-toe with World Teamer and 2x Yarygin Champ, Tamyra Menseh at OTC). That girl is Amit Elor (pictured in the summary Tom posted). At Cali state, the frosh Elor won the state title going 5-0, all pins, all under 48 secs (0:15, 0:30, 0:17, 0:48, 0:29). Guess she is pretty good.

Torreblanca so deadly with that slide-by, beats mark 14-4. Mark will go for bronze.

Reactions: zzs006
lol, Snyder gassed Perez in the first 50 seconds bad enough for him to take injury time. Eventually gets the fall.

The rest of the team USA into the finals—Mostly rolling but watch Yianni’s semi. The hometown hero Argentine almost got the upset—crowd was going nuts.

Last edited:
lol, Snyder gassed Perez in the first 50 seconds bad enough for him to take injury time. Eventually gets the fall.

The rest of the team USA into the finals—Mostly rolling but watch Yianni’s semi. The hometown hero Argentine almost got the upset—crowd was going nuts.
Yianni's semi was a great match. Destribats is tough. He is one of the quickest wrestlers out there. That was great technique he used to get that takedown on the edge when Yianni was content to stay grounded. If you are a Flo subscriber here it is:

Last edited:
Anthony Valencia, representing Mexico, lost in the Quarterfinals to Venezuela.

Yianni's semi was a great match. Destribats is tough. He is one of the quickest wrestlers out there. That was great technique he used to get that takedown on the edge when Yianni was content to stay grounded. If you are a Flo subscriber here it is:
And great counter wrestling to even get to that point. RBY-like, with jumping over Yianni rather than sprawling.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Are they doing the 2 bronze matches and then the final for each weight, or all bronze matches and saving all finals for after?

Gilman and Cruz coming up. FloCast is a little glitchy. Gilman working his underhooks on the left side, gets a pushout. 1-0. Gilman right back to left underhook, another pushout. 2-0. Cruz shot, stuffed and stalemated. Gilman with a right underhook and gets another pushout. 3-0. Cruz tried a inside trip, Gilman counters with his underhook, Cruz whizzers, Gilman behind for 2. 5-0. Gilman with a single, TD for 2, gets a lace for 2 more. 9-0. Gilman shoots, locks up a single, lifts and they go OOB. Gilman with a pushout and a point to finish a 1st period tech 10-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT