ADVERTISEMENT

Over/Under % we play the bowl game?

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
The game is in Florida, so I certainly do not think the actual venue/bowl game would cancel it. However, we are getting to the point that if a variant runs through either team, they will not have enough time to recover/quarantine before game day.

How confident are you that the game will still happen? CBB games are being cancelled left and right right now.

Tangentially related - I wonder if any of the playoff teams will be affected for their game?

Maybe the will take the new NFL approach. If vaccinated(should be unvaxxed as well) two tests 24 hours apart that show no viral load to spread they can play.

Reactions: rcy4499
The game is in Florida, so I certainly do not think the actual venue/bowl game would cancel it. However, we are getting to the point that if a variant runs through either team, they will not have enough time to recover/quarantine before game day.

How confident are you that the game will still happen? CBB games are being cancelled left and right right now.

Tangentially related - I wonder if any of the playoff teams will be affected for
Seeing that our team is fully vaccinated….
% chance the game is played - 95%
% chance the game is cancelled - 5%

Last edited:

Tangentially related - I wonder if any of the playoff teams will be affected for their game?
Under 50%. The way this omicron thing is spreading I'd be surprised to see anyone playing beyond the 27th. We'll have a bunch of very healthy and angry players sidelined by a nothing burger virus and we'll b staring at re-runs of white christmas on the tube... or die hard if we care more. Gee, maybe we'll pile into the theatres to watch the new spidey flick and spread omicron far and wide.

Hope i'm sooooooooooo wrong cuz i want to see us play and i want to watch the playoffs and see michigan beat georgia and send cfb into a classic melt down (and again, i hate michigan, but they earned my respect this year). But if what is happening in the nfl makes any sense (it doesn't but..) i suspect we're all fooked.

Every league should just play.

That they don't shows exactly how spineless and weak our corporate "leadership" is - these clowns are taking zero risk for themselves but destroying our culture. Oh, well.

It is silly. We have zero cases of athletes getting seriously ill and/or dying from Covid. Unless you count the fat kid who wasn't playing as a football player....which I know you media fans do.

And 1000 more people spreading out of 1,000,000 spreading makes no statistical difference. None.

What does being fully vaccinated have anything to do with it?
It has a lot to do with it, and it’s the main reason our basketball team isn’t playing right now. As I stated above, I’m not too worried about one of our players getting covid since the whole team and coaching staff is vaxxed. I know Franklin is a big supporter of getting the vaccine. Now I have no idea if Arkansas is the same way within their program. I wouldn’t bank on it, but they won’t cancel unless it runs through their whole team and affects 20+ players. This is their biggest bowl game in years. And of course, as the OP stated, the actual game and bowl venue itself won’t cancel considering the game is in Florida, which is one of the more open states in the country.

Is it a possibility the variant is designed such that it will infect us all without malice... and then 9 months from now (right before the elections) unleash its' wrath? My one true fear since we all (those of us with IQ's in triple digits) know this engineered killer could be almost a trojan horse... easy pz into our mainstream... and then it unleashes an unstoppable attack.

And wanna guess what country wins that horse race? Yeah.... that one.

So hoping i'm 100% wrong.
Test board is leaking.

It has a lot to do with it, and it’s the main reason our basketball team isn’t playing right now. As I stated above, I’m not too worried about one of our players getting covid since the whole team and coaching staff is vaxxed. I know Franklin is a big supporter of getting the vaccine. Now I have no idea if Arkansas is the same way within their program. I wouldn’t bank on it, but they won’t cancel unless it runs through their whole team and affects 20+ players. This is their biggest bowl game in years. And of course, as the OP stated, the actual game and bowl venue itself won’t cancel considering the game is in Florida, which is one of the more open states in the country.
100% of the Cleveland Browns are vaccinated. 23 tested positive last week plus two coaches. The Cavs game was postponed because four players tested positive with 100% vaccinations. Being vaccinated has little impact on being infected against Omicron. It does appear to minimize the severity, or that just might be Omicron. Either way, the game is at risk.

I've been saying this for a long time now (since we realized this would be endemic) but we shouldn't be focusing on cases but rather on hospitalizations. If people are getting sick but staying out of the hospital, this is just another seasonal "flu".

Early research suggests that fully vaxxed and boosted people who get omicron are very unlikely to be hospitalized (or die). This is great news and means that things are moving towards just being a nuisance, not something that shuts down the world.

I've been saying this for a long time now (since we realized this would be endemic) but we shouldn't be focusing on cases but rather on hospitalizations. If people are getting sick but staying out of the hospital, this is just another seasonal "flu".

Early research suggests that fully vaxxed and boosted people who get omicron are very unlikely to be hospitalized (or die). This is great news and means that things are moving towards just being a nuisance, not something that shuts down the world.
If everyone who was eligible got vaccinated, we would be close to that now. If everyone was vaccinated our hospitals wouldn't be over run like they are now.

Maybe the will take the new NFL approach. If vaccinated(should be unvaxxed as well) two tests 24 hours apart that show no viral load to spread they can play.
That's not what the NFL is/was doing. They are going to start using the common sense approach ...

1 - If you (player/coach) are vaccinated and not showing any symptoms, you are not going to be tested.

2 - They are recognizing that the PCR test is picking up traces of the virus and producing a positive result where the individual isn't sick and probably isn't even contagious. This has to do with how many times the sample is "analyzed/spun" in order to see if the virus exists. Without getting too deep into the weeds, the PCR test can pick up evidence of the virus at cycles between 15 and 40+. The lower the cycle number, the higher the amount of the virus. The higher the cycle number before a positive reading is obtained, the lower the amount of virus and most probably, the likelihood that the individual won't transmit to others.

So, the NFL is going to set a cycle threshold of 35. Anyone that receives a positive test, but at a cycle of more than 35 will be allow to play (as long as they aren't showing symptoms). Most PCR tests in this country use a cycle rate of 40+ to determine if someone is positive or not.

We can only hope the rest of society starts thinking this way, too.

If everyone who was eligible got vaccinated, we would be close to that now. If everyone was vaccinated our hospitals wouldn't be over run like they are now.
Agreed, but that is kind of on those people's personal choices right?

Reactions: blmr31
Our hospitals aren't "overrun". Nationwide, ICU bed are running at about 78% capacity with about 20% of those due to Covid patients. That capacity percentage is just about as designed by the financial folks running the hospitals in order for them to be financially profitable.

There is an issue with staffing problems in some/many hospitals because like every industry, people (nursing staff especially) got laid off during the pandemic (no patients because they cancelled all elective surgeries and treatments) and those folks decided not to go back to work for one reason or another.

Our hospitals aren't "overrun". Nationwide, ICU bed are running at about 78% capacity with about 20% of those due to Covid patients. That capacity percentage is just about as designed by the financial folks running the hospitals in order for them to be financially profitable.

There is an issue with staffing problems in some/many hospitals because like every industry, people (nursing staff especially) got laid off during the pandemic (no patients because they cancelled all elective surgeries and treatments) and those folks decided not to go back to work for one reason or another.
I've heard that part of the staffing issues might be folks just simply retiring--either early or not staying on past their eligibility date. The housing price boom has helped those who are downsizing to retire a little earlier too.

On the game? NHL now has 9 teams out until after Christmas. And NHL players are vaccinated and the teams have fairly strong protocols. So, odds are dropping by the day, IMHO.

100% of the Cleveland Browns are vaccinated. 23 tested positive last week plus two coaches. The Cavs game was postponed because four players tested positive with 100% vaccinations. Being vaccinated has little impact on being infected against Omicron. It does appear to minimize the severity, or that just might be Omicron. Either way, the game is at risk.
While your points are well taken, how do you conclude that the game is at risk with no information regarding the number of positives at PSU and Arkansas?

While your points are well taken, how do you conclude that the game is at risk with no information regarding the number of positives at PSU and Arkansas?
Only generally....in the NFL, at least three games were postponed this week. The Cavs postponed last night's game against ATL. Only risk factor I see, per the OP, is the CDC is predicting peak COVID Omricon over Xmas. So I can imagine that the NCAA will "error on the side of caution".

No predictions.

That's not what the NFL is/was doing. They are going to start using the common sense approach ...

1 - If you (player/coach) are vaccinated and not showing any symptoms, you are not going to be tested.

2 - They are recognizing that the PCR test is picking up traces of the virus and producing a positive result where the individual isn't sick and probably isn't even contagious. This has to do with how many times the sample is "analyzed/spun" in order to see if the virus exists. Without getting too deep into the weeds, the PCR test can pick up evidence of the virus at cycles between 15 and 40+. The lower the cycle number, the higher the amount of the virus. The higher the cycle number before a positive reading is obtained, the lower the amount of virus and most probably, the likelihood that the individual won't transmit to others.

So, the NFL is going to set a cycle threshold of 35. Anyone that receives a positive test, but at a cycle of more than 35 will be allow to play (as long as they aren't showing symptoms). Most PCR tests in this country use a cycle rate of 40+ to determine if someone is positive or not.

It's exactly what they are doing. They are "claiming" that they aren't able to spread the virus if its above 35. Not sure why they would stop testing vaccinated as we clearly have learned that's who's spreading it. And if you believe they can't spread it above 35 then they really need to catch them below that number. But it's funny that an unvaxxed player isn't offered the same ability. That number doesn't matter if your vaxxed or not.

Last edited:

Thanks for that review.

I have a neighborhood friend who runs a dentist practice. He has to test his employees once a week and quarantine anyone that tests positive. He's got a dentist that tests positive every single time. After a month, they just told him to go back to work. Nobody seems to know why he tests positive all the time.

Thanks for that review.

I have a neighborhood friend who runs a dentist practice. He has to test his employees once a week and quarantine anyone that tests positive. He's got a dentist that tests positive every single time. After a month, they just told him to go back to work. Nobody seems to know why he tests positive all the time.
Did he have it? If you get it you can't test for 90 days. Not because of natural immunity but because you could still carry the virus even though you aren't contagious.

Did he have it? If you get it you can't test for 90 days. Not because of natural immunity but because you could still carry the virus even though you aren't contagious.
he doesn't think so...but he's tested positive every time they've given it over 1.5 years.

Downsizing is tricky these days. If you sell your 3,500 sq ft house for $350k you might have to spend $500k for a newly built 2,500 sq ft replacement.
I'll be honest--I don't know a lot of folks that have a 2500 sq ft house, much less a 3500 one. My first house was about 1000 sq ft. Current one, where we've been for 20 years is around 2000--and it's one of the larger houses in my neighborhood (and bigger than the one I grew up in in Bucks County). For me and most of my friends, both houses would be upsizing.

Also, unless your large house is pretty beat up or needs some upgrades, I'm not sure the gap is going to be that great. Unless the new build has a lot of major bells and whistles.

Up in the Lehigh Valley there's a new neighborhood being built near me where the most basic model of house is 1600 sq ft and the price starts at $425k before upgrades/bells & whistles.

• Wow
Reactions: kgilbert78

Or just accept that Fauci Bat Rat CCP Flu is just life and dont shut down for it like for the 85 moving to 90ish percent of people dying from other things.

Reactions: cyrizzle and jjw165
Just following up about the bowls, potentially, being at risk. The NHL just suspended the season until at least 12/27

FHGZiS3XMAIBCVm

risk level of this game not being played just went way up. T A&M just pulled out of the Taxslayer Gator Bowl against Wake F.

• Angry
Reactions: N&B4PSU
The smart people tell us that being vaxxed does not prevent infection nor the spreading of the virus, so whatever happens, the vax status of anybody will not factor into the decision.

Last edited:
The smart people tell us that being vaxxed does not prevent infection the the spreading of the virus, so whatever happens, the vax status of anybody will not factor into the decision.
except for the new 5 day isolation period thats about to be announced.

risk level of this game not being played just went way up. T A&M just pulled out of the Taxslayer Gator Bowl against Wake F.

And so it begins.. a nothing burger blip that will test so many players positive who are not in the least impacted (hey, if ur sick ur sick... these guys aren't sick)... idiots running the asylum should be sooooooooo proud. From the "How to screw YOUR country (not ours) in a few easy steps" guidebook from the marxist regime.

We're supposed to go on a cruise in february... hell no.. that sheiss aint happening. Idiots have the con. Remember bo-peep.. the sky is surely falling. lmfao. I've prepared the wife for what will surely come... full on stupidity.

And my family wonders why i refuse to to move back to nj. omfg. Seriously. not in a million years. Advice to nj/nyc/ct nutjobs.. you bring that crap down here to where we don't cotton to ur kind of stupidity... ur toast.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT