ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wow, open letter from Baylor fan to the football program

TenerHallTerror

Oct 18, 2016
Matt Rhule is the real deal, but what a letter. Lots of parallels . . . :

LINK

When I came to speak to you in June, you had your guard up. You were leery of being talked at. When I reached out to your coach to come advocate for you and your future, I had no idea what you were walking through.

I didn’t know that you were called “rapists,” “molesters” and every other name in the book on social media

I didn’t know that people painted themselves up for games with the slogan “No Means No” and taunted you.

I didn’t know that other university athletic teams were subject to verbal attacks in airports just for wearing the Baylor logo, and I didn’t know that your parents and siblings were subject to the same hostility as well.

By the time I walked into your building to bring #ChangingtheNarrative to you, I did know. And it changed me. I was coming to fight for you. And the most amazing thing happened: Walls fell down.

I think it was a big mistake for Rhule to take that job and get involved in that mess, plus having to start from ground zero in building relationships with texas high school coaches being that isn’t a texas guy. He should’ve waited for a better opportunity to come along

Reactions: AvgUser
Matt Rhule is the real deal, but what a letter. Lots of parallels . . . :

LINK

When I came to speak to you in June, you had your guard up. You were leery of being talked at. When I reached out to your coach to come advocate for you and your future, I had no idea what you were walking through.

I didn’t know that you were called “rapists,” “molesters” and every other name in the book on social media

I didn’t know that people painted themselves up for games with the slogan “No Means No” and taunted you.

I didn’t know that other university athletic teams were subject to verbal attacks in airports just for wearing the Baylor logo, and I didn’t know that your parents and siblings were subject to the same hostility as well.

By the time I walked into your building to bring #ChangingtheNarrative to you, I did know. And it changed me. I was coming to fight for you. And the most amazing thing happened: Walls fell down.

Cool - thanks for sharing. I’m another who thinks Ruhle could have done better, but dude is a great Penn Stater. Nice article!

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I think it was a big mistake for Rhule to take that job and get involved in that mess, plus having to start from ground zero in building relationships with texas high school coaches being that isn’t a texas guy. He should’ve waited for a better opportunity to come along

Take a look at Baylors Commitment list for 2017. Compare the dates the kids committed against the date that Rhule agreed to become Head Coach. Look at their hometowns. And then consider who he is recruiting against in State and nationally.

Do the same for 2018.

He may not be a Texas guy but he is doing a pretty good job getting decent recruiting classes.

Last edited:
I think he knew he had to strike while the iron was hot before Temple went back to being...you know....Temple and people forgot all about him.

Feel bad for Rhule as he got O'Briened but Baylor while good recently really didn't have the history or backing. Hopefully they give him time to sort it out and right the ship properly.

Take a look at Baylors Commitment list for 2017. Compare the dates the kids committed against the date that Rhule agreed to become Head Coach. Look at their hometowns. And then consider who he is recruiting against in State and nationally.

Do the same for 2018.

He may not be a Texas guy but he is doing a pretty good job getting decent recruiting classes.

he embodies Success With Honor . . .

Reactions: bison13
Regardless of how it turns out he has his family set for life with this contract and its hard to pass on that kind of security. I think he will do well at the end of the day down there but it's going to be a tough long road and hopefully the fans and school hang in there with him.

Regardless of how it turns out he has his family set for life with this contract and its hard to pass on that kind of security. I think he will do well at the end of the day down there but it's going to be a tough long road and hopefully the fans and school hang in there with him.

they need to give him 4 years, like any new coach

Baylor really got kicked in the teeth. The alumni are pissed at the school, but ready to support the football program.

This keeps coming up. He took the best offer he had last year. He is making $4 million a year for however he signed the initial contract (4 or 5 years?) That is as much as he would have made at Temple in his lifetime. While he is a good coach (maybe great), he was not going to sustain 9-10 win success at Temple. he caught some lightning in a bottle with that QB and RB he had there, and their eligibility was done. Temple is 3-5 this year, and maybe would have been 4-4 or 5-3 with him there, maybe. As someone above said, he had to strike while the iron was hot. Was a Power5 going to hire him after this year if he went 6-6 or 7-5? A few more years of that and the window could have closed. He will get a little time to rebuild the Baylor program. It is a great sitaution for him to mold that team the way he wants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT