ADVERTISEMENT

OT women golfers and the LPGA at cincinnati.

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
I watched two rounds of the women's golf tournament in Cincinnati and was mostly greatly impressed. The women really hit the ball solidly and straight. Didn't see one woman hit a wild hook or slice. Also, very surprised to see the most of the women were average size. The only really big women I saw were norquist, Korda and Lexi thompson. Thompson is actually a very good looking tall athletic woman and not huge. She hits the ball extremely well.

There were several women who only 5 ft tall who could hit the ball 260 yards. The golf course itself was in very good shape but not that difficult. Greens were not that fast and we're not that that uneven. Also, the fairways were wide.

Notwithstanding that I didn't see a whole lot of great putting. I saw one woman miss four short putts in a row. Really sad to see because she was striking the ball really well. Also, the fairways were wide.

One other thing I noticed, was that the women were not very expressive on the golf course after hitting bad shots or puts. It was like they had their face painted. In many cases, not even a Grimace after missing the short putt.

All in all, a really good spectating experience because you could actually see the good players because the crowds weren't overwhelming. Also, I picked up a couple of things for my own golf game and the first time I played after watching the tournament, I was 2 over par, which is good for me for 9 holes.

I caddied at the Lady Keystone Open at Hershey for 5 years. The women spend more time hitting shots the chipping and putting during practice. do not recall many spending much time on sand shots. The short game is what most were weak at. That was 25 +/- years ago. maybe times have changed.

I did see Annika Sorenstam after a practice round at Avalon Lakes G C. In Ohio hitting sand shots. She hit each ball with machine-like consistency. It was like instant replay in a video loop. Perhaps that partly explained her dominance.

I'm always surprised by how poorly the LPGA players putt. The best would be maybe average on the PGA tour. They really don't seem to be very good at reading greens. You will see more putts miss the line by a foot or more from 10 to 15 feet than any pga tournament and they have far fewer crazily sloped greens and pin placements.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I'm always surprised by how poorly the LPGA players putt. The best would be maybe average on the PGA tour. They really don't seem to be very good at reading greens. You will see more putts miss the line by a foot or more from 10 to 15 feet than any pga tournament and they have far fewer crazily sloped greens and pin placements.
The ladies can’t seem to understand the concept behind a thermostat either

Sigh ...

Buck, I'm picking up your well deserved FLAG for the mention of Lexi Thompson sans photo. Here she is:

images

I've played in two LPGA ProAms, once with a headliner and the other time with a middle of the road player. I was surprised at how much help they get from their caddy in lining up their tee shots and that is not allowed in professional events with the men. Never knew that until I played the first one. They all seem to have great machine like consistency and without a lot of wildly off target shot making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT