ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

He is inviting BWI and Hawkeye Report for a cookout. All of them.
Per @82bordeaux

69386045.jpg

Forschner
In 93 I was gifted a set of Forschner from the brother of the a guy who was the sous chef at the White House for 15+ years.
I still have them and they are still performing well.
I am not sure they are the same quality now, and I think they may be made by Victorinox now (but I am really not sure)

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
25 years ago my sister in law was working as a food safety for a kill plant. She was able to get Victorinox knives at a good price. About $15-20 each as I remember. They sharpen easy and hold an edge okay. The New West knives are a little hard to get sharp but hold the edge very well.

Back to the smoking... pulled out a brisket out of the freezer from one of my own steers. Should be a good one. This will put over 1350 lbs into the smoker this year. Pretty happy it's cooling off and I can put the big one away. Sad to say I'm tired of smoking and ready for soups and stews.

Probably over 20 years ago, I fell into a bunch of Zwilling Professional knives at a cutlery store bankruptcy auction. I think I paid $8 a knife for as many as I wanted off the table at that price. I only sharpened the set this year. They aren't Wustof, but they're more than serviceable, especially at that price.

Probably over 20 years ago, I fell into a bunch of Zwilling Professional knives at a cutlery store bankruptcy auction. I think I paid $8 a knife for as many as I wanted off the table at that price. I only sharpened the set this year. They aren't Wustof, but they're more than serviceable, especially at that price.
Are those knives marked Henkels as well as Zwilling? I have two "Henkels Zwilling Twin" marked knives I got from my father. He used a lot of very good knives but Henkels were his favorite.

Are those knives marked Henkels as well as Zwilling? I have two "Henkels Zwilling Twin" marked knives I got from my father. He used a lot of very good knives but Henkels were his favorite.
The company has the same parent. So the Zwilling knives also list J.A. Henkels. But the makers marks are a bit different, along with the logos.

Zwilling is Solingen, Germany. I also have a plain J.A. Henkels International that's from Spain.

Logo-wise, my Zwillings have two men standing side-by-side with a black square background. The Spanish steel Henkels has one man in black (no background).

Reactions: Split shot
The company has the same parent. So the Zwilling knives also list J.A. Henkels. But the makers marks are a bit different, along with the logos.

Zwilling is Solingen, Germany. I also have a plain J.A. Henkels International that's from Spain.

Logo-wise, my Zwillings have two men standing side-by-side with a black square background. The Spanish steel Henkels has one man in black (no background).
Makers Mark, are we now transitioning to bourbon?

I am smoking a beef tenderloin this weekend. First can someone recommend a good sauce to go with this. I personally do not care for anything on a good cut of meat but the guest may. Second, I have not smoked salmon before. Would I get any cross flavors if I smoked them at the same time?

My favorite six inexpensive/available bourbons, in no particular order: Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Knob Creek 9 Year Old, Makers Mark 46, 1792 Bottled In Bond and Old Grand Dad 114. All are very good drank neat.
Best value on the market-Old Forrester 1920.
I've become partial to full proof whiskeys. 1792 Full Proof is great too.

Reactions: Used2BEerie
Best value on the market-Old Forrester 1920.
I've become partial to full proof whiskeys. 1792 Full Proof is great too.
I’m with you on the full proof bourbons and just picked up another bottle of 1920, been enjoying it. If you can find it, give Old Ezra a try.

I am smoking a beef tenderloin this weekend. First can someone recommend a good sauce to go with this. I personally do not care for anything on a good cut of meat but the guest may. Second, I have not smoked salmon before. Would I get any cross flavors if I smoked them at the same time?
I personally haven't tried smoking fish in my smoker. I have been told that you can cross contaminate the flavors into other meats. And skin on salmon would have a fairly strong odor.

Just to be safe, I would smoke the tenderloin first. Certainly don't want to ruin that cut of meat.

I would never put a sauce on high quality beef, so I don't have any recommendations there.

Sauce, catch the drippings in a pan beneath. Put the drippings in a pan over med high heat, reduce by half. Add a good splash of good dry red wine, reduce again. Add beef stock, reduce again. Done and easy.

You could also make a simple horsey sauce. Just Google it. It's super easy.

The salmon won't effect your beef, since the beef will just about be done cooking by the time you start the fish.

Where did you get the PA Peach? I love peach flavored whiskey and would certainly be up for some peach bourbon.

For a very good and easy drink, try peach Crown or Jim Beam and a good sweet tea.
I think the Mrs. picked that up in Hershey. We stopped at Tattered Flag Brewing and they have a distillery upstairs.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Cooking up some pork tenderloin for this evening. Sear off on grill with lump charcoal and a couple pieces of hickory. Move grate over so it finishes on indirect heat. Quick, tender, and my family devours it. Seasoning is: salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon. Cooked to 150 degrees.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I don't have a sexy cabinet, just storage.

And overflow.

I’m digging it.

My wife got tired of me just stockpiling bottles in the pantry, so she got a liquor cabinet for me to stash them in.

I really only seem to have a taste for bourbon, and hi proof/barrel proof stuff at that. And maybe some rye. Try as I might, I can’t develop a taste for scotch at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT