ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

I will start with equipment. In my opion the most important feature is temperature control. Which is why I like my Big Green Egg XL. Once you experiment with the air vents you can really dial in the temps. Because of the thick ceramic construction wind and outside temps have little effect. I can light my BGE and 1/2 hour later I have the vents sent for 250 degrees (my preferred smoking temp) and I don't touch them all day. I use a remote probe to moniter the internal meat temps. So I basically pretend I am hard at work barbequing when I am actually relaxing with a cold beverage.😄 There are alot of ceramic cookers out there and many are equal to the BGE. Depends on your preference. The BGE also makes great steaks and burgers. I can dial mine up to 650 degrees for a great sear. Also you must use a good quality lunp charcoal. The big chunks work best for me as they allow better airflow.
I did have a pellet grill but sold it when we moved. I would reccomend that for someone starting out as it easier to control long cooks. Just don't go cheap as there is a big disparirty among them as they have become real popular. Try to find one made in the USA with USA steel. One drawback is (in my opinion) you can't acheive the same sweet smoke with pellets as you can with Hardwood chunks.

Anyone have a wild turkey recipe?

MD youth day is Saturday and I'm thinking we will be on some birds. Taking my son and his friend, both on their first bird hunts.

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!

MD youth day is Saturday and I'm thinking we will be on some birds. Taking my son and his friend, both on their first bird hunts.

I like making turkey nuggets with the breast meat. I cube the meat and marinade it with yellow mustard for 24 hours. Coat with a corn meal breading of your choice and deep fry. Legs and thighs usually go to a noodle soup.

Reactions: dunkej01

I would brine it first. They can dry out if overcooked. Here is a link.

Anyone got a recommendation for a thermometer set? Multiple meat probes plus a cooking temp probe would be great. Bluetooth compatible with my phone is a plus.

I would brine it first. They can dry out if overcooked. Here is a link.
That was going to be my recommendation as well. I wouldn't be afraid to inject a brine either.

Smoked hot ranch pretzels.
I get the large tubs of Utz pretzels and have typically found best prices at Sam's.
Will first season them and then smoke.
Recipe: (note: you'll have to scale it up for bigger batches)
1-1/4 lb pretzels
1 cup cooking oil
1 pkg ranch dressing mix (dry)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (increase if you prefer hotter)
1 tsp garlic powder
Place pretzels in roasting pan. Mix other ingredients together and pour over pretzels, then mix well.
Bake at 200d for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes
Smoking:
(I have a large homemade (electric) smoker and use pellets for the smoke in an A-maze-n smoker tray. I can smoke about 16 lbs of pretzels in a session)
I set the heat to 85-90d and smoke for about 4 hours, mixing every hour. (This is a typical burn time for my pellet tray, and I have 2 going at same time.)
Then, enjoy with your favorite beverage.
If you like smoky taste, you'll love these.

Anyone got a recommendation for a thermometer set? Multiple meat probes plus a cooking temp probe would be great. Bluetooth compatible with my phone is a plus.
Thermoworks makes a variety of products. I use them. This is another area not to go cheap. Lots of inexpensive junk out there.

Smoked hot ranch pretzels.
I get the large tubs of Utz pretzels and have typically found best prices at Sam's.
Will first season them and then smoke.
Recipe: (note: you'll have to scale it up for bigger batches)
1-1/4 lb pretzels
1 cup cooking oil
1 pkg ranch dressing mix (dry)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (increase if you prefer hotter)
1 tsp garlic powder
Place pretzels in roasting pan. Mix other ingredients together and pour over pretzels, then mix well.
Bake at 200d for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes
Smoking:
(I have a large homemade (electric) smoker and use pellets for the smoke in an A-maze-n smoker tray. I can smoke about 16 lbs of pretzels in a session)
I set the heat to 85-90d and smoke for about 4 hours, mixing every hour. (This is a typical burn time for my pellet tray, and I have 2 going at same time.)
Then, enjoy with your favorite beverage.
If you like smoky taste, you'll love these.
That sounds awesome. My wife makes a similar recipe using the large sourdough pretzel pieces. But bakes them rather than smoke. I'll have to try that for sure.

I will start with equipment. In my opion the most important feature is temperature control. Which is why I like my Big Green Egg XL. Once you experiment with the air vents you can really dial in the temps. Because of the thick ceramic construction wind and outside temps have little effect. I can light my BGE and 1/2 hour later I have the vents sent for 250 degrees (my preferred smoking temp) and I don't touch them all day. I use a remote probe to moniter the internal meat temps. So I basically pretend I am hard at work barbequing when I am actually relaxing with a cold beverage.😄 There are alot of ceramic cookers out there and many are equal to the BGE. Depends on your preference. The BGE also makes great steaks and burgers. I can dial mine up to 650 degrees for a great sear. Also you must use a good quality lunp charcoal. The big chunks work best for me as they allow better airflow.
I did have a pellet grill but sold it when we moved. I would reccomend that for someone starting out as it easier to control long cooks. Just don't go cheap as there is a big disparirty among them as they have become real popular. Try to find one made in the USA with USA steel. One drawback is (in my opinion) you can't acheive the same sweet smoke with pellets as you can with Hardwood chunks.
Anyone have a Yoder Smoker?

Reactions: hlstone
A quick word of advice for newbies. Check the calibration of your temp gauges periodically on your smoker or grill. In particular when smoking, cooking temp is super critical. I calibrate mine with boiling water.

I've had mixed luck with wild turkey as it's very easy to overcook and end up with a dry bird. A remote thermometer would be helpful. I found this link which seems pretty good at covering the bases for brined and unbrined birds:

https://www.binkysculinarycarnival.com/how-to-cook-a-wild-turkey/

Reactions: dunkej01
Sous vide is great for vegetables, seafood, and pork belly. Never been a fan of cooking other proteins this way. But my family kills for the glazed carrots done sous vide.
To me the meat doesn’t have the same texture with Sous vide. You can try finishing it on the grill to get a bit of char but it still has the texture like it was boiled. Not a big fan.

Sous vide is great for vegetables, seafood, and pork belly. Never been a fan of cooking other proteins this way. But my family kills for the glazed carrots done sous vide.
I love steaks sous vide. You just sear them afterward in a cast iron skillet with some butter and thyme. They can turn out amazing. That being said, I like steaks on the grill too. The only thing that really throws me off is chicken sous vide.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
To me the meat doesn’t have the same texture with Sous vide. You can try finishing it on the grill to get a bit of char but it still has the texture like it was boiled. Not a big fan.
To each their own, but I love pork chops sous vide. I'll usually get a whole pork loin, do something fun on the smoker with the center roast, and then slice the ends into 1.5" thick chops. Then I just preseason them and put two 2 in a vac seal bag and into the freezer. Great relatively quick easy weeknight meal for the GF and I. Of course patting it dry and getting a sear on there is a must. The other benefit is the bag juices make an amazing pan sauce. I originally bought the sous vide for steaks, and I still do like a sous vide steak, but I generally will reverse sear them on the smoker instead.

Due to a heat exchanger failure at one of my customer sites, I stumbled across the Maillard Reaction. Due to the failure, they got marshmallow in their boiler system. The smell from the boiler water was amazing, despite having to tell the guy he had marshmallow in there.

Maillard Reaction is what creates many of the aromas floating around the kitchen, as well as what browns bread and meats and marshmallows and other things. The reaction is between amino acids and carbohydrates, and many other compounds are created when you start to add heat.

The point to this story is it's a fascinating topic when you start to consider brines, or why you add certain things to recipes. I'll be paying a lot closer attention to it, now that I'm aware.

Sorry long. I’ve never barbecued a wild turkey, but have done many store bought turkeys. I have barbecued most every cut of meat, except whole hog, on a BBQ pit I welded together myself from 1/4” steel. In my opinion, all cuts of meat turn out great, when barbecued properly, but turkey is the one meat that totally transforms, in a barbecue pit and in a very good way. I start by brining the turkey over night in 1 cup of kosher salt and 1 cup of dark brown sugar, in cold water. Then I season heavily, both inside and out, as I only do a large 20 to 23 LB turkey. I keep it simple salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. My dad used to joke that all my big cuts of meat looked like I dragged them through the dirt, attesting to how heavily I season big cuts of meat. Then onto my pit, I welded a large charcoal basket, that I fill up with regular charcoal, like Kingsford. I’ve tried hardwood firewood and lump and with my pit, I’ve found that regular store bought charcoal briquettes works best and once the basket is full I get about 11 to 12 hour burn. I barbecue at 225 and utilize a digital thermometer inside the pit and one in the meat. I spray the turkey with extra virgin olive oil every hour. I put the thermometer prob in the thickest part of the breast and remove it to rest when the temperature hits 172, this assures the breast will remain very moist. I let it rest for 20 minutes and proceed to carve. The flavor and moistness you get from this method is indescribable. And the turkey’s transformation, compared to doing the exact same method, in the oven is to die for. Incidentally, I’ve done whole chickens this way and they do not go through this transformation, for whatever reason, still very good though.

Last edited:
Sorry long. I’ve never barbecued a wild turkey, but have done many store bought turkeys. I have barbecued most every cut of meat, except whole hog, on a BBQ pit I welded together myself from 1/4” steel. In my opinion, all cuts of meat turn out great, when barbecued properly, but turkey is the one meat that totally transforms, in a barbecue pit and in a very good way. I start by brining the turkey over night in 1 cup of kosher salt and 1 cup of dark brown sugar, in cold water. Then I season heavily, both inside and out, as I only do a large 20 to 23 LB turkey. I keep it simple salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. My dad used to joke that all my big cuts of meat looked like I dragged them through the dirt, attesting to how heavily I season big cuts of meat. Then onto my pit, I welded a large charcoal basket, that I fill up with regular charcoal, like Kingsford. I’ve tried hardwood firewood and lump and with my pit, I’ve found that regular store bought charcoal briquettes works best and once the basket is full I get about 11 to 12 hour burn. I barbecue at 225 and utilize a digital thermometer inside the pit and one in the meat. I spray the turkey with extra virgin olive oil every hour. I put the thermometer prob in the thickest part of the breast and remove it to rest when the temperature hits 172, this assures the breast will remain very moist. I let it rest for 20 minutes and proceed to carve. The flavor and moistness you get from this method is indescribable. And the turkey’s transformation, compared to doing the exact same method, in the oven is to die for.
The big problem wild turkeys pose vs store bought is fat content and water added. You got a lot less cooking leeway with a wild bird. Unless you are big on presentation of the whole bird, I find spatchcocking gets a better cook.

@WexfordWarrior I have the Thermoworks monitor and about 5 or 6 thermopens, but after I got the Meater probes, I never pull the Thermoworks monitor out of the drawer. It is so freaking easy to use. Still use the Thermopens all the time.

I love my Meater thermometer!
what_she_said_office.gif

I'll start this thread for everything grilling, BBQ, and smoking. Recipes, tips and tricks for better results, and questions on what to get and how to cook it. Post away everyone.
If you want brisket but don’t feel like paying an obscene brisket price, I’ve turned to smoking Chuck roasts and they turn out fabulously.

@WexfordWarrior I am thinking about getting this unit for the cottage. I have the XL BGE at home. Bad or good idea in your opinion?

That thing is massive. It should make large cooks a lot easier. I actually was looking at rec tec and yoder. Both good brands. Rec tec has a good warranty which is important when dealing with Chinese steel. I had bought a silver back grill from grilla grills. Unbeknowst to me they had started sourcing their steel from China. Sure enough my heat deflecter and hood/door both became warped. They replaced both (from a different supplier) with no further problems. As with all pellet grills use only high quality all wood pellets. It says the BFG can fit a 130# hog or 15 Briskets. Way too big for me.

Last edited:
If you want brisket but don’t feel like paying an obscene brisket price, I’ve turned to smoking Chuck roasts and they turn out fabulously.
I've done a couple London broils. They're tough to do cause they are so lean and dry up easily, but cook quickly. I have been eyeing up chuck roasts. Now that winter is over, I will give them a shot.

That thing is massive. It should make large cooks a lot easier. I actually was looking at rec tec and yoder. Both good brands. Rec tec has a good warranty which is important when dealing with Chinese steel. I had bought a silver back grill from grilla grills. Unbenowst to me they had started sourcing their steel from China. Sure enough my heat deflecter and hood/door both became warped. They replaced both (from a different supplier) with no further problems. As with all pellet grills use only high quality all wood pellets. It says the BFG can fit a 130# hog or 15 Briskets. Way too big for me.
He is inviting BWI and Hawkeye Report for a cookout. All of them.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
That thing is massive. It should make large cooks a lot easier. I actually was looking at rec tec and yoder. Both good brands. Rec tec has a good warranty which is important when dealing with Chinese steel. I had bought a silver back grill from grilla grills. Unbenowst to me they had started sourcing their steel from China. Sure enough my heat deflecter and hood/door both became warped. They replaced both (from a different supplier) with no further problems. As with all pellet grills use only high quality all wood pellets. It says the BFG can fit a 130# hog or 15 Briskets. Way too big for me.
I got an OK Joe's that will fit 9 racks of baby back ribs. No problems with the steel on mine, other than surface rust and peeling paint. I tend to forget to cover it, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I plan on painting it this fall.

Reactions: PASLP2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT