ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Question, I am planning on smoking cooper sharp cheese. Should I vac pack after smoking or let it sit in a fridge for a day before vac packing? I read one online recipe that said to let it sit. Thoughts from any experts?
Awesome!!
I let it sit in the fridge for a day before vac packing. Then let it sit for 2 weeks before opening.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Scrap the apple wood and go with hickory on your next attempt.
I'm trying to ease my one-time vegetarian of a wife into this, so have been leaning towards "least offensive smoke" profiles. But I really want to try Hickory & Pecan. Is Peach any good? Is it about pairing the wood to the meat/cut?

Reactions: hlstone
I'm trying to ease my one-time vegetarian of a wife into this, so have been leaning towards "least offensive smoke" profiles. But I really want to try Hickory & Pecan. Is Peach any good? Is it about pairing the wood to the meat/cut?
Peach is great for anything but beef.
Hickory and Mesquite are good with beef.

These are the combo's I prefer;
Pork: fruit woods. Apple or cherry
Chicken: fruit woods. Cherry first
Cheese: Nut woods, pecan first
Duck: fruit woods. Love apple with duck!
Beef: hard woods. Mesquite, hickory.

I put milk on my son’s cereal today and he loved it.💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
giphy.gif

Yes, it is about pairing the wood to meat. I'm no expert, but I know what I like and I don't like fruit wood smoked meat. I use primarily hickory, oak, mesquite and will occasionally use maple as it's very mild compared to the other three, imo. I'll often mix hickory and oak and call it "mixed hardwoods" if someone asks. One thing is certain, the type of wood used can completely change the flavor. I've never smoked cheese so I don't have a recommendation.

I also don't keep meats on wood for long. I like to bring a lot of smoke for a short period (30 - 45 minutes) and shut that part of the process down but again, I've never smoked cheese.

Here are some of my favorites:

Fresh ham - mesquite
Beef - hickory and/or oak
Turkey - mesquite
Chicken - hickory
Pork Chops/roasts/ribs - hickory and/or oak

Reactions: nerfstate
Yes, it is about pairing the wood to meat. I'm no expert, but I know what I like and I don't like fruit wood smoked meat. I use primarily hickory, oak, mesquite and will occasionally use maple as it's very mild compared to the other three, imo. I'll often mix hickory and oak and call it "mixed hardwoods" if someone asks. One thing is certain, the type of wood used can completely change the flavor. I've never smoked cheese so I don't have a recommendation.

I also don't keep meats on wood for long. I like to bring a lot of smoke for a short period (30 - 45 minutes) and shut that part of the process down but again, I've never smoked cheese.

Fresh ham - mesquite
Turkey - mesquite
Chicken - hickory
I use hickory and oak for everything. I like a strong smoke profile. Plus it's what is convenient for me to get.

Fresh ham - mesquite
Turkey - mesquite
Chicken - hickory
Thanks--yeah, especially w/ Kamado grills, you definitely have to be very judicious in your use of wood, or so I've been told. I had a single chunk in my lump bed to start and added a second one an hour in. I liked the apple fine, but am looking forward to further experiments.

A friend that smokes a lot of cheese says he uses apple, 2-4 hours of cold smoke depending on smoke intensity preference.

I will probably do some tomorrow. Maybe I will take some off at 2, 3, and 4 hours to assess the difference.

He normally does 40 lbs at a time. I’ll start with 5.

A friend that smokes a lot of cheese says he uses apple, 2-4 hours of cold smoke depending on smoke intensity preference.

I will probably do some tomorrow. Maybe I will take some off at 2, 3, and 4 hours to assess the difference.

He normally does 40 lbs at a time. I’ll start with 5.
Going to Shiffs for the cooper?

Today, I did 2 cooks on the Kamado--smoked 2 alaskan sockeye salmon fillets at 150 for 2 hours (after a dry brine overnight), and then reverse seared (250) some prime ribeyes with grill-baked potatoes for dinner. Definitely starting to get the hang of dialing in the desired temps. What a great, flexible piece of kit the Kamado Joe is. Really enjoying it.

Giant has their Rib Roasts on sale starting tomorrow for $5.99/lb starting tomorrow in the Harrisburg area. Some areas will have lower pricing. Go get-em guys. You'll need to grab the coupon found in the flyer which are available in the lobby's as you enter the store.

EDIT: I just checked and the roasts are $4.97/lb in Philadelphia

Last edited:
Reactions: PASLP2
I got tomorrow off for grading, before Spring Break next week. Gonna cook up some chili to end this cold weather and smoke a brisket tomorrow...

So, I get my meat directly from the butcher, as my buddy farms. I let my brisket thaw a bit, and I've noticed some dark spots on the fat cap. It looks not great, but it hasn't left the wrapping/freezer/fridge. I read on google a bit that its semi-normal... Wondering if anybody else has input?

Its not as big as a full brisket, but it's not thin, so I'm assuming it is either tiny or a "point". Gonna give that a run on a pecan/hickory/mesquite blend tomorrow.

RUMSPRINGA!

I wouldn't worry, probably just some myoglobin, oxidation from freezing and thawing. I'm smoking my 1st pork shoulder of the year tomorrow. Good luck.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Giant has their Rib Roasts on sale starting tomorrow for $5.99/lb starting tomorrow in the Harrisburg area. Some areas will have lower pricing. Go get-em guys. You'll need to grab the coupon found in the flyer which are available in the lobby's as you enter the store.

I see ~60-day dry aged beef in my future.

9.99lb here in Charlotte, NC

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Tri tip love? I haven’t read the whole thread , but why don’t we have many butchers offering this cut in Pa.? I buy mine online from Snake River Farms but cannot find any at local butchers ( eastern Pa.)

My friends from the west coast introduced me to it and I love it, but I wish I could get it from a local guy even though the SRF cuts are great.

Tri tip love? I haven’t read the whole thread , but why don’t we have many butchers offering this cut in Pa.? I buy mine online from Snake River Farms but cannot find any at local butchers ( eastern Pa.)

My friends from the west coast introduced me to it and I love it, but I wish I could get it from a local guy even though the SRF cuts are great.
There are some posts on tri tips. I have a local butcher that carries them. They are one of my favorites.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
There are some posts on tri tips. I have a local butcher that carries them. They are one of my favorites.
I’ll have to do some due diligence and check them out. I personally trim them, rub them with trager beef rub, cook to 110 on the trager then sear for app 3-4 minutes a side on my Weber at high heat.

They’re always on point.

I’ll have to do some due diligence and check them out. I personally trim them, rub them with trager beef rub, cook to 110 on the trager then sear for app 3-4 minutes a side on my Weber at high heat.

They’re always on point.
I trim the cap if needed. Score it heavily. Simple salt and pepper rub. Smoke to medium rare over hickory.

Reactions: Creek Side

The grocery stores near me (Harrisburg area) have them quite often. If yours don't, ask them to order some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT