ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Cooked a cap of ribeye for Easter. I rolled it and tied it , salt and pepper seasoned, cooked it to 122 internal temperature in my trager. I seared it for 8 minutes on the Weber then let it rest for ten minutes before cutting it in steak slices.
I loved it this way but I think I might cook them like steaks next time instead of like a roast .
Where did you get the ribcap?
One thought is to slice and then sear, though you can also slice first like you suggested.
My absolute favorite part of the cow .... the ribcap.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Where did you get the ribcap?
One thought is to slice and then sear, though you can also slice first like you suggested.
My absolute favorite part of the cow .... the ribcap.
Snake River Farms , online. It came out great doing it like a roast. But maybe next time I'll prep it till it up and tie it , then cut for steaks . Either way it was a great cut, great flavor, very tender .

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
Any good suggestions for a pork belly and a very large sirloin??? I got somewhat of a plan for a belly, but no clue for the sirloin.

Not BBQ, but tried my hand at the Iowa Pork Tenderloin sandwich Sunday. Turned out pretty damn good. I did one my style with roasted red peppers marinated in olive oil and garlic on Italian Bread.
The I had a traditional style on a roll with pickle slices and mustard. I have to admit, the pickle slices and mustard was pretty damn good. Like a mid-western Cuban sandwich.

Not BBQ, but tried my hand at the Iowa Pork Tenderloin sandwich Sunday. Turned out pretty damn good. I did one my style with roasted red peppers marinated in olive oil and garlic on Italian Bread.
The I had a traditional style on a roll with pickle slices and mustard. I have to admit, the pickle slices and mustard was pretty damn good. Like a mid-western Cuban sandwich.
Is that maple syrup or 🥃 Bourbon in the top left of the pic?

Well I got my Meater probe, charged, and ready to go. Currently got a 4 lb sirloin tip roast set for 145.

The Meater cook temp is far lower than my smoker thermometer. Although my smoker thermometers might need calibrated.

I like all the options to help set up your cook. And the time estimates.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Well I got my Meater probe, charged, and ready to go. Currently got a 4 lb sirloin tip roast set for 145.

The Meater cook temp is far lower than my smoker thermometer. Although my smoker thermometers might need calibrated.

I like all the options to help set up your cook. And the time estimates.
Well the sirloin tip roast turned out excellent. Perfect medium at 145 degrees. Smoked for 4 hours using hickory and lump charcoal. Highly recommended that cut for those that like brisket but don't want the huge cut of meat. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and light garlic and onion powder.

The Meater app also gives you a rest time, which is nice. Easy cleanup too.

Tritip on the menu. @Idahopennstatefan

santa-maria-tri-tip-usda-choice-005_900x900.jpg

Anyone with GMG pellet grill experience? I've cooked a lot in it and have been fairly impressed so far over the last year that I've had it. Last weekend I smoked the first brisket in it and it was a 9lb flat at 250 degrees. I was shocked when I hit an internal temp of 203 in 5 1/2 hours. We weren't eating until much later in the afternoon so I had to rest in for about 5 hours.
It was good tasting and good texture but not the excellent quality that I was shooting for. The 250 degree temperature of the grill was right on as I verified it using different thermometers throughout the entire cook and the same with the internal temperature. It was a choice cut of meat since that's all I could get ahold of and I actually injected it with wagyu fat to try and make up for the lack of marbling which I had never done before. Anyone use a pellet smoker and know why it may have cooked so fast?

Last edited:
Anyone with GMG pellet grill experience? I've cooked a lot in it and have been fairly impressed so far over the last year that I've had it. Last weekend I smoked the first brisket in it and it was a 9lb flat at 250 degrees. I was shocked when I hit an internal temp of 203 in 5 1/2 hours. We weren't eating until much later in the afternoon so I had to rest in for about 5 hours.
It was good tasting and good texture but not the excellent quality that I was shooting for. The 250 degree temperature of the grill was right on as I verified it using different thermometers throughout the entire cook and the same with the internal temperature. It was a choice cut of meat since that's all I could get ahold of and I actually injected it with wagyu fat to try and make up for the lack of marbling which I had never done before. Anyone use a pellet smoker and know why it may have cooked so fast?

did you wrap it?

"It was good tasting and good texture". So what was wrong with it? I have found that pellet grills usually have hot spots near the pellet pot. Good idea to rotate your brisket. Use peach paper instead of foil. And never ever use Memphis Dust as your rub. And remember the advice below.

10099964-801b-45a3-b687-a11f8cba602f_text.gif

2452ec9e-073f-4d4f-8efc-6a1fe2e9e8d3_text.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SpikingWhamos
"It was good tasting and good texture". So what was wrong with it? I have found that pellet grills usually have hot spots near the pellet pot. Good idea to rotate your brisket. Use peach paper instead of foil. And never ever use Memphis Dust as your rub. And remember the advice below.

10099964-801b-45a3-b687-a11f8cba602f_text.gif

2452ec9e-073f-4d4f-8efc-6a1fe2e9e8d3_text.gif

I strive for great when it comes to my food especially bbq, everyone else can stick to making just good food 🙂. The heavier fat deposits that I left about 1/4" thick were soft and edible but not broken down to be buttery like I'm used to. The only thing I can think of would be how quickly it cooked. I will try cooking around the edges of the grate and rotating next time. Could've been the cut of meat but I've cooked choice many times before and never had issues. Just salt, pepper, and a little garlic for my brisket. I save all the fancy rubs for pork.

Some people in Texas say:
full-19470-296683-192216996_1884737791706293_6076995208345957956_n.jpg

If they are eating bags of those, I don't think I'd trust them to cook me anything...
I'm not an Iowa fan ffs..

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
My dad has a Green Mountain. I wrote a semi review earlier in this thread.

This summer dad got a fairly large pig. He took the front and back legs off for hams, etc. For a party, he stuffed the middle (loins and belly mostly) with homemade kielbasa, seasoned, and smoked it. It was absolutely fantastic but took me a while to break down and slice.

Reactions: Creek Side
Cooked for a couple parties over the weekend. 85 plus people for 2 first nights. Kept it simple with pulled pork, tater salad, broccoli/cauliflower salad and pumpkin roll for dessert. Tried a new Carolina sauce to go with my maple/vinegar/apple sauce. Second night went a little bigger and mixed cultures. Snake River Farms tri tips and jambalaya.

Saturday I'm making tacos and street corn for about 35. Grilled shrimp and well, a 55 pound piggy.
I may even put some Memphis Dust on that sucker just to make @WexfordWarrior happy. I usually save it for the brisket.
giphy.gif

Saturday I'm making tacos and street corn for about 35. Grilled shrimp and well, a 55 pound piggy.
I may even put some Memphis Dust on that sucker just to make @WexfordWarrior happy. I usually save it for the brisket.
giphy.gif
That makes me hungry. This set up is very close to my preferred method. I like the overall flavor of the buried Hawaiian pit(Kalua Pork), but using a spit is a breeze as long as you truss it good and tight.

c2465d369d632df27db442270d06cab3--brick-grill-gangsta-grillz.jpg

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT