ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Smoked turkey gravy sounds good, but it's not. For this reason I stopped smoking my turkey at Thanksgiving and roast it on a wire rack in a roasting pan. The wire rack allows the drippings to brown which gives up the best gravy, imo.

Pro tip for mashed potatoes. My family likes them creamy, not lumpy, which is hard to do. First thing is to dig out every "eye" in the potatoes as each eye will be a lump that no amount of processing will get rid of. Next tip is to make them a few days before Thanksgiving, leaving out the sour cream, and freeze them. Yes, freeze the mashed potatoes. Freezing will break-up the small lumps that are usually present. On Thursday defrost in microwave, add sour cream, whip and transfer to a crock pot set on low. They'll be piping hot when it's time to eat.
My family likes mashed potatoes creamy as well. Something I learned from my grandmother that enhances the flavor and creaminess of mashed potatoes in addition to removing the eyes as you stated is to use some of the starch water the potatoes were boiled in addition to the milk. Additionally, if hand mashing, use a ricer instead of a typical potato masher.

Reactions: mcruny42
And I love little lumps in my mashed potatoes. Proof to each his own!
I think for me it is proof that they are real potatoes versus potato flakes! Lol

Reactions: PD4thespawn
On a serious Thanksgiving note. Red spuds make the best mash.
There are some called Belmonda that are a yellow potato that are my favorite for mashed or fried potatoes. They have a rich buttery flavor that is perfect with gravy. Another trick is to boil your potatoes in milk instead of water. Then not drain as much as of the milk when you mash directly. Super flavor... Trust the Idaho guy on this one.

My version of smoking a turkey it to make it a drunk bird. Equal parts butter, bourbon, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and inject the spatchcocked bird. I rub with kosher salt and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. Smoke with a apple or alder wood. I would avoid hickory, oak, mesquite or other strong woods. Keep it with the softer smoke. Take it to 150-155 at the breast. Pull from the heat and let rest covered 20-30 minutes. It will continue to cook over the next 30 minutes. My kids ask for drunk bird. Always fun to see the reactions of my more conservative family at this...

Reactions: CropDuster507
There are some called Belmonda that are a yellow potato that are my favorite for mashed or fried potatoes. They have a rich buttery flavor that is perfect with gravy. Another trick is to boil your potatoes in milk instead of water. Then not drain as much as of the milk when you mash directly. Super flavor... Trust the Idaho guy on this one.

I'll definitely be trying that out. Thx!

smoked 110 lbs of tri-tip last week. Farm Bureau banquet on Wednesday. Then a funeral luncheon on Saturday. I really didn't have time to do the funeral, had calve shipping and such but how do you say no to that one.

Have 6 pork butts to smoke on the 30th for a company Christmas party. (not my company) Pork Butts for 200 people for an FFA fundraiser dinner and auction on the 6th. Then the smoker will move to the big shed for the winter.

I am ready to put it away for 4 or 5 months. It has been a light year as I have learned to say NO. Only 1200 lbs will have passed through this year.

Folks...

Smoking a bird from my buddy's hobby farm on Thursday for a couple of the guys on the team I help with who can't make it home for Turkey Day. I did one last year for my ex and I and it came out pretty good, but looking for some second eyes, here.

Planning on brining Tuesday night with kosher salt, water, dark brown sugar, peprcorns, orange and/or lemon, garlic, thinking about some other herbs/onion, maybe apple cider. I'm all over the board here.

Wednesday evening, I plan on taking it out and letting the skin dry as long as i can. The current plan is to spatchcock at this point.

Thursday midday or so, throw it on the traeger. I have the ability to inject, but not sure if worth it or necessary after a day brine. I have an idea for a salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika rub (would sage be too much?). Haven't set a hard temp or type of pellet yet (interested in input, here). While it cooks, going to try to whip up some dressing in the oven (never tackled before) and some sort of easy, creamy potatoes. A dude on youtube made confit garlic and that looked wild.

I've never made gravy before, and I want to try. I've never even made a roux, but the kitchen gives me a focus outside of the wrestling room. Here's some of my questions: First, would it be worth it to throw my wire rack on a roasting pan instead of a flat, shallow rimmed sheet pan to catch drippings? Or would the shallow rimmed pan be enough? I've also looked into adding celery/carrot/liquid to roasting pan under turkey? Is there any merit in trying to make stock from the spine that got spatchcocked out?

Turkey, Gravy, Dressing, Potatoes, and Christmas Ale (for me, only).

I realize that's a lot. Any little inputs are welcome on part/all of my silly questions.

Happy Thanksgiving, Pilgrims.
I got a correction from my previous post. We bought a pre packaged herb mix for the turkey. It included both sage and rosemary. I usually don't use them together.

From someone that buys lots and lots of steel, US steel is not even close to being the best in the world. That would come from Japan. And coincidentally, they make the best knives too.
I have purchased many knives from Koki.

I recommend this as a starter set:

I bought my son and sol some of the blue-cloud knives. They love them and I'm thinking that they'll need to be sharpened soon. Do you have any recommendations for a good value set a sharpening tools?

I bought my son and sol some of the blue-cloud knives. They love them and I'm thinking that they'll need to be sharpened soon. Do you have any recommendations for a good value set a sharpening tools?
I recommend getting a wet stone. Then you'll have to practice a little bit to get the hang of it.

Smoking a duck for the new gal over the Christmas holiday. Haven't gone down this path yet. Excited to see how that turns out.

Reactions: Split shot
I recommend getting a wet stone. Then you'll have to practice a little bit to get the hang of it.
Try a Lansky sharpener. It has a guide to hold the knife and control the angle of the stone. I love mine for sharpening all my knives.

Just here to brag about how awesome the Oaxacan yellow mole I just made is. It may be a relatively simple mole, but dang is it tasty when made with homemade chx bone broth. 🤤

I went shopping tonight and my local Giant Food Store has Prime Rib (actually Choice grade) on sale for $4.99/lb. That''s almost free. My store had two-rib, three-rib, and the full seven-rib roasts available. They have a coupon in their flyer which can be found in the lobby of the entrances. The seven-rib roasts were between 18-20 pounds each, so a full roast for less than $100!

Mine is in the downstairs fridge waiting for Christmas. I'll coat it in salt on the 24th and let it sit for 24 hours before roasting. The dog is going to be really happy.

I went shopping tonight and my local Giant Food Store has Prime Rib (actually Choice grade) on sale for $4.99/lb. That''s almost free. My store had two-rib, three-rib, and the full seven-rib roasts available. They have a coupon in their flyer which can be found in the lobby of the entrances. The seven-rib roasts were between 18-20 pounds each, so a full roast for less than $100!

Mine is in the downstairs fridge waiting for Christmas. I'll coat it in salt on the 24th and let it sit for 24 hours before roasting. The dog is going to be really happy.
Thanks for the heads up, my local store ad says $4.76!

It’s been a good year and if it continues for the next few weeks we will be splurging and perhaps treat ourselves.. wet cat food it is..
cat food 80s GIF

Caution: unless there was something special about it, the seven-rib roast available at my store was marked $15.49/lb.

Caution: unless there was something special about it, the seven-rib roast available at my store was marked $15.49/lb.
All the rib roasts had $15.99 marked with the orange color sale price tag above that at $8.99. You had to use the coupon from the flyer to get $4.99. As for the sever-rib roasts, since I'd never seen them in Giant before, I asked the person working the meat counter before purchasing.

Margaritas anyone? They don't smell, but they go great with things that do. Here’s my go to recipe that keeps it super simple:

2 oz Tequila Blanco
2 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
Splash of Simple Syrup
5 drops Orange Bitters
Agave Worm Salt

Throw some ice in a mixing tumbler, add the ingredients, except salt, & give it a good shake. Sprinkle some of the worm salt on top.

My tequila recommendation is Cazadores Blanco. For the ideal lime & lemon juice option try either Italian Volcano Juice or Ingrilli Juice. Both are fresh squeezed & add a slight smokey flavor to the lemon & lime. If you can’t find those the RealLemon/RealLime juice seems to be available almost anywhere. Any orange bitters will work & you don’t have to be that precise with it. 3-7 drops works just fine.

I don’t rim the glass with salt, but instead, sprinkle some of the worm salt on top of the drink. Then you’ll get a piece of the salt every once in a while, which will add a complementary & interesting flavor. My recommended salt is Gran Mitla Sal de Gusano (agave worm salt), which will add an interesting flavor to cooking dishes, as well.

Last edited:
Margarita’s anyone? They don't smell, but they go great with things that do. Here’s my go to recipe that keeps it super simple:

2 oz Tequila Blanco
2 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
Splash of Simple Syrup
5 drops Orange Bitters
Agave Worm Salt

Throw some ice in a mixing tumbler, add the ingredients, except salt, & give it a good shake. Sprinkle some of the worm salt on top.

My tequila recommendation is Cazadores Blanco. For the ideal lime & lemon juice option try either Italian Volcano Juice or Ingrilli Juice. Both are fresh squeezed & add a slight smokey flavor to the lemon & lime. If you can’t find those the RealLemon/RealLime juice seems to be available almost anywhere. Any orange bitters will work & you don’t have to be that precise with it. 3-7 drops works just fine.

I don’t rim the glass with salt, but instead, sprinkle some of the worm salt on top of the drink. Then you’ll get a piece of the salt every once in a while, which will add a complementary & interesting flavor. My recommended salt is Gran Mitla Sal de Gusano (agave worm salt), which will add an interesting flavor to cooking dishes, as well.
It’s a labor of love, but you can juice your own citrus too, I’ve learned to use the mexican style squeeze press juicers, which seem to extract some of the oil from the peel for extra flavor. If feeling extra fancy, I add some Grand Marnier to the mix as well.

Anybody got hints on duck? If I screw this up, she might discover what a fraud I am.

This is one of the recipes I use. It's a very simple recipe.

If you are using a smoker, stuff the duck with a half an orange and an onion, mix a cup of red wine and a shot of grand Marnier.

And use that to baste the bird every 30 mins. Smoking at 225 for 2:30. After that, put under the broiler until the skin is crisp. About 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Ok gang west coast choice rib roast is $5.79 with coupon, not to bad, but pretty much in line with our gas prices, those bastards. I ordered a 5 rib with a nice cap cut from the center. Two questions:

1). Anyone have a killer rub that gives that great flavorful crust? I was planning the butter, salt, pepper, garlic, and a couple of herbs, 'paste'.

2). I am planning on the 500 degree for 5 mins a pound then shut off the oven method. Any better suggestions for that perfect tender medium rare throughout?

So Mrs. IPSF played me and played me hard. (Get your minds out of the gutter you filthy ally cats.) Anyhow a year ago the bottom of my Green Mountain Grill fell out. It was done. The Mrs. said find a good one and get it. I looked at a couple Yoder smokers and decided that the 640S with the competition cart was plenty adequate. It would smoke plenty of meat for a medium sided group but small enough for a family gathering. All was well or so I thought. Several times over the summer I was asked to cater a wedding party or the like. I was able to batch the tri-tips and it all worked out. Not ideal but it allowed me to put limits on the size of groups I cooked for. Fast forward to November. My birthday coming up. The Mrs.'s says, "You really need to look at the bigger smoker." I'm like you are you and what did you do with my wife? She keeps at it over the next couple days. Then after about 2 weeks she says you need to drive to timbuktu on Saturday to pick up your new smoker. I am like well I guess I got a smoker for my birthday. I get home rig up the skidsteer loader to get it out of the truck the think unloaded. Weighs over 650 lbs and is a beast. No sooner than I get it unloaded and in the garage my wife says, I am in charge of the food for the church Christmas party. Now you have a bigger smoker you can do enough for the party. And that is how my wife played me. I'm not complaining mind you. I now have capacity to smoke 120 lbs of tri-tips in a single smoke. I can do 20 pork butts at a time now. I am not sure how many briskets but I am guessing 10-12 depending on size and trimming.

For Sunday's Christmas Eve meal I have a 12 lb USDA Prime prime rib roast ordered from the local meat shop. I told him I raise beef and I want a good. one. He cuts the ribs off and ties them back on. I'm looking forward to it.
Merry Christmas to you all!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT