ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Tomorrow's dinner I am making a low country boil. Shrimp, corn, baby potatoes, andouille sausage. Boil with water, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, onion, lemons.
Earlier this summer, a buddy of mine did a crawfish boil similar to that. It was pretty great! I've done low country boils like you described, but I usually throw crab legs and Old Bay in as well.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Earlier this summer, a buddy of mine did a crawfish boil similar to that. It was pretty great! I've done low country boils like you described, but I usually throw crab legs and Old Bay in as well.
We try to do one once a month. Im too lazy to peel shells off crab, and too be honest they just arent worth it IMO. Would rather load it up with scallops and a few shrimp. Discovered this summer that Smiths makes some of the best Andouille we’ve ever had. We use the old bay LCB packets on bottom then sprinkle even more on top. Amazing meal.

Since the convo went to peppers, you guys had candied jalapeños before? My nephew made some and I tried them for the first time a few weeks ago. I fell in love with these things. I bought a peck of jalapeños and made 12 jars of them and they are supposed to rest for two weeks but I couldn't resist and opened one yesterday. The recipe calls them cowboy candy. Yum.

Yes. I was playing the other day with what we have on-hand, so I made a “jam” from cornelian cherries from a few trees on our property, livened up with habaneros from my modest hot pepper pot garden. Really good complements.

Yes. I was playing the other day with what we have on-hand, so I made a “jam” from cornelian cherries from a few trees on our property, livened up with habaneros from my modest hot pepper pot garden. Really good complements.
Peaches seem to pair really well with hot peppers. The peach salsa my local orchard makes is fabulous

For those interested in low country boils, I more or less follow Katie Lee's recipe from the food network. Especially for the timing on when to add ingredients. My only change is I add the corn at the end. 8 minutes for boiling corn is way too long.

Also of note...

If you ever want to make your wife mad, refer to her as "the old goat".

Just make sure she doesn't have a heavy or sharp object nearby. Or hopefully she has a damn good sense of humor.

We always cooked corn along with taters and onions but yeah it makes sense that it wouldnt NEED as long. I want it in the seasoning longer is why I wont shorten it.

Anyone add garlic?

I do a seafood boil (no sausage) and it's real simple. Depending on the number of people eating, a tall pot relative to the diameter of the pot works best. Add a can of beer, add small (not baby) red and gold potatoes, topped with corn. The corn is now sitting on top of the potatoes so add a few tablespoons of old bay. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling add at least one cluster of large crab legs per person, eight of more little neck clams per person, and five or more very large shrimp. Try to pile the clams and shrimp so that they don't just fall into the beer. Add a lot of old bay as you are adding the seafood. Cover and when the clams are open you are ready to eat.

This method is boiling the potatoes, but steaming everything else. The tall pot helps to cluster the potatoes so that the corn does no fall into the beer. A couple of sweet onions in the beer is a good idea but not necessary. You may have to add another half can of beer while adding the seafood so judge for yourself. Have one open just in case. :)

I usually clean then soak the clams for several hours in cold salt water. Use sea salt or kosher salt, or any salt that doesn't have iodine added. You'll see the water get very murky/dirty as the clams purge themselves while soaking.

Last edited:
Tried all sorts of new stuff today. My brain is kinda like a flow chart, so I like to fill in things on taste/texture/smell and such.

First crack with mesquite blend pellets. Did two tri tips, one with regular Montreal and one with spicy Montreal seasoning. Seared off in the cast iron with butter, garlic and rosemary. I let them kinda dry brine over night, so a touch salty, but boy are they delicious.

Had to clear out room in the freezer for half a hog and a quarter beef. Decided to attempt some shredded arm Chuck roast. Smoked for roughly an hour and change. Threw it in a foil pan with onion, beef broth, serranos, garlic and a touch of hot taco sauce to braise.

I’m throwing shit at the wall, but it’s sticking, for the most part 😂

Tried all sorts of new stuff today. My brain is kinda like a flow chart, so I like to fill in things on taste/texture/smell and such.

First crack with mesquite blend pellets. Did two tri tips, one with regular Montreal and one with spicy Montreal seasoning. Seared off in the cast iron with butter, garlic and rosemary. I let them kinda dry brine over night, so a touch salty, but boy are they delicious.

Had to clear out room in the freezer for half a hog and a quarter beef. Decided to attempt some shredded arm Chuck roast. Smoked for roughly an hour and change. Threw it in a foil pan with onion, beef broth, serranos, garlic and a touch of hot taco sauce to braise.

I’m throwing shit at the wall, but it’s sticking, for the most part 😂
Montreal seasoning is very flavorful but will make food salty to most people if used heavily.

Tri tips are amazing cuts. Chuck roasts are also good on the smoker.

Keep up the good experiments. Sounds like you are really enjoying learning your new craft.

Reactions: hlstone
Montreal seasoning is very flavorful but will make food salty to most people if used heavily.

Tri tips are amazing cuts. Chuck roasts are also good on the smoker.

Keep up the good experiments. Sounds like you are really enjoying learning your new craft.
Yeah, I can echo the salty comment. Learned the difficult way ha. Still edible.

Reactions: hlstone
Smoked a tri-tip (salt, pepper, garlic) for dinner tonight, 225° for about an hour and a half. Pulled at 126° IT. Reverse seared in cast iron in garlic butter with some rosemary. Turned out perfect. Washing it all down with a glass of Maker's Mark 101 now and watching football. Great way to wind down the weekend!

I made some pulled pork today using 2 butts (6 & 7 lbs). But I ran into some odd issues.

First, decently long stalls at 140, 165, and 180. Then they just wouldn't go much past 190. Used my Meater probe and spot checked with insta-read.

Second, I got virtually no smoke penetration. So it's a bit bland.

The last 2 times I made pulled pork it came out fantastic. I did almost everything the same today.

The only difference was that I forgot to season them yesterday so I did it early this morning and let them set for a few hours. I usually season a minimum of overnight before cooking.

Anyone have any idea why i got no smoke penetration? Never had this happen before.

Any idea why I had 3 stalls? Only ever had one, maybe 2, in all my prior cooks of pork and beef. I'm guessing this one is due to a poorer quality cut. Although I didnt see anything that looked bad on them.

This is for a lunch party on Wednesday. Any idea of what I can do to add a little flavor to the pork? I have a couple bbq sauces ready but I will be serving plain, the people can choose what sauce they want. It will be heated in a crock pot.

I made some pulled pork today using 2 butts (6 & 7 lbs). But I ran into some odd issues.

First, decently long stalls at 140, 165, and 180. Then they just wouldn't go much past 190. Used my Meater probe and spot checked with insta-read.

Second, I got virtually no smoke penetration. So it's a bit bland.

The last 2 times I made pulled pork it came out fantastic. I did almost everything the same today.

The only difference was that I forgot to season them yesterday so I did it early this morning and let them set for a few hours. I usually season a minimum of overnight before cooking.

Anyone have any idea why i got no smoke penetration? Never had this happen before.

Any idea why I had 3 stalls? Only ever had one, maybe 2, in all my prior cooks of pork and beef. I'm guessing this one is due to a poorer quality cut. Although I didnt see anything that looked bad on them.

This is for a lunch party on Wednesday. Any idea of what I can do to add a little flavor to the pork? I have a couple bbq sauces ready but I will be serving plain, the people can choose what sauce they want. It will be heated in a crock pot.
Something different and assuming your crock pot isn't extremely large. Put a quart of chicken stock, 1/2 large sweet onion, 3 - 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 - 3 tablespoon McCormick Italian Seasoning, 2 teaspoons msg, a bunch of black pepper into a pot, heat to a simmer, and transfer into crock pot. Slice one pork butt about 3/16" or a bit thicker and add to the crock. When about 90 minutes from serving add the second half of the chopped onion and salt to taste.

Repeat for the other pork butt in a separate crock if necessary. If either crocks need more juice add some more stock or water and chicken bouillon. Any drippings you may have collected from your smoke today should go into the crocks.

No BBQ sauce will be required. Serve with potato rolls.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Something different and assuming your crock pot isn't extremely large. Put a quart of chicken stock, 1/2 large sweet onion, 3 - 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 - 3 tablespoon McCormick Italian Seasoning, 2 teaspoons msg, a bunch of black pepper into a pot, heat to a simmer, and transfer into crock pot. Slice one pork butt about 3/16" or a bit thicker and add to the crock. When about 90 minutes from serving add the second half of the chopped onion and salt to taste.

Repeat for the other pork butt in a separate crock if necessary. If either crocks need more juice add some more stock or water and chicken bouillon. Any drippings you may have collected from your smoke today should go into the crocks.

No BBQ sauce will be required. Serve with potato rolls.
I had already shredded the pork. But I did mix up some chicken stock with a little salt, pepper, garlic and onion. I mixed that with the meat. I think that should do the trick.

I made Conchinita Pibil over the weekend. No, I didn't use a whole hog, nor bury it--but it still came out pretty incredible. If you're looking for something new to try w/ pork, I'd highly recommend it. Just don't skip the pickled onions and habanero salsa.

Reactions: horraybeer
I made Conchinita Pibil over the weekend. No, I didn't use a whole hog, nor bury it--but it still came out pretty incredible. If you're looking for something new to try w/ pork, I'd highly recommend it. Just don't skip the pickled onions and habanero salsa.
Went to Yucatan with the wife and had traditional conchinita pibil. Great dish. 👍

Reactions: nerfstate
I use apple juice and vinegar as the base rather than chicken stock. Heat with seasonings. I try and avoid bbq sauce in the reheating. Just me.
I was cooking for coworkers so I tried to keep the pork as neutral as possible.

I made a Carolina mustard sauce and a Lexington sauce. Kept them on the side.

I didn't think about using apple juice during heating. That would have been good as well.

Just about all of the 13 lbs went.

Some Scottish Coos for the Taylor ranch. Good times! Nothing like animals to help raise kids.

Gearing up to cater a wedding Saturday. Keeping it simple. Tri-tips, beans, dutch oven potatoes, and rolls. The family is doing the other stuff. Should be a fun time. Only 100-110 people.

Anyone have a Big Green Egg? Thinking pretty hard about getting one, love the proported versatility. What should I conisder? I'm thinking of going w/ the medium--we pretty rarely entertain these days, so that isn't a huge consideration.

These are a green egg knock off or improvement. I love the BGE for small groups. It's limitations for me is when I am feeding 100 plus it just isn't big enough. They do a great job though.

Folks...

Smoking a bird from my buddy's hobby farm on Thursday for a couple of the guys on the team I help with who can't make it home for Turkey Day. I did one last year for my ex and I and it came out pretty good, but looking for some second eyes, here.

Planning on brining Tuesday night with kosher salt, water, dark brown sugar, peprcorns, orange and/or lemon, garlic, thinking about some other herbs/onion, maybe apple cider. I'm all over the board here.

Wednesday evening, I plan on taking it out and letting the skin dry as long as i can. The current plan is to spatchcock at this point.

Thursday midday or so, throw it on the traeger. I have the ability to inject, but not sure if worth it or necessary after a day brine. I have an idea for a salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika rub (would sage be too much?). Haven't set a hard temp or type of pellet yet (interested in input, here). While it cooks, going to try to whip up some dressing in the oven (never tackled before) and some sort of easy, creamy potatoes. A dude on youtube made confit garlic and that looked wild.

I've never made gravy before, and I want to try. I've never even made a roux, but the kitchen gives me a focus outside of the wrestling room. Here's some of my questions: First, would it be worth it to throw my wire rack on a roasting pan instead of a flat, shallow rimmed sheet pan to catch drippings? Or would the shallow rimmed pan be enough? I've also looked into adding celery/carrot/liquid to roasting pan under turkey? Is there any merit in trying to make stock from the spine that got spatchcocked out?

Turkey, Gravy, Dressing, Potatoes, and Christmas Ale (for me, only).

I realize that's a lot. Any little inputs are welcome on part/all of my silly questions.

Happy Thanksgiving, Pilgrims.

Folks...

Smoking a bird from my buddy's hobby farm on Thursday for a couple of the guys on the team I help with who can't make it home for Turkey Day. I did one last year for my ex and I and it came out pretty good, but looking for some second eyes, here.

Planning on brining Tuesday night with kosher salt, water, dark brown sugar, peprcorns, orange and/or lemon, garlic, thinking about some other herbs/onion, maybe apple cider. I'm all over the board here.

Wednesday evening, I plan on taking it out and letting the skin dry as long as i can. The current plan is to spatchcock at this point.

Thursday midday or so, throw it on the traeger. I have the ability to inject, but not sure if worth it or necessary after a day brine. I have an idea for a salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, smoked paprika rub (would sage be too much?). Haven't set a hard temp or type of pellet yet (interested in input, here). While it cooks, going to try to whip up some dressing in the oven (never tackled before) and some sort of easy, creamy potatoes. A dude on youtube made confit garlic and that looked wild.

I've never made gravy before, and I want to try. I've never even made a roux, but the kitchen gives me a focus outside of the wrestling room. Here's some of my questions: First, would it be worth it to throw my wire rack on a roasting pan instead of a flat, shallow rimmed sheet pan to catch drippings? Or would the shallow rimmed pan be enough? I've also looked into adding celery/carrot/liquid to roasting pan under turkey? Is there any merit in trying to make stock from the spine that got spatchcocked out?

I realize that's a lot. Any little inputs are welcome on part/all of my silly questions.

"I have the ability to inject, but not sure if worth it or necessary"

beavis-and-butt-head-laughing.gif

Folks...

On a serious Thanksgiving note. Red spuds make the best mash.

Smoked turkey gravy sounds good, but it's not. For this reason I stopped smoking my turkey at Thanksgiving and roast it on a wire rack in a roasting pan. The wire rack allows the drippings to brown which gives up the best gravy, imo.

Pro tip for mashed potatoes. My family likes them creamy, not lumpy, which is hard to do. First thing is to dig out every "eye" in the potatoes as each eye will be a lump that no amount of processing will get rid of. Next tip is to make them a few days before Thanksgiving, leaving out the sour cream, and freeze them. Yes, freeze the mashed potatoes. Freezing will break-up the small lumps that are usually present. On Thursday defrost in microwave, add sour cream, whip and transfer to a crock pot set on low. They'll be piping hot when it's time to eat.

Reactions: CropDuster507
If you are set on smoking I doubt you will get much in the way of usable drippings. However, making stock with the spine, neck, heart and gizzards, and S+P is a no-brainer. I make mine in a taller, maybe 6-quart, pot Bring to a boil then slow simmer for several hours. Add a little water as it evaporates. You can add a few chicken or beef bullion cubes to add additional flavor to your liking. I've sometimes added a can of beef broth to the mix to make it stronger.

I picked up a 6 lb chicken roaster last week to maker tenders for a chicken divan and trimmings for a ziplock of stir fry meat for the freezer. Leg quarters & wings went in the freezer, too. Everything else went in a pot for homemade chicken soup. After simmering, the stock was strained through a fine strainer. Larger pieces of meat went back in the pot along with a few celery tops and small carrots. What was left of the gizzards and little shreds of meat become gourmet pet food. After the carrots had cooked and softened added some wide egg noodles. No waste from that bird except a few bones.

Folks...

I would think sage would be too much, but that's just my opinion. It's a pretty strong herb.

I'd go apple or some similar fruit wood for pellets. If you are cooking it all the way in the smoker, strong woods like hickory will likely overpower any turkey flavor.

I haven't made gravy out of smoked drippings, so I can't comment here.

Gravy is not hard to make. But you need to be attentive to it. Once you add flour to the butter for the roux, you need to keep stirring otherwise it will scorch. Even after you add your stock, it needs pretty much constant stirring. Otherwise the thickened parts will settle on the bottom of the pot and scorch.

Look back on this thread to this time last year for some more ideas.

Reactions: CropDuster507
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT