ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Visiting Denver, what to do with a couple afternoons

wbcincy

Apr 4, 2003
Columbus
Going to be visiting Colorado for a few days for the first time in June and am hoping I'll have an afternoon or two free. Going to be staying near Civic Center park downtown. Just wondering from those familiar with or from the area what a couple must-dos are for myself and a colleague when we have some free time.

This can either be places to eat/drink downtown, or places to visit outside town. We're both relatively fit and enjoy hiking, drinking, eating, places of historical significance, architecture, etc.

@BoulderFish

Last edited:
Reminds me of a song :

I was working on a steak the other day
When I saw Waddy in the Rattlesnake Cafe
Dressed in black, tossing back a shot of Rye
Finding things to do in Denver when you die

Warren Zevon , Things to do in Denver ( when you’re dead )

Going to be visiting Colorado for a few days for the first time in June and am hoping I'll have an afternoon or two free. Going to be staying near Civic Center park downtown. Just wondering from those familiar with or from the area what a couple must-dos are for myself and a colleague when we have some free time.

This can either be places to eat/drink downtown, or places to visit outside town. We're both relatively fit and enjoy hiking, drinking, eating, places of historical significance, architecture, etc.

@BoulderFish
Don't know if these are must-dos because I am thinking of them off the top of my head but I've always liked the Denver Botanical Garden. If you are interested in gardens and plants, and I am, it's worth checking out. If you're not...well it's a lot of gardens and plants. If you are around Civic Center Park around lunchtime Tuesday-Thursday and don't want another another meal at a sit down restaurant walk to the middle of the park where there will be a ton of food trucks. You'll find something you like. This isn't necessarily a go out of my way thing but if you find yourself near Union Station, near the end of the 16th street mall, the Terminal Bar has a wide selection of Colorado craft brews.
https://www.terminalbardenver.com/draft-beers-and-cocktails/

Reactions: wbcincy
Larimer Beer Hall is the PSU bar in Denver, and it’s downtown off Larimer and 20th. Good place for happy hour. 2 for 1 drafts from 4-7pm during happy hour.

@BoulderFish
Been working downtown for about seven years, here's some of my favorite restaurants. Panzano (17th/Champa), Blue Sushi (16th/Wazee), Guard and Grace (18th/Cal; my office building), or for outdoor drinking near the Rockies try View House/Lodos/Tavern. Free bus across town on 18/19th, less sketchy types than the 16th mall bus. Enjoy.

Reactions: wbcincy and LionJim
Maybe start a home and home sprint challenge with coolestfish?

Reactions: Fac

@BoulderFish
Being from Pittsburgh, go to John Elway's house, and thank him for keeping the Browns from getting to the Super Bowl back in the '90's.

Check out Red Rock. Maybe a 30 minute drive from downtown then shoot over to a charming little town of Golden.

I'm not much for cities, so I'd definitely say hop on I-70 and "Go west young man." The Mt. Evans suggestion was a good one. If you're flying in, watch for the prairie dogs in the area around the airport.

Reactions: PSJimbo and wbcincy
I second making a stop in Golden. Nice little town at the edge of the mountains. Coors brewery is there. They do a “short” and “long” tour. The “short” tour goes straight to the tap room for 3 free beers. Usually they’ll have some beers that they’re testing and haven’t been released yet.

Colorado Springs is a short trip to the south. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods are two good spots to check out just so you can say you’ve been there

Mt. Evans and Red Rocks are two great suggestions. Another one is go northwest and check out city of Boulder and Boulder Canyon.

Take in a Rockies game if they are in town, beautiful ballpark and great area (LoDo) around the park.

Mt. Evans is a good suggestion. There is an alpine lake with parking along the road to the top. It's above the tree line and you won't see anything like it east of the Mississippi. If you don't want to drive that far but want to get outdoors consider Roxborough State Park and hike around the rocks of the Morrison formation. Call ahead to check on parking because the website says their biggest parking lot is closed.
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/roxborough

@BoulderFish

An eightball and 2 hookers

I

@BoulderFish

I would recommend Red Rocks St. Park.
Some great hiking trials. I suggest the Red Rocks Trail.
https://www.colorado.com/articles/red-rocks-amphitheatre-5-things-see-do

Reactions: wbcincy and PSJimbo
I know you’re looking for ‘new’ things, but well known/award winning NYC cocktail bar Death & Company just opened inside the Ramble Hotel (Death & Co Denver, 1280 25th St, Denver, CO 80205). Nice place for a drink especially if you can’t get to the original in Manhattan.

Since no one else has recommended it, the Fort for eating.
A great suggestion, but I was under the impression that wbcincy was only interested in things in close proximity to his downtown hotel. If he has a rental car, the Fort and Red Rocks would be my suggestions as well.

If you are an east coast guy I would suggest 3 things that are unique to the area:

—Central City. Touristy, but a fun to visit wild west town.

—Canon city bridge. Near colorado springs. Bridge you can walk over very high above the arkansas river. None like it in eastern US

—ride thru rocky mountain national park. Beatiful. Go slow and take in the wonder of it

If you are an east coast guy I would suggest 3 things that are unique to the area:

—Central City. Touristy, but a fun to visit wild west town.

—Canon city bridge. Near colorado springs. Bridge you can walk over very high above the arkansas river. None like it in eastern US

—ride thru rocky mountain national park. Beatiful. Go slow and take in the wonder of it
That's the Royal Gouge Bridge and you can drive across it if you get there before the park opens. In 15 i drove across, parked, then walked across and back then drove back across. You can also zip line across.

I second making a stop in Golden. Nice little town at the edge of the mountains. Coors brewery is there. They do a “short” and “long” tour. The “short” tour goes straight to the tap room for 3 free beers. Usually they’ll have some beers that they’re testing and haven’t been released yet.

Colorado Springs is a short trip to the south. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods are two good spots to check out just so you can say you’ve been there
If you’re going to do Colorado Springs, also check out the US Airforce Academy. The Cadet Chapel is beautiful.

I'll echo the zoo and a Rockies game. I would have liked to have toured the Mint, but it was closed the day I was in downtown Denver (my conference was out near Aurora). The zoo currently holds one of the elephants born at the Columbus Zoo, Bodhi.

Do be careful with alcohol the first day or two there--the altitude affects one's reaction to it. I also found I was a little short of breath the first day and then I adjusted.

Definitely get into the Mountains if possible. Downtown Denver itself is still on the plains, it's NOT a mountain city. Need to go 30 minutes west to hit the actual mountains.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT