ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

full agreement. everybody will get exposed to this virus by end of 2022. get the boosters out to those who need it to try and keep the vulnerable as safe as possible. get that 5-11 group eligible as fast as possible. CDC and Admin should be SCREAMING from the mountaintop for people to get healthy as literally we are talking life and death type situation and if that isn't going to get you to watch what you eat and exercise a little, to stop smoking, to figure out your health better, then that is on you. but the message should be loud and clear to get healthy as this isn't going away and that science might not be fast enough to keep up with the evolution of this virus.

and yes, the USA should be pushing along with Europe, Korea, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, etc...for a worldwide deep investigation of Wuhan lab and what was going on there. need to figure out the truth to try and be able to stop this thing.
Accountability must be as administered to China for lack of transparency.

This paragraph makes zero sense. We are now, Terri years in, changing the way we count deaths???
The one-day jump in the number of reported cases and deaths comes amid a change in the way deaths and cases are counted. The change was implemented by the CDC last week, resulting in occasional one-day aberrations like the 799 deaths reported on Thursday.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253612503.html#storylink=cpy

read on.... CDC responding to a change made by FL.

It’s pretty clear he said Trump followers, not Trump.
Well. "Trump/Fox/ONN" doesn't seem like that means followers. If it did isn't the list a bit redundant? Finally and I have asked this repeatedly Trump had Covid so he had antibodies, when Trump was in the hospital he received mono clonal antibodies. Despite a double dose of antibodies he went and got vaccinated as soon as he was eligible. Why in the world would someone who "followed Trump" decide against vaccinations? Makes no sense.

Fake news. Before covid the biggest anti vax people were Hollywood elites. Today it is younger people, African Americans, Hispanics, college kids. Hardly the trump core support. Furthermore Trump tried to take credit for the vaccine. Why would he discredit something he’d tried To take credit for???

makes zero sense.
How come he hid the fact he got the vaccine for 2 months? I'll wait for a rational response on that and let you spin that up as good leadership. There are groups of people on the left and right not getting it....this idea that isn't true is a joke. It's not a mystery, that is what is actually occurring in this country. These 2 sh!t parties and sh!t leaders in them have done a great job creating partisan freaks that do not care about anyone that doesn't think exactly like they do. It's an American problem, but people have issues calling their own out....ON BOTH SIDES.

Last edited:
Six months ago we didn’t have Delta, now, with 98.8%of infections being that variant, different ballgame. Six months ago it may have been OK for only the infirm and compromised to get vaccinated, now. Different ballgame. Delta doesn’t care as much about age and health status as Alpha. That’s become pretty obvious.

Feels good to be vaxxed doesn't it! Feels good to encourage unvaxxed folks you know to consult their physician as well!

That's a reasonable perspective...which doesn't contradict anything in my post.

What most definitely does NOT feel good...and glaringly contradicts the ongoing experience of countries like Israel, Iceland, and the UK...is the scapegoating and demonization of people who haven't been vaccinated.

One thing we know about our supposed Best and Brightest: when they're wrong, which happens with regularity, they don't learn from their errors but rather double down on them.

The article is behind a paywall, so I dont know the details of this article.

But I am aware of Delta surges in Israel.

Consider the following:

1) I'm guessing you were trying to be ironic asking whether Israelis' biology may be different than ours. But Israel IS a much more homogeneous society than is US. Just off the top of my head, the following conditions are more common in Israel than US--BRCA1/2; Gaucher's disease, cystic fibrosis, Tay Sachs disease.

Here is a summary of a very recent study from 14 million people in the US. Vaccines remain our very best realistic hope of preventing serious illness and spread of disease.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/usa-covid-19-vaccination-updates.289944/page-109#post-5670736

2) This IS a novel coronavirus, so there is much to learn about it, and one should be happy when public health officials change recommendations based on emerging data. Rather than sticking with outdated recommendations.

3) Emerging evidence suggests that antibodies wain in the months following immunization, so, the public health (CDC, etc) is or will soon be recommending boosters. Especially since Delta requires higher levels of neutralizing antibodies

Again, as I just noted in a response to tgar, it's not that I necessarily disagree with the points you make above...but neither do they refute what I said in my earlier post.

The fact is that Israel's experience tracks that of another country, namely Iceland, where vaccination rates are high...yet significant numbers of vaccinated people are being infected...and hospitalized.

As to the notion that the biology of Israeli people may somehow make them more vulnerable to Covid, there's not the slightest bit of scientific or medical data to support that.

It's good that public health officials change recommendations based on emerging data, but after their airy assurances of the past prove mistaken, it would be even better if they brought some humility to the task rather than providing yet more airy assurances while casting about for scapegoats.

About the boosters, indeed, the handwriting has been on the wall for some weeks now. Yet even if a booster is hurriedly deployed, with no studies done on possible side effects of yet a third shot, six months down the road we could find ourselves back in the same leaky boat anyway.

Meanwhile, here's the headline and lead from an article this morning in another establishment media outlet, the Washington Post:

>>U.S. officials reviewing possibility Moderna vaccine is linked to higher risk of uncommon side effect than previously thought: Federal health officials are investigating emerging reports that the Moderna coronavirus vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of a heart condition called myocarditis in younger adults than previously believed, according to two people familiar with the review who emphasized the side effect still probably remains uncommon.<<

Probably remains uncommon. Oh. But colleges all over the country are mandating the vaccine for the "younger adults" who attend their institutions. Like, maybe we should try and nail down just how uncommon this "probably uncommon" cardiological side effect is for them.

As a matter of fact, wasn't there a clamor to shut down the entire college football season last year because one player at one school developed myocarditis as a possible complication of Covid?

0.705M shots yesterday so total up to 358.6M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.774M. 85.9% of shots administered is the national average, 60.0% of population with 1+ dose (77.3% of the adult population), 51.0% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 199 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 169 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

158,127 positives reported yesterday compared to 148,821 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 139,006.

Fatality was 1055 reported yesterday compared to 714 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 703.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 74,602 compared to yesterday 7-day average at 72,874 compared to one week ago 59,800 up 24.8%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 11,379 compared yesterday 7-day average of 11,249 compared to one week ago 9,786 up 16.3%.

Daily Positives -- Florida-23,335, Texas-18,434, California-13,023, Georgia-8014, Louisiana-6606, Tennessee-5478, North Carolina-5256, New York-4841, Mississippi-4085, Illinois-3833, Washington-3781, Kentucky-3537, South Carolina-3534, Indiana-3451, Ohio-3303, Missouri-3068, Pennsylvania-2697, Arkansas-2685

1.02M shots yesterday so total up to 359.6M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.823M. 85.3% of shots administered is the national average, 60.2% of population with 1+ dose (77.5% of the adult population), 51.1% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 200 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 170 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

154,917 positives reported yesterday compared to 150,148 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 140,499.

Fatality was 967 reported yesterday compared to 816 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 769.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 76,077 compared to yesterday 7-day average at 74,602 compared to one week ago 62,230 up 22.3%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 11,521 compared yesterday 7-day average of 11,379 compared to one week ago 16,492 up 14.2%.

So the good data point is that new hospital admissions are starting to flatten out as can be seen by the day over day hardly climbing and the week over week percent increase decreasing.

The daily positive curve is not at the same percent increase but what I was hoping was a plateau appears to be just a change in percent increase. So good that the slope of the daily positive is starting to go down, but still seems to be weeks off from actually hitting the plateau.

1.02M shots yesterday so total up to 359.6M with the 7 day rolling average at 0.823M. 85.3% of shots administered is the national average, 60.2% of population with 1+ dose (77.5% of the adult population), 51.1% of population fully vaccinated.

So far, 200 million Americans have received at least one dose of a vaccine. At least 170 million people have completed a vaccination regimen.

154,917 positives reported yesterday compared to 150,148 week over week. 7-day rolling average is at 140,499.

Fatality was 967 reported yesterday compared to 816 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 769.

Hospitalizations reported 7 day rolling average is 76,077 compared to yesterday 7-day average at 74,602 compared to one week ago 62,230 up 22.3%.

Hospital admissions reported 7 day rolling average is 11,521 compared yesterday 7-day average of 11,379 compared to one week ago 16,492 up 14.2%.

So the good data point is that new hospital admissions are starting to flatten out as can be seen by the day over day hardly climbing and the week over week percent increase decreasing.

The daily positive curve is not at the same percent increase but what I was hoping was a plateau appears to be just a change in percent increase. So good that the slope of the daily positive is starting to go down, but still seems to be weeks off from actually hitting the plateau.
I'm cautiously optimistic but we'll have to see the back to school numbers which is about a month out. My kids just went back full time this week so in a week or two we'll kind of see the fallout locally where I'm at.

Reactions: tgar
I'm cautiously optimistic but we'll have to see the back to school numbers which is about a month out. My kids just went back full time this week so in a week or two we'll kind of see the fallout locally where I'm at.

i think back to school is going to be another spike coming. that is why i don't see this going back down anytime soon, probably be late September before we plateau. I know anecdotally a colleague in the North Carolina office wife is a school nurse. They went back to school last week. She said it has been minor chaos. A lot of positives and then contact tracing, etc...way, way worse then when they started last year she said. Unlike the other virus variants, appears Delta can transmit through younger kids so I see a lot of positives coming from schools and then back through the parents, etc...

i think back to school is going to be another spike coming. that is why i don't see this going back down anytime soon, probably be late September before we plateau. I know anecdotally a colleague in the North Carolina office wife is a school nurse. They went back to school last week. She said it has been minor chaos. A lot of positives and then contact tracing, etc...way, way worse then when they started last year she said. Unlike the other virus variants, appears Delta can transmit through younger kids so I see a lot of positives coming from schools and then back through the parents, etc...
Seems about right.

Again, as I just noted in a response to tgar, it's not that I necessarily disagree with the points you make above...but neither do they refute what I said in my earlier post.

The fact is that Israel's experience tracks that of another country, namely Iceland, where vaccination rates are high...yet significant numbers of vaccinated people are being infected...and hospitalized.

As to the notion that the biology of Israeli people may somehow make them more vulnerable to Covid, there's not the slightest bit of scientific or medical data to support that.

It's good that public health officials change recommendations based on emerging data, but after their airy assurances of the past prove mistaken, it would be even better if they brought some humility to the task rather than providing yet more airy assurances while casting about for scapegoats.

About the boosters, indeed, the handwriting has been on the wall for some weeks now. Yet even if a booster is hurriedly deployed, with no studies done on possible side effects of yet a third shot, six months down the road we could find ourselves back in the same leaky boat anyway.

Meanwhile, here's the headline and lead from an article this morning in another establishment media outlet, the Washington Post:

>>U.S. officials reviewing possibility Moderna vaccine is linked to higher risk of uncommon side effect than previously thought: Federal health officials are investigating emerging reports that the Moderna coronavirus vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of a heart condition called myocarditis in younger adults than previously believed, according to two people familiar with the review who emphasized the side effect still probably remains uncommon.<<

Probably remains uncommon. Oh. But colleges all over the country are mandating the vaccine for the "younger adults" who attend their institutions. Like, maybe we should try and nail down just how uncommon this "probably uncommon" cardiological side effect is for them.

As a matter of fact, wasn't there a clamor to shut down the entire college football season last year because one player at one school developed myocarditis as a possible complication of Covid?
It's confusing. A couple of weeks ago we were told that this is an epidemic of the unvaccinated and that 95% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated people. Now we're hearing that vaccines only help for 8 months. It's one thing to get vaccinated. It's another thing to keep getting boosters every 8 months and being told that you still have to wear a mask and that the vaccine is only 50% effective. That's a tough sell.

Last edited:
That's a reasonable perspective...which doesn't contradict anything in my post.

What most definitely does NOT feel good...and glaringly contradicts the ongoing experience of countries like Israel, Iceland, and the UK...is the scapegoating and demonization of people who haven't been vaccinated.

One thing we know about our supposed Best and Brightest: when they're wrong, which happens with regularity, they don't learn from their errors but rather double down on them.
The best and brightest have always been correct in everyone get vaccinated. Over 65 first, next segment after that all the way down to teenagers now. I have never heard messaging from the science or medical community that didn’t encourage every single available person to get vaccinated.

I have heard over and over unvaccinated dimwits double down with nonsense.

The scapegoating was inevitable as the body count of hospitalized without being vaccinated climbed to a significant level and rapidly.

Let’s be clear, other than if you can’t be vaccinated for a medical reason and you choose not to be vaccinated, you are part of the problem.

It's confusing. A couple of weeks ago we were told that vaccines this is an epidemic of the unvaccinated and that 95% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated people. Now we're hearing that vaccines only help for 8 months. It's one thing to get vaccinated. It's another thing to keep getting boosters every 8 months and being told that you still have to wear a mask and that the vaccine is only 50% effective. That's a tough sell.
I have been told in this thread that the messaging hasn't changed at all. And that using the term "messaging" is a no-no.

What happened to school age kids being much less likely to get, spread, or get sick from the virus? Some say the Delta variant is different but the CDC is still reporting only 361 deaths involving Covid for kids age 0-17. Only two of those have occurred this month. Maybe it's bad data but they say it's as of August 18th.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge
So you really haven't heard that the Delta is more likely to get sick or spread the virus than the original virus among school age children, even toddlers? Makes sense that you had not heard that. Then again we should just ignore information if it's new on something that can mutate or change. I mean if something evolves, it's best to just ignore that.

Reactions: pa108
What happened to school age kids being much less likely to get, spread, or get sick from the virus? Some say the Delta variant is different but the CDC is still reporting only 361 deaths involving Covid for kids age 0-17. Only two of those have occurred this month. Maybe it's bad data but they say it's as of August 18th.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

you are equating deaths of school age kids to transmission? So that is your issue as that is not correct. A very healthy person can get covid, have minor sickness and still transmit the virus to many other people. that healthy person never ends up in the hospital or dead. All variants to date had extremely low transmission rates amongst the younger kids, hence why the schools that did remain open last year really saw very little spread in them. The Delta variant appears to have a much higher transmission rate amonst younger kids. So now kids are spreading to kids, and kids are spreading to adults, etc...that is why i think we see a spike here over the next few weeks as all these kids get back to school and we have a lot of spread amongst them and then backup through the parents.

So you really haven't heard that the Delta is more likely to get sick or spread the virus than the original virus among school age children, even toddlers? Makes sense that you had not heard that. Then again we should just ignore information if it's new on something that can mutate or change. I mean if something evolves, it's best to just ignore that.
Why do you put words in my mouth. I never said to ignore anything. I suggested that the information we get seems inconsistent and confusing. I understand that the Delta variant might be different but the link from the CDC only shows a total of 2 deaths of kids age 0-17 in August through the 18th.

In a related item.... We keep hearing about the huge outbreak in Florida. I l did a google search this morning and it's story after story. I'm not denying any of it but then I see this:

It looks to me like the cases and deaths are way down. Maybe you think this data is wrong and perhaps it is. As I said, my point is that the messaging has been inconsistent.

Reactions: PSUfiji and bison13
Effective? Never
Efficient? The opposite

He is a complete doofus who makes ridiculous self-aggrandizing statements, a pathological liar who has cost our country trillions in wasted effort and lives. He is the embodiment of self-deluded narcissism. He is a stain on our country, an embarrassment to the USA for all time. The worst president in the history of our country and it's not even close.

But thanks to his shameless dishonesty and hucksterism, he was good at making himself and friends rich and he still is bilking his fans with those automatic, recurring campaign contributions that they unwittingly sign up for. It is ironic that he was never really a profitable businessman until he was forced to sell out and become a reality TV buffoon. He took it all the way to the top.
After what has been going on lately with the current administration that is a rich statement - we seem as a country to be unable to find a competent leader - the current one is worse than the last one.

Reactions: PSUfiji and bison13
you are equating deaths of school age kids to transmission?
No, I'm just saying that the messaging has been inconsistent and confusing. I see stories about high hospitalization rates and that many of them are young children. I believe the hospitalizations are up but how many are young children and how sick are they getting? I certainly believe that kids can transmit the virus but I've also heard that they tend to be asymptomatic and are less likely to spread the virus. Are asymptomatic kids now just as likely to spread the virus or is it still much less common than with symptomatic adults? Perhaps the messaging is clear and consistent in your mind but not in mine.

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
After what has been going on lately with the current administration that is a rich statement - we seem as a country to be unable to find a competent leader - the current one is worse than the last one.
It's difficult to have a rational conversation with psu_et_vt. He's often angry and gets his "facts" wrong.

Why do you put words in my mouth. I never said to ignore anything. I suggested that the information we get seems inconsistent and confusing. I understand that the Delta variant might be different but the link from the CDC only shows a total of 2 deaths of kids age 0-17 in August through the 18th.

In a related item.... We keep hearing about the huge outbreak in Florida. I l did a google search this morning and it's story after story. I'm not denying any of it but then I see this:

It looks to me like the cases and deaths are way down. Maybe you think this data is wrong and perhaps it is. As I said, my point is that the messaging has been inconsistent.
It's confusing if you don't like hearing things I guess. It's evolving and things are changing, but maybe that just confuses you. I'm not sure how or why it's confusing to say more kids are now getting the virus or passing it on with the new string. What exactly is the confusing part?

Last edited:
No, I'm just saying that the messaging has been inconsistent and confusing. I see stories about high hospitalization rates and that many of them are young children. I believe the hospitalizations are up but how many are young children and how sick are they getting? I certainly believe that kids can transmit the virus but I've also heard that they tend to be asymptomatic and are less likely to spread the virus. Are asymptomatic kids now just as likely to spread the virus or is it still much less common than with symptomatic adults? Perhaps the messaging is clear and consistent in your mind but not in mine.

couple of things.

there appear to many more symptomatic kids now versus a year ago. was before 5% and now 25%, nobody knows as the CDC won't tell us. but based on anecdotal evidence and a lot more kids testing positive, I think I believe that Delta is hitting kids a lot harder than before.

what percent of kids are in the hospital and what are their co-morbidities the CDC won't tell us. Shame on them as they are using 'kids in hospital' as fear porn now. We see no data on kids in hospital or the few kids that do unfortunately die, what were co-morbidities and did they die of Covid or with Covid.

It's confusing if you don't like hearing things I guess. It's evolving and things are changing, but maybe that just confuses you. I'm not sure how or why it's confusing to say more kids are now getting the virus or passing it on with the new string. What exactly is the confusing part?

The confusing part is what the CDC has and is still doing to manipulate the numbers, especially for the pediatric cases. Gets back to that trust thing again.

The confusing part is what the CDC has and is still doing to manipulate the numbers, especially for the pediatric cases. Gets back to that trust thing again.

I know it's so confusing to you too. Kids are more likely to catch or pass on Delta....seems like that information is out there, but apparently that is confusing. That has been occurring more in the last couple of months with Delta so the data being gathered is still new. They cannot forward project the numbers and certain states report numbers differently. Things will continue to change and evolve.....oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgar
couple of things.

there appear to many more symptomatic kids now versus a year ago. was before 5% and now 25%, nobody knows as the CDC won't tell us. but based on anecdotal evidence and a lot more kids testing positive, I think I believe that Delta is hitting kids a lot harder than before.

what percent of kids are in the hospital and what are their co-morbidities the CDC won't tell us. Shame on them as they are using 'kids in hospital' as fear porn now. We see no data on kids in hospital or the few kids that do unfortunately die, what were co-morbidities and did they die of Covid or with Covid.
That's my point.

On a side note I wish there should be a compromise on the requirement for kids to wear masks in school. Why can't kids wear them on the bus but take them off when seated at their desk? It would be much like the rules for restaurants or grocery stores. It's one thing to have to wear the mask for a short time but all day long is much more difficult. JMO.

Wait until people start heading back inside in the northern part of the country, then we’ll see another spike.

That's my point.

On a side note I wish there should be a compromise on the requirement for kids to wear masks in school. Why can't kids wear them on the bus but take them off when seated at their desk? It would be much like the rules for restaurants or grocery stores. It's one thing to have to wear the mask for a short time but all day long is much more difficult. JMO.

Teachers and government union workers aren't required to get vaccinated, because, well...

• Wow
Reactions: PSUfiji
Wait until people start heading back inside in the northern part of the country, then we’ll see another spike.
I wonder if that's what's currently happening in Florida. Last summer they had a spike and now it's happening again. Do people stay inside in Florida during the hot summers much like people stay inside up north in November?

Reactions: 1
I do want the booster. We won't hit the 8 month mark until late October. Problem is, we're going away in early October and would like to have had it before leaving. Anybody have a feel for if it is likely we could walk into our pharmacy in late September and be allowed to get the shot? We're both over 65.

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
I wonder if that's what's currently happening in Florida. Last summer they had a spike and now it's happening again. Do people stay inside in Florida during the hot summers much like people stay inside up north in November?
That’s what I’ve read….southern states get the spike when it’s hot, northern states when it gets cold.

Now this is what I call crystal clear messaging.

So leaving it up to the local school district for now is confusing? The ones with the actual boots on the ground and see what is going on versus some governors who have simply said there will be no mask mandates no matter what is going on. To only have the school districts where it is bad say F__K you we will still protect the kids. None of which has to do with the vaccine BTW where it's pretty clear you should get the jab.

Would would have thunk these governors are Politicians playing a game with our health? From the left and right....no kidding, but it's still not confusing unless you try and make it confusing or simply lack the ability to think for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: klive and tgar
So leaving it up to the local school district for now is confusing? The ones with the actual boots on the ground and see what is going on versus some governors who have simply said there will be no mask mandates no matter what is going on. To only have the school districts where it is bad say F__K you we will still protect the kids. None of which has to do with the vaccine BTW where it's pretty clear you should get the jab.

Would would have thunk these governors are Politicians playing a game with our health? From the left and right....no kidding, but it's still not confusing unless you try and make it confusing or simply lack the ability to think for yourself.
Your last paragraph is spot on and so many here fall into that category

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT