ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious chainsaw problems.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
@PSUTENN1 @Hairy Homeowner :

Just the other day I was on here bragging about what a great deal I got on a rebuildable Stihl Farm Boss 290. What follows is what I get for bragging.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must say that yesterday I filled the gas tank with thick, nasty, waxy bar and chain oil by mistake, then tried yanking the pull cord approximately 8,000 times, getting angrier all the while.

Late last night i figured out that this simple boneheaded mistake is bound to have happened many times, so i googled it. I learned to drain it out (did that yesterday) then put a quarter tank of gas in it and shake it around for a while, then drain that out, refill with fresh gas, then try to start. Did it, nothing.

Put it aside. An hour later, after a few more pulls, it fired up, smoking really bad. After about 10 seconds at full throttle, it cleared. Good to go. If the plug fouls, at least I'll know why.

Never think you have done something unprecedentedly stupid. Others have beat you to every stupid thing you do.

Just the other day I was on here bragging about what a great deal I got on a rebuildable Stihl Farm Boss 290. What follows is what I get for bragging.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must say that yesterday I filled the gas tank with thick, nasty, waxy bar and chain oil by mistake, then tried yanking the pull cord approximately 8,000 times, getting angrier all the while.

Late last night i figured out that this simple boneheaded mistake is bound to have happened many times, so i googled it. I learned to drain it out (did that yesterday) then put a quarter tank of gas in it and shake it around for a while, then drain that out, refill with fresh gas, then try to start. Did it, nothing.

Put it aside. An hour later, after a few more pulls, it fired up, smoking really bad. After about 10 seconds at full throttle, it cleared. Good to go. If the plug fouls, at least I'll know why.

Never think you have done something unprecedentedly stupid. Others have beat you to every stupid thing you do.

Glad to hear your problem seems to be sorting itself out. As things go, I hope it's the worst problem you ever have.

Yeah I accidentally pushed an exercise ball under a treadmill with a woman on it. She wasn’t on it for long. Plenty of video on this found when I got home.

Reactions: KnightSlayer

You could have made a much bigger, more serious mistake. You could be a Pitt or a Michigan fan!

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
still trying to figure out how you did this.
been pondering this all afternoon
do you store chain oil in a gas can?
gas in a chain oil quart/half gallon container?

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
still trying to figure out how you did this.
been pondering this all afternoon
do you store chain oil in a gas can?
gas in a chain oil quart/half gallon container?
The 2 tanks are at either end of the body of the saw. Just poured them in the wrong tanks, screwed the lids on and tried to start it. I had gas in the bar oil tank, too. It was a while until i figured it out.

Reactions: AlienWedge
I had a buddy who filled the tank on his motorcycle about half way with diesel fuel before he realized what he was doing. There ended his ride.

Reactions: demlion
I had a buddy who filled the tank on his motorcycle about half way with diesel fuel before he realized what he was doing. There ended his ride.
My law partner self-served a half tank of regular unleaded into the tank of his 06 Dodge Cummins diesel truck. Thousand$ for new injectors.

Reactions: Nitt1300
The 2 tanks are at either end of the body of the saw. Just poured them in the wrong tanks, screwed the lids on and tried to start it. I had gas in the bar oil tank, too. It was a while until i figured it out.
damn i never thought of that possibility

Given your history, you expect us to believe that? ;)
If you analyze it on a "pounds of wood" basis, these disasters which seem so massive are in fact trifling. A cord of seasoned wood weighs about 2500 lbs. I burned about 8 cords this year. Thus, I cut 20,000 pounds of wood. A good average year would be, conservatively speaking, about 14 thousand. These bonehead moves are extremely rare on a per pound basis. o_O

This same analytic method, when converted to a "pounds of fish" basis for boat usage, is ugly in the extreme.:(

Reactions: 91Joe95
A number of years ago I worked with a crusty old forestry prof who spent a lot of his spare time cutting firewood on his bush lot. He often told the story of how he took down a dead tree and caught a sapling that bowed under the fallen tree. Knowing he needed to cut the top off the sapling before he started bucking the tree stem, he straddled the sapling and began cutting through it close to the fallen tree. Luckily, he realized what he was doing before having a couple of sensitive body parts driven into his diaphragm.

The moral of the story is: anything that happens with a chainsaw that doesn't end in the emergency room is not a serious problem. Count your blessings, demlion, and safe sawing.

I suppose a flaming chainsaw blade might appear normal.

A suggestion, color code one of the caps and tanks.

I bought an old homelite chainsaw, not the newer red plastic thing, but metal in a light blue color with at least an 18” bar. I paid under $10 for it and hoped I could get it running. Even with the assistance of my buddy who is an ace mechanic, We’ve not had any luck and have given up. I would really like to see this old beauty run again, but it’s not worth spending a fortune on it.

I bought an old homelite chainsaw, not the newer red plastic thing, but metal in a light blue color with at least an 18” bar. I paid under $10 for it and hoped I could get it running. Even with the assistance of my buddy who is an ace mechanic, We’ve not had any luck and have given up. I would really like to see this old beauty run again, but it’s not worth spending a fortune on it.
You did all the obvious things? New spark plug? Seafoam in the gas tank?

Check to see the gas tank is not full of oil?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I suppose a flaming chainsaw blade might appear normal.

A suggestion, color code one of the caps and tanks.
Thats a perfectly good suggestion. I think I will first try PAYING THE f*** ATTENTION before i invest in paint.:mad:

You did all the obvious things? New spark plug? Seafoam in the gas tank?

Check to see the gas tank is not full of oil?
Honestly, my buddy was at the auction with me and was telling me not to buy it... I told him that I was confident that he could get it running for me. Maybe he's not as motivated to see it run as I am!

Well one time I put about 20 gallons of water into my gas tank on my boat!! I wish it would run on water, but they it doesnt!

Well one time I put about 20 gallons of water into my gas tank on my boat!! I wish it would run on water, but they it doesnt!
How long did you try to start it before you realized your mistake? How much of that water did you suck into the internals of the motor?

How long did you try to start it before you realized your mistake? How much of that water did you suck into the internals of the motor?
when gas came out the over flow I know something was up!!! So I knew not to start it!! funny thing about gas and water, they dont mix and water is heavier than gas. So we put a hose into the tank and kept siphoning until a sample was all gas (or mostly the best we could do) then we put in some stabilizer, and changed the gas/water fuel filter several times, we were good to go. Next stop was to the sign maker, and had a GAS sign made and a WATER sign made so as not to get confused again!!

Reactions: 91Joe95
when gas came out the over flow I know something was up!!! So I knew not to start it!! funny thing about gas and water, they dont mix and water is heavier than gas. So we put a hose into the tank and kept siphoning until a sample was all gas (or mostly the best we could do) then we put in some stabilizer, and changed the gas/water fuel filter several times, we were good to go. Next stop was to the sign maker, and had a GAS sign made and a WATER sign made so as not to get confused again!!
This is why gas cans are red and water cans are typically blue. You don't need a sign if you just use the right tool for the right job. I cringe when I see my FIL use a blue can for gas... he just doesn't get it.

This is why gas cans are red and water cans are typically blue. You don't need a sign if you just use the right tool for the right job. I cringe when I see my FIL use a blue can for gas... he just doesn't get it.
but I dont fill my boat with a can!! so you have to know where to stick the hose, right? Besides, I thought kerosene was blue, and water was green? Not that it matters I get your point!

If this was my saw i would put some sea foam in the gas tank for good measure even if you think all the bar oil in gone.

but I dont fill my boat with a can!! so you have to know where to stick the hose, right? Besides, I thought kerosene was blue, and water was green? Not that it matters I get your point!
You might be correct about kerosene being blue. I almost left it as water is a different color, but remembered that I have two blue plastic containers for storing water. These water containers look nothing like a gas can.

Oh, I think I better understand the issue. You took a water hose and filled your gas tank... I guess a color coded cap would solve that, if possible. They made nozels for leaded and unleaded gas pumps different sizes so you can put leaded gas in an unleaded car. Maybe they should have water hoses a different size so that you can't mix up with gas?

You might be correct about kerosene being blue. I almost left it as water is a different color, but remembered that I have two blue plastic containers for storing water. These water containers look nothing like a gas can.

Oh, I think I better understand the issue. You took a water hose and filled your gas tank... I guess a color coded cap would solve that, if possible. They made nozels for leaded and unleaded gas pumps different sizes so you can put leaded gas in an unleaded car. Maybe they should have water hoses a different size so that you can't mix up with gas?
I would remind you, and I think sluggo would agree, that if your head is so far up your A$$ that you put a waterhose in where the gas pump goes, color coding aint gonna help much.

I would remind you, and I think sluggo would agree, that if your head is so far up your A$$ that you put a waterhose in where the gas pump goes, color coding aint gonna help much.
exactly. pretty sure alcohol is a factor in the boating mishaps lol

200 million eggs have been recalled due to salmonella (sp). 200 million?
Is this some unforeseen outcome of putting bar oil in your chainsaw's gas tank? Having trouble latching onto the relevance in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT