ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious chainsaw problems.

exactly. pretty sure alcohol is a factor in the boating mishaps lol
actually alcohol was not a factor in this case!!! It was a relatively new boat to me, so I wasnt really experienced with the thing. They had like 3 fill caps right in a row, waste (pump out the shiat) gas, water. I thought I had done a good thing, for a $500 donation to some do good cause, you got to ride on Sluggo's boat up and down the river and act like big shoots and bring along 3 other couples!! Well the group of 8 was coming that night, and I wanted to make sure everything was ready to go!! So I thought I was filling up the water tank, and gas came out!!! Took about 3 hrs to fix, but we did get the ride in!!

Reactions: 91Joe95
Color coding works only if you're not color blind. I worked for a guy who was color blind. He went out to look at a timber sale, and asked the forester which trees were to be cut. He said all the trees marked with red paint. He couldn't see the color red, so he didn't see see any marks.

His brother wasn't much better. He was one of the truck drivers. One day he was told to go out and move the green truck. He said "We have a green truck?" He thought it was brown.

I simply use a gallon jug for my saw gas. Being semi-transparent, you can see how much gas you have in it, and it is easy to mix. I believe it originally held windshield washer fluid. I tie it on a piece of rope and put the oil jug on the other end. You can throw it over your should and go out and cut trees. You're on your own getting the right fluid in the right hole.

If you analyze it on a "pounds of wood" basis, these disasters which seem so massive are in fact trifling. A cord of seasoned wood weighs about 2500 lbs. I burned about 8 cords this year. Thus, I cut 20,000 pounds of wood. A good average year would be, conservatively speaking, about 14 thousand. These bonehead moves are extremely rare on a per pound basis. o_O
That’s a lot. Outdoor wood stove?

I’ve only used fireplaces and interior wood stoves but those outdoor jobbies in the sheds or barns sound amazing.

I bought an old homelite chainsaw, not the newer red plastic thing, but metal in a light blue color with at least an 18” bar. I paid under $10 for it and hoped I could get it running. Even with the assistance of my buddy who is an ace mechanic, We’ve not had any luck and have given up. I would really like to see this old beauty run again, but it’s not worth spending a fortune on it.
I was offered a few old professional chainsaws before my recent purchase. Not sure of the age but these machines had NO safety features you’d see on any of the modern machines So I’m guessing late 70 or early 80s.

If they’re anything like your $10 Homelite, maybe it’s best you couldn’t fire it up. You might be such an expert that it doesn’t matter. But I’m pretty sure the experts know better than to ever cut wood cut with anything that could cost $10. Just saying...

I was offered a few old professional chainsaws before my recent purchase. Not sure of the age but these machines had NO safety features you’d see on any of the modern machines So I’m guessing late 70 or early 80s.

If they’re anything like your $10 Homelite, maybe it’s best you couldn’t fire it up. You might be such an expert that it doesn’t matter. But I’m pretty sure the experts know better than to ever cut wood cut with anything that could cost $10. Just saying...
I have a newish stihl and a hand me down red plastic homelite that both work and have safety features. The older chainsaw was for nostalgia purposes mostly.

My
I have a newish stihl and a hand me down red plastic homelite that both work and have safety features. The older chainsaw was for nostalgia purposes mostly.
Fair enough. My brother-in-law is a macguiver-type. His stihl is around 20 years old and is basically the same machine as my new one, except for little things like the flip-open gas and oil. He said his will likely last the rest of his cutting life.

Glad to hear you’re not using the old machine. Maybe I’d consider accepting the heirloom machines for nostalgia.... we’ll see.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT