ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Rock Hall inductees include 2 from Western PA

Mercer and Erie represent 🤘🤘

I've been watching a lot of the induction videos and didn't realize Vrenna was from Erie. NIN was a MASSIVE part of my life in high school and college; the added bonus was that Trent was from Western PA and the relatability that went along with that. I'm glad he came around on these types of awards/recognitions because for a long time he was very rock n' roll and IDGAF about that sh*t. Being married, sober, and a perfectionist has really changed his product and his pivot to film scoring (often with David Fincher) has been awesome to watch. Happy that the NIN 'live band' was included in the induction since, if you ever read the liner notes of a NIN album, 'Trent Reznor is Nine Inch Nails.'

Reactions: Zenophile
It's interesting to watch the 90's bands who are getting in on their first few attempts. I think, of rock/alternative bands who were 'big' in the 90's and/or just starting out, these are the ones who are in:

- Nirvana
- Green Day
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Cure
- U2
- REM
- Beastie Boys
- Pearl Jam
- Radiohead
- Depeche Mode

Will be interesting to see who else from that era makes it - I think Tool is a lock - Foo Fighters are eligible next year and they'll get in; but what about Soundgarden? Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, No Doubt, Jane's Addiction, Hole, etc.? It was a pretty great era in music but not sure who else makes it. Still missing: Joy Division/New Order, Pixies, Smiths.

It's interesting to watch the 90's bands who are getting in on their first few attempts. I think, of rock/alternative bands who were 'big' in the 90's and/or just starting out, these are the ones who are in:

- Nirvana
- Green Day
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Nine Inch Nails
- The Cure
- U2
- REM
- Beastie Boys
- Pearl Jam
- Radiohead
- Depeche Mode

Will be interesting to see who else from that era makes it - I think Tool is a lock - Foo Fighters are eligible next year and they'll get in; but what about Soundgarden? Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, No Doubt, Jane's Addiction, Hole, etc.? It was a pretty great era in music but not sure who else makes it. Still missing: Joy Division/New Order, Pixies, Smiths.

I think Stone Temple Pilots get in.

Maybe they’ll ask Pearl Jam to induct them!

I think Stone Temple Pilots get in.

Maybe they’ll ask Pearl Jam to induct them!

Will be interesting to see if they do; Nirvana got in on essentially two studio albums, one incredible live album, and the fact that they ushered in the 'grunge' era of rock (or popularized it). STP has a bigger body of work and four really, really good albums.

Also just learned that Ilan Rubin, who was inducted with NIN (as part of the live band), is the youngest person ever inducted into the RRHOF (32).

Reactions: TheGLOV
Will be interesting to see if they do; Nirvana got in on essentially two studio albums, one incredible live album, and the fact that they ushered in the 'grunge' era of rock (or popularized it). STP has a bigger body of work and four really, really good albums.

Also just learned that Ilan Rubin, who was inducted with NIN (as part of the live band), is the youngest person ever inducted into the RRHOF (32).
STP, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains all need to get in.

Trent is Mercer High School grad and an Allegheny College dropout.
For the longest time, I do believe Trent more or less denied his Mercer existence. It’s more recently that he seems to admit being from there, if not embrace it.

STP, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains all need to get in.

Of those I think Soundgarden has the worst chance (I forgot to add Rage Against The Machine in my previous post - I think they should be in) - but, Chris Cornell was/is a compelling frontman and weirdly enough, I just realized the lead singers of all those bands are dead (Staley, Cornell, Weiland). I'd add the 'best' band IMO in terms of musicianship from that era is probably Smashing Pumpkins, but Billy Corgan has had a strange post-Pumpkins trajectory.

For the longest time, I do believe Trent more or less denied his Mercer existence. It’s more recently that he seems to admit being from there, if not embrace it.

Well, the first ever 'profile' I read of Trent was in Ray Gun magazine (which I bought at the Giant Eagle in sleepy little Chippewa, PA) and they talked a good bit about his upbringing in PA and how he was in marching band and played Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar; but, when they talk about 'NIN', they're mentioned as more of a Cleveland band since that is where they started (and the story goes that Trent worked in a recording studio by day doing odd jobs and was paid in studio time after hours, which he used to record 'Pretty Hate Machine'). I've also seen NIN a few times in Pittsburgh and he always mentions growing up in Mercer/Western PA, but if you weren't/aren't a NIN diehard you may not know that. I would agree that Trent didn't go out of his way to promote where he was from and/or how great it was - he was always talking about how much he wanted to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT