ADVERTISEMENT

Pennsylvania Bucket List.......

I know. However, there's nothing Dutch about it. Furthermore, how did a mispronunciation turn into windmills and tulips? Let me guess -- money and the negative PR re: Germany.

Maybe ;). That said, Germany and the Netherlands share a border and the Dutch and Germans are basically cousins.

Plus back when the Amish were coming to America there was no unified German State but a collection of kingdoms (until 1871).

Many of the Pennsylvania Dutch aren't even technically 'German' because they came from areas in Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and Germany. They just predominantly spoke German which drove the name.

A lot of them migrated to Rotterdam, Netherlands which is where they left to go to the USA.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Maybe ;). That said, Germany and the Netherlands share a border and the Dutch and Germans are basically cousins.

Plus back when the Amish were coming to America there was no unified German State but a collection of kingdoms (until 1871).

Many of the Pennsylvania Dutch aren't even technically 'German' because they came from areas in Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, and Germany. They just predominantly spoke German which drove the name.

A lot of them migrated to Rotterdam, Netherlands which is where they left to go to the USA.
They're German. They speak a German dialect. They are direct descendants of Vandals and Visigoths.:)

Those tunnels were abandoned when I was a baby. Never been through them in a car that I remember. Nice trip on a bike though, or a walk if one is ambitious enough.
I was disappointed when I saw the tunnel was gone. We'd hold our breath through all the tunnels as kids.

An obscure one (anyone ever been there?) is the Daniel Boone homestead in Birdsboro.

exeter-township-pennsylvania-berks-county-daniel-boone-c1733-birthplace-1910-pc-f7950f65c0aed0676a712028289c963c.jpg

It was a regular school trip, along with Hopewell Furnace for us kids in the Reading SD back in the day (1980's).

Anytime I drive west on the turnpike, which is seldom, I always look for the old road leading to the Sidling Tunnel. Childhood memories.
You can clearly see that path of the abandoned stretch of the turnpike on Google Maps just east of Breezewood. I guess they decided it would be less costly to build a bypass around the tunnels rather than widen them to 4 lanes like they did with the others.

Anybody remember those days with the 2 mile backup leading into the Blue Mountain tunnel?

You can clearly see that path of the abandoned stretch of the turnpike on Google Maps just east of Breezewood. I guess they decided it would be less costly to build a bypass around the tunnels rather than widen them to 4 lanes like they did with the others.

Anybody remember those days with the 2 mile backup leading into the Blue Mountain tunnel?
About when did that backup become expected?

I'll add that paying the toll to get the F out of New Jersey and get back to PA is a joy everyone should experience.

Beaver Stadium on a Saturday in the fall belongs on the list

How about all that culture in Pittsburgh that prevents Pitt fans from attending home games? How did that not make the list?

Reactions: psu00 and dshumbero
Lists like this are love-hate. So much depends on the authors personal preference. Here are few to consider if you are making a list...

Mountain bike on the Allegripis
Climb Mt. Nittany
Horseshoe curve for train lovers
Visit Beaver Stadium for the games
Watch hawks on a fall day at Hawk Valley
Experience the green drake mayfly hatch on Penns Creek
PSU creamery - recommend a visit more than once
Climb the 1000 steps trail
Hike a piece of the PA section of the Appalachian trail
Raft run the Youghiogheny
Cooks Forrest grove
Bushy Run Battlefield (an F&I War gem)
tour the town of Mt. Gretna - Jiggershop stop
Bike the Yough river trail from Pgh to DC
Portage rail road for fascinating engineering feat

and many more.........

Reactions: psu00 and Sullivan
Thanks a lot for sharing that list. It's been a long time since you guys shared it, so I'd like to know if there is anything new to watch in Pennsylvania. What's your favorite spot?

Reactions: NedFromYork
Thanks a lot for sharing that list. It's been a long time since you guys shared it, so I'd like to know if there is anything new to watch in Pennsylvania. What's your favorite spot?
I’ve done:
Independence Hall
The Incline
Presage Isle
Flight 93 (highly recommend)
Groundhog Day ( I grew up in Punxsutawney)
My additions to the list would be:
Horseshoe curve
The Thunderbolt at Kenneywood
Williams Grove Speedway
Pocono Raceway.

Well, I'm actually new on this forum, but I'd love to chime in on your question. Pennsylvania is a gem when it comes to places to explore. If you're looking for something new to watch, I highly recommend that you add to your bucket list the following spots: Fallingwater (extremely stunning architectural masterpiece nestled in the woods), Ricketts Glen State Park (hike along the Falls Trail and witness some breathtaking waterfalls). Oh, and Wildcat's Revenge, for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT