ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My week 1 random Olympic thoughts....

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
I've always been more of a Winter Olympics fan but have to admit I've been glued to these games (having the time zones more in line to see things live as much as possible helps).

The Good
- I could watch beach volleyball and Rugby 7s all day.....really hoping that Rugby 7s takes off in this country. I have a couple of nephews that decided to give the sport a try at the 7 and 10 yr old levels and after ironing out the rules, it's a blast to watch and play.

- Swimming is probably the big winner of the games. It's not just Phelps but the US team as a whole...very impressive and good storylines to keep interest up.

- Caught the last 2 US field hockey games and surprised to learn the team has not had much success prior to these games (only 1 bronze in last 8 Olympics). They look really good and are loaded with PA talent.

- Men's and women's indoor volleyball has been wildly entertaining as well. Shame the mens team looks to be underachieving.

The Bad (and I"ll probably be blasted for being anti-patriotic)
- Few things have less drama and suspense than watching the US play basketball in the Olympics. From an entertainment quality, these hoops games are about as exciting as pre-season football. There are some team sports I'd just love to see go back to amateurs and this is at the top of the list.

- While most of the country loved Lilly King's shoving the the Russian's face in her triumph, I thought the way she handled her victory was about as low class and despicable as you could get given the stage. I get the competition is fierce and emotional but her problem should be with the IOC decision to permit the Russians to swim, not Efimova, who clearly was not doping in this contest. King could take a big lesson from how her teammates have handled their own successes and failures in these races.

- Someone familiar with archery explain what all of that gear is needed for? Looking at these bows reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield's putter in Caddyshack.

Overall I think these games are a pretty good endorsement for the USOC and how this country is developing its athletes.

Reactions: cavic
I've always been more of a Winter Olympics fan but have to admit I've been glued to these games (having the time zones more in line to see things live as much as possible helps).

The Good
- I could watch beach volleyball and Rugby 7s all day.....really hoping that Rugby 7s takes off in this country. I have a couple of nephews that decided to give the sport a try at the 7 and 10 yr old levels and after ironing out the rules, it's a blast to watch and play.

- Swimming is probably the big winner of the games. It's not just Phelps but the US team as a whole...very impressive and good storylines to keep interest up.

- Caught the last 2 US field hockey games and surprised to learn the team has not had much success prior to these games (only 1 bronze in last 8 Olympics). They look really good and are loaded with PA talent.

- Men's and women's indoor volleyball has been wildly entertaining as well. Shame the mens team looks to be underachieving.

- Few things have less drama and suspense than watching the US play basketball in the Olympics. From an entertainment quality, these hoops games are about as exciting as pre-season football. There are some team sports I'd just love to see go back to amateurs and this is at the top of the list.

- While most of the country loved Lilly King's shoving the the Russian's face in her triumph, I thought the way she handled her victory was about as low class and despicable as you could get given the stage. I get the competition is fierce and emotional but her problem should be with the IOC decision to permit the Russians to swim, not Efimova, who clearly was not doping in this contest. King could take a big lesson from how her teammates have handled their own successes and failures in these races.

- Someone familiar with archery explain what all of that gear is needed for? Looking at these bows reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield's putter in Caddyshack.

Overall I think these games are a pretty good endorsement for the USOC and how this country is developing its athletes.

The IOC were not the ones that took the drugs. I like to see some fire from competitors especially when they go out and back it up.

Reactions: lionroar88
The IOC were not the ones that took the drugs. I like to see some fire from competitors especially when they go out and back it up.

This was actually my first thought as well but after looking at what it was she tested positive for and especially the circumstances surrounding her 2nd test, she should have been allowed to compete.

I have no problem with fire from competitors but when it's over and all sides have emptied the tank, it wouldn't hurt the victor to show some grace and respect. It's the Olympics, not WWE. While King's antics may have won her hype points, I thought she looked like a clown and if I was her coach I'd be pissed.

This was actually my first thought as well but after looking at what it was she tested positive for and especially the circumstances surrounding her 2nd test, she should have been allowed to compete.

I have no problem with fire from competitors but when it's over and all sides have emptied the tank, it wouldn't hurt the victor to show some grace and respect. It's the Olympics, not WWE. While King's antics may have won her hype points, I thought she looked like a clown and if I was her coach I'd be pissed.

I don't think she did anything too bad after the race.

Another thing I see in the Olympics is that the U.S. Women's gymnastics team is like a varsity team competing against JV teams.

I don't think she did anything too bad after the race.

Another thing I see in the Olympics is that the U.S. Women's gymnastics team is like a varsity team competing against JV teams.

I may have missed something but never saw King even acknowledge Efimova after the race either in the pool (their lanes were right next to each other and they just finished 1 and 2, hudreths of a second a part) or on the podium. Contrast that with Ladecky and nearly every other race I saw and then throw in the personal jabs (not so much before as after) and it's just not a good look for the Olympics.

Gymnastics has been somewhat spoiled by results leaking out before prime time but after the first night I'm not sure we've seen anything like this. Maybe the rest of the world just down and I don't follow the sport enough outside of every 4 years to know how well these girls compare to some of our best teams in the past.

I get where you're coming from but all the athletes have busted their asses for years to get to where they are. Timed events are decided by hundredths of seconds. A clean swimmer has every right to be angry with a doper who may gain a tenth of a second and thus literally steal an undeserved victory. Dopers should be called out for what they are. I certainly agree victors should display grace and respect in most cases but a doper obviously has no respect for their fellow competitors since they're willing to cheat them. All clean athletes should be offended by that.

I may have missed something but never saw King even acknowledge Efimova after the race either in the pool (their lanes were right next to each other and they just finished 1 and 2, hudreths of a second a part) or on the podium. Contrast that with Ladecky and nearly every other race I saw and then throw in the personal jabs (not so much before as after) and it's just not a good look for the Olympics.

Gymnastics has been somewhat spoiled by results leaking out before prime time but after the first night I'm not sure we've seen anything like this. Maybe the rest of the world just down and I don't follow the sport enough outside of every 4 years to know how well these girls compare to some of our best teams in the past.

I get what you're saying, but if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all so she didn't acknowledge her. I thought that showed restraint.

I only watch gymnastics during the Olympics, but I've never seen anything this dominant, not even back in the USSR days. And Simone Biles is considered by experts to be the best ever and I see nothing that disputes that.

The Good

I fully concur with your post with one exception.

Drop Archery
Drop Golf
Add "Archery Golf"..,,just think of the possibilities.

• a caddie who pulls arrows out of his quiver and hands them to the archer. He can still wet his finger pre- shot and try to advise as to the "wind effects"
  • Explosives in the cup such that if you shoot a long distance shot into the cup, all Hell breaks loose
  • Exemptions for "arrowing" a competitor if they get on your nerves....that's the true Greek spirit!

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from but all the athletes have busted their asses for years to get to where they are. Timed events are decided by hundredths of seconds. A clean swimmer has every right to be angry with a doper who may gain a tenth of a second and thus literally steal an undeserved victory. Dopers should be called out for what they are. I certainly agree victors should display grace and respect in most cases but a doper obviously has no respect for their fellow competitors since they're willing to cheat them. All clean athletes should be offended by that.

No argument with much of this except to look at the circumstances surrounding both of Efimova's suspensions. This wasn't McGuire/Sosa, anabolic steroids or blood doping. On the first occasion, she was banned 16 months for a substance 3 NBA players just missed only 10 games for. She did the time. The 2nd occasion was involving a substance the IOC had not even banned until the first of this year and there was questions bout how long it stays in the system.

The topic of what constitutes a "performance enhancer" today is a very broad debate. Using some criteria, the cupping being used to help recover could fall into this category. It's not a very black and white issue anymore with all that's out there.

No argument with much of this except to look at the circumstances surrounding both of Efimova's suspensions. This wasn't McGuire/Sosa, anabolic steroids or blood doping. On the first occasion, she was banned 16 months for a substance 3 NBA players just missed only 10 games for. She did the time. The 2nd occasion was involving a substance the IOC had not even banned until the first of this year and there was questions bout how long it stays in the system.

The topic of what constitutes a "performance enhancer" today is a very broad debate. Using some criteria, the cupping being used to help recover could fall into this category. It's not a very black and white issue anymore with all that's out there.
In some sense the reaction to Efimova is due to our progressing understanding of just how thoroughly the Russians manipulated the drug testing four years ago. Like it or not, fair or not, she's become the poster girl of the Cheating Russian.

I watched some of the archery. Pretty interesting to watch them shoot a target 70 meters away.

The bow has all of those counter balance weights in them which is why on their "follow thru" the bows drop forward. There is a thin string on the front to give them an idea on wid direction and speed.

It's interesting to see the arch they put on the shot to cover the 70 meter distance. Pretty cool.

Definitely different than 9-10 grade gym class.

Is training a performance enhancer? I think that I might have a shot if I could go against people who haven't been training and practicing to improve their performance. Maybe I could be on a handball team because I have no clue about the rules unlike those who have stiriven to gain advantage over me by learning them. And don't get me started on all those athletes who use towel to wipe off sweat so that they can better compete. Towelers!

In some sense the reaction to Efimova is due to our progressing understanding of just how thoroughly the Russians manipulated the drug testing four years ago. Like it or not, fair or not, she's become the poster girl of the Cheating Russian.

While true, it doesn't really consider that Efimova lives in southern California, trains with US swimmers , works with US trainers, and what she served time for was not the same thing as what the Russians were doing in Sochi. King's comments put this Russian behind the iron curtain in a science lab for performance enhancement....and not at all an accurate picture of what happened.

While true, it doesn't really consider that Efimova lives in southern California, trains with US swimmers , works with US trainers, and what she served time for was not the same thing as what the Russians were doing in Sochi. King's comments put this Russian behind the iron curtain in a science lab for performance enhancement....and not at all an accurate picture of what happened.

King has an opinion on the matter, just like you. King's opinion holds more weight than yours because she is direct competition with her, you are not. Stop with the holier than thou bullshit and let it rest.

I watched some of the archery. Pretty interesting to watch them shoot a target 70 meters away.

The bow has all of those counter balance weights in them which is why on their "follow thru" the bows drop forward. There is a thin string on the front to give them an idea on wid direction and speed.

It's interesting to see the arch they put on the shot to cover the 70 meter distance. Pretty cool.

Definitely different than 9-10 grade gym class.
Agree with you. When I found out it was 70m, I was blown away. I'm not a bow hunter, but have a friend that always hunts deer, turkey, and pigs here in Central Texas. 25 yards is his longest shot that he feels comfortable with for a clean kill and won;t take anything longer. 70m is crazy long and the 10 mark must be only 4-5 inches in diameter and the S. Koreans were hammering it

King has an opinion on the matter, just like you. King's opinion holds more weight than yours because she is direct competition with her, you are not. Stop with the holier than thou bullshit and let it rest.

Relax...it's an internet message board. If you weren't interested in reading random thoughts and opinions, why are you here?

I don't care if one weighs my opinion more than King or not, and I never said she should kiss the Russian's ass. My comment was quite simply that I didn't agree with the general US public heaping praise on King for shoving the Russians face in it by showing her a lack of respect. I thought it made her look petty and like a brat but never said anyone need to agree with me either.

Relax...it's an internet message board. If you weren't interested in reading random thoughts and opinions, why are you here?

I don't care if one weighs my opinion more than King or not, and I never said she should kiss the Russian's ass. My comment was quite simply that I didn't agree with the general US public heaping praise on King for shoving the Russians face in it by showing her a lack of respect. I thought it made her look petty and like a brat but never said anyone need to agree with me either.

She wasn't the only swimmer to comment on it, if memory serves me correct they mentioned at least 3 others and none of those three were Americans, and the Brazilian dominated crowd was also very vocal in expressing their displeasure that she was there.

King was asked to comment on the situation and she did, which in America she has every right to do. I thought she handled herself rather well. She didn't stand in front of Efimova and give her the D-X and yell 'SUCK IT!' She said she felt the sport should be clean, and if you get caught you shouldn't be allowed in The Olympics (she said the same thing about two American sprinters as well).

If you don't like it, that is your option... but to go on a message board and lambast her for it is rather, as you put it, low class.

She wasn't the only swimmer to comment on it, if memory serves me correct they mentioned at least 3 others and none of those three were Americans, and the Brazilian dominated crowd was also very vocal in expressing their displeasure that she was there.

King was asked to comment on the situation and she did, which in America she has every right to do. I thought she handled herself rather well. She didn't stand in front of Efimova and give her the D-X and yell 'SUCK IT!' She said she felt the sport should be clean, and if you get caught you shouldn't be allowed in The Olympics (she said the same thing about two American sprinters as well).

If you don't like it, that is your option... but to go on a message board and lambast her for it is rather, as you put it, low class.

Well, if King reads this board I'll be sure to apologize for hurting her feelings...and didn't realize disagreeing with actions of an athlete not showing some simple class to an opponent that just competed in the same race as you (and cleared by the IOC to do so) was lambasting. This board may go out of business if we took criticism off the table.

As LionJim pointed out above, right or wrong, Efimova was made the poster child for the Russian drug scandal.... and as I also mentioned for those paying attention, I agreed with it until I read the background of Efimova's situation. No, I'm not shedding a tear for the Russian but think that whole situation was distorted into something it really wasn't...and King poured gas on the fire by her actions. If you enjoyed it, more power to you. I found it about as enjoyable as a Harbaugh handshake flyby.

The IOC is as bad as FIFA - they pretty much let the Russians completely off the hook when what went on at Sochi was insane - completely State sponsored cheating on a huge scale. I completely get Kings reaction. She trained how long for this event and even the hint that an opponent was cheating would piss me off and add to that one who was already caught before. She then used what is now a banned substance but was cleared to come because she said she took it before the ban. She then compared herself to Phelps and him smoking weed - yeah that really helped him in the pool.
E2F3CE85-353A-4C16-8391-7AE21E26B8BA_mw1024_s_n.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT