ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lost my best pal yesterday...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
...my 21 year old blue point siamese roommate was fine. Then he wasn't. I found him in a corner w/ blood all over his fur and he started spitting up more blood. My Vet is for some reason closed on Wednesdays, so I grabbed him and sped to the emergency vet place. They were great - they knew I was coming and did everything right. They didn't even need to euthanize him because his heart rate was non-existent at that point. Something just gave out after all these years.

RIP Canoe. You were a good dog. Most recent picture:

167829909_10159502387074283_8676943899272941105_n.jpg

Last edited:
...my 21 year old blue point siamese roommate was fine. Then he wasn't. I found him in a corner w/ blood all over his fur and he started spitting up blood. My Vet is for some reason closed on Wednesdays, so I grabbed him and sped to the emergency vet place. They were great - they knew I was coming and did everything right. They didn't even need to euthanize him. Something just gave out after all these years.

86836439_10158234578859283_1611194987536449536_n.jpg
My sympathy. I have an 18 year old Tonkinese and know her time grows short.
Before the Tonk we had two consecutive Siamese, both living long, memorable, lives.

...my 21 year old blue point siamese roommate was fine. Then he wasn't. I found him in a corner w/ blood all over his fur and he started spitting up blood. My Vet is for some reason closed on Wednesdays, so I grabbed him and sped to the emergency vet place. They were great - they knew I was coming and did everything right. They didn't even need to euthanize him. Something just gave out after all these years.

I feel for you sir.

I always wanted a 'blue'.

:(

So sorry man. My Lillith turned 16 today. It’s tough when pets get older. Glad you had your pal for so long.

Reactions: TheGLOV
MtNit am so so sorry for your loss. Not a cat person but 21 years seems like a pretty full life. Sounds like he did pretty darn good up until just his last couple of hours.

The pictures you posted are great, I can envision him swatting away your putts in your backyard.

You both are in my prayers tonight. 🙂

Sorry for your loss , they are our best buddies, in the last 40 years i've had 3 cats. I ached when we had to put my two prior ones down, and they went as far as they could. It's a difficult time and i wish you my condolences through them.

So sorry to hear of your loss. I never had any respect for cats when I was young. My wife however, always had cats as a child. When we purchased our home, she adopted a kitten. I named it Jeopardy. We had that cat for 18 years. It was really horrible when she passed. I'm now in the same situation with 1 14.5 year old Puggle. These animals are such an integral part of our lives.....
I sometimes think we love our pets because they are pretty uncomplicated. You care for them and they reciprocate. Not always that easy with humans!

Beautiful animal.

I hope you get another soon - our lives are better for it and so are theirs.
She's moved to LaBelle, but I know where to go. From 1987 to now, I've had one of her cats. Call Aunt Bea. She's the best.

That said, I need his little sister (rescue) to live out her own life. The last thing she needs is some little male kitten/hell raiser right now.

siambalirags.com

Reactions: KanePoster
So sorry to hear of your loss. I never had any respect for cats when I was young. My wife however, always had cats as a child. When we purchased our home, she adopted a kitten. I named it Jeopardy. We had that cat for 18 years. It was really horrible when she passed. I'm now in the same situation with 1 14.5 year old Puggle. These animals are such an integral part of our lives.....
I sometimes think we love our pets because they are pretty uncomplicated. You care for them and they reciprocate. Not always that easy with humans!
I loved Canoe because I could carry on a conversation with him that could involve squirrels, crows, or the test board. He always agreed w/ me.

I loved Canoe because I could carry on a conversation with him that could involve squirrels, crows, or the test board. He always agreed w/ me.
So true. My wife passed 11 years ago and Poz (named for P Posluszny) has been my constant companion. He's listened to all my issues of grief, my tears and never judged me. Now he's old like me and I dread the inevitable.

Reactions: MtNittany
I love both cats and dogs and know how difficult it is when we lose them. I’ve lost dogs and cats in my life and it never gets easier.

sorry for your loss my friend. Get a kitten.

Sorry for your loss . I had a part Manx for 16 years named Faluka. I put my dog Maddie down last year on April 20th. Still think of of both of them damn near every day. Cherish your memories.

Sorry to hear about Canoe. It’s so hard losing a pet, especially one that’s been with you for so long. Been there. 21 years with a pet, your best friend, means a lot great times. Cherish them. 🙂

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Here's the remaining muskrat. Lilly turns 15 in a week or so. It's sobering that she could go in a heartbeat like Canoe and I'd have to start interacting w/ my neighbors. She was separated from her Mom before her eyes were open. Wound up in a shelter in Naples. I went and grabbed her as fast as I could. She knows how to make the ball go around. Right now I believe she thinks I offed Canoe. I assume this will pass.

Sorry to hear about Canoe (great name btw). I'm both a cat and dog guy but more of a cat guy.

Does Lily have a bit of Himalayan in her?

Sorry to hear about Canoe (great name btw). I'm both a cat and dog guy but more of a cat guy.

Does Lily have a bit of Himalayan in her?
She's a mutt - where the siamese gene just appeared out of nowhere. Her brother was a black cat. She's a Lilac if you had to call her something. I just call her Sweet Peas. She only weighs 7 lbs. fully grown.

BTW - Canoe's name was taken from the original That Darn Cat movie. Canoe was Hayley Mill's BF's name. He was a surfer and smoked a pipe. I thought it appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agoodnap
Very sorry for your loss. One of the hardest times in my life was saying goodbye to my best buddy. Hang in there. Time will heal.

...my 21 year old blue point siamese roommate was fine. Then he wasn't. I found him in a corner w/ blood all over his fur and he started spitting up more blood. My Vet is for some reason closed on Wednesdays, so I grabbed him and sped to the emergency vet place. They were great - they knew I was coming and did everything right. They didn't even need to euthanize him because his heart rate was non-existent at that point. Something just gave out after all these years.

Sorry to hear this news. Pets are family and hurts just as much as a relative passing on. Sounds like wonderful memories you will always have. Beers are on me next time at the Silverball Museum.

Sorry to hear this news. Pets are family and hurts just as much as a relative passing on. Sounds like wonderful memories you will always have. Beers are on me next time at the Silverball Museum.
I still have a couple of passes. Hope they haven't expired. I had their tech up here last month trying to fix my Surfer machine. He failed. Twice. I need to get down there and play that Charlie's Angel's machine and have some Yuengs (if they're not $8/pint by now).

Last edited:
Reactions: bwifan
Sorry, Mt. Nittany. As many times as I've been through this sort of thing I know it never gets easier. In fact, it seems harder the older we get.

So sorry for your loss. He looks like a beautiful little guy and is in a good place now.

I still have a couple of passes. Hope they haven't expired. I had their tech up here last month trying to fix my Surfer machine. He failed. Twice. I need to get down there and play that Charlie's Angel's machine and have some Yuengs (if they're not $8/pint by now).

They are easy going... I don't think those cards ever expire and they would still honor them if they did. Most people buy the 1 hour pass and stay 5 hours they never ask anyone to leave. Beers and Happy Hour are always a good deal there. I have a bunch of passes if you ever need any, they are always handing them out when I walk by as I am going out for dinner on Atlantic Avenue.

She's moved to LaBelle, but I know where to go. From 1987 to now, I've had one of her cats. Call Aunt Bea. She's the best.

That said, I need his little sister (rescue) to live out her own life. The last thing she needs is some little male kitten/hell raiser right now.

siambalirags.com
Go rescue an older cat to keep her company, she would appreciate it. I did that twice in my life and it worked out fine. Anyway sorry about Canoe.

Reactions: GreggK
Go rescue an older cat to keep her company, she would appreciate it. I did that twice in my life and it worked out fine. Anyway sorry about Canoe.
I already have a rescue cat named Lilly from siamese rescue. She was separated from her Mom before her eyes were opened. I owe them everything - they even put Lilly on their calender - but siameserescue.org is pretty much out of business now. If/when I get another cat, it will be from a breeder. Not being selfish, just being practical. I want a balance.

Reactions: GreggK

Tough day. My advice is to get another if you don't already have one. It won't ever be the same but it will still fill a big part of that empty space in your heart.

I always called him a dog. Siamese are like dogs in that they will fetch, etc. Up to a certain point of course.
Growing up we had a sealpoint Siamese cat. She would sometimes growl if a stranger, or someone she thought was a threat came to the door. She'd also camp out with you if you were sick.

Sorry for your loss!

What a pussy......................................just a beautiful cat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT