ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Little-known films which knock you out:

MV5BYTQxYWJlYTgtMTk5MS00ZGFiLWI5MWItYjhkNjM3YmUyNjYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_UX67_CR0,0,67,98_AL_.jpg

The Conversation (1974)
Full Cast & Crew
Directed by
Francis Ford Coppola
Writing Credits
Francis Ford Coppola ... (written by)
Cast (in credits order) verified as complete
Gene Hackman ...
Harry Caul
John Cazale ...
Stan
Allen Garfield ...
Bernie Moran
Frederic Forrest ...
Mark
Cindy Williams ...
Ann
Michael Higgins ...
Paul
Elizabeth MacRae ...
Meredith (as Elizabeth Mac Rae)
Teri Garr ...
Amy
Harrison Ford ...
Martin Stett
Mark Wheeler ...
Receptionist

Also The In Crowd. Set in Philly in the early to mid 60s. Essentially about Hy Lit with the names changed to avoid infringment(s). With Donovan's kid as the lead (Ione Skye's brother). Lots of good Philly locales and authentic scenery (somehow they got to use some old Reading Blueliners, for example). One scene was set at the the late Kona Kai restaurant in Bala. And cameos by Sally Starr playing herself and Peter Boyle playing his father (as it was set in a tv studio where other shows were shot).
Not sure if mentioned but Heaven Help US - 1985 film, several members of the cast went on to bigger careers. Included a young Mary Stuart Masterson who was mentioned on this board a few days ago. And a very young Patrick Dempsey.

worlds-end.jpg

The World's End.

Also TR Baskin - really good work by Candace Bergen, and a very underrated performance by James Caan. much different than his Godfather performance a year later.

I tried so hard to like Worlds End, I loved the first 3/4 of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz was a lot of fun but I just couldn't get into
Worlds End. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I am looking forward to Baby Driver. (same director) the trailers look pretty good.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Three I forgot...

The Pursuit of DB Cooper, with Treat Williams and Robert Duvall. A studio dispute stopped all circulation after theater release. I had to find a VHS copy to digitize a few years ago.

maxresdefault.jpg

...Ticket to Heaven, with Nick Mancuso, Saul Rubinek, and Kim Cattrall. Cults were big back then ('81), and this story tracks the recruitment and ultimate risky rescue of Mancuso.

MV5BMTk4NDMxMjU4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDEwNDM0MQ@@._V1_.jpg

...and Looker (Albert Finney, James Coburn, Susan Dey) - digital theft of beauty, murders included. The premise is actually happening in Hollywood now, with studios digitally finishing movies after the actors are deceased (Peter Cushing in The Force Awakens, and likely Carrie Fisher in The Last Jedi).

affiche.jpg

Reactions: psuro
Cross of Iron, directed by Peckinpah starring James Coburn. A look at the German perspective in Russia. Rarely on. Similar to Fury.

The first one to come to mind was "In the Company of Men" - a brutal, cold blooded emotional film with Aaron Eckhart & Matt Molloy

For those that like "Local Hero" I'd recommend an earlier Bill Forsyth film, "Gregory's Girl" - a great coming of age film

others that I think fit the bill:

"Romanoff & Juliette" - a 60s Cold Waresatire written by and starring Peter Ustinoff as the leader of a tiny, insignificant country that holds the tie breaking vote for a United Nations resolution and is wooed by both the U.S. and the Soviet Union

"The Russia House" - a good adaptation of le Carré novel starring Sean Connery & Michelle Pfeiffer

"Running on Empty" - River Phoenix as the oldest child in a family on the run from the FBI with Judd Hirsch, Christine Lahti & Martha Plimpton

"Dogfight" - River Phoenix as a young soldier on his last day before he ships off for Vietnam

"Two For the Road" - a non-sequential look at an up & down marriage with Audrey Hepburn & Albert Finney

"A Face In the Crowd" - you'll never look at Andy Griffith the same way after you see it

Some very "under the radar" movies that I have enjoyed include:
The Ten Commandments
Casablanca
Ben Hur
The Godfather
On the Waterfront
Citizen Kane

I would recommend any of these

Where could I find these small independent films? They look interesting...

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
"A Face In the Crowd" - you'll never look at Andy Griffith the same way after you see it

"Pray for the Wildcats" ditto.

For those that like "Local Hero" I'd recommend an earlier Bill Forsyth film, "Gregory's Girl" - a great coming of age

If you like Bill Forsyth, watch Comfort and Joy. "That Mr. Bunny is a renegade." FYI Mr. Bunny is an ice cream truck involved in a vicious trade war between rival Italian ice cream vendors in Glasgow mediated by a lovelorn radio talk show host. Don't ask, just watch it.

Reactions: LionJim
Here's a really great, sad, funny flick I enjoy starring Alan Arkin. He plays a great part as well as the actors who play his family members (kids, wife, and brother). I don't even know where to find it on media. Great, great movie IMO....Coupe DeVille.

Quick summary: Guy has three college age sons who are all scattered around the country. He tells the oldest he wants his prized car brought home because it's important to their mother. The three kids take a cross-country journey home with the car (and experience many adventures) to find that Pop (Arkin) has something to tell them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099310/

Last edited:
If you like Bill Forsyth, watch Comfort and Joy. "That Mr. Bunny is a renegade." FYI Mr. Bunny is an ice cream truck involved in a vicious trade war between rival Italian ice cream vendors in Glasgow mediated by a lovelorn radio talk show host. Don't ask, just watch it.
In regards to any Bill Forsyth film, it's always a case of "don't ask, just watch it."

A really good dialogue driven movie:
The Man From Earth
tumblr_lngbziA8OA1qzfi3to1_500.jpg

For a little humor, a fun spoof of the spaghetti western with great music:
My Name is Nobody
51%2BA7NjYEEL.jpg

You've said that many times. It's one of my favorites, too, and I think it's Paul's finest performance.

Here's Sully with Rub:
NobodysFool_NewmanTaylorVince.png

A bit off topic, but Richard Russo, who wrote the novel and screenplay nobody's fool, has brought Sully, Rub, Sullys boy back for an encore novel.

Everybody's Fool

A couple more 'under the radar' films worthy of your time....

Brothers Bloom - A 'caper' comedy starring Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody as con-artist brothers, and Rachel Weisz as their 'one last' mark who may or may not be scamming the brothers as well. This is the sophomore effort from Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, Star Wars: The Last Jedi) and it has one of the best opening scenes of the genre (below):

Primer - A time-travel thriller that got a lot of attention for debut writer/director Shane Carruth (Grand Jury Prize at Sundance no less), largely because he relies on sound math and science (and similar dialogue) to explain how time travel works in this universe. Carruth is a former mathematics/engineering major and doesn't 'dumb-down' dialogue for the viewer. What happens when two entrepreneurs accidentally discover time travel and the practical, philosophical questions that emerge is really fascinating. Below is the trailer and a diagram of how time travel works....wrapping your head around the ending will keep you up at night.

I would also include Carruth's follow up film, 'Upstream Color', which is even more experimental and mind-boggling than Primer, but one film at a time...

650px-Time_Travel_Method-2.svg.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT