ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Little-known films which knock you out:

One of Amy Heckerling's masterpieces, Johnny Dangerously. Loved it as a kid, hadn't seen it for 30 years, and then stumbled upon it. Decided to watch it to see if it really was funny. Was stunned that it was even funnier than I remembered. A lot more adult humor than I had ever picked up on as a kid. Peter Boyle was brilliant in it. Has Amy Heckerling made a bad movie? She's one of the best directors ever, imho.

9d0cfea86bcba0205cf994cab6546330.jpg

JohnnyDangerously17-e1403060104533.png

moronie-from-sweden.jpg
OMG, how could I forget this one??? One of my all-time favs!!! "Ju fargin bastages...ju have wiolated my fargin rights..."

On the sports side, The Greatest Game Ever Played is up there as one of my favorite sports movies, yet I rarely talk to people who have seen it.

Reactions: psuro
All of Me - I'd forgotten how funny that movie was.

Two other lesser viewed movies with Steve Martin that I really liked:

- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

And

- The Spanish Prisoner

Battle of Algiers

Lost Command, Anthony Quinn

Go Tell the Spartans, Burt Lancaster

Battle of Neretva, Yul Brynner

Battle of Algiers

Lost Command, Anthony Quinn

Go Tell the Spartans, Burt Lancaster

Battle of Neretva, Yul Brynner

If we are going back that far, then Rene Clement's 1952 Forbidden Games (Jeus Inderdits in French), a film describing how two children (including a 5 year old Brigitte Fossey) deal with the horrors of WWII. It won Best Foreign Film, so it was not exactly underappreciated in its time, but not many people know it today. Definitely worth a look if you can find it.

220px-Jeux_interdits.jpg

Reactions: jomouli23
If we are going back that far, then Rene Clement's 1952 Forbidden Games (Jeus Inderdits in French), a film describing how two children (including a 5 year old Brigitte Fossey) deal with the horrors of WWII. It won Best Foreign Film, so it was not exactly underappreciated in its time, but not many people know it today. Definitely worth a look if you can find it.

220px-Jeux_interdits.jpg
It's on TCM once a year or so. Yes, very fine.

Agree on Johnny Dangerously ... a true classic

another great comedy of this vain is "29th Street" with Danny Aiello and Anthony LaPaglia. based on the winner of the first NY State lottery

its been called a cross between "its a wonderful life" and "goodfellas", which is a perfect description.

Not an unknown, but it gets me for 2.5 hours every time I see it on the tube.

51KJ8AAI25L.jpg

Thinking about Local Hero reminded me of this one, Cold Turkey from back in the early 70's. It has some similarities to Local Hero but was a more straight-ahead comedy. Great cast too, many went on to much bigger and better things such as Jean Stapleton and Bob Newhart...

Some very "under the radar" movies that I have enjoyed include:
The Ten Commandments
Casablanca
Ben Hur
The Godfather
On the Waterfront
Citizen Kane

I would recommend any of these

Here's another movie that hid in the weeds, also with a good cast and I watched it many times. Something about this movie was always compelling to me although the dialogue may be lacking a bit and the plot has been done to death it's still a winner in my book...Defiance with Jan Michael Vincent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT