ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It is time to put an end to some ugly people: row skippers

TenerHallTerror

Oct 18, 2016
the future missus and I just did an 18 hour jaunt to San Jose for a friend's birthday party.

It was awesome.

But damn if my blood didn't boil getting off the plane in San Jose.

We were in row 20. Someone in row 21 tried to jump past us as we were de-boarding the plane.

We were not slow, we were not obnoxious, we were just waiting for the people in row 19 to leave LIKE THE GODDAM HUMAN BEINGS WE ARE!!

I pulled a full Round Mound of Rebound on that chick and boxed her out, almost into row 22. I wrecked her worse than Eric Straton!

Row skippers be warned, your time has come in this great nation. We see you. You know you're wrong. Decisions have consequences. You've been warned.

Yes, I wouldn't feel embarrassed to "hip check" those folk.

That said --- if I (1) have a window seat, and (2) am flying into a hub which (3) is also my final destination (e.g., Delta if flying to Atlanta), I will wait until the end to disembark. A number of people on the plane will have connections and even that extra 30 seconds could prove valuable to them.

Last edited:
the future missus and I just did an 18 hour jaunt to San Jose for a friend's birthday party.

It was awesome.

We were in row 20. Someone in row 21 tried to jump past us as we were de-boarding the plane.

We were not slow, we were not obnoxious, we were just waiting for the people in row 19 to leave LIKE THE GODDAM HUMAN BEINGS WE ARE!!

I pulled a full Round Mound of Rebound on that chick and boxed her out, almost into row 22. I wrecked her worse than Eric Straton!

Row skippers be warned, your time has come in this great nation. We see you. You know you're wrong. Decisions have consequences. You've been warned.
Grasshopper,

You weren’t proactive. As soon as the plane lands, you unbuckle your seat belt despite instructions to the contrary. As soon as the plane comes to a stop, even if it is before the “authenticating chime” to do so, you get out of your aisle seat and stand in the aisle next to your seat. So as to not appear that you’re a type A aggressive individual, you simply start stretching and rubbing your back like it’s really bothering you. Fellow passengers behind you will immediately sympathize with your demonstrated “ailment”.

Your presence in the aisle thus becomes an obstacle for those seated in rows behind you. As the plane “deplanes” you courteously allow the opposing side of the aisle to exit first and then your seat mates. Only then do you exit the plane.

It will drive the people behind you bonkers that you have manners.:)

It was awesome.

Also, along with row skippers, I wish people would stop carrying on bags that are too big to fit in the overhead yet they stand there forever trying to make it fit. Check your damn bag!

Maybe the row jumpers think the ten seconds they gain will make their lives better. Their time is much more valuable than that of everyone around them.

Reactions: Rollin Stone
I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they have a crisis they need to deal with and don’t want to announce it to everyone to justify their actions. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to get to the hospital to see my dying mother. Fortunately, I made it. And those few seconds could literally make a world of difference in that persons life.

That said, if the loud type A is on their phone and just appearing to be more important than everyone else, by all means.... BOX OUT.

Reactions: BBrown
1st class has same issues. Also love the people with area 5-6 clutter up the aisle for pre-board

The only problem with that is there's no such thing as a first class individual. :D
...unless you went to PSU.

I’ll row skip on someone who’s not prepared to disembark and I’ll also wait to disembark last for an airport with notoriously slow baggage claim, like Buffalo. By coincidence, I’m sitting on a plane bound for BUF.

Reactions: bmw199
Sometimes, these people with the oversize carry-ons have to go farther back than their seats to find a place to fit their carry-ons overhead. That really messes things up. These carry-ons are made to conform to the size requirement of the airlines, but people overfill them and bulge them out.

I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they have a crisis they need to deal with and don’t want to announce it to everyone to justify their actions. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to get to the hospital to see my dying mother. Fortunately, I made it. And those few seconds could literally make a world of difference in that persons life.

That said, if the loud type A is on their phone and just appearing to be more important than everyone else, by all means.... BOX OUT.
Or maybe they have to catch a connecting flight.

Agree. You never know if the person is catching a connecting flight with little or no time.

Reactions: SCBlueFan

It was awesome.

Oh really, you want to get out of the crowded plane quickly, there is a club for that, it's called everyone.

It just amazes me how much time it takes for people to stow their bag and sit. Then in reverse, to stand up and grab your bag, and walk. It's like going through security, every other person leaves something metal in their pocket. Some airports have security lanes for different types of traveler. There is a family lane, a normal traveler lane, and an expert traveler lane. This sounds great, fellow frequent travelers should know the rules, and will have everything out of their pockets and hidden in their bag, and the line will go super fast... but EVERYONE thinks they are an expert traveler. You should have to take a F*cking test to be able to go in that lane!

Oh really, you want to get out of the crowded plane quickly, there is a club for that, it's called everyone.

It just amazes me how much time it takes for people to stow their bag and sit. Then in reverse, to stand up and grab your bag, and walk. It's like going through security, every other person leaves something metal in their pocket. Some airports have security lanes for different types of traveler. There is a family lane, a normal traveler lane, and an expert traveler lane. This sounds great, fellow frequent travelers should know the rules, and will have everything out of their pockets and hidden in their bag, and the line will go super fast... but EVERYONE thinks they are an expert traveler. You should have to take a F*cking test to be able to go in that lane!

I almost got into a fight with some young punk meth head when we flew to Miami last year. He plowed through about 5 rows of people with his girlfriend, and I said, "oh hurry up, get there!" as he bumped past me. Ran his jaw the entire time getting off the plane. Suddenly clammed up when we got to the terminal. oy vey.

and yes, I enjoy getting delayed through the TSA line because someone cannot follow the rules. laptop OUT!

Also cannot stand people who wears sandals to fly, especially men. Uh dude, you still gotta take them off, and no one wants to be anywhere near you and your nasty bare feet, which have absorbed every known disease on the airport floor.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Row skippers piss me off - but I'll also bring up the opposite problem. I fly in and out of Newark constantly - two key issues - it is prone to weather/air traffic delays (like all three metro NYC airports) and its a United hub...

I have been on several flights - extremely delayed due to the above. On occasion, the flight attendants will announce prior to landing of potential close connections and they ask all passengers not needing to deplane immediately to stay in their seats to allow passengers who have these connections the courtesy of leaving first.

Plane lands, chime goes off, and the entire plane stands and fills aisle way... like no one even listened or cared to follow the plea to allow these passengers to disembark...

You almost pushed me to Woodpecker's Plane Boarding Rant. I won't go there but there has GOT to be a better way of doing it. Some of you must be IEs - couldn't this be solved in a Freshman project?

Reactions: bison13
I almost got into a fight with some young punk meth head when we flew to Miami last year. He plowed through about 5 rows of people with his girlfriend, and I said, "oh hurry up, get there!" as he bumped past me. Ran his jaw the entire time getting off the plane. Suddenly clammed up when we got to the terminal. oy vey.

and yes, I enjoy getting delayed through the TSA line because someone cannot follow the rules. laptop OUT!

Also cannot stand people who wears sandals to fly, especially men. Uh dude, you still gotta take them off, and no one wants to be anywhere near you and your nasty bare feet, which have absorbed every known disease on the airport floor.

I'm one of THOSE people that think taking your shoes off is ridiculous. Its nothing more than a "gee don't you feel safer" now action. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure where I fit into the "frequent flyer" hierarchy. I fly about 6-8 times a year.
Never have had a problem with TSA agents in fact most of them have gone out of their way to be nice. Its crazy what a little common courtesy can get you.
I've been pretty luck the last few times and I got the pre-screened TSA line so no taking your lap top out or your shoes off. I like that. :)
I pretty much fly Southwest and its mostly been problem free. But yea people take advantage of the carry ons. At some point you gotta say "ok either the strollers, the diaper bags, the purse, the back pack and the 2 carrys ons, that mom and dad are sporting, need to be checked. :mad: I'd prefer they keep the diaper bags. LOL.
These are a couple of my favorite airports to fly into. Tucson is just awesome. Not really very busy and easy in and out for Security.
Midland-Odessa is another thats really easy in and out for security.
Albuquerque is pretty easy, I like San Diego its big but pretty easy to get around.
Cincinnati is decent.
BWI is ok for as big as it is.
Phoenix is ok.
Love Field is pretty good and DFW used to be ok now its a zoo.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Airlines don't do a good enough job of enforcing the max size of carry ons, either.

BWI security gates are pretty efficient. But you wait an hour for your checked bags. Fortunately they're about to undergo an upgrade that'll hopefully speed that up

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
I'm one of THOSE people that think taking your shoes off is ridiculous. Its nothing more than a "gee don't you feel safer" now action. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure where I fit into the "frequent flyer" hierarchy. I fly about 6-8 times a year.
Never have had a problem with TSA agents in fact most of them have gone out of their way to be nice. Its crazy what a little common courtesy can get you.
I've been pretty luck the last few times and I got the pre-screened TSA line so no taking your lap top out or your shoes off. I like that. :)
I pretty much fly Southwest and its mostly been problem free. But yea people take advantage of the carry ons. At some point you gotta say "ok either the strollers, the diaper bags, the purse, the back pack and the 2 carrys ons, that mom and dad are sporting, need to be checked. :mad: I'd prefer they keep the diaper bags. LOL.
These are a couple of my favorite airports to fly into. Tucson is just awesome. Not really very busy and easy in and out for Security.
Midland-Odessa is another thats really easy in and out for security.
Albuquerque is pretty easy, I like San Diego its big but pretty easy to get around.
Cincinnati is decent.
BWI is ok for as big as it is.
Phoenix is ok.
Love Field is pretty good and DFW used to be ok now its a zoo.

siiiiiigh, I have to go on my "shoe" rant for a second

stick with me snowflakes.

I don't agree with every security change that has been made post 9/11, but I UNDERSTAND the changes. Planes were hijacked, flown into buildings. Thousands were murdered. I can deal with that.

but jiminey crickets, the "shoe bomber" did not actually light his shoe bomb!! he didn't blow up jack sh*t. He got his ass kicked by a European basketball team. That should be the end of that story.

Forcing us to take off our shoes basically rewards failure. the guy failed, but his legacy lives on. This is the ultimate participation trophy. "Hey terrorist guy, you tried. that's all that counts"

Bullsh*t

we had such a horrible experience flying out of DFW (we missed an 11AM flight because they changed the gate from A16 to D18 and didn't really make an effort to inform anyone. We checked in at terminal A, no one bothered to let us know we needed to get to Terminal D. by the time we figured it out, we were 2 minutes late for boarding. Along with about a dozen other people!)

But flying back from San Jose was a delight, mostly because the TSA agent was SO unbelievably pleasant!! I wish I had taken down her name to give her a kudo to her boss.

BWI security gates are pretty efficient. But you wait an hour for your checked bags. Fortunately they're about to undergo an upgrade that'll hopefully speed that up

Agree. They just added the other Security gates, I think about a year or so ago but they do seem to be pretty efficient. I've noticed that flying on Sat. Morning and Sun. morning out of BWI is pretty easy. Crowds aren't that large.
Didn't know about the upgrade to the baggage area. They did put nice new digital signs up above the carousel though. LOL.

You're starting to sound like me. Between the above sentiment and your overall OUTRAGE. :eek: here, I am starting to wonder if we are related. :eek:

Agree. They just added the other Security gates, I think about a year or so ago but they do seem to be pretty efficient. I've noticed that flying on Sat. Morning and Sun. morning out of BWI is pretty easy. Crowds aren't that large.
Didn't know about the upgrade to the baggage area. They did put nice new digital signs up above the carousel though. LOL.

They just announced it a couple weeks ago

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-md-bwi-concourse-expansion-20180710-story.html

Tell us more about her pleasantries.

she had these kinda of pleasantries

chelsea_charms-big-boobs-1.jpg

Airlines don't do a good enough job of enforcing the max size of carry ons, either.
That’s because the people checking you in are probably working their 13th day in a row on a $9.50/h wage. I’ve been there and done that so two F’s are rarely given.

The United system is/was an HTML type format. To charge someone for a bag you had to spend 5 min punching in a code and then when you get cash it had to be taken to the back and signed off by a manager (while customer is standing there). I just memorized the print bag tag code and gave free bags. Didn’t charge for oversized luggage.

The goal was to get you people away from me.

That’s because the people checking you in are probably working their 13th day in a row on a $9.50/h wage. I’ve been there and done that so two F’s are rarely given.

The United system is/was an HTML type format. To charge someone for a bag you had to spend 5 min punching in a code and then when you get cash it had to be taken to the back and signed off by a manager (while customer is standing there). I just memorized the print bag tag code and gave free bags. Didn’t charge for oversized luggage.

The goal was to get you people away from me.

You. I like you.

Whenever I fly, if I need to get off the plane quickly, i'll ask the person in front of me if they mind if I go through, then ask each person in front of them loud enough for it to make it a few people ahead if they mind because I have a tight connection. Never really causes an issue. Imagine that, being polite goes a long way.

HOWEVER, one of the absolutely biggest pains in my ass regarding flying is that in the terminal. When the gate agent starts making their announcements, it doesn't mean that it's time to stand up and gather in the main walkway thus blocking everyone else walking to their gate. You will have plenty of time to stand up from your seat and make it to the gate when they call your section. Along those lines, I can't STAND when people in group 4 get as close to the gate as possible before they start calling for groups to board. Then the people from groups 1, 2 and 3 get to fight their way through you to get to the agent. There's a saying in the military that is quite appropriate for this situation: Hurry up and wait.

Row skippers piss me off - but I'll also bring up the opposite problem. I fly in and out of Newark constantly - two key issues - it is prone to weather/air traffic delays (like all three metro NYC airports) and its a United hub...

I have been on several flights - extremely delayed due to the above. On occasion, the flight attendants will announce prior to landing of potential close connections and they ask all passengers not needing to deplane immediately to stay in their seats to allow passengers who have these connections the courtesy of leaving first.

Plane lands, chime goes off, and the entire plane stands and fills aisle way... like no one even listened or cared to follow the plea to allow these passengers to disembark...

The sit and allow those with connections to deplane first is a hollow gesture. It only works kind of for those on the aisle seats. Unless of couse passengers want to play musical chairs and everyone works toward the same goal. Never gonna happen - too many people simply suck.

Reactions: The Shelter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT