ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It is time to put an end to some ugly people: row skippers

Whenever I fly, if I need to get off the plane quickly, i'll ask the person in front of me if they mind if I go through, then ask each person in front of them loud enough for it to make it a few people ahead if they mind because I have a tight connection. Never really causes an issue. Imagine that, being polite goes a long way.

HOWEVER, one of the absolutely biggest pains in my ass regarding flying is that in the terminal. When the gate agent starts making their announcements, it doesn't mean that it's time to stand up and gather in the main walkway thus blocking everyone else walking to their gate. You will have plenty of time to stand up from your seat and make it to the gate when they call your section. Along those lines, I can't STAND when people in group 4 get as close to the gate as possible before they start calling for groups to board. Then the people from groups 1, 2 and 3 get to fight their way through you to get to the agent. There's a saying in the military that is quite appropriate for this situation: Hurry up and wait.

no problem with that either, in fact I encourage it and I am willing to help someone make their connection.

but I cannot stand people who feel their need to get off the plane outweighs everyone else's.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
I had someone sitting in the aisle seat who was traveling with people sitting toward the back of the plane. Instead of exiting when it was time for our row, he decided just to sit in his seat and let the rows behind us leave until his family or traveling companions were leaving. He could have gotten up and sat in the row in front of us upon their leaving and thus allowing me to depart the plane, or else just waited for the others in the terminal outside the gate like normal people do.

I forget the words I said... they were not vulgar, but my tone was certainly not happy.

Reactions: bison13
I had someone sitting in the aisle seat who was traveling with people sitting toward the back of the plane. Instead of exiting when it was time for our row, he decided just to sit in his seat and let the rows behind us leave until his family or traveling companions were leaving. He could have gotten up and sat in the row in front of us upon their leaving and thus allowing me to depart the plane, or else just waited for the others in the terminal outside the gate like normal people do.

I forget the words I said... they were not vulgar, but my tone was certainly not happy.

Thats bush league at best and I don't think I would have been as nice about it as you.

Agree. You never know if the person is catching a connecting flight with little or no time.

On the topic of missing connections, a co-worker and I were traveling a couple months ago on the same itinerary. Flight was overbooked, so they were offering vouchers for someone to wait. The new flight plan would get you there 3 hours later than our schedule. My coworker finally takes it when they offer a $500 voucher. The plane I took ends up sitting on the tarmac with an issue, and I miss the connecting flight in charlotte by about 60 seconds.

So in the end, my coworker arrived 2 hours before me and with a $500 voucher.

On the topic of missing connections, a co-worker and I were traveling a couple months ago on the same itinerary. Flight was overbooked, so they were offering vouchers for someone to wait. The new flight plan would get you there 3 hours later than our schedule. My coworker finally takes it when they offer a $500 voucher. The plane I took ends up sitting on the tarmac with an issue, and I miss the connecting flight in charlotte by about 60 seconds.

LOL, that sounds like my luck.

I was flying to Wisconsin, with a layover in Chicago. They were offering a voucher and bus transportation for an oversold flight. I took the voucher and the caught the bus right away and got to the airport before my flight would have landed.

Whenever I fly, if I need to get off the plane quickly, i'll ask the person in front of me if they mind if I go through, then ask each person in front of them loud enough for it to make it a few people ahead if they mind because I have a tight connection. Never really causes an issue. Imagine that, being polite goes a long way.

HOWEVER, one of the absolutely biggest pains in my ass regarding flying is that in the terminal. When the gate agent starts making their announcements, it doesn't mean that it's time to stand up and gather in the main walkway thus blocking everyone else walking to their gate. You will have plenty of time to stand up from your seat and make it to the gate when they call your section. Along those lines, I can't STAND when people in group 4 get as close to the gate as possible before they start calling for groups to board. Then the people from groups 1, 2 and 3 get to fight their way through you to get to the agent. There's a saying in the military that is quite appropriate for this situation: Hurry up and wait.
Yeah, I never understood why people are in a hurry to get on the plane. It's not leaving without you. The only reason I can think of is trying to find space for your carry on. I also never understood the need to jump up the second the plane lands, get your carry on out and stand in the aisle. Find, stand up and stretch but you aren't going anywhere. And I've never gotten to the baggage claim to find out that my bags are already waiting for me no matter if I'm the last one off the plane.

Yeah, I never understood why people are in a hurry to get on the plane. It's not leaving without you. The only reason I can think of is trying to find space for your carry on. I also never understood the need to jump up the second the plane lands, get your carry on out and stand in the aisle. Find, stand up and stretch but you aren't going anywhere. And I've never gotten to the baggage claim to find out that my bags are already waiting for me no matter if I'm the last one off the plane.

Huh?

Just fly first class. Then you don’t have to deal with THOSE. PEOPLE. :eek: .
fly on someone else's airplane? that's for poors
R7WexAp3VG8iVSIAgxEwPu1fyDKSpJilKgUhZvj8.jpeg

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I was flying to Wisconsin, with a layover in Chicago. They were offering a voucher and bus transportation for an oversold flight. I took the voucher and the caught the bus right away and got to the airport before my flight would have landed.

My wife (fiancé at the time) lived in Milwaukee a few years ago. Depending on the cost, I would sometimes fly into Chicago and take the bus to MKE. That thing is a great idea, and more places should have that option.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Agree that some people need to deplane to catch a connection. That's fair. Or perhaps they have some other urgent matter as another poster described with his mother. BUT... I run into row skippers every flight, and none of them seem to be stressed or rushed. If it was me, I'd say "excuse me may i get out first? close to missing my connection, etc." Whenever anyone says that in while waiting in security, I always let them past me. Would hope one day someone gives me the same wiggle room.

^^This^^^ x1000.
If the airlines would be more proactive enforcing this, the on time departures and landings
would increase 10 fold.

But if you carry on your oversized bag, they’ll check it for free!

Reactions: BBrown
But if you carry on your oversized bag, they’ll check it for free!

WHich is fine if people would just go to the gate and get a gate check tag, then drop it off before getting on the plane. Instead they try to look helpless stuffing their elephant into a bread box so the flight attendant will have to stop what she's doing and come get the bag

It's rare, but it does happen that you get to the baggage claim and it's waiting for you.

But the problem is that people don't want to check a bag. They don't want to pay for it, and they don't want to wait on the back end for it. So they rush to get on the plane to claim their overhead space. Some people are in a hurry to get off the plane, some seem to want to go in slow-mo. Stand up, grab your bag, exit the plane. I just don't understand why people in general can f*ck around so much. It's like they are going through life without a purpose. I recently went to an outdoor concert, and of course everyone has to drink giant overpriced racing beer. So when I had to use the toilet, the lines were insane. For fun we started timing people, eventually a lot of the line got into it, and it turned into a fun waiting game, we would applaud someone who did it efficiently. Sadly it took some took over 3 minutes just to urinate. It took me 22 seconds. (=ρAv)

It's rare, but it does happen that you get to the baggage claim and it's waiting for you.

But the problem is that people don't want to check a bag. They don't want to pay for it, and they don't want to wait on the back end for it. So they rush to get on the plane to claim their overhead space. Some people are in a hurry to get off the plane, some seem to want to go in slow-mo. Stand up, grab your bag, exit the plane. I just don't understand why people in general can f*ck around so much. It's like they are going through life without a purpose. I recently went to an outdoor concert, and of course everyone has to drink giant overpriced racing beer. So when I had to use the toilet, the lines were insane. For fun we started timing people, eventually a lot of the line got into it, and it turned into a fun waiting game, we would applaud someone who did it efficiently. Sadly it took some took over 3 minutes just to urinate. It took me 22 seconds. (=ρAv)

I'd also wager that you didn't wash your hands.

I have had my bags at the carousel before I got there before. I've also missed a flight because the flight left 10 minutes early, despite myself and some other guy not yet boarded due to TSA for some reason thinking 1 person checking IDs was enough.

Row skippers are a slight annoyance to me, but not a big deal. I'll sit in my seat when the plane reaches the gate until the crowd a couple of rows in front of me deplanes, then I will get up and get ready. I tend to sit in an aisle seat, so that locks in the middle and window seat passengers until I get up. Or so I thought. I've twice had a person in the window seat get up and climb over my legs just so they could stand in the aisle to wait during the deplaning process. It was probably the most rude and ridiculous behavior I've personally encountered on a plane.

Last edited:
Row skippers are a slight annoyance to me, but not a big deal. I'll sit in my seat when the plane reaches the gate until the crowd a couple of rows in front of me deplanes, then I will get up and get ready. I tend to sit in an aisle seat, so that locks in the middle and window seat passengers until I get up. Or so I thoughts. I've twice had a person in the window seat get up and climb over my legs just so they could stand in the aisle to wait during the deplaning process. It was probably the most rude and ridiculous behavior I've personally encountered on a plane.

Depends. how tall were they?
I try to always get an aisle seat but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.
At 6'3" and after 3+ hours of sitting in the middle or window seat I'm happy to just stand.
But I wouldn't climb over anyone I would ask them, if they don't mind, to let me out.

siiiiiigh, I have to go on my "shoe" rant for a second

stick with me snowflakes.

I don't agree with every security change that has been made post 9/11, but I UNDERSTAND the changes. Planes were hijacked, flown into buildings. Thousands were murdered. I can deal with that.

but jiminey crickets, the "shoe bomber" did not actually light his shoe bomb!! he didn't blow up jack sh*t. He got his ass kicked by a European basketball team. That should be the end of that story.

Forcing us to take off our shoes basically rewards failure. the guy failed, but his legacy lives on. This is the ultimate participation trophy. "Hey terrorist guy, you tried. that's all that counts"

Bullsh*t
It's all security theater to appease some people. I would feel no more or less safe if I didn't have to subject my shoes or liquids to a search. In fact in many airports in other countries you don't have to do such things. If the liquids that the TSA makes you dispose of are such a risk, why in the world are they stored in a trash bin next to all of the TSA agents and passengers in the security lines? Shouldn't any disposed unsafe objects be carted off the premises immediately to get them away from innocent bystanders?

As further evidence, look no further than the TSA precheck process. This was designed to be used by passengers that were deemed to be low risk, either by going through a voluntary background check or via their frequent flyer status. But I've sometimes seen TSA take random passengers out of the standard security line and put them in the precheck line to assist in managing the lines and wait times. But those passengers have neither done a background check nor are they frequent fliers. So the precheck background checks are complete hogwash, it's just more theater but this one also comes with a revenue stream (precheck application fees). And as a precheck flyer, don't even get me started on how those passengers that get bumped into the precheck line have no idea of how to get through the "express" lane properly, which slows down the entire purpose of that lane for everyone else in line, defeating the entire point.

I can't imagine the cost increases that are associated with implementing security "improvements," that are ultimately passed along to passengers. The financial impact of one guy's shoe bomb surely has cost this country millions over the years.

Last edited:
Depends. how tall were they?
I try to always get an aisle seat but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.
At 6'3" and after 3+ hours of sitting in the middle or window seat I'm happy to just stand.
But I wouldn't climb over anyone I would ask them, if they don't mind, to let me out.
Had they asked I'd have gotten up myself to assist them in getting out. I might roll my eyes at them because they'd be standing 1 foot from where I was sitting the whole time, but I'd allow it because they were polite. In both cases I ran into, neither passenger asked, they just started to climb over me when I didn't get up. One was a 90 pound 5' tall old Asian woman. I guess based on the stereotype of how poor Asian tourists can be I shouldn't have been surprised.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
Had they asked I'd have gotten up myself to assist them in getting out. I might roll my eyes at them because they'd be standing 1 foot from where I was sitting the whole time, but I'd allow it because they were polite. In both cases I ran into, neither passenger asked, they just started to climb over me when I didn't get up. One was a 90 pound 5' tall old Asian woman. I guess based on the stereotype of how poor Asian tourists can be I shouldn't have been surprised.

That is pretty typical of Asians. I guess its their "culture" of having to deal with billions of people but they have absolutely no concept of queuing up or waiting their turn.

I took a trans Atlantic flight on the Indian airline Vayama. Many of the passengers were novices and their behavior with respect to queuing and remaining seated was indicative of a people who live in a very crowed country. To be fair there was the segment who knew protocol and were very polite.

My overall impression what that it was a wild west (or east) free for all with limited order, all with pockets of what I would call proper behavior. Of those who had some flying experience, some were pissed and others were trying to lead by good example. Quite a fascinating experience. Fortunately I was in no rush and in a patient mood that day.

I assume he means those standing in the gate area who seemingly can't wait to get on the plane only to sit on the plane for another half hour while it boards. I wonder the same thing. In fact, I try hard to be one of the last ones to board. Not in any hurry to stuff my 6'3" frame into an airplane seat for any longer than I absolutely have to.

well the worse I ever experienced was on Frontier. We roll away from the gate and on the tarmac, but we are delayed, women jumps up with her baby and says it needs changed. The stewardess firmly but politely says, FAA rules state, we are on the tarmac, you need to be seated. Passenger wasnt having any of that, her baby needs changed. Now the stewardess really says get in you seat. Well you get the pic, the lady changes her kid at the seat, and when it is time to disembark, she throws the shitty diaper on the floor for everyone to smell. I almost lost it.

well the worse I ever experienced was on Frontier. We roll away from the gate and on the tarmac, but we are delayed, women jumps up with her baby and says it needs changed. The stewardess firmly but politely says, FAA rules state, we are on the tarmac, you need to be seated. Passenger wasnt having any of that, her baby needs changed. Now the stewardess really says get in you seat. Well you get the pic, the lady changes her kid at the seat, and when it is time to disembark, she throws the shitty diaper on the floor for everyone to smell. I almost lost it.

There was a story in the last week or so of a woman flying on (coincidentally enough) WIzz Air took a leak in the galley when the plane was being refueled (and thus the lavs were closed)

I'm convinced that the best place to find the worst of society is in an airplane or at the airport. All of the stories here further confirm that fact. I'd like to add in the person sitting behind you who has zero balance and has to use the back of your seat to help get himself standing as well as the person who treats the touchscreen entertainment monitor like a punching bag. I had someone with the both of those traits on my redeye to Scotland a couple weeks ago. I was so close to laying into him verbally but I figured it wasn't worth it. I've also heard nightmare stories from co-workers who have reclined their seat a little only to have the person behind them slam their legs into the back of the seat to prop them back up. THAT would get me thrown in airplane jail.

TSA Precheck -- I have it only because my base airport is Orlando and the security line STILL looks like it was designed by a 4-year-old. They don't pull people out of the normal line and filter them thru the precheck line. I've only ever seen that done in Vegas and it bothered the hell out of me that they did that.

I'd nominate Orlando as the worst airport that I have to go through and unfortunately, I live here so I have to put up with it. The security area is horrifically designed (there's a freakin hotel in the middle of the terminal that makes re-design of the current structure impossible), the concourses are pretty narrow, and the baggage claim is so slow that I routinely cash in for extra points thru Delta's 'Late Bags' refund. Hell, it took 50 minutes after I cleared customs last week in Orlando for my bags to come out. Sadly, that's kinda routine.

I'm convinced that the best place to find the worst of society is in an airplane or at the airport. All of the stories here further confirm that fact. I'd like to add in the person sitting behind you who has zero balance and has to use the back of your seat to help get himself standing as well as the person who treats the touchscreen entertainment monitor like a punching bag. I had someone with the both of those traits on my redeye to Scotland a couple weeks ago. I was so close to laying into him verbally but I figured it wasn't worth it. I've also heard nightmare stories from co-workers who have reclined their seat a little only to have the person behind them slam their legs into the back of the seat to prop them back up. THAT would get me thrown in airplane jail.

TSA Precheck -- I have it only because my base airport is Orlando and the security line STILL looks like it was designed by a 4-year-old. They don't pull people out of the normal line and filter them thru the precheck line. I've only ever seen that done in Vegas and it bothered the hell out of me that they did that.

I'd nominate Orlando as the worst airport that I have to go through and unfortunately, I live here so I have to put up with it. The security area is horrifically designed (there's a freakin hotel in the middle of the terminal that makes re-design of the current structure impossible), the concourses are pretty narrow, and the baggage claim is so slow that I routinely cash in for extra points thru Delta's 'Late Bags' refund. Hell, it took 50 minutes after I cleared customs last week in Orlando for my bags to come out. Sadly, that's kinda routine.

>>I'd like to add in the person sitting behind you who has zero balance and has to use the back of your seat to help get himself standing<<
+100

Miami is just as bad - came back from Bahamas and it took 2 hours to get through customs and another hour to get back through security for my connection - they had people lined up in the concourses- for some reason they had non citizens and citizens in the same lines.

Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami airports are all horrible experiences usually. The only one that never lets you down is Palm Beach.

Agree that some people need to deplane to catch a connection. That's fair. Or perhaps they have some other urgent matter as another poster described with his mother. BUT... I run into row skippers every flight, and none of them seem to be stressed or rushed. If it was me, I'd say "excuse me may i get out first? close to missing my connection, etc." Whenever anyone says that in while waiting in security, I always let them past me. Would hope one day someone gives me the same wiggle room.
I travel a lot and row skippers are a relatively new phenomenon - I just don’t get it. You get maybe 1 or 2 rows ahead. Its a dick move in my book. I have said to a few people “we all want to get off the plane” I just get a stupid stare in response.

There was a story in the last week or so of a woman flying on (coincidentally enough) WIzz Air took a leak in the galley when the plane was being refueled (and thus the lavs were closed)

And she took the piss while she was on the phone talking to someone, in full view of people filming her pissing all over the floor.

Row skippers are a slight annoyance to me, but not a big deal. I'll sit in my seat when the plane reaches the gate until the crowd a couple of rows in front of me deplanes, then I will get up and get ready. I tend to sit in an aisle seat, so that locks in the middle and window seat passengers until I get up. Or so I thought. I've twice had a person in the window seat get up and climb over my legs just so they could stand in the aisle to wait during the deplaning process. It was probably the most rude and ridiculous behavior I've personally encountered on a plane.
Let me get this straight, you are sitting in the aisle seat and letting other people behind you deplane while the middle/window seat people are stuck behind you, without agreement from the middle/window seat people, and you think the middle/window people are rude for stepping over you?

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
I travel a lot and row skippers are a relatively new phenomenon - I just don’t get it. You get maybe 1 or 2 rows ahead. Its a dick move in my book. I have said to a few people “we all want to get off the plane” I just get a stupid stare in response.
Sometimes I think that maybe it's their first time flying and they just think that the majority of the passengers stay on the plane for the next connection. I still haven't been able to convince myself of this though. It's just a lot of crappy people.

Whatever you do, don't accept a free private jet ride from Ernie Els. It won't end well.

Confirmed: Ernie Els did indeed beat the crap out of Steve Marino aboard a private jet

Jun 26, 2018
Ben Alberstadt

ernie-els-steve-marino.jpg

Perhaps you’ve heard the rumor that Ernie Els and Steve Marino (a colorful member of the Tour in his own right) put back a few and let the fists fly in Els’ private jet a few years back.

The rumor was further substantiated earlier this month when a friend of a friend to Marino, retired hockey player Mike Commodore, appeared on Barstool Sports’ Spittin Chiclets podcast and said this.

“Marino is…sitting at a bar crushing some beers. Ernie Els walks in and sits down and they have a couple beers. Els is like, “What do you do for a living?” Els has no…clue who this guy is. Marino is like, “Actually, I’m so many spots ahead of you on the money list.” They both laugh. Ernie likes him.”

Els then asked Marino if he was playing a particular tournament in Japan. When Marino said he was, Els said he’d give him a ride back to Florida on his jet. Three months later, they both make the cut at the tournament in Japan, and they finish the tournament. Marino wasn’t sure if Els remembered he’d promised him a lift, but then Els says he invited him aboard his plane…Marino, for his part, is pumped, having never experienced the joys of private aviation before.

“They get on the plane. It’s just the two of them. They’re crushing beers. They take off. Have some food. This and that. They’re having a blast. Marino’s like, ‘This is the greatest time of my life! I’m flying private. I’m crushing beers!’

“They’re standing kind of in the aisle or whatever and Ernie Els comes up to him and says something like, ‘Are you having a good time?’…and Els is like, ‘Now we fight!’ and straight-up headbutts him..hard…Ernie starts throwing him around all over the place, and the co-pilot comes back screaming.”

At this point in the pod, one of the hosts cuts in and mentions that the pilot said something along the lines of, “Ernie not again!” indicating Els has a penchant for such behavior.

Marino apparently, “covered in blood,” decided to try to get some sleep. “At some point, he wakes up, and Ernie Els is towering over him and just strokes him.”

The co-pilot then intervened again, in full parental mode, threatening, apparently, to ground the plane. The two then went to their separate corners and didn’t speak for the rest of the flight.

When the plane landed and Marino went to get off, Commodore said, “Ernie’s there waiting at the bottom of the stairs…and Ernie’s like, ‘Great flight, Steve, we’ll see you around!’”

Commodore also added “it’s confirmed” Marino lost a tooth in the fight(s).

Insane, right? Els, a guest on this week’s No Laying Up podcast,, essentially confirmed this tale of mile-high brawling.

“It was just myself and Stevie coming from Japan to Palm Beach,” Els said. “We had a lot to drink. There was a lot to talk about, and we kind of hugged each other. It was a lovefest on the airplane. Nobody got seriously injured. It was all in good fun. It’s just what guys do and there’s a lot of testosterone running.”

Yes. When there’s a lot of testosterone running, a certain set might take to beat the hell out of each other in private jets. The rest of us will have to be content with shouting at the television and our barroom brawls.

the future missus and I just did an 18 hour jaunt to San Jose for a friend's birthday party.

It was awesome.

But damn if my blood didn't boil getting off the plane in San Jose.

We were in row 20. Someone in row 21 tried to jump past us as we were de-boarding the plane.

We were not slow, we were not obnoxious, we were just waiting for the people in row 19 to leave LIKE THE GODDAM HUMAN BEINGS WE ARE!!

I pulled a full Round Mound of Rebound on that chick and boxed her out, almost into row 22. I wrecked her worse than Eric Straton!

Row skippers be warned, your time has come in this great nation. We see you. You know you're wrong. Decisions have consequences. You've been warned.

Any relationship to Row Jimmy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT