ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It is time to put an end to some ugly people: row skippers

I almost got into a fight with some young punk meth head when we flew to Miami last year. He plowed through about 5 rows of people with his girlfriend, and I said, "oh hurry up, get there!" as he bumped past me. Ran his jaw the entire time getting off the plane. Suddenly clammed up when we got to the terminal. oy vey.

and yes, I enjoy getting delayed through the TSA line because someone cannot follow the rules. laptop OUT!

Also cannot stand people who wears sandals to fly, especially men. Uh dude, you still gotta take them off, and no one wants to be anywhere near you and your nasty bare feet, which have absorbed every known disease on the airport floor.
The very best money I ever spent was for TSA PreChek. Now you would think that people who pay for it are sharp enough to follow the rules so they can zoom past the hoi polloi.

Forgeddaboudit.

I was coming home from HOU Hobby last Friday and some goof in front of me took off his shoes. I'm just shaking my head. THE WHOLE PURPOSE of getting TSA PreChek is so you don't have to take your clothes off. And bare feet in airports is ultra-nasty, and not only did they pick up every known disease off the floor, they picked up diseases that ain't even been named yet.

The very best money I ever spent was for TSA PreChek. Now you would think that people who pay for it are sharp enough to follow the rules so they can zoom past the hoi polloi.

I'll call myself out. I flew out of Memphis a couple weeks ago --- I forgot I had a full bottle of Pepto-Bismol in my backpack. So of course that got flagged.

The TSA agent even said: "you have Pre-Check, you should know better." I could only nod my head and agree.

I'll call myself out. I flew out of Memphis a couple weeks ago --- I forgot I had a full bottle of Pepto-Bismol in my backpack. So of course that got flagged.

The TSA agent even said: "you have Pre-Check, you should know better." I could only nod my head and agree.
I made a similar mistake going thru the line behind the goof. I had a half a bottle of water in my briefcase - which amazingly made it through. I kept my yap shut, picked up the briefcase, and kept walking. We all make mistakes - been caught with scissors once. Straight to the trash can.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
It was probably the most rude and ridiculous behavior I've personally encountered on a plane.

Yours or the person who was effected by your behavior?

Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami airports are all horrible experiences usually. The only one that never lets you down is Palm Beach.

I've never had a problem at Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, fly to both quite frequently. The trip from plane to rental car sucks at Miami, that's about the worst thing.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Let me get this straight, you are sitting in the aisle seat and letting other people behind you deplane while the middle/window seat people are stuck behind you, without agreement from the middle/window seat people, and you think the middle/window people are rude for stepping over you?

Reading comprehension not a strong point? Go back and read his post again. He said he doesn't get up until the people a couple rows IN FRONT OF HIM start deplaning.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I'd also wager that you didn't wash your hands.

Sorry if I offended you because it takes you longer to sit down and go.

(1) Well most bathroom stalls don't have a sink, and washing your hands happens AFTER the stall time. (2) BUT... this was a port-o-potty… which also doesn't have a sink. Thank good ness you can utilize the hand sanitizer while leaving the port-o-potty and not hold up the line.

So you are a double idiot. Do you ever think before you post? Welcome to 'ignore' genius.

Let me get this straight, you are sitting in the aisle seat and letting other people behind you deplane while the middle/window seat people are stuck behind you, without agreement from the middle/window seat people, and you think the middle/window people are rude for stepping over you?
Not at all. I get up when it's my turn to deplane. In other words, I get up when the people a couple of rows ahead of me start filtering out. I don't get up just to stand in the aisle for 10 minutes and not move, I'd rather sit. I've had 2 instances of people climbing over me, without asking me to move first, just to stand in the aisle right next to me for 10 minutes while we waited for our turn. People on airplanes are not the brightest.

I made a similar mistake going thru the line behind the goof. I had a half a bottle of water in my briefcase - which amazingly made it through. I kept my yap shut, picked up the briefcase, and kept walking. We all make mistakes - been caught with scissors once. Straight to the trash can.

That bottle of Pepto was in my backpack when I cleared Denver TSA Pre-Check the day before. Nobody there noticed.

Stuff like that (and your missed bottle of water) definitely makes you wonder about TSA's "miss rate."

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Sorry if I offended you because it takes you longer to sit down and go.

(1) Well most bathroom stalls don't have a sink, and washing your hands happens AFTER the stall time. (2) BUT... this was a port-o-potty… which also doesn't have a sink. Thank good ness you can utilize the hand sanitizer while leaving the port-o-potty and not hold up the line.

So you are a double idiot. Do you ever think before you post? Welcome to 'ignore' genius.
I’m crushed. And I don’t believe you.

Generally when I fly I get an aisle seat and if so I'm the guy who stands up immediately to block the row skippers. Did it on the way back from Vegas one time and some chump gave me lip and got a little physical at times. My wife had the center seat and an older lady the window. I didnt even have a bag in overhead, just a small one under the seat but I let both of my rowmates out then walked on. Older lady and a couple other people gave him some abuse walking out.

If you are in that big of a hurry then take the middle seat. There are always middle seats available in the first few rows no matter how late I get on a plane.

the future missus and I just did an 18 hour jaunt to San Jose for a friend's birthday party.

It was awesome.

But damn if my blood didn't boil getting off the plane in San Jose.

We were in row 20. Someone in row 21 tried to jump past us as we were de-boarding the plane.

We were not slow, we were not obnoxious, we were just waiting for the people in row 19 to leave LIKE THE GODDAM HUMAN BEINGS WE ARE!!

I pulled a full Round Mound of Rebound on that chick and boxed her out, almost into row 22. I wrecked her worse than Eric Straton!

Row skippers be warned, your time has come in this great nation. We see you. You know you're wrong. Decisions have consequences. You've been warned.
I’m annoyed by people who board with carry-ons. Before departure they’re desperate to fing a slot for their measured bag, lurking over top of those seated, stuffing and angling their bags in. Then, when it’s time to get the hell off the damn plane, those of us who check our bags have to put up with coats and bags being dragged out of the overhead, people leaning over you at waist level. Get TF away from me.

If it doesn’t fit under the seat in front of you, check it in. That should be the rule and it will be when I’m in charge.:eek:

Last edited:
Generally when I fly I get an aisle seat and if so I'm the guy who stands up immediately to block the row skippers. Did it on the way back from Vegas one time and some chump gave me lip and got a little physical at times. My wife had the center seat and an older lady the window. I didnt even have a bag in overhead, just a small one under the seat but I let both of my rowmates out then walked on. Older lady and a couple other people gave him some abuse walking out.

If you are in that big of a hurry then take the middle seat. There are always middle seats available in the first few rows no matter how late I get on a plane.
Middle seats should be eliminated entirely. You have to be a masochist to sit between two strangers of unknown peccadilloes and scents.

Reactions: odshowtime
Not at all. I get up when it's my turn to deplane. In other words, I get up when the people a couple of rows ahead of me start filtering out. I don't get up just to stand in the aisle for 10 minutes and not move, I'd rather sit. I've had 2 instances of people climbing over me, without asking me to move first, just to stand in the aisle right next to me for 10 minutes while we waited for our turn. People on airplanes are not the brightest.

After sitting non-stop for hours, the last thing many people want to do is sit for 10 more minutes. Maybe their back is killing them and standing will provide relief, but instead they are in agony and have to watch you lazily sit for 10 minutes? It's pretty selfish of you and comes off as a power trip. You shouldn't decide what other people can do and can't do. The impact of your behavior is potentially large on someone else. Meanwhile if you offer to let people by, the impact to you is zero (if they are not interested) to almost zero if you have to let someone by and resume sitting for 9 minutes and 43 seconds.

Reactions: Woodpecker
After sitting non-stop for hours, the last thing many people want to do is sit for 10 more minutes. Maybe their back is killing them and standing will provide relief, but instead they are in agony and have to watch you lazily sit for 10 minutes? It's pretty selfish of you and comes off as a power trip. You shouldn't decide what other people can do and can't do. The impact of your behavior is potentially large on someone else. Meanwhile if you offer to let people by, the impact to you is zero (if they are not interested) to almost zero if you have to let someone by and resume sitting for 9 minutes and 43 seconds.

+1. I thought it was pretty selfish as well.
At 6' 3", after sitting for 2+ in a plane I don't care if I don't get anywhere I just need to stand.

I’m annoyed by people who board with carry-ons. Before departure they’re desperate to fing a slot for their measured bag, lurking over top of those seated, stufing and angling their bags in. Then, when it’s time to get the hell off the damn plane, those of us who check our bags have to put up with coats and bags being dragged out of the overhead; people leaning over you at waist level. Get TF away from me.

If it doesn’t fit under the seat in front of you, check it in. That should be the rule and it will be when I’m in charge.:eek:
You can blame the airlines and their checked baggage fees for that one. People were happy to check bags until the airline started charging for it.

The only people that even have the option are those in the aisle seat. If people want to get up so badly, they can either book an aisle seat or simply ask me to move so they can get up and I'll happily oblige. If you are going to climb over me without asking first, you completely deserve any harsh comments and stares thrown your direction.

The only people that even have the option are those in the aisle seat. If people want to get up so badly, they can either book an aisle seat or simply ask me to move so they can get up and I'll happily oblige. If you are going to climb over me without asking first, you completely deserve any harsh comments and stares thrown your direction.

It's not quite a simple as just booking an aisle seat. Some people, myself included do a lot of last minute travel. Many times you don't have the option to book whatever seat you want. Southwest is often a crap-shoot with their open seating.

The only people who have the option to offer to let people out are those in the aisle seat. If the person in the aisle seat can't stand under their own weight for an extra 10 minutes, then offer to let people by. If you are going to sit there and block everyone, without even offering to let people by, you completely deserve to be climbed over, including all the harsh comments and stares thrown your direction... and you probably shouldn't book an aisle seat.

It's a sad say when one can't subject themselves to the slightest inconvenience to possibly do someone a huge favor.

Reactions: BBrown
It's not quite a simple as just booking an aisle seat. Some people, myself included do a lot of last minute travel. Many times you don't have the option to book whatever seat you want. Southwest is often a crap-shoot with their open seating.

The only people who have the option to offer to let people out are those in the aisle seat. If the person in the aisle seat can't stand under their own weight for an extra 10 minutes, then offer to let people by. If you are going to sit there and block everyone, without even offering to let people by, you completely deserve to be climbed over, including all the harsh comments and stares thrown your direction... and you probably shouldn't book an aisle seat.

It's a sad say when one can't subject themselves to the slightest inconvenience to possibly do someone a huge favor.
I'm under no obligation to stand and get out of someone's way when there's nowhere for them or me to go, because the row we are sitting in isn't deplaning until the people at the front of the plane have filtered out first. If they would like to get up and stand in the aisle, all they have to do is ask and I'll move out of their way, then will sit back down. If they say it's because they have a tight connection I'd even go as far as to ask passenger in other nearby rows to wait, allowing the person in my row to get out even faster because they have a plane to catch. But I'm not going to ask every passenger in seats next to me if they want to get up on every flight, it's ridiculous to imply that is expected of anyone sitting in an aisle seat. If someone wants to get out and they see the person in the aisle not getting up, all they need to do is ask. Otherwise I will sit patiently until it's my row's turn to deplane and then I will get up. I'm not blocking anyone by not getting up before it's our turn to deplane. I'd even consider the behavior rushing to stand despite not actually being able to go anywhere to be more ridiculous than simply sitting and waiting your turn, except in some circumstances like back or body pain from sitting or tight connections.

Reactions: RGWhirly
I'm under no obligation to stand and get out of someone's way when there's nowhere for them or me to go, because the row we are sitting in isn't deplaning until the people at the front of the plane have filtered out first. If they would like to get up and stand in the aisle, all they have to do is ask and I'll move out of their way, then will sit back down. If they say it's because they have a tight connection I'd even go as far as to ask passenger in other nearby rows to wait, allowing the person in my row to get out even faster because they have a plane to catch. But I'm not going to ask every passenger in seats next to me if they want to get up on every flight, it's ridiculous to imply that is expected of anyone sitting in an aisle seat. If someone wants to get out and they see the person in the aisle not getting up, all they need to do is ask. Otherwise I will sit patiently until it's my row's turn to deplane and then I will get up. I'm not blocking anyone by not getting up before it's our turn to deplane. I'd even consider the behavior rushing to stand despite not actually being able to go anywhere to be more ridiculous than simply sitting and waiting your turn, except in some circumstances like back or body pain from sitting or tight connections.

It's ridiculous to think you would just sit there on your little power trip hoping that someone might ask you to act like a normal person. Your behavior is so odd, that you are going to catch many off guard. Since you are the one acting strangely, you need to take the initiative to let people know what their options are. You don't have to ask anyone if they want to move, you just have to tell them you are physically unable to stand for 10 minutes, and plan to sit still and sweat.

People are under no obligation to ask you to move. There is a place for them to go, into the aisle next to your seat. Where they could spend those 10 wasted minutes getting their stuff out of the overhead, and handing overhead bags to others, thus getting everyone behind them out more quickly.

I know the perfect place for you... the window seat. Then you can act as strangely as you want and not impact others.

It's ridiculous to think you would just sit there on your little power trip hoping that someone might ask you to act like a normal person. Your behavior is so odd, that you are going to catch many off guard. Since you are the one acting strangely, you need to take the initiative to let people know what their options are. You don't have to ask anyone if they want to move, you just have to tell them you are physically unable to stand for 10 minutes, and plan to sit still and sweat.

People are under no obligation to ask you to move. There is a place for them to go, into the aisle next to your seat. Where they could spend those 10 wasted minutes getting their stuff out of the overhead, and handing overhead bags to others, thus getting everyone behind them out more quickly.

I know the perfect place for you... the window seat. Then you can act as strangely as you want and not impact others.

I would contend he is under no obligation to ask them if they want out either. It requires manners and common courtesy by all. You so strongly stating his behavior is odd is what is really odd.

At the end of a movie if you are still sitting do you look down the row and say, hey does anyone need out. If at the end of a sporting event if you decide you are going to sit there a few more minutes do you yell down the row, hey does anyone need out? Sure you don’t. If someone needs out of the row on the plane they should say excuse me and the person on the aisle should be courteous in trying to allow them to get out so they can stand. Again, all should use manners, awareness, and common decency.

oh yeah, one more airline gripe . . .

got to the ticket counter line for a 130PM flight a little before noon. Line was only 2 deep. except the passenger at the counter wasted 30 minutes arguing with the counter agent because:

- he booked his flight in coach
- he wanted to upgrade to first class
- there were no first class seats available for this flight

the ticket counter agent actually started calling up people to work AROUND this guy so they could make their flights. Finally got our boarding passes at 1245. and this a$$hole was on our flight. in coach. I wanted to punch him.

Reactions: bison13
That bottle of Pepto was in my backpack when I cleared Denver TSA Pre-Check the day before. Nobody there noticed.

Stuff like that (and your missed bottle of water) definitely makes you wonder about TSA's "miss rate."
The one that surprised me--and it was in my checked bag--was a tube of laundry detergent (that's how they sell it in Europe--for light washing in a sink). We were coming home through Paris and it was confiscated by the French equivalent of TSA--we had a precheck of all of our bags made. We got a "nobody allows this stuff to fly" comment. Mind you, the French equivalent of TSA was polite, thorough, and reasonably fast. But I'm still baffled how a tube of laundry detergent (about the size of a large tube of toothpaste) was "dangerous" or "banned".

oh yeah, one more airline gripe . . .

got to the ticket counter line for a 130PM flight a little before noon. Line was only 2 deep. except the passenger at the counter wasted 30 minutes arguing with the counter agent because:

- he booked his flight in coach
- he wanted to upgrade to first class
- there were no first class seats available for this flight

the ticket counter agent actually started calling up people to work AROUND this guy so they could make their flights. Finally got our boarding passes at 1245. and this a$$hole was on our flight. in coach. I wanted to punch him.
If you travel a lot, and I do, you really have to try to roll with it and not get worked up. Stupid stuff will happen all the time and the airlines will find a 1000 ways to screw you over. If you are the nicest person at the service counter or gate you have a much better chance of getting helped. They have all the power and these people get crapped on all the time for stuff they have no control over - I can’t tell you how many times I got rebooked into first class because I empathized with these people. Attitude will get you middle row seat in the last row on the red eye.

The one that surprised me--and it was in my checked bag--was a tube of laundry detergent (that's how they sell it in Europe--for light washing in a sink). We were coming home through Paris and it was confiscated by the French equivalent of TSA--we had a precheck of all of our bags made. We got a "nobody allows this stuff to fly" comment. Mind you, the French equivalent of TSA was polite, thorough, and reasonably fast. But I'm still baffled how a tube of laundry detergent (about the size of a large tube of toothpaste) was "dangerous" or "banned".
new twist that happened to us. We check some bags in Grand Cayman, make our way through security, no problems until they tell my wife she has to check in with another security agent. They take her back to a little room, and ask, 'is this your bag' ? yes- well we need to go thru this with you (her checked bag) . She asks if it was flagged. They say no, it is just a random check , 2 other people are there as well. But this happens relatively close to boarding, and I wasnt allowed to go back, as it was her bag. Long story short they opened her bag, saw a bunch of dirty swim suits, clothes etc some dive gear, take another look at a 60+ year old lady (the best looking one in the airport btw) and say, 'you are good to go'!! I mean whats up with that? Its the first time they have ever done this, you could kinda tell the security guys were all excited about this.

Interesting gripes about carry-on bottles etc.

I fly out of EWR... I have a brand new tube of toothpaste... Carry on goes thru TSA-Pre Check ... no problem... I fly to Burlington VT...

Returning from Burlington VT airport ... TSA-Pre Check... scan bags... stop me.. agent says my toothpaste is above max ... confiscated...

I fly out of EWR... I have a brand new tube of toothpaste... Carry on goes thru TSA-Pre Check ... no problem... I fly to Burlington VT...

Returning from Burlington VT airport ... TSA-Pre Check... scan bags... stop me.. agent says my toothpaste is above max ... confiscated...
Vermont? Should have hid it in a bottle of maple syrup.

If you travel a lot, and I do, you really have to try to roll with it and not get worked up. Stupid stuff will happen all the time and the airlines will find a 1000 ways to screw you over. If you are the nicest person at the service counter or gate you have a much better chance of getting helped. They have all the power and these people get crapped on all the time for stuff they have no control over - I can’t tell you how many times I got rebooked into first class because I empathized with these people. Attitude will get you middle row seat in the last row on the red eye.
True--we had a cancelled flight--no one at the desk to help--were told we'd have to leave the secure area to rebook. Went a couple of desks down--and a friendly clerk not only helped us but got us dinner vouchers etc. Of course, when we got to Paris, our checked bags had not flown with us, as the second flight was a smaller plane. No one told us--and we had to go to the claim desk after waiting at least a half hour for all the bags to come through. On the way back, my flight home via Dallas was cancelled (a flight I'd gotten on miles). My wife's flight (through Chicago) was fine. I was cool about it and the clerk realized we were together and rebooked me on the flight through Chicago with my wife--and put us in the center section (three seats) with no one in the middle seat. My wife slept most of the way home stretched out. Add to that, I was given frequent flyer miles for that trip, even though I'd been on an FF ticket. So A++ service and F service from the same airline on the same trip.

Wha

What puzzled me is that mine was in checked luggage.

I would contend he is under no obligation to ask them if they want out either. It requires manners and common courtesy by all. You so strongly stating his behavior is odd is what is really odd.

At the end of a movie if you are still sitting do you look down the row and say, hey does anyone need out. If at the end of a sporting event if you decide you are going to sit there a few more minutes do you yell down the row, hey does anyone need out? Sure you don’t. If someone needs out of the row on the plane they should say excuse me and the person on the aisle should be courteous in trying to allow them to get out so they can stand. Again, all should use manners, awareness, and common decency.

My point was that since he is acting oddly, it would be polite to let others know, hence when I said "You don't have to ask anyone if they want to move, you just have to tell them you are physically unable to stand for 10 minutes, and plan to sit still and sweat." I guess people just aren't polite anymore.

I travel a lot for work, and I can't always get an aisle because most of my travel is last minute. Almost everyone who is able, stands at the end of a flight. People want to stretch, and start getting at the bags so they deplane more efficiently. Seeing an able bodied person just sitting there, impacting others, is something I have NEVER seen.

At the end of movie, after sitting for ~2 hours, I stand up, just like in an airplane. Again, I never said he should ask who wants by, I said he should let them know that he plans to strangely just sit there. Same would apply to a sporting event, if for some reason I felt I had to stay seated, I would let people know. It's just common courtesy. But sports and movies are different than a plane. Most people would just step over the seat in front or behind them, or got the opposite direction. The space in a plane is so limited, that there is only one way out, and it's through someone who for some reason puts up with all the drawbacks of the aisle seat (getting bumped by everyone passes, and the beverage cart), only to not take advantage or the perks of the aisle seat. That is very strange.

Reactions: BBrown
This is the stupidest argument I've ever seen. I sit in the isle normally and do just like the OP said- I'll start standing and get ready to de-board when the people a couple rows ahead start de-boarding. Its not like I'm going to go anywhere by standing. There is literally nowhere to go. The people in rows behind need to wait till my row gets out, etc. If people from the back just start flying up, its just a mess.

No one is getting impacted- when its your rows turn, you stand up, grab your dang bag, and walk out. Love the people who are grabbing bags over everyone's heads.

If people can't sit for 5 more minutes after a 2 hour flight, maybe they shouldn't fly.

I've had the same problem with contact lens solution. I use the hydrogen peroxide solutions at the suggestion of my eye doctor. For years I struggled to find airline friendly sized bottles of it (today it's readily available). Additionally, this type of fluid has a unique container and which requires more fluid per use than the traditional stuff, so sometimes the small airline bottles aren't enough to get through a trip. This stuff isn't always easy to find in other countries for purchase, so sometimes I have to bring enough for my entire trip... the big bottle. This is over the TSA limit but TSA guidelines also allow items that are required for health/medical reasons. I took a few flights with the big bottle to test it out, ready to throw it away, and to my surprise TSA allowed it when I explained it was eye care liquid suggested by my doctor. But of course the first time I really needed the big bottle, a long trip to India, it was confiscated. And I couldn't find any in India to buy. Not a huge deal, I bought the regular stuff to get me through until I got home, but the inconsistency of TSA agents can be maddening. Checking a bag is also a workaround but I avoid doing so and pack minimally as much as possible.

True--we had a cancelled flight--no one at the desk to help--were told we'd have to leave the secure area to rebook. Went a couple of desks down--and a friendly clerk not only helped us but got us dinner vouchers etc. Of course, when we got to Paris, our checked bags had not flown with us, as the second flight was a smaller plane. No one told us--and we had to go to the claim desk after waiting at least a half hour for all the bags to come through. On the way back, my flight home via Dallas was cancelled (a flight I'd gotten on miles). My wife's flight (through Chicago) was fine. I was cool about it and the clerk realized we were together and rebooked me on the flight through Chicago with my wife--and put us in the center section (three seats) with no one in the middle seat. My wife slept most of the way home stretched out. Add to that, I was given frequent flyer miles for that trip, even though I'd been on an FF ticket. So A++ service and F service from the same airline on the same trip.
My protip for such situations is to skip going to the ticket counter and instead call the airline from your cell phone while still in the secured area. First, they will usually answer your call before the mob of other passengers gets back to the ticket counter, so you'll get near the front of the line and have first pick of alternate flight options and available seats. Second, it saves you from another trip through security. You can get your updated boarding pass either via the airlines website/app, or you can wait for the gate agents to arrive and have them print one for you. Easy peasy. Go have a beer while you wait for your new flight and laugh at the suckers going through security again. :)

Last edited:
This is the stupidest argument I've ever seen. I sit in the isle normally and do just like the OP said- I'll start standing and get ready to de-board when the people a couple rows ahead start de-boarding. Its not like I'm going to go anywhere by standing. There is literally nowhere to go. The people in rows behind need to wait till my row gets out, etc. If people from the back just start flying up, its just a mess.

No one is getting impacted- when its your rows turn, you stand up, grab your dang bag, and walk out. Love the people who are grabbing bags over everyone's heads.

If people can't sit for 5 more minutes after a 2 hour flight, maybe they shouldn't fly.
I'm as baffled as you are. Rushing to stand up to go absolutely nowhere and get your bag out of the overhead so you can bump everyone else that is rushing to go nowhere in the head with it is the odd behavior, not waiting patiently for your turn to deplane like a normal person. If the OP hasn't ever seen someone in an aisle seat not immediately get up when the "all rise" bell chimes upon reaching the gate, he isn't looking very hard. I see it on every single flight I take.

Reactions: dbsteel

This is the stupidest argument I’ve ever seen. If you are physically able to stand and don’t want to, don’t sit on the aisle. If people can’t atand for 5 minutes after a 2 hour flight, maybe they shouldn’t fly. Otherwise you impact those in your row, and hold up everyone behind you. Stop being lazy and selfish, there are other people in this world.

This is the stupidest argument I’ve ever seen. If you are physically able to stand and don’t want to, don’t sit on the aisle. If people can’t atand for 5 minutes after a 2 hour flight, maybe they shouldn’t fly. Otherwise you impact those in your row, and hold up everyone behind you. Stop being lazy and selfish, there are other people in this world.

If people can't sit for 5 more minutes after a 2 hour flight maybe THEY shouldn't fly.

I am going to be on 4 flights next week and I have an aisle seat for all four flights. I will stand up when about 2 - 3 rows in front of me are moving. And me doing this does not hold up anyone behind me. Of course that is because I am a smart traveler and my carry-on/personal item is always something I can fit under the seat in front of me and I have that in my lap ready to go, so when I hit the aisle I am already moving forward.

By the way, I have never ever had someone in the middle seat or window seat ask me if they could get up or get pissy because I was "holding them up". And if anyone in my row ever asked if they could get out, I would definitely allow them to do so.

If people can't sit for 5 more minutes after a 2 hour flight maybe THEY shouldn't fly.

I am going to be on 4 flights next week and I have an aisle seat for all four flights. I will stand up when about 2 - 3 rows in front of me are moving. And me doing this does not hold up anyone behind me. Of course that is because I am a smart traveler and my carry-on/personal item is always something I can fit under the seat in front of me and I have that in my lap ready to go, so when I hit the aisle I am already moving forward.

By the way, I have never ever had someone in the middle seat or window seat ask me if they could get up or get pissy because I was "holding them up". And if anyone in my row ever asked if they could get out, I would definitely allow them to do so.
I'm a smart traveler too--or at least I like to think I am. But I do carry a reasonably sized carry-on on most flights. And there are a couple of legit reasons for that. First, I've had luggage lost or delayed in the past--more than once. So my carry-on contains a change of clothes. It also contains my medications. Second, I am sometimes carrying valuable items that I prefer not to leave where I don't know where they are or who has access to them--like checked luggage (I travel for my hobby a couple of times a year, and sometimes I fly). Third, occasionally I make short trips, like my aunt's funeral in Atlanta last year. It doesn't make sense to check a bag for a night or two.

Reactions: Woodpecker
OK, I realize that it's just me that feels this way but, if I've been sitting for 2-8 hours, I prefer to stand when the bell rings so, if I have an aisle seat, I do so. I don't have any notions that it will get me off the plane appreciably sooner. However, if I don't have the aisle seat and the person who does hasn't gotten sufficient sitting time, I am willing to wait. I typically hope that he/she will grab the aisle so that I can stretch a few more inches but, if not, I won't muscle past them. Nutty, huh?

Reactions: SCBlueFan

I should emphasize, we were completely on the side of the ticket counter agent. the passenger was a complete tool, who thought arguing for another 20 minutes and inconveniencing all the other passengers was worth him trying to get an upgrade he was told was not available.

OK, I realize that it's just me that feels this way but, if I've been sitting for 2-8 hours, I prefer to stand when the bell rings so, if I have an aisle seat, I do so. I don't have any notions that it will get me off the plane appreciably sooner. However, if I don't have the aisle seat and the person who does hasn't gotten sufficient sitting time, I am willing to wait. I typically hope that he/she will grab the aisle so that I can stretch a few more inches but, if not, I won't muscle past them. Nutty, huh?
Sounds perfectly normal to me. And if you were really jonesing to stand up and asked politely for the person in the aisle to do so, and they complied, I'd think that's perfectly normal and polite as well. Odd behavior would be you climbing over without asking, or you asking and the aisle person not allowing you to get up.

Reactions: SCBlueFan
ADVERTISEMENT