ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It is time to put an end to some ugly people: row skippers

Sounds perfectly normal to me. And if you were really jonesing to stand up and asked politely for the person in the aisle to do so, and they complied, I'd think that's perfectly normal and polite as well. Odd behavior would be you climbing over without asking, or you asking and the aisle person not allowing you to get up.
Yeah, I'm more passive-aggressive than that. I figure that the aisle person's refusal to stand takes precedent over my desires and that I shouldn't ask them to go against their own preferences just accommodate me. A few more minutes of discomfort is the price I pay for not booking an aisle seat. There's no way that someone with the foresight to do so should be inconvenienced.

By the way, I have never ever had someone in the middle seat or window seat ask me if they could get up or get pissy because I was "holding them up". And if anyone in my row ever asked if they could get out, I would definitely allow them to do so.

Of course not, I’m sure it’s quite a shock to them you are acting that way. I’m sure they were just too polite to say something, but talked about you as soon as you were gone. I bet if you offered to let them by, they would take you up on it... but that would require manners on your part.

I’ve been traveling the last couple days, and every able bodied adult I see stands up when the bell rings. If you are so out of shape you need to sit for 5 more minutes, I suggest you don’t fly.

Yeah, I'm more passive-aggressive than that. I figure that the aisle person's refusal to stand takes precedent over my desires and that I shouldn't ask them to go against their own preferences just accommodate me. A few more minutes of discomfort is the price I pay for not booking an aisle seat. There's no way that someone with the foresight to do so should be inconvenienced.

I just dont understand why someone would book the aisle seat, put up with all its drawbacks the entire flight, then not take advantage of the benefit to stand ASAP. Very strange.

Of course not, I’m sure it’s quite a shock to them you are acting that way. I’m sure they were just too polite to say something, but talked about you as soon as you were gone. I bet if you offered to let them by, they would take you up on it... but that would require manners on your part.

I’ve been traveling the last couple days, and every able bodied adult I see stands up when the bell rings. If you are so out of shape you need to sit for 5 more minutes, I suggest you don’t fly.

Actually I bet not one of them has said anything about me. If I am not in an aisle seat I have never ever asked person in aisle seat to let me by so I could stand in aisle other than the few times I knew I was going to have to run to catch my next plane. Also, I have never ever had person on aisle seat ask me or others if we were middle or window seat if we would like by them to stand in the aisle. Normal behavior is if you need by or need to stand you ask, you don’t expect to be asked.

You are delusional if you say every person in aisle seats stands up, especially those towards the back that know it will be 10+ minutes to get off the plane. Out of shape...nah not even close.

Heck, you are just a delusional in general when it comes to your flying behaviors. I am done with your nonsense, as I am actually heading to airport in a bit.

Reactions: IIVI

Row skippers are passive.

Last edited:
Actually I bet not one of them has said anything about me. If I am not in an aisle seat I have never ever asked person in aisle seat to let me by so I could stand in aisle other than the few times I knew I was going to have to run to catch my next plane. Also, I have never ever had person on aisle seat ask me or others if we were middle or window seat if we would like by them to stand in the aisle. Normal behavior is if you need by or need to stand you ask, you don’t expect to be asked.

You are delusional if you say every person in aisle seats stands up, especially those towards the back that know it will be 10+ minutes to get off the plane. Out of shape...nah not even close.

Heck, you are just a delusional in general when it comes to your flying behaviors. I am done with your nonsense, as I am actually heading to airport in a bit.

Great, I can't wait to hear your made up stories of how your flight went!

Let's hope you have better manners in real life than you do online... for the sake of those stuck on a plane with you. Remember, it's not all about you!

I hope you have safe travels, even in the car on your way to the airport, where you are probably going to ride the left lane the entire time. “Well no one in that line of traffic I’m holding up asked to passed me.”

Last edited:
If people can't sit for 5 more minutes after a 2 hour flight maybe THEY shouldn't fly.

I am going to be on 4 flights next week and I have an aisle seat for all four flights. I will stand up when about 2 - 3 rows in front of me are moving. And me doing this does not hold up anyone behind me. Of course that is because I am a smart traveler and my carry-on/personal item is always something I can fit under the seat in front of me and I have that in my lap ready to go, so when I hit the aisle I am already moving forward.

By the way, I have never ever had someone in the middle seat or window seat ask me if they could get up or get pissy because I was "holding them up". And if anyone in my row ever asked if they could get out, I would definitely allow them to do so.

Exactly........

This is the stupidest argument I’ve ever seen. If you are physically able to stand and don’t want to, don’t sit on the aisle. If people can’t atand for 5 minutes after a 2 hour flight, maybe they shouldn’t fly. Otherwise you impact those in your row, and hold up everyone behind you. Stop being lazy and selfish, there are other people in this world.

OK, whatever you say. Stand all you want and go nowhere.

I'm as baffled as you are. Rushing to stand up to go absolutely nowhere and get your bag out of the overhead so you can bump everyone else that is rushing to go nowhere in the head with it is the odd behavior, not waiting patiently for your turn to deplane like a normal person. If the OP hasn't ever seen someone in an aisle seat not immediately get up when the "all rise" bell chimes upon reaching the gate, he isn't looking very hard. I see it on every single flight I take.

Again- its the stupidest argument I've ever seen. How many times have I seen some moron have to jump up and get his bag. But wait, his bag isn't right over his head. So he reaches over people to get it, and drops it on their head because said moron is too weak to lift it. Then he stands there with his bag, no room to put the bag down, not going anywhere.

So ya- the people who wait there turn are the selfish idiots.

the future missus and I just did an 18 hour jaunt to San Jose for a friend's birthday party.

It was awesome.

But damn if my blood didn't boil getting off the plane in San Jose.

We were in row 20. Someone in row 21 tried to jump past us as we were de-boarding the plane.

We were not slow, we were not obnoxious, we were just waiting for the people in row 19 to leave LIKE THE GODDAM HUMAN BEINGS WE ARE!!

I pulled a full Round Mound of Rebound on that chick and boxed her out, almost into row 22. I wrecked her worse than Eric Straton!

Row skippers be warned, your time has come in this great nation. We see you. You know you're wrong. Decisions have consequences. You've been warned.

Never really thought about this phenomenon until we were flying home from vacation last week and this exact thing happened to me. We were in row 31 and I was on the aisle. As soon as the plane parked and the captain turned off the seat belt sign, 2 guys came from a couple of rows back and made it as far as our row, as people in the row in front had already spilled out into the aisle. So there they stood, the one guy's butt about 12 inches from my face. For at least 10 minutes. So sign me up for the "end row skippers" club.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
OK, whatever you say. Stand all you want and go nowhere.

So by all means, sit there and let someone be in agony because their back is killing them, because YOU can't stand for a few minutes after sitting for hours without being out of breath. Hold everyone up because you wait until the last minute to grab your overpacked carry on (at least you saved $25!), and waddle off the plane. But hey... it's all about you. How dare you show any common courtesy to anyone else and offer to let them out, or book a seat more appropriate for your strange ways.... If you don't like getting bumped all flight, and you don't want to stand when the bell rings, and you don't want to offer to let people by... then let the aisle isn't for you. The window seat is calling your name.

Can I hijack things and add bin poachers to the list?

I’m sitting in row 14 right now and during boarding I hear two mutton heads stop next to me and sling their bags into the bin at 15 - she says, “aren’t we in 21?”

To top it off his bag is tagged to go under and the bin won’t close with it in there. Told the FA where to find the offender. He claimed he changed his mind and didn’t want to put it under anymore but the FA told him too bad - won’t fit, already tagged, under it goes.

Come on - how hard is it to take your bag to your seat?!?! The poor people who came on later were left with nearly no space because of those jag offs.

So by all means, sit there and let someone be in agony because their back is killing them, because YOU can't stand for a few minutes after sitting for hours without being out of breath. Hold everyone up because you wait until the last minute to grab your overpacked carry on (at least you saved $25!), and waddle off the plane. But hey... it's all about you. How dare you show any common courtesy to anyone else and offer to let them out, or book a seat more appropriate for your strange ways.... If you don't like getting bumped all flight, and you don't want to stand when the bell rings, and you don't want to offer to let people by... then let the aisle isn't for you. The window seat is calling your name.
This perfectly normal behavior really seems to bother you for some reason. I have no idea why you feel it's one person's obligation to ask all those around them if they have any special needs instead of expecting those that have a request to simply ask politely.

Where in the world would you draw the line for that sort of expectation? There are endless hypothetical scenarios where you could go around asking people if they need something. Maybe the next time I use the bathroom in my office I'll send a mass email to the whole company first offering them a chance to use it before me, just in case. After all, it would be rude and selfish to inconvenience them and make them wait for me to finish first. Perhaps I should offer every stranger I see on the street some money just in case they need it, instead of waiting for someone in need such as a homeless person to approach me and ask for help.

Just because all of the sheeple on the plane rush to their feet the second the seat belt sign turns off (aka the all rise chime as I've heard flight attendants call it, a way of poking fun at these people) doesn't make it normal, or the polite way to depart a plane. In fact I'd consider it the rude way to depart because most of those people that congregate in the aisle tend to push, shove, bump into and invade the personal space of everyone around them just so they can save 30 seconds in getting off the plane or to their bag in the overhead. I'd rather just avoid being pushed and crowded, so I'll wait patiently in my seat to depart thank you very much.

So many of your generalizations are incorrect. I've been a frequent business flyer, and your generalizations are way off base for every frequent flyer I know. Smart travellers pack light and carry on their luggage whenever possible. Then there's no risk of lost baggage and it forces you to pack light and leave the useless crap that most people travel with at home. I have no issues with my personal health that is preventing me from standing. I'd think an able-bodied person would rather stand than sit if given the choice, the wiser option seems to be to relax and take a load off. I am perfectly capable of sitting in the aisle and not getting bumped by carts and people all flight because I'm not some obese person spilling into the aisle, and like any good traveler I keep my arms and legs out of the aisle and out of other people's way.

I look forward to continuing to book aisle seats and patiently sitting until it's my turn to depart on every future flight that I take.

Reactions: IIVI
Can I hijack things and add bin poachers to the list?

I’m sitting in row 14 right now and during boarding I hear two mutton heads stop next to me and sling their bags into the bin at 15 - she says, “aren’t we in 21?”

To top it off his bag is tagged to go under and the bin won’t close with it in there. Told the FA where to find the offender. He claimed he changed his mind and didn’t want to put it under anymore but the FA told him too bad - won’t fit, already tagged, under it goes.

Come on - how hard is it to take your bag to your seat?!?! The poor people who came on later were left with nearly no space because of those jag offs.
Or the people that turn their roller bags sideways, taking up way more space than needed. Part of me wishes there was an airline only for frequent travellers.

Just because all of the sheeple on the plane rush to their feet the second the seat belt sign turns off (aka the all rise chime as I've heard flight attendants call it, a way of poking fun at these people) doesn't make it normal, or the polite way to depart a plane. In fact I'd consider it the rude way to depart because most of those people that congregate in the aisle tend to push, shove, bump into and invade the personal space of everyone around them just so they can save 30 seconds in getting off the plane or to their bag in the overhead. I'd rather just avoid being pushed and crowded, so I'll wait patiently in my seat to depart thank you very much.
Just so I'm clear, I'm rude because, when I'm sitting on the aisle, after sitting for hours, I choose to stand for a couple of minutes? I'm not pushing my way forward, I'm not rushing to get out, and I don't do it because I'm trying to save time. I do it because I've been sitting for hours. It also allows those sitting next to me to stretch out and does facilitate deplaning when it is my turn to do so. To whom am I being rude?

Just so I'm clear, I'm rude because, when I'm sitting on the aisle, after sitting for hours, I choose to stand for a couple of minutes? I'm not pushing my way forward, I'm not rushing to get out, and I don't do it because I'm trying to save time. I do it because I've been sitting for hours. It also allows those sitting next to me to stretch out and does facilitate deplaning when it is my turn to do so. To whom am I being rude?
You're rude if you're pushing up against others or bumping into other passengers, seated or standing, in an attempt to retrieve or luggage or actually hit people with your luggage. By your own definition you're being rude if you use up the physical space in the aisle with your carry on bag while you stand and wait. That's a space where some other passenger might want to stand and you are using it to simply rest your bag that you could have waited 5 minutes to get out of the overhead. You are rude if you intentionally rush out quickly to encourage your middle and window seatmates to also rush out before the other aisle seat passengers can get up, essentially blocking them from doing so. There's not enough room for entire rows to get up and stand in the aisle and those in middle or window seats should have no expectation of having room to do so on a regular basis. In my experience, these things happen all the time with the passengers that insist on getting up one microsecond after the chime sounds. If you are respectful to those around you I don't give a crap if you stand there politely and wait, to each their own.

The "I must stretch my legs" argument is a little silly to me, you can get up and stretch your legs at any time during the flight assuming the seat belt sign is off. It's not like the only opportunity you have to stretch is the 5 minutes between the time the plane reaches the gate and when it's actually your row's turn to deplane. Getting up to stretch then when the aisle is at its most crowded is probably the worst time to do so, relatively speaking.

Last edited:
This perfectly normal behavior really seems to bother you for some reason. I have no idea why you feel it's one person's obligation to ask all those around them if they have any special needs instead of expecting those that have a request to simply ask politely.

Where in the world would you draw the line for that sort of expectation? There are endless hypothetical scenarios where you could go around asking people if they need something. Maybe the next time I use the bathroom in my office I'll send a mass email to the whole company first offering them a chance to use it before me, just in case. After all, it would be rude and selfish to inconvenience them and make them wait for me to finish first. Perhaps I should offer every stranger I see on the street some money just in case they need it, instead of waiting for someone in need such as a homeless person to approach me and ask for help.

So many of your generalizations are incorrect. I've been a frequent business flyer, and your generalizations are way off base for every frequent flyer I know. Smart travellers pack light and carry on their luggage whenever possible. Then there's no risk of lost baggage and it forces you to pack light and leave the useless crap that most people travel with at home. I have no issues with my personal health that is preventing me from standing. I'd think an able-bodied person would rather stand than sit if given the choice, the wiser option seems to be to relax and take a load off. I am perfectly capable of sitting in the aisle and not getting bumped by carts and people all flight because I'm not some obese person spilling into the aisle, and like any good traveler I keep my arms and legs out of the aisle and out of other people's way.

I look forward to continuing to book aisle seats and patiently sitting until it's my turn to depart on every future flight that I take.

All those words to justify your laziness and lack of manners. Maybe after about 10 minutes of sitting I’ll get around to reading it... probably not though. You’ve proven to not be very insightful on this topic. It’s ok, I remember my first flight too.

All those words to justify your laziness and lack of manners. Maybe after about 10 minutes of sitting I’ll get around to reading it... probably not though. You’ve proven to not be very insightful on this topic. It’s ok, I remember my first flight too.
Yet another incorrect assumption. I've been an executive platinum flyer. Try again.

PSUSignore said:
Yet another incorrect assumption. I've been an executive platinum flyer. Try again.

Another baseless claim... not surprised. Sure... we all believe you. I bet you have your own jet too? Notice how you avoided responding to the the main point of my post and simply attempted to change the subject? After you've derailed this thread for pages, I guess I would expect no less. You need to come to terms with the fact that the aisle seat is not for you.

Another assumption?!?! I guess that joke went over your head. To be another assumption, there have to have been previous assumptions, please list them. (Note, you've proven throughout your off-topic rants that you are lazy and impolite, and thus they are not assumptions.)

Sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling a bunch for work. I had the aisle on most flights, and I did a little experiment. I told the person next to me that I didn't plan on moving when the plane stopped and asked if they'd like me to let them by.... every single person thanked me and took me up on the offer. Granted on your flights, nobody stands up at the end, the aisle is empty and everyone just waits for a unicorn to take them to the baggage claim.

ADVERTISEMENT