ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is anybody here (work with) a home repair contractor?

WaylonJ

Mar 25, 2021
I had two recent events with these guys....now I know they're overworked and nobody wants to do anything anymore but hear me out.

I had a minor water problem that jacked up some tile in my kitchen and bathroom. I called the guy who originally overhauled my bathroom back in '09. I thought he did a good job. He came out back in October in a day or two and I showed him everything I needed done. I had some tile he left and we shot the shiz for awhile and he left and said he'd send me something. He has my email and phone #. That was October. He said probably after the new year. I thought, ok this isn't an emergency. Here I am in June, nothing. But hey, it IS the new year.

Last week I called this young kid who got decent reviews on line to replace a few windows in a garage. Not a big job. He came right out too and took pix and everything to prepare an estimate. Seemed like a nice conscientious young up and comer. This was last Friday. He said he was doing estimates all weekend and would have something back to me by Sunday (last Sunday). It's five minutes from Thursday and I have nothing.

My question is this. Does nobody want to even address a small job anymore, and if so OK, how about not ghosting me and at least saying hey I'm backed up till forever, give me two years and I'll think about it? I mean these guys spent hours measuring shiz and talking crap that time could have been better spent on a job. Why do they even answer a call like mine? And here's the other thing...the first guy I already have a business relationship with from a sizeable job and I gave him other business. He just flat ass ghosted me. It's like 7 months. The 2nd guy I can somewhat understand because I don't know him. The hell is going on?

I would prefer that they would say "not interested".
Same with job interviews, just say we are looking at someone else.

Reactions: WaylonJ
I had two recent events with these guys....now I know they're overworked and nobody wants to do anything anymore but hear me out.

I had a minor water problem that jacked up some tile in my kitchen and bathroom. I called the guy who originally overhauled my bathroom back in '09. I thought he did a good job. He came out back in October in a day or two and I showed him everything I needed done. I had some tile he left and we shot the shiz for awhile and he left and said he'd send me something. He has my email and phone #. That was October. He said probably after the new year. I thought, ok this isn't an emergency. Here I am in June, nothing. But hey, it IS the new year.

Last week I called this young kid who got decent reviews on line to replace a few windows in a garage. Not a big job. He came right out too and took pix and everything to prepare an estimate. Seemed like a nice conscientious young up and comer. This was last Friday. He said he was doing estimates all weekend and would have something back to me by Sunday (last Sunday). It's five minutes from Thursday and I have nothing.

My question is this. Does nobody want to even address a small job anymore, and if so OK, how about not ghosting me and at least saying hey I'm backed up till forever, give me two years and I'll think about it? I mean these guys spent hours measuring shiz and talking crap that time could have been better spent on a job. Why do they even answer a call like mine? And here's the other thing...the first guy I already have a business relationship with from a sizeable job and I gave him other business. He just flat ass ghosted me. It's like 7 months. The 2nd guy I can somewhat understand because I don't know him. The hell is going on?

What you described is normal. Not acceptable, but normal. I encountered many similar situations so I changed tactics. I relied on referrals from other contractors. Contractors know who to avoid and who is reliable. Find just one contractor you trust and ask for recommendations.

Reactions: WaylonJ

All the guys I know are very busy. So busy that if they get a hint you are quoting other contractors they won't submit a quote as they don't need to compete for jobs right now. It's been this way for about 2 -3 years. They tell me that all their business is coming from people who tell them they have the job before seeing a quote. Sounds crazy, but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT