ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In case you were wondering about Rob Bolden...

Rob+Bolden+Eastern+Michigan+v+Florida+NLcWL-T10HTl.jpg

Here he is at EMU getting crushed!

Well, I wish Rob Bolden the best with the Lions, but I don't think he has much of a chance making the team. Stranger things have happened though, and I truly do hope he makes it. He was thrown into a tough situation at Penn State, but he seemed to crack under the pressure. Maybe he has his act together now.

I don't think he has a chance in the NFL.

He has absolutely zero pocket awareness, almost no touch on this throws, and cannot throw a screen pass/dump off. Plus, he's not athletic enough to play another position.

Well, I wish Rob Bolden the best with the Lions, but I don't think he has much of a chance making the team. Stranger things have happened though, and I truly do hope he makes it. He was thrown into a tough situation at Penn State, but he seemed to crack under the pressure. Maybe he has his act together now.

He was horrible at EMU also. 4 picks and 5 tds. Lost by like 65 to Michigan state. Beat 2 teams, Umass and buffalo and lost all the rest. Had like 400 yards passing...on the season.

Bolden's a good athlete, just not a QB. Maybe the Lions will try him at some other position.

Good athlete based off of what?

He runs like he has lead in his shoes, has zero agility, and no awareness of when to get down. He also can't run people over, and isn't fast enough to break angles.

Did not get into a single game while at LSU.

I thought they may have even moved him to WR and then he transferred after that to Eastern Michigan.
I have no idea how he did once he got there.

Just looked up some stats and have no idea why Detroit would sign him as a FA.
He (Bolden) said they like what they saw of him on drills to the WR's and TE's.
Frankly I think thats what the coaches at PSU saw. It was actual game time that didn't go so well.
Here are his stats from his wiki page...

The 6-foot-4, 218-pounder gave an EMU football team with a new coaching staff added depth at the quarterback position.

In six appearances, with three starts, Bolden threw for 399 yards (41 of 95) with four touchdowns and five interceptions, and ran the ball 57 times for 177 yards.

The "amazing" thing to me is that as a Freshman his spring practice was so impressive the talking heads, especially on the Big 10 network, could not say enough about him. Saying PSU has a great one in house.
We really miffed or a bunch of 4 star QBs in a short time frame. Bolden, Newsome, Jones. What are the odds that all of them were not QBs, not in the least.

The "amazing" thing to me is that as a Freshman his spring practice was so impressive the talking heads, especially on the Big 10 network, could not say enough about him. Saying PSU has a great one in house.
We really miffed or a bunch of 4 star QBs in a short time frame. Bolden, Newsome, Jones. What are the odds that all of them were not QBs, not in the least.

Didn't Kevin Newsome also end up as a WR or TE?
What ever happened to Paul Jones? Did he go to a divII or III school in PA?
Yea the guys doing the evaluations on them (and not just our coaches) really missed the mark.

It was quite an interesting run of "luck" at the position.

In Newsome, you had a guy who wasn't as interested in football as other life pursuits. He had an odd throwing motion and wasn't very accurate, but was a decent athlete.

Then, you had Jones, who despite a rocket arm and good touch, wasn't committed in the classroom or the film room/white board. So, OB moved him to H-back and then he transferred to Robert Morris.

With Bolden, he started out very strong, then got hurt. IMO, his dad was a big part of the kid's decline (or lack of development). RoBo thought he was better than he was.

It was quite an interesting run of "luck" at the position.

In Newsome, you had a guy who wasn't as interested in football as other life pursuits. He had an odd throwing motion and wasn't very accurate, but was a decent athlete.

Then, you had Jones, who despite a rocket arm and good touch, wasn't committed in the classroom or the film room/white board. So, OB moved him to H-back and then he transferred to Robert Morris.

With Bolden, he started out very strong, then got hurt. IMO, his dad was a big part of the kid's decline (or lack of development). RoBo thought he was better than he was.

Thanks for the info.
Def. agree about Bolden's father.

wasn't just the talking heads. Every one on this board was all jacked up about Bolden and when he looked really good his first few games were even more jacked up about him, people coming up with the RoBo nickname and all. People turned on him pretty quickly and maybe not fairly. And he was right to be POed about not playing the bowl game where Moxie McPicSix put up such great numbers.

Well, Rob's own performance in the Ticket City bowl was every bit as bad as McGloin's against Florida.

Remember - Florida. Not Florida Gulf Coast. And as bad as McGloin was we STILL had a chance of a miracle finish at the end.

So Rob can be as PO'd as he wants to be. The guy obeyed every rule and never got in trouble. It's not a sin to be a terrible football player, but he was the poster child for terrible.

Michigan, Michy State and us all offered the guy. We just lost the recruiting battle - we signed him.

Reactions: royboy
wasn't just the talking heads. Every one on this board was all jacked up about Bolden and when he looked really good his first few games were even more jacked up about him, people coming up with the RoBo nickname and all. People turned on him pretty quickly and maybe not fairly. And he was right to be POed about not playing the bowl game where Moxie McPicSix put up such great numbers.
Moxie McPick Six has started in the NFL. A feat Rob Bolden has no chance at doing. All you had to do was watch Bolden play and he was a deer in the headlights. He had no pocket presence or sense.

No question McGloin turned out to be a MUCH better QB. But who would have bet on that when they both started out?

Can someone please tell me why Rob Bolden is considered a "fine" or "good" athlete?
Yeah, Bolden showed a few positives when he was QB here, but athleticism was never one of them. He always seemed much more comfortable in the pocket. "Great athlete" is certainly not the description that comes to mind.

He has one damned good agent...how stupid...this kid doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT