ADVERTISEMENT

Should MLB make Pete Rose eligible for the Hall of Fame?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
Pete has sent a letter to the MLB Commissioner asking to be made eligible.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/pete-rose-begs-hall-of-fame-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred/

My thoughts? Many large institutions are seen today as being pretty sleazy and MLB is no exception. Between that and the fact that MLB is actually in partnership with legal gambling outfits now makes excluding Pete look silly. When powerful entities that are perceived as immoral moralize over others then it makes them seem even more immoral. I agreed with banning Pete in 1989 but it should be lifted now.

But that's just my opinion. What's yours?

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/pete-rose-begs-hall-of-fame-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred/

My thoughts? Many large institutions are seen today as being pretty sleazy and MLB is no exception. Between that and the fact that MLB is actually in partnership with legal gambling outfits now makes excluding Pete look silly. When powerful entities that are perceived as immoral moralize over others then it makes them seem even more immoral. I agreed with banning Pete in 1989 but it should be lifted now.

He deserves to be in but didn't help himself with his behavior after baseball particularly his on air comments this year during a Philly game.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Rose is a nasty little man and earned his place.
Couldn’t agree more. Rose broke the cardinal rule—don’t bet on baseball and then arrogantly denied it for years. I don’t care for all the professional leagues, including MLB, associating with betting but that’s wholly irrelevant to Rose. Besides, MLB players still can’t bet on baseball that day.

If the Astros can still be World Series champs after cheating and other players set records and win MVPs using nefarious measures than yeah he should be in. I’ve never seen anything that proves he bet against his team

I didn't see his comments during the Series, but I think he's gotten less and less relevant as time has gone by. With the steroid (Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and Sammy Sosa, and to a lesser degrees R. Palmeiro and A-Rod) and world champion Astros' sign-stealing scandals, the fans are used to ignoring players and teams that cross the line and adding that proverbial asterisk to any stat. I'm not sure how many younger fans even know who he is. I don't think Rose's personality and behavior helped. He got away with a lot as a player, but it's all seemed to have come back at him several fold. I still remember a comment he made in a Playboy interview commenting on the value of black players as brand representatives-something to the effect of 'would you want to buy a pizza after seeing Dave Parker (Pirates player for those that don't know it) take a bite (in a commercial)?'...I couldn't believe he said it at the time, and was more surprised by the lack of negative reaction it received...correct me if my memory is wrong. It just seemed to be the combination of arrogance and recklessness that Rose has seemed to exhibit beyond his playing days.

Yes. In today’s world it’s pretty minor. Who cares. Move on. HOF is not a premier citizens club. It’s all about what you did on the field. His behavior didn’t impact games. Same with shoeless joe and innocent bystander. Baseball needs to get over itself as it becomes more and irrelevant except during the playoffs. Same with golf. Nobody cares about matches except the majors. And Augusta should have been shutdown by the woke mob. Wonder why they weren’t? We know the answer to that.

If the Astros can still be World Series champs after cheating and other players set records and win MVPs using nefarious measures than yeah he should be in. I’ve never seen anything that proves he bet against his team
Are you serious. I mean really? There are signs in every MLB clubhouse reminding everyone about not betting on baseball. A MLB rep goes to every team in spring training to again remind people about the prohibition against betting. Betting on baseball goes to the fundamental integrity of the game. Who Rose bet on is irrelevant.

Until they can prove that everyone else in the HOF never bet on baseball, never used steroids, etc. then getting in should be based on how you played the game, so yes, Rose should be in along with Bonds and McGwire and others.
No offense but am abjectly ignorant post. This is like telling the cop who pulled you over for speeding that he should have arrested the other driver because he was going even faster. Next time that happens let me know how that works out for you.

Let him in, performance wise he was worthy,

Reactions: bison13
Are you serious. I mean really? There are signs in every MLB clubhouse reminding everyone about not betting on baseball. A MLB rep goes to every team in spring training to again remind people about the prohibition against betting. Betting on baseball goes to the fundamental integrity of the game. Who Rose bet on is irrelevant.
Well let me give you some information about myself. I played baseball, I was in camp with three different professional organizations before being released from all of them so yes I know all about gambling, people that come in and talk to you about never gambling on the game etc. I also know that there are currently people in the Hall of Fame that also bet on almost every single game they played in. There are also guys that are in the Hall of Fame or in a conversation of getting there that were bigger assholes and Pete Rose was.
I don’t know of any guys doing anything like Ray Lewis as in Having someone killed but it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me with some of those guys

Reactions: manilion
Let's just stop following any and all rules shall we? Society will be better with no rules. Everything will be better with no rules.

Well let me give you some information about myself. I played baseball, I was in camp with three different professional organizations before being released from all of them so yes I know all about gambling, people that come in and talk to you about never gambling on the game etc. I also know that there are currently people in the Hall of Fame that also bet on almost every single game they played in. There are also guys that are in the Hall of Fame or in a conversation of getting there that were bigger assholes and Pete Rose was.
I don’t know of any guys doing anything like Ray Lewis as in Having someone killed but it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me with some of those guys
As a baseball guy, do yourself a favor and check out some YouTube videos of Mike Trout in high school. Hilarious clips - “no batter, no batter” - WHACK!!!! The modern day Mantle hammers one into a South Jersey cornfield.

Reactions: bison13
So what? See my other post. Love to see your proof that certain guys in the Hall “bet on almost every single game they played”. I never said Rose didn’t belong in the Hall because he was an asshole but because he bet on baseball and (1) got caught and (2) denied doing so for decades instead of admitting that he did so and asking MLB to forgive him for his mistake.

Until they can prove that everyone else in the HOF never bet on baseball, never used steroids, etc. then getting in should be based on how you played the game, so yes, Rose should be in along with Bonds and McGwire and others.
Don't forget that a ton of players took amphetamines before games in the 60s, 70s and 80s. This was not hidden in any way. Players had bottles of them in full view in their lockers.

I've met Pete in Vegas. Pretty arrogant still. Even if he was a great guy I wouldn't put him the HOF until after he dies.

Reactions: Yanks49
No offense but am abjectly ignorant post. This is like telling the cop who pulled you over for speeding that he should have arrested the other driver because he was going even faster. Next time that happens let me know how that works out for you.
Not like that at all…if you’re keeping players out for specific behaviors and there are others in there who did those specific behaviors, all credibility is lost.

As a baseball guy, do yourself a favor and check out some YouTube videos of Mike Trout in high school. Hilarious clips - “no batter, no batter” - WHACK!!!! The modern day Mantle hammers one into a South Jersey cornfield.
Wish he would play on a good team so he can get back to the playoffs. Best player in the game

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
If he had come fully clean, I might have an easier time supporting it. But it was half truth after half truth with some outright lies mixed in when he came “clean”, as I understand it. If I’m wrong, please correct me.

Reactions: Yanks49
When he was in the Phillies' booth on old timers day or whatever it was he acted like he was giving the double-bird to MLB and everybody associated with the HOF by acting the fool, cursing on air and whatnot. Then there's the whole thing with this 16 year old girl he was supposedly involved with back in the 70's. I think he burned about every lifeline he had as far as being enshrined and they will never do it as the backlash will be other-worldly. They don't need that kind of pub and Pete Rose is not going to be the hill that baseball is willing to die on. Pete was one of the greats on the field but his own worst enemy is Pete. Nobody to blame but himself and he knows no other way to act than to be his lunch-bucket self.

People who have never been to the HOF need to understand there is plenty of Pete Rose stuff in the museum. He's just never going to have a plaque in the Hall. It's the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. The museum has all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with the players on the wall...just a little aside there as I didn't know until I visited.

Objectively, yes. Particularly when I can go to my local mlb park and walk through an adjacent sports book from the garage to get to the gate.

But he won’t. And the reason he won’t is that Vincent and all his successors took Bart giamatti’s death very personally, which is a gentler way of saying they blame rose. And that lore will be handed down.

Why not?

MLB was fully aware of the steroid issue well before it became public. They didn't care because the HR explosion helped to put fans back in the seats.
Point, the game never had any integrity but for some reason they are the only sport to talk about things like the good of the game .

Not like that at all…if you’re keeping players out for specific behaviors and there are others in there who did those specific behaviors, all credibility is lost.
They have zero credibility , as I said everyone was aware of steroids until it became public , then it was this:

Reactions: AWS1022

In 20 years, I don’t think MLB will exist. You might as well recognize Pete and let the naysayers work themselves into a tizzy. The reality is that a large number of the hall of famers cheated.

Read/watch 8 Men Out to understand why baseball treats gambling like the plague. He played with fire and got roasted.

Last edited:

Yes and Bonds should be in immediately

Back when the Black Sox scandal happened, the amount of money a player could make by throwing a game was significant compared to the amount of money they could make from simply playing to win. Of course, one reason for that was because the owners were stingy in what they paid the players. Owners were incentivized to come down hard on players that threw games because if the fairness of the game outcome came into question, people would stop following baseball and the owners would lose money.

Now, players make so much money that they no longer have an incentive to throw games to make money from people that run gambling rings. Instead, players and owners are now IN LEAGUE with people that run gambling rings.

Absolutely.

A 59 year old book? Ok, baseball isn't the clean sport their fans think it is. They ignored steroid usage until it became inconvenient to look the other way .
The MLPA had a lot to do with that. Donald Fehr saw to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT