ADVERTISEMENT

Philly & CLE airports get hammered while Pitt gets a top rating

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
in the worst three large aiports, Philly ranks as third worst along with Honolulu and KC. Best were Dallas Love, Tampa and John Wayne (Orange Cty). KC is building a new one which will be open ~ a year.

Mega airports. worst three: LA, Newark, O'Hare. Best three: Minny, SFO, Detroit

Medium worst three: Burbank, Maui and CLE. Best: Indy, Pitt and JAX

in the worst three large aiports, Philly ranks as third worst along with Honolulu and KC. Best were Dallas Love, Tampa and John Wayne (Orange Cty). KC is building a new one which will be open ~ a year.

Detroit is excellent surprisingly!

I've been to Tampa, Nashville and BWI in the large category and I think all are fine but preferred Nashville over Tampa.

In the Mega category I dont care for Hartsfield in Atl but didnt think LAX was that bad

I've been to Tampa, Nashville and BWI in the large category and I think all are fine but preferred Nashville over Tampa.

In the Mega category I dont care for Hartsfield in Atl but didnt think LAX was that bad
A lot depends on the airline. If you are on a concourse that has been remodeled you are OK. I haven't flown into LaGuardia for a year or so but the last time I did it was like flying into Afghanistan. Newark is fine as long as you are flying United. I was in KC last week and actually like it. It wasn't built for security as it is just like a crescent where you get dropped off and walk across the hall to the gate. No room for security except at the gates. Plus, not shopping or places to eat.

I guess my top three would be John Wayne (orange county), Detroit (new) and Tampa. My least favorite re O'Hare, Orlando and New Orleans.

Reactions: bison13
PHL airport has done a ton of remodeling but that is in the American Airways terminals. the other terminals are pretty bad like D and E. And not enough seats with small aisleway.

but PHL has improved light years in on time arrivals and departures.

Philly is the worst. I’ve had three connecting flights there…first time, they lost my luggage. Second time it was raining when we got into Philly, when I reached my destination and opened my suitcase, my clothes were soaked and muddy. Third time they cancelled my flight, so I had to fly into another city and rent a car. I will never fly into Philly again.

Interesting that Pitt is so high. They built a brand new terminal over twenty years ago with well over half the gates dedicated to USAir......which went bankrupt after 9/11. It has two sections....a land side and an airside with a tram car system between them. But since a large number of gates have been closed for well over a decade they are redesigning one part and demolishing the other. At a cost a of several billion dollars.

This will eliminate a large number of gates, the tram car system and a massive, complex baggage handling system to move baggage between the two units.

A lot depends on the airline. If you are on a concourse that has been remodeled you are OK. I haven't flown into LaGuardia for a year or so but the last time I did it was like flying into Afghanistan. Newark is fine as long as you are flying United. I was in KC last week and actually like it. It wasn't built for security as it is just like a crescent where you get dropped off and walk across the hall to the gate. No room for security except at the gates. Plus, not shopping or places to eat.

I guess my top three would be John Wayne (orange county), Detroit (new) and Tampa. My least favorite re O'Hare, Orlando and New Orleans.
The new New Orleans Airport is nice. I go through and into O'Hare all the time - hate it every time - thunderstorms in the summer, snow in the winter.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT