ADVERTISEMENT

OT - IDGAF about Game of Thrones

Plan Ahaed

Apr 7, 2016
With the constant promotion and advertisements in all forms of media (print/online/radio/tv/billboards etc.) for the upcoming season I feel like a schmuck for not caring at all about Game of Thrones. I don't pay for premium tv channels as such I'm out of the loop on that show plus the others on HBO/Showtime etc. On top of all the usual advertisements I was at the Philly Union soccer game last night and it was Game of Thrones night w/special promotional items to purchase and GoT themed performances. Roku has seen fit to switch my background to a GoT promo screen and every advert within the system is for the show as well. Then I see a twitter post from the PSU football page with a GoT styled pic of Saquon. The hype machine is working overtime and for the first time I've felt that I'm the only person who doesn't watch the show and that I'm expected to feel bad about that.

Kind of howling at the moon here and kinda wondering if others are tired of it being shoved down our throats.

With the constant promotion and advertisements in all forms of media (print/online/radio/tv/billboards etc.) for the upcoming season I feel like a schmuck for not caring at all about Game of Thrones. I don't pay for premium tv channels as such I'm out of the loop on that show plus the others on HBO/Showtime etc. On top of all the usual advertisements I was at the Philly Union soccer game last night and it was Game of Thrones night w/special promotional items to purchase and GoT themed performances. Roku has seen fit to switch my background to a GoT promo screen and every advert within the system is for the show as well. Then I see a twitter post from the PSU football page with a GoT styled pic of Saquon. The hype machine is working overtime and for the first time I've felt that I'm the only person who doesn't watch the show and that I'm expected to feel bad about that.

Kind of howling at the moon here and kinda wondering if others are tired of it being shoved down our throats.

I've never watched an episode... seen parts of episodes in passing. Probably a good show, but I don't watch any of the various R rated shows.

LdN

I have no interest in it for now. I usually watch that type of hyped product a couple of years after its done. May not watch this one at all. I did see some of it - parts of two episodes - and it wasn't to my taste. I appreciate that others are crazy about it though. It's about as epic as a series can be.

Last edited:
It's an excellent show. The production quality alone is really, really exceptional.
I suggest you try binge watching the first season.

I suppose it's not for everyone, but it is quite an epic.

Lives up to and surpasses the hype. You don't like it or don't have interest? No biggie - room for everyone....

Reactions: psualt
I've never watched an episode... seen parts of episodes in passing. Probably a good show, but I don't watch any of the various R rated shows.

LdN

Dang, I guess you don't miss what you never knew, but your "R" rated stance has cost you the best storytelling of the last 20 years. For what? Language that's been arbitrarily determined offensive, or the nude human form? I don't mean to be condescending I just don't get it.

6GJWk.gif

I've never seen any part of any episode. Have friends who love it though

Personally , I can't wait for season 5 of Ray Donovan starting in August.

That's my favorite show right now

Dang, I guess you don't miss what you never knew, but your "R" rated stance has cost you the best storytelling of the last 20 years. For what? Language that's been arbitrarily determined offensive, or the nude human form? I don't mean to be condescending I just don't get it.

It's OK if you don't get it. I don't mind.

I don't watch TV, except an occasional episode of the Simpsons and an occasional series (maybe 1 a year at most). I stay within a small box for those, PG (since I have a young daughter) and sitcom.

I play about 1 game start to finish a year.

Otherwise I read books.

Sorry I don't watch your shows. Didn't realize it would hurt your feelings so much.

LdN

As long as you lay in your fainting chair with a fan and smelling salts, you could probably get thru an episode...

Maybe, but I have no issue with Rated R or Rated XXX for that matter.

It's just not what I want to consume in a Television Episode show.

LdN

It's OK if you don't get it. I don't mind.

I don't watch TV, except an occasional episode of the Simpsons and an occasional series (maybe 1 a year at most). I stay within a small box for those, PG (since I have a young daughter) and sitcom.

I play about 1 game start to finish a year.

Otherwise I read books.

Sorry I don't watch your shows. Didn't realize it would hurt your feelings so much.

LdN

Feelings not hurt, just don't just understand the stance. Was hoping you could enlighten on why someone would want to rob themselves of such great art.

Feelings not hurt, just don't just understand the stance. Was hoping you could enlighten on why someone would want to rob themselves of such great art.

It's your opinion that it is great art. This thread is titled IDGAF about GOT.

I've seen parts of some episodes in passing, and for me the show looks particularly stupid. Not as stupid as Xena, but probably as stupid as Kevin Sorbo's Hercules.

My stance on rated R shows is more about the volume of TV I consume that I stick to Sitcoms and feature length films.

There's plenty of art out there. Books, paintings, outside your home and off your couch.

LdN

It's your opinion that it is great art. This thread is titled IDGAF about GOT.

I've seen parts of some episodes in passing, and for me the show looks particularly stupid. Not as stupid as Xena, but probably as stupid as Kevin Sorbo's Hercules.

My stance on rated R shows is more about the volume of TV I consume that I stick to Sitcoms and feature length films.

There's plenty of art out there. Books, paintings, outside your home and off your couch.

LdN

It's fine to not care to watch it, but comparing it to Xena or Hercules is just ignorance. I've clearly upset you. I'll let you get back to your books that apparently take you outside your home and off your couch...

Good to know I'm not alone - and I know I can just not watch the show no biggie. It's just that the endless promotion and the circlejerk surrounding the show is nauseating to me. Guess I also never realized how many people shell out the extra bucks for premium tv like hbo/showtime. In the past when they've had free weekends it was a bunch of moves from the 80's and 90's that were repeated ad nauseam so it never seemed something worth paying extra for.

Good to know I'm not alone - and I know I can just not watch the show no biggie. It's just that the endless promotion and the circlejerk surrounding the show is nauseating to me. Guess I also never realized how many people shell out the extra bucks for premium tv like hbo/showtime. In the past when they've had free weekends it was a bunch of moves from the 80's and 90's that were repeated ad nauseam so it never seemed something worth paying extra for.

Well, for millions it's a big event. It's been over 440 days since the end of the last season, and stakes are high with the show down to its final 14 episodes. It's the crown jewel of HBO's programming and they're going to get the word out in every way possible - and interesting to note the viewership of GoT increases each year.

What many think is a fantasy/Dungeons & Dragons show is actually a strategic political drama/character study in chainmail. This show rewards patience and investment unlike any other in history.

Whatever the cost is for a two month subscription to HBO ($30?) is more than worth it compared to the summer movies many plunk down just as much for - and you get 14+ hours of grand storytelling. To each his own though - I still haven't watched The Wire...

No R rated shows or movies? Boy you sound pretty boring. Rest of world will just have to enjoy greatest story telling and entertaining show ever made without you.

I d

I don't give a rats ass about this show either.

Sons of Anarchy has it all over this show!

Isn't the act of starting a thread proclaiming that you Don't Give a Frick proof that you at the very least Could Care Less?

This thread goes to show how involved people are with this show. Plenty of emotional attachment. From what I've read it has drawn people in like no other. This sample would seem to confirm that. Good stuff.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
FWIW, biggest audience ever to watch GOT - 16.1 million viewers, and 100% Rotten Tomatoes score.

Reactions: TheGLOV
My father likes sports and world events. He doesn't care about dragons, rings of power, or who Luke's father was. But Daniel Lewis as Lincoln, he's in. Some people just don't like fantasy or creative writing in made up worlds in any setting. No biggie.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I've never seen any part of any episode. Have friends who love it though

Personally , I can't wait for season 5 of Ray Donovan starting in August.

That's my favorite show right now
This and Curb Your Enthusiasm are my favorites as well.

Maybe it gets the endless promotion because it's so popular....and maybe it's so popular because it's so good. You don't usually see endless promotion for a crappy show. GOT is as good or better than any show on TV and that's just my opinion. I personally never understood the endless fascination with Breaking Bad. I thought it was an okay show, but I liked a lot of shows much better than that one. But if people liked it then that's their choice.

My father likes sports and world events. He doesn't care about dragons, rings of power, or who Luke's father was. But Daniel Lewis as Lincoln, he's in. Some people just don't like fantasy or creative writing in made up worlds in any setting. No biggie.
Did he like Lincoln as a vampire hunter?

Maybe it gets the endless promotion because it's so popular....and maybe it's so popular because it's so good. You don't usually see endless promotion for a crappy show. GOT is as good or better than any show on TV and that's just my opinion. I personally never understood the endless fascination with Breaking Bad. I thought it was an okay show, but I liked a lot of shows much better than that one. But if people liked it then that's their choice.

I'm kind of the same way- Breaking Bad was pretty good, but not to the level that people talk about it.

Game of Thrones smokes it.

I was like you two years ago. Not with the advertising stuff. I haven't noticed much more than any superhero summer movie hype. But with the I don't have time for it and I don't get the buzz. Then I had eye surgery in Nov 15 and binged it. The only other series I had ever binged was right prior to that on same leave with Breaking Bad.

I will tell you this. It is by far my favorite show going and top 5 ever. I have watched some episodes multiple times.

BUT I am not the crazed fan many are. We do not have HBO nor do we pirate over the internet. So, I am the rare crow who waits for them to be issued on dvd. I don't purchase them though. I either loan from the library (our county buys and loans hundreds of each series) or I borrow from a friend who purchased it.

So my suggestion is find it at your library online and order it. Watch the entire first season. Not just a couple. I can almost guarantee you will be hooked. Everyone I have mentioned it to except for 2 people have become instant fans. The story, the acting, the production, attention to detail, the surprises, the gore, the nudity, you name it is all wrapped up into a series of movies.

Now last year I did go to an opening watch party to get a taste of the first episode but then I waited. Tomorrow I do the same for the one that aired Sunday. I have had thoughts of getting HBO for 2 months (1 month free) and watching it but haven't decided yet.

Oh and if you end up enjoying it, the ads that bug you so much will make more sense. Things like Cold Plays Red Nose Charity skit a few years ago as well as skits from the nightly talk shows will be interesting and humorous to you going forward if you enjoy GOT.

My ring tone is even the opening score. I have had countless strangers over just a year talk to me when they hear the phone ring. It is very catchy just like the series. GO FOR IT my friend and thank us later.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I have still not finished watching last year's episodes. It has became less and less interesting to me and more bizarre. I don;t care much about any of the characters. So if they die off, no biggie ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT