ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How long would you wait for a late interview hire

How late can a prospect show up for an interview at 1PM?

• Total voters
I have friends running businesses who have noticed this for several years now. Millennials just skipping the job interview and then ghosting the employer. Kind of sucks. But there is a little bit of justice to it. How many employers over the years in tough job markets would take 500 applications and 20 interviews and never bothered to even acknowledge the applicants or return their calls. Ghosting goes both ways.
That's fair--you're right that employers don't do a great job of notifying candidates they don't intend to hire. It's only a risky move for the candidate if they ever may want to work their in the future. A company with a good HR group will track that.

We won't conduct the interview if they're more than 5 minutes late but if they're late, even a minute, there's no chance I'm hiring them.
Being late for an interview is a bad look but I think there are circumstances where it can be excused. An example would be getting caught in traffic due to a car accident. IMO the candidate should be able to call ahead and explain.

it depends. i hire engineers and I have had a person late and it did not bother me. they lived about 40 minutes away and gave themselves an hour, he said there was a major accident and he showed up about 15 minutes late as the road was shut down. He called me about 15 minutes before the interview, explained the situation of the accident and said that he was out of it now and the GPS said he would arrive at 10:15. Why would I hold that against him? To throw away a good candidate because there was a major accident that nobody can really plan for is just dumb.

on the flip side, i had a guy interview that had a really nice resume, was very good in the interview, but kept asking about work from home. he literally lived in the same town as me and it is a 30 minute commute to work. our office policy is 3 day in, 2 work from home. the guy said he worked 100% remote in his role now and asked about only 2 days in the office versus 3. during the interview he mentioned how he was part owner of a local small micro-brewery that was not too far from the office. in negotiating the job with him, he went from being OK with 2 days in office to requesting that he be able to work only a partial day in the office and leave at lunch and work from home the rest of the day. it got to the point where i just didn't believe that he was give me 40 hours of work as it became obvious to me he wanted to work from home in order to be able to spend time working on his brew pub.
You made a good call there. If you had offered him 2 days in the office when everyone else had 3 days in then that was going to be an issue for you among other employees. Sounds like he really didn't want the job and he was totally moonlighting with the brew pub.

I have friends running businesses who have noticed this for several years now. Millennials just skipping the job interview and then ghosting the employer. Kind of sucks. But there is a little bit of justice to it. How many employers over the years in tough job markets would take 500 applications and 20 interviews and never bothered to even acknowledge the applicants or return their calls. Ghosting goes both ways.
I didn't know that but it is kind of funny to see a company get totally ghosted. They do it all the time to candidates and think nothing of it. How difficult is it to send a standard two sentence reject note but rarely does it happen these days.

If you are a small company, that kind of sucks to get ghosted but these larger companies with HR people who are too lazy to follow up with candidates, now that is justice to see those tools get ghosted.

My biggest thing with tattoos is most of them are terrible at the beginning and wear even worse. There are very few truly gifted artists out there. Most are mediocre or worse.
At one point maybe 15 years ago I was a teacher in an alternative night school program for kids who had situations where they could not attend during the "regular" school day. These kids were drug/ alcohol users caught possessing in school (not dealers), gang affiliated boys who had multiple physical altercations, some "good" kids who had to work during the day to support their family and quite a few teen moms.

One girl got a Minnie Mouse tat for "free" from a new artist who was looking for clients to promote him. The other girls were offered a "deal" of $25 each and they all got them. It didn't take long for them to realize that sometimes you get what you pay for....

If you are going to be late, you'd better call and it better be a valid reason. If late and no call, it's quick and no hire no matter how impressive. However, rudeness is the norm today.
We cannot find many young professionals willing to work. Most won't even come in for interviews unless they can work from home full time. This seems to be the norm now. Only people willing to work seem to be 50 - 70 yrs old.

Younger people seem okay with sitting at home collecting from the government or mom and dad, instead of working in an office for a good starting salary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT