ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Houston devastation photos and video...........

Random information from CNN:
  1. 9.92 inches of rain fell at a location near the Houston airport in 90 minutes.
  2. The two rainiest days in the recorded history of Houston took place on Saturday (12.07 inches) and Sunday (10.99 inches).

when they showed the satellite dopplar radar, the eye of the storm just didn't move and all you saw was the rain going around in a circle, that seemed to be the issue. Usually the hurricanes blow through and move along but for some reason, the storm just sat there for an extended period of time like in slow motion just dumping the rain. So the storm would dump the rain, circle out back to the gulf and pick up more moisture and dump it back on land. Houston is much, much larger in population and buildings then New Orleans. I could see the ultimate damage total being much, much higher.

when they showed the satellite dopplar radar, the eye of the storm just didn't move and all you saw was the rain going around in a circle, that seemed to be the issue. Usually the hurricanes blow through and move along but for some reason, the storm just sat there for an extended period of time like in slow motion just dumping the rain. So the storm would dump the rain, circle out back to the gulf and pick up more moisture and dump it back on land. Houston is much, much larger in population and buildings then New Orleans. I could see the ultimate damage total being much, much higher.
Average speed over the weekend was 4mph.

I see the Houston mayor is catching some heat for not evacuating. For the most part, able bodied people will be fine (if not their possessions) but the real problem is the old and sick. I talked to a guy who lived through Katrina and was in charge of a hospital. There were simply people that could not be moved under any circumstances. People that were terminal but had several more days/weeks to live. What happens to them? Also, people on machines, evacuation is pretty much a death sentence. Evacuating an entire city will kill people too. No easy answers.

Reactions: BBrown and tgar
I see the Houston mayor is catching some heat for not evacuating. For the most part, able bodied people will be fine (if not their possessions) but the real problem is the old and sick. I talked to a guy who lived through Katrina and was in charge of a hospital. There were simply people that could not be moved under any circumstances. People that were terminal but had several more days/weeks to live. What happens to them? Also, people on machines, evacuation is pretty much a death sentence. Evacuating an entire city will kill people too. No easy answers.

How do you evacuate 7M people? The forecast for the storm path changed once it hit land...the models didn't have the storm stalling for 5 days.

Any news on if opening the dams has helped (though it obviously was going to directly impact some in a very adverse way)?

Any news on if opening the dams has helped (though it obviously was going to directly impact some in a very adverse way)?
Unfortunately what I've been reading doesn't look good. I'm reading that the water levels are continuing to rise, despite floodgates being open. The water is coming in faster than it's going out. If the rain rates remain constant for a while, this could mean that the water goes over the spillways. Houston issuing some mandatory evacuations in targeted areas related to pumping problems and the like.

The only time I saw something like that was the 24 inches in 24 h in Chicago the night that TWA flight blew up over the Atlantic. My wife's car got flooded--sitting in a parking lot. Somehow we managed to find a trailer to haul it back to Columbus on. But it was never the same and finally it blew an engine, likely because not all the water got out of the block.

The only time I saw something like that was the 24 inches in 24 h in Chicago the night that TWA flight blew up over the Atlantic. My wife's car got flooded--sitting in a parking lot. Somehow we managed to find a trailer to haul it back to Columbus on. But it was never the same and finally it blew an engine, likely because not all the water got out of the block.
Yeah, beware of used cars from the Houston area.

I wonder if New Orleans is in a position to offer assistance to Houston. If I recall, there were a good number of New Orleans residents who were re-located to Houston for a good period of time after Katrina.

I wonder if New Orleans is in a position to offer assistance to Houston. If I recall, there were a good number of New Orleans residents who were re-located to Houston for a good period of time after Katrina.
I think they should have R titles if proper channels are followed. Though that obviously doesn't always happen. Can always stack them up and create a border wall for Mexico. :cool:

And some never went back. But what I've heard is that the "Cajun Navy" is helping out, as they have the right kind of boats for this work (shallow draft for one).

And some never went back. But what I've heard is that the "Cajun Navy" is helping out, as they have the right kind of boats for this work (shallow draft for one).
People in La will do whatever they can. I lived in NOLA during Katrina and even though my house made out fine I had to work in Memphis for about 6-7 months while are work building was fixed up. From the second we got to Memphis until we left we were treated like royalty. Free dinners, discounts on hotels....it was great to see. If people aren't giving right now to the cause in Houston, they really should be. That city is huge and it will take years to rebuild it.

Quick engineering question. With all the overpasses and buildings that are markedly covered in water, does a structural engineer have to assess each one before they are deemed safe for use?

People in La will do whatever they can. I lived in NOLA during Katrina and even though my house made out fine I had to work in Memphis for about 6-7 months while are work building was fixed up. From the second we got to Memphis until we left we were treated like royalty. Free dinners, discounts on hotels....it was great to see. If people aren't giving right now to the cause in Houston, they really should be. That city is huge and it will take years to rebuild it.
What's the best way to get money to where it's needed most?

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Red Cross; is that the best choice?

If you are on Facebook, go to Penn State, there is a post for the Penn State Alumni Assoc., Houston Chapter lists a few charities.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Quick engineering question. With all the overpasses and buildings that are markedly covered in water, does a structural engineer have to assess each one before they are deemed safe for use?
All the erosion and debris hitting the structures could affect their integrity. It would be smart to do so.

How do you evacuate 7M people? The forecast for the storm path changed once it hit land...the models didn't have the storm stalling for 5 days.
I didn't catch much of the news this morning but I think they said it's picking up steam again over the gulf. Looks like it's not going away any time soon.

No. Looked to be due south of Houston and moving northeast. Looks to skirt Houston, thank God.
yeah, this would be helpful for Houston; still a major rain producer for Louisiana

092407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Without a doubt - and that will take a lot of time, to inspect and even more time especially if there is potential damage. And it's not just overpasses and buildings - roadways can be undermined by erosion if the storm sewers are damaged (and they most certainly would be).

The affects of this storm may very well felt for months.

Reactions: katchthis

It seems to be a somewhat common theme that some have concerns about donating to the Red Cross based on past events. If so, here are some alternative organizations you can donate to if you are so inclined.

National Voluntary Organizations in Disaster: www.nvoad.org
Houston Food Bank: www.houstonfoodbank.org
Greater Houston Community Foundation: http://ghcf.org

I haven't seen a lot of specifics for organizations that are targeting help for some of the smaller coastal communities, but areas like Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, Rockport, Corpus Christi, Bastrop, etc. will likely also need help so please keep them in mind. Houston is justifiably dominating the news right now given the number of people at risk, but there are many, many areas of Texas that will need help in the coming months/years.

Reactions: We Are . . .
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT